The Press Coverage Epidemic

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by HotRod, Nov 14, 2013.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Look it's clear that defense can be maddening (no pun intended). It can be tough to defend the pass, however it's not impossible. What I keep hearing now is that people are playing press far too often, in many cases cover 2 man under. We've all heard the stories about how coverage is a lot stronger in these cases in the game. Corners run with the receivers a lot better than off coverage and the press is very effective even with average cornerbacks. It's not something that is impossible to counter, but when people see it all game long it becomes a source of frustration. And let's not act like you don't know it's a bit overpowered or else it wouldn't be called as often as it is. Some people use it as a crutch, many use it as their third down defense. The question is, do ever feel like this is a problem?

I get far too many complaints about people using press for the majority of the game. I'm tired of it. I've asked many times for people to make the effort to mix up their play calls. There are a lot of ways to play defense other than press coverage. People say "zone doesn't work at all, other man coverages don't work, blah blah blah. Guess what, in this game there it is very rare that you will stop everything. So lets stop acting like if you don't hold your opponent to under 200 yards of offense that you failed on defense.

How about trying to bring different defensive plays, things you have never tried before. There's more at your disposal than a basic man coverage and a cover 3 and cover 2 or cover 4. You have zone blitzes, you have the ability to press a single receiver, disguise your zone coverages, shade your corners, etc. I'm not saying press coverage is outlawed but make an effort to not use it as your go to defense when it's crunch time. As the commish it's annoying to get constant PMs from everybody saying "My opponent used press too much", especially when it's people who have been guilty of doing the same exact thing to other people. I really hope that as a league we can get rid of this issue.

gtstang86
    nicknick68
    BrewBomber
    JSimms
    Ben Huh
    Blaza
    Matrix Monkey
    ZCar352
    T.B.A.R.
    Kcolyer27
    Raidernation
    HotRod
    brizz98
    Vahustla4lyfe
    kdpnutter
    Sgt Jowers
    The Rulah
    Hitmhrd72
    dakota7
    tannerwooten
    SunofGod5
    smlVICTORIES53
    Butcher Black
    CWT 3000
    Snozberriez8198
    LSUTRUTH
    charter04
    Mogriffjr
    RobbyB34
    bjbdahitman
    Kidofcrash23
    1ke

• Like Like x 8
  2. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Maybe people are confusing cover 2 man press with plays that automatically press/ delay press from a zone coverage. In my last game I manually pressed my opponent once. The rest of the time I am rotating between zones, zone blitzes and man. After the game I was told I pressed to much. I don't know what else I could have done. Personally I don't like pressing, because CB are easily beaten if it's a poor bump.

3. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Zones can actually be effective if used correctly.disguising your zone is good but mix it up too. Sometimes you get burned sometimes you don't with the zone blitz schemes but it happens, just gotta try new things.

• Like Like x 2
  4. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Exactly, I swear people just roll out basic plays and expect to stop an offense all game. I don't see a lot of different stuff too often.

5. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Except me :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    True that

7. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

I see touchdowns being called waaay too often man. I won't pm it because I want it on front street. Word up..... stop with all the scores & shit some of yall need to play some subpar offense vs the Eagles this is gettin ridiculous !! :D

Serious note my mic is on if there are any issues. Let's rap about it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Man, I have no idea what you just said.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Zone works. A majority of my calls are zone. Most of my blitzes are man though, I struggle with the zone blitzes. Any tips?

10. Raidernation

I sarcastically placed myself in the position of someone who can't play defense. Once there, in the position of someone who can play defense, I complained about the effectiveness of my previous opponents' offense. Which was completely imaginary, this was all done to make light of the subject……… this is also sarcasm, tough crowd I guess.

11. Raidernation

User the area left vulnerable by the blitzing players.

12. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

No worries man. I read it a few more times and picked up on that. I am thinking though you smoked some sweet Chiba beforehand.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Raidernation

I wish……

14. nicknick68

nicknick68 Walk On

The press is easy to beat if guys are gonna run it routinely just make them pay

• Like Like x 1
  15. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah but the point is encouraging people to mix it up on both side of the ball

16. nicknick68

nicknick68 Walk On

Yea I feel you just saying that's a quick way to make fbem change it

17. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    You would think, but it's not, lol

18. nicknick68

nicknick68 Walk On

I like press but zone is just as effective run right

19. Raidernation

The issue with that is if someone is running the BS over and over you as an offense "make 'em pay" over and over, the game becomes monotonous, entertainment gone, the league suffers. Press used strategically is a beautiful thing because with good strategy a counter for it comes naturally.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

On point Raidernation !

I think there is a break down in reading and comprehension. As this issue along with excessive side line / lateral running seems to be a steady issue.

• Like Like x 3
  21. charter04

charter04 Walk On

This might be hard to do but, it might help keep everyone honest. Why not have a post game survey. It could include question like. From 1-10 how close to sim did your opponent play? Did they abuse any coverage or routes? Blah Blah. Everyone could get a grade every game and a total grade for the season. You could make the survey confidential and you could just get a grade at the end of the year. You could include some of the most reported grips.

I just think there needs to be some real info. It's like rep in Xbox live. In this league it would be hard to feel good about that winning season if you get a D or F grade. LOL. I just don't think posting stuff like this will fully make anyone change. I will admit that I try to play sim but, I know I do some unsim things from time to time. I think every feels like they are sim but, it's when the game is on the line that people get unsim real quick. It might help to have something at the end of the season to open our eyes to what people playing us really think with out having a back and forth.

Just an idea.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Hitmhrd72

Hitmhrd72 Walk On

There is a game feedback form in the summaries section that is supposed to that. I don't think anybody uses it though.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

While there is some benefit from post game reports, at some point, people stop doing them, they go straight to the person or commish anyway. I've been in leagues that required it, first few weeks i think people fill them out and it just gets too cumbersome and dies out.

IMO which everybody always seem to say, if there is an issue, bring it up to the guy directly (of course this could some drama) or take to commish and the commish sends a PM that individual. That person will probably put together four chapters of why he wasn't pressing all game, but at least it was communicated that somebody thinks he was pressing.

Best is to have video evidence, but not everybody or pretty much almost everyone doesn't have a capture device.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Raidernation

Yup got over 100 videos like 30 views needless to say my production has dwindled. You guys definitely have some great feedback and I agree with all that's said. As I said in my complaints post if we ALL communicate things will be gravy.