The Peon's Perspective

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by I Peench, Feb 29, 2012.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Bear with me on this one guys...as Lebowski would say, I'm not into the whole brevity thing.

In light of the recent changes/discussions, I thought I'd add some additional input from an alternative perspective. I can't claim TSO veteran status here at all. I was over at O.S. for years and was very active over there. I ran some great NCAA leagues in my time there, and was randomly contacted by Nautica to participate in a tradition football NCAA league. Had no idea who the guy was, but I grabbed my buddy JFace and rolled on over here. Something about O.S. had just grown very stale, and I was looking for a change.

The more I think about Sean's post, the more I'm reminded of my conversion to TSO and its relevancy for the sake of this post. Upon reflection, I can't help but really sense an Operation Sports "feel" to this league (no offense to those guys over there who do great things in their own right). My leagues there were frustrating. There was constant turnover and confusion about the meaning of "sim," which lead to arguments and animosity. The site was so big that people could hide from taking accountability for their actions or words...just pop into another league who would unknowingly accept a jerkoff who'd run another 3-4 guys out of the league.

So what makes TSO so different to me? Why did I convert and never look back? To draw this distinction, I retraced my steps and tried to remember my first impression of TSO. Immediately I remember feeling a bit weird when I was asked to submit an application and post in the "get to know ya's thread". "Really?" I asked myself. "Isn't this a bit creepy? I don't even know who the hell these guys are, and they are posting pictures of each other." But, for the sake of trying to integrate myself, I played along. Before I knew it, I was great friends with so many of the guys in my league. We'd bullshit on skype, talk on the mic when we were playing other games, etc. I couldn't believe it. Was I a loser talking to these other gamers I hadn't even met in person?

Then I realized, I didn't really need to meet these guys. Sure, it'd be great, but at the end of the day what drew them to this site was exactly what drew me to the site... the possibility of a responsible, mature, sim experience. Losers cheese because they haven't played football or followed the game of football closely enough to understand what its all about, and take pride in the chess match that this lovely game can be. These guys were more like me than I had ever known.

The sense of community this site instills is second to none. That is what this league is missing. It got too big too fast, and there was too much new blood. Blame Keller all you want, but this would've been an exceptionally difficult challenge for anyone. I don't really "know" any of the guys in this league. Shit, we were all on chatbox a lot the other night and it was one of the most positive steps this leagues taken in my very humble opinion.

By becoming friendly, discussions become healthier and people are less likely to take constructive criticism the wrong way. Like Shaun said, the purpose of that discussion is to have a mature conversation about how to improve. But, because we lack this sense of togetherness and familiarity, people take them as attacks. "Who the hell is this guy to tell me what to do." Attacks turn into animosity. Animosity fuels the awful habit of talking about people behind their backs. This is how everything has spun out of control.

Yes, people should get "report cards" so to speak, and they should be sent to the powers that be. Not everyone is cut out for premier leagues, and they need to figure out who is/isn't. But I think its time we all start getting to know one another well enough that these can be open discussions. By copying this to the opponent, they get a better sense of what they can do to acclimate to this legue/site. What they need to do to to be granted access to premier league.

Having said that, I've also seen a lack of accountability. The contact sheet is there for a reason. Do everything you can to schedule your game, or let your commissioner know your game was simmed. It is incumbent upon you to step up to the plate and take a pro-active approach to this league. A happy, friendly and close group won't ensure success.

Ultimately, I do believe everyone has come here for the purpose of experiencing a sim madden league, and that everyone has the potential to participate in a premier league. If we proceed with that understanding, and a galvanized sense of mutual understanding, I don't see why this league can't be wildly successful.

-Peench

• Like Like x 3
  2. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I remember when you first joined us I Peench and actually I believe I was your first game, and from day one things in the AFC West has been a good division and with the division adding The Natural it will really make it a good solid staple with three solid owners. Even tho I have yet to play Natural I have had some good games with Peench and speak highly of his game play and the communication level has been very open in regards to play styles.

I don't remember one instance of having any problems in a game with you and have really looked forward to the division rivalry games with you. I expect the AFC West to be a leading prime example for other divisions to follow and can say much to the same of the NFC South with the Saints, Panthers and Falcons as three very solid owners who I have had great games against and open dialogue.

I look forward to playing with you for the remainder of Madden 12 and for whatever part of Madden 13 I may be around for as we might have a deployment to Afghanistan coming down the pipe so I may have to leave for part of Madden 13 but until I get official notice I look forward to playing with you in Madden 13 whether we are in the same division or not.

Also keep the content coming, I liked the previewing FA and expect to see some other great stuff from you (y)

This was more intended to show appreciation towards a good solid new owner, who like myself has had to step away for a while but even while inactive on the console was still active on the boards and that to me shows a lot and that he wants to be here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Great posts. I always try to keep open communication to discuss things and try not to make anything personal. Hopefully we can build upon all of the great discussion we have had over the past week and become a better league.

4. bjbdahitman

bjbdahitman Andy Reid to KC... Finally a real coach...

5. bjbdahitman

I would enjoy getting to know you guys better, and think it would bring us closer together as a league. I'm still fairly new to TSO, and I thought the same thing about the application process. JSimms and I are very good friends, practically family, and we speak daily about the league and the direction it's going, but it would be nice to feel like I can talk to guys on here, and get to know them personally.

I play competitive softball and love sports in general. What I'm saying is I'm sure there are a ton of guys on here that I have a lot in common with. I look forward to interacting with you guys through the league, and hope to eventually be considered one of the guys.

6. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I will says bjb, after playing you last year and the style of play I was not impressed with it as I spoke to you about after the game but I did like how you handled it and took it in a positive way and bettered yourself. We handled it in a good positive way through PM and didn't turn it into a big issue on the boards, but handled it through PM like adults in a good way.

I will say i enjoyed negotiating with you in the off-season and found a different aspect of your game. I have done some research and heard about how you have played this year and heard a lot of positives towards it. I have seen you grow a lot in the last year both as an owner and as a player with conforming a lot to the TSO standards of play. As well as seeing you a lot more active on the boards. I think a lot of us did not know how to take you as an owner or as a person with your lack of presence on the boards.

My opinion of you changed a lot during the off-season and really showed me a lot and think you will be a positive owner in the present and future TMFL and think if you stay active on the boards and even throw up some content of your own and really try to immerse yourself into the community and show some more of the TMFL "vets" what I got to see this past off-season.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bjbdahitman

Thanks kdpnutter that means a lot to me and very much enjoy negotiating with you as well.

8. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Fantastic insight. I remember when you came over, because I recognized you from lurking O.S. I'm glad you found a place to call home.:)
    That's what I'm after. It is that dynamic that makes TSO great. In my NCAA league (The Deuce), I talk to those guys in real life all the time...they are truly my friends and as such we treat each other with a much higher level of deference than most.

9. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Very good post and i know how that is. HK is like that and probably why i struggled to get a feel for this league. What happens there is 100 percent about just playing our fellow league members. We joke carry on and just enjoy playing and just chatting things up. I was shellshocked coming over here cause HK was the only way i have played Madden and couldn't believe what was going on here. I would love to see this league get to cause there really is a great core of guys here. Shaun Mason is really working on getting this league to the elite status for everyone to base leagues off. He is putting in the time and i think we all owe it to him to give him our time and make this a league thats talked about in a positive light