The other FBS Louisiana School - Louisiana Tech Game Summaries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by SodaAddict, Jul 23, 2010.

1. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

The other FBS Louisiana School - Louisiana Tech Game Summaries

Louisiana Tech started the season off against FBS whipping boy, Army, in a 21-0 win. In what can only be viewed as an auspicious beginning to the Tech season, Army fumbled the opening kickoff which was recovered by Tech for a touchdown. Thus, Louisiana Tech scored on their first play of the season.

The game would quickly escalate to 21-0 by halfway in to the 2nd quarter, and coach Chris Hill decided to test his players on how well they new the playbook for the remainder of the game. Hill seemed to learn a lot about his team and he will need every bit of that knowledge as his team will certainly be the underdogs against Texas A&M next week.

2. SodaAddict

In Games 2 and 3, Louisiana Tech took on Texas A&M and Navy, respectively. In both games Louisiana Tech led the majority of the game only to have last minute drives cost the Bulldogs the lead. In the game against Texas A&M, the Aggies tied it up with about a minute to go and Louisiana Tech drove down the field, setting up a perfect game-winning field goal situation from the 25 but fate would not allow the Bulldogs to hit the field goal and they would eventually lose in double OT.

In the game against Navy, the Bulldogs found themselves up 10 in the 4th quarter before Navy put together a comeback on its last two possessions to take the lead with less than a minute to go. Yet again, the Bulldogs drove down the field and had a wide-open opportunity to score with less than five seconds to go, but it was not meant to be as the pass landed directly in front of a hapless wide receiver who seemed to have no idea the pass was an inch from his hands and Louisiana Tech lost its second consecutive game via heart-breaker.

3. SodaAddict

Game 4 found Louisiana Tech in desperate need of a win against Southern Miss. A win here would move the Bulldogs to 2-2 and get them back on the right track for a positive season.

What would ensue was one of the greatest offensive battles ever seen.

Southern Miss would get on the board first, striking on a huge 3rd down pass from their own 6 over the top off the La Tech cover 4 defense for a 94 yard touchdown. They would add two field goals to go up 13-0 early in the 2nd quarter before La Tech began to fight back.

La Tech quickly drove down the field, determined to get back in the game and finished a less than one minute drive up with a 9 yard touchdown pass. 20 seconds later, the Bulldogs would recover a timely fumble for 34 yards and a Louisiana Tech touchdown to suddenly give them the lead. The new score stood at La Tech 14 - Southern Miss 13

Still in the second quarter, Southern Miss would strike back in a hurry, as 50 seconds after losing the lead, the Southern Miss Eagles connected on a 53 yard pass for a huge touchdown to steal back the lead making the score La Tech 14 - Southern Miss 20

On the ensuing drive, Louisiana Tech would lose their starting quarterback for the remainder of the game but was able to answer the Southern Miss score in the 2nd quarter to gain the lead 21 - 20 before Southern Miss put together a nice 2 minute drive to get back in the lead. Then, after the kickoff, Louisiana Tech would throw an interception off of a near-sack and Southern Miss was able to score yet again before the end of the half, but the Southern Miss kicker would miss his extra point.

The score at halftime: Louisiana Tech 21 - Southern Miss 33
    Lead Changes: 4

To start the 2nd half, Southern Miss decided to bring the house to try to catch Louisiana Tech off guard and maybe set up another interception. Instead, the Bulldogs' backup quarterback was able to connect with wide receiver A. Paige for a huge 86 yard touchdown play to get the Bulldogs back in the game.
    Sure enough Southern Miss would answer yet again in quick fashion, taking the wind back out of the Bulldogs sails temporarily, even though the Southern Miss kicker managed to miss his 2nd consecutive extra point. Then, beginning to feel the pressure, the Bulldogs were somehow able to connect on another over-blitzed play for another over-50 yard wide-open pass for a touchdown, and since it was in the 3rd quarter and the score was then 34-39, the Bulldogs decided to go for 2 to make it a 3 point game and were able to connect, making the new score Louisiana Tech 36 - Southern Miss 39.

Still in the third quarter, the Bulldogs were able to get a huge stop in order to set up a chance to take the lead. Yet, on 1st down, Southern Miss picked off the backup's pass for an easy 24 yard interception return to put them back up by 10 after the extra point finally made it through the uprights.

Still in the game and still in the 3rd quarter, the Bulldogs tried to respond unsuccessfully and were picked off for the 2nd straight possession, setting Southern Miss up for a short-field opportunity which they would make the best of, scoring on a 38 yard pass and putting Southern Miss up by 17 points late in the 3rd quarter.

I don't know what they were thinking or how they didn't learn their lesson, but sure enough, Southern Miss decided to blitz heavy yet again on the ensuing drive, allowing Louisiana Tech to connect on a 69 yard pass for the 10th combined touchdown in two quarters between the two teams, following the touchdown Louisiana Tech again converted for two, anticipating the possibility that they might need to make up for the 3 points necessary to make the game one possession.

The score at the end of the 3rd quarter:
    Louisiana Tech - 44
    Southern Miss - 53

Right before the beginning of the 4th quarter, Southern Miss would fumble the ball away giving Louisiana Tech a chance to, yet again, get back in the game. Louisiana tech capitalized with a 9 yard pass from the backup qb, his 5th of the game, but the Bulldogs were stopped on the two point conversion attempt that would have made it a one point game at the goal line.

After a stop, Louisiana Tech would find itself with an opportunity to put together a drive to go up for the first time since the second quarter. After burning a lot of clock, Louisiana Tech managed to take the lead with just 2:18 remaining, making the score Louisiana Tech 57 - Southern Miss 53.

But Southern Miss would not be denied, staring a 4th down in the face with 1:30 remaining, they converted with a long pass which would set up a pass to the corner to a Southern Miss receiver who would be ruled out of bounds. But, just as Louisiana Tech began to celebrate, the replay booth called down to have the play reviewed and it would eventually be deemed a touchdown for Southern Miss, giving them the lead again with only 52 seconds to go.

Louisiana Tech was desolate. The fans began to file out of the stadium because they had seen this before. The previous two weeks, the Bulldogs were up going in to what was to be their opponents final drive, only for that team to make it all the way down the field to score a touchdown. This would make three consecutive weeks that the Bulldogs lost in this fashion.

So, dejected and clearly defeated, Louisiana Tech took to the field for one last ditch effort to drive down the field and send it to OT. On 1st and 3rd downs, Bulldog receivers dropped passes, setting up what appeared to be the final play with about 30 seconds to go. The Bulldogs' backup QB snapped the ball and looked for his receiver, he checked down and began to feel the pressure. Just before being sacked the halfback escaped out of the pocket to go out for a dump route, where the QB threw a prayer. The linebacker took off for the halfback with the desire to finish the game and hit him just short of the 1st down line, but the running back would not be denied! He plowed his way forward for the first down and Louisiana Tech felt a surge of energy as it lined up in the no huddle with less than 30 seconds to go. On the ensuing play from about their own 40 yard line, backup qb Cameron dropped back and looked for his receiver, the pocket held and Cameron connected on a nice 25 yard strike. Louisiana Tech was in Southern Miss territory with about 20 seconds to go. Now, it should be noted that each of the last two weeks, this same thing has happened. Louisiana Tech was able to respond to the last minute drives to get in scoring range, only to be stopped just short.

So, picking up where we left off, Louisiana Tech would snap the ball and find a receiver for another 20 yards or so, putting them at about the 15 yard line with 8 seconds to go and no timeouts. Remembering what happened two weeks ago against Texas A&M, the Bulldogs decided to give it one last try for the end zone before attempting a field goal to send the game in to OT. They knew it had to be quick. They knew it had to be in the end zone or else a completed pass could mean the end of the game. Cameron received the snap and instantly looked to his receiver in the middle of the field streaking to the end zone, he threw the strike, keeping one eye on his receiver and one eye on the ball and watched the clock tick down to 3 seconds as his wide receiver made contact with the ball. The wide receiver, R. Stuart, put his hands around the ball in the end zone and was immediately drilled by the safety, who was NOT able to knock the ball loose as the Bulldogs scored the game-winning touchdown with 2 seconds left to win the game in epic fashion!

Final Score:
    Louisiana Tech - 64
    Southern Miss - 60

Total Offense:
    Louisiana Tech - 648
    Southern Miss - 613

Passing Yards:
    Louisiana Tech - 635
    Southern Miss - 532

Turnovers:
    Louisiana Tech - 4 (All INTs)
    Southern Miss - 2 (Both Fumbles)

Total Yards:
    Louisiana Tech - 828
    Southern Miss - 766
    Both Teams Combined - 1,594

4. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

Wow...congrats on a big win for your program...and with a back up QB!

5. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

That's a lot of points

6. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

I'm still not sure which is more impressive...winning a game like that with a back up QB.....or the two teams combining for 1500+ yards, without overtime, and no one dying from exhaustion after having run all off that.

How many yards receiving did your highest WR have? 250+?

7. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Aggressive temp? No Huddle?

8. SodaAddict

Nope, it was just big play after big play. I tried cover 3, cover 4, Velcro, man, trying to get more pressure, pass commit, and backing away at the line... and none of it worked. They just kept going to whatever receiver they wanted deep over top.

Both teams had a defensive touchdown at the beginning of the other team's drive to make for quick scores as well.

I have never seen anything like it. I mean, I played it like I have played all of my other games. I even started an offline dynasty with La Tech at the same time as this one to help me get used to them and all of my games have been regular scores. Oddly, playing with the same sliders, schedule, and settings, I am undefeated and haven't won a game by less than 10 points on that dynasty, yet I'm 2-2 and nearly 1-3 in this league.

The one thing is that La Tech uses an Air Raid offense with Special Teams, Goal line, and 15 different shotgun formations. That's the whole book. There's maybe a total of 15-20 running plays in the whole thing and most of them just simply don't work. So, I am obligated to pass the vast majority of the time, which was planned because I wanted to use this experience to work on reading the defenses more quickly.

But yeah, it was like they were unstoppable on offense and completely stupid on defense. So many times they would blitz 7 or 8 and with all of my receivers out there, it was like Christmas every time.

My QB's combined to go 30-56 for 7 touchdowns, 635 yards, and 4 INT's.
    The CPU went 29-40 for 4 touchdowns and 526 yards.

My #5 Receiver ended up with the big day, as he was the main one that wasn't getting covered on the big blitzes.

He had 13 catches for 374 yards and 4 TD's. (Average of nearly 30 a catch)
    My #3 Receiver had 5 catches for 94 yards.
    My #4 Receiver had 3 catches for 69 yards.
    My #6 Receiver had 2 catches for 67 yards.
    My RB had 2 catches for 9 yards
    My #1 Receiver had 2 catches for 15 yards
    My #2 Receiver had 2 catches for 2 yards
    My TE had 1 catch for 5 yards

I was running mostly out of 4 and 5 wide sets, obviously, and my #1 and #2 guys were getting covered up, but the slot guys were getting open, especially the #5 guy on those blitzes.

The difference in ratings between my #1 and #5 is 79 to 71, so it's pretty even all the way through my depth chart, and my #5 guy is my fastest speed guy at 91.

9. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

5th WR does get alot of space when covered by linebackers.

10. SodaAddict

One week after an epic 64-60 victory against Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech opened up WAC conference play with a game against Hawaii.

Louisiana Tech would go down early 13-0 after two Hawaii touchdowns and a missed extra point, but the Bulldogs would answer in a hurry with two fast drives to close the second half that would put Louisiana Tech up 14-13 going in to the locker room. Hawaii would gather up a fumble early in the 3rd and quickly march in for a touchdown and 2 point conversion to go up 21-14 before Louisiana Tech resumed the form it found in the late 2nd quarter, adding two more touchdowns in the 3rd quarter to make the score 28-21 in favor of Louisiana Tech. Tech would get in scoring position again early in the fourth but only managed a field goal to go up 31-21. Hawaii answered quickly with a touchdown drive that made the score 31-28 and seemed to be poised to mount a last minute comeback that Louisiana Tech fans have been on the sour end of on each of the previous three weeks. But this time, Louisiana Tech's defense stood strong in response to an interception and proceeded to melt the last 6 minutes of the clock on strong runs and short passes. It was certainly a step in the right direction for the Bulldogs' program as they moved to 3-2 on the year.

In a stark difference to last week, the Bulldogs started to show some poise today. Given, they still allowed 379 yards of offense, including 356 through the air, but only 4 touchdowns allowed this week. Certainly, without watching the game, its easy to chalk this up as a poor defensive effort, but many of the Hawaii passes were completed through double coverage, or in one particular situation, off of a player's own back before he turned around and caught it.

Meanwhile, Louisiana Tech put together a 496 yard effort, mainly on the back of 434 yards passing, but also supported by 62 yards passing off of 22 attempts, the most significant rushing effort of the season for the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs attempted several runs from the usual shotgun formations but were stopped behind the line of scrimmage every time. However, rush attempts from the goal line formation started showing potential for success. It will be interesting to see if coach Hill is able to find a way to implement a more sufficient rushing attack as the season progresses forward.

Bulldogs QB Ross Jenkins returned to action at times today, as his ribs were still an issue as he was helped off the field on two separate occasions after hard hits. Still, he was effective in his stints in the game, going 22 for 38 on his passes for 378 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 2 interceptions.

The Bulldogs Receiving effort was the most fine-tuned it has looked all season, with 8 players making at least one catch on the day.

Receiving Stats:
    P. Livas (WR) - 5 catches, 91 yards
    C. Williams (WR) - 4 catches, 112 yards, 1 TD
    L. Fitte (WR) - 4 catches, 77 yards, 1 TD
    R. Stuart (WR) - 4 catches, 37 yards, 1 TD
    C. Spence (TE) - 4 catches, 66 yards
    T. Duplessis (HB) - 2 catches, 11 yards
    A. Paige (WR) - 2 catches, 26 yards, 1 TD
    C. Chambers (TE) - 1 catch, 14 yards

11. SodaAddict

In yet another heartbreaker, Louisiana Tech lost today to Utah State (sreese) in Triple OT 42-40 after an opportunity to win in Double OT via field goal bounced off the bottom crossbar.

In regulation, Louisiana Tech kicked a field goal to go up 4 points with about 5 minutes to play in the game and had Utah State backed in to a 3rd and 19 before the Utah State quarterback found an open spot in the zone for a huge touchdown that put Utah State up by 3.

Immediately after that, a Louisiana Tech pass bounced off of a defensive tackle directly up in the air to be picked off by a Utah State defender, and Utah State would quickly score to seemingly put the game out of hand. Louisiana Tech quickly drove back down the field and scored with about a minute to go but they still found themselves down three points.

Then, in a miracle, the Bulldogs recovered the ensuing onside kick and, following three complete misfires by the Louisiana Tech quarterback, they were able to get a first down on fourth and 10 and were eventually able to get in to field goal range for the game-tying field goal to end regulation.

The teams exchanged touchdowns in the first OT, then in the 2nd OT, Louisiana Tech's defense made a huge 4th and 1 stop to put the offense in a position to win the game. Worrying about the kicker's distance and accuracy, the Bulldogs ran three plays trying to pick up some extra yards before bringing the field goal unit on to try and win the game. The field goal would appear headed to be the game-winner when it died just before the goal posts and bounced off the bottom crossbar and fell to the ground just short.

In triple OT, Louisiana Tech struck first with a touchdown but was unable to convert the two point conversion when the Bulldogs receiver dropped the pass at the 1 yard line, one of 10 dropped passes for Bulldogs receivers.

Utah State quickly responded with a touchdown of their own and ran a toss left in for the game-winning two point conversion.

This puts Louisiana Tech at 3-3 on the season and Utah State at 5-1. All of Louisiana Tech's losses have come in games where they found themselves ahead to begin the 4th quarter. In fact, Louisiana Tech has led to begin the 4th quarter in each game except its epic 64-60 win against Southern Miss. In its three losses, the margin of loss has combined for 12 points (an average of 4 point margin per loss).