The Power Back

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by DU55, Jul 25, 2012.

1. DU55

DU55 Walk On

Do you think the Infinity Engine will make the power back a more sought after effective runner than the dodgy speed back? I'm personally hoping so because I grew up on 3 yards and a cloud of dust football and love to chew up yards and punish defenses with smash mouth football.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

I love the power back. I prefer the Michael Turner/Ray Rice/MJD type over the Chris Johnson/Lesean Mccoy type.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DU55

DU55 Walk On

Me too, even more than those mentioned I like a Jerome Bettis / Natron Means type back.

4. CoachRedd

Closest thing to that in todays backs would have to be... Michael Bush? Toby Gerhart?

• Like Like x 1
  5. IrishBearcat

IrishBearcat tFC OD Commissioner

Marshawn Lynch definitely has some speed, but he'll run you over too.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DU55

DU55 Walk On

I'd throw Hillis in that grouping but yea, the styles of play have moved away from the punishing back these days.

7. DU55

DU55 Walk On

I won't argue with you on that point

8. CoachRedd

Yeah forgot about Hillis. He is a beast when healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Well lucky for me being the Chiefs coach, I have Hillis for power and Jamal Charles for speed. I have to come up with something besides "thunder and lightining" though. It seems every speed/power back combo goes with that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Oh hell, I've confused myself. I have the Chiefs in GMFL. I'm still good here though. I have Trent Richardson who has both traits:)

• Like Like x 1
  11. DU55

DU55 Walk On

I'm anxious to see if he can do in the NFL what he did at Bama.

12. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

As long as he can stay healthy, he'll be a beast.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Lets hope. The game as sort of gone back and forth between speed backs and power backs being better - usually as a direct result of how well the blocking is between the tackles.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Powerbacks were very effective for m12, not so much in the previous versions of Madden. Simply because the tackle animation does not start until contact is made in m12 as opposed to tackling animation started as long as you got close to the running back in previous years.

It was became very difficult to run inside the tackles in previous years when a defender didnt have to touch the runner to start tackle animations and throw in the defensive assist button, unless you ran outside, very hard to generate anything up the middle.

In m12, running up the middle or between guard and tackles were just as effective as outside runs, I believe even more so. A powerback like a peyton hillis this year was just as effective as a shady mccoy.

As long as tackling animation starts when contact is made, which it will with the new physics engine, powerbacks will continue to be effective.

15. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I'm just hoping Mikel Leshoure's injury rating isn't terrible. Jahvid Best is a decent third down back, but I prefer the power back as well.

16. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

I don't have a true "speed" or "power" back. Its going to be a fun season. Personaly favor a combo back that is quick and can truck. Marshawn Lynch/Ray Rice type

17. gaycandybacon

gaycandybacon Walk On

Ryan Grant used to be a good power back. So was Brandon Jacobs. Right now the best PB would be Micheal Turner in my opinion.

18. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

IMO. I say the Chris have the best tandem in the nfl. Hands down. Speed with Charles and BAM with hillis. Looks scary from southern mo

• Like Like x 1
  19. gaycandybacon

gaycandybacon Walk On

THE MIGHTY CHRIS's!:p

20. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I still consider Brandon Jacobs to be a good power back, and Michael Turner is a good choice. Lynch is still a beast, and even though Stephen Jackson is getting older, he still ain't easy to bring down.

Overall, if I could take any current running back as my powerback, I'd probably take Lynch.

21. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

Id grab Gore. hands down.