The Press Room 2024

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mr2Bits, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]

1. Coach Brog, or Broge, or however you say your name, talk about expectations in East Lansing coming off your first BCS title?

2. You seem to have lost some key contributors from last season's team. Talk about whom you will miss the most and which players will fill the void.
    3. Size up your week 1 opponent, Oklahoma. What are the keys to a Spartan victory?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]
    1. Coach Funk, there is a high level of expectation in "T-town" after last year's 13-1 campaign. What are YOUR expectations for this year's team? And don't give me any of that "we just want to get better every day crap." Don't fuck around with me. Are you going to beat Auburn and Florida?
    2. Who will be your key contributors on offense this season now that you lost your 93 overall QB? (I can't remember his name because he never did anything important at Bama. I mean, he's not Namath).
    [​IMG]

3. How much of a freak is Sutherland and how much does it #sucktosuck for Michigan State to have lost him?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

1. Coach Brog, or Broge, or however you say your name, talk about expectations in East Lansing coming off your first BCS title?​

Brog (long O) is good.

We set out to win a championship every year at Michigan State. Last year we accomplished that goal on the backs of a really strong senior and junior class. In addition to winning the title in 2024, MSU led the nation in all-americans. Many of the key contributors from our championship team have moved on, but our core is still very strong. We have a tougher schedule this year (OU, @Mich, @OSU, @UF), so repeating won't be easy.

2. You seem to have lost some key contributors from last season's team. Talk about whom you will miss the most and which players will fill the void.
    We lost a lot of great football players - many of which graduated and some of which left early. The notable losses include 4 starting O-linemen, strong blocking TE Andy Montoya and 99-rated FB Jim Edwards. We lost two of our more dynamic receivers in Perry Jean and Andy Dunbar (who single-handedly beat OSU in the B10 title game). And, of course, Heisman winner Tyler Thompson, who seemed to be staying in East Lansing before a series of dropped calls frustrated him into leaving. On defense, award-winning Kyle McIntire left along with his counterpart at DE - both would have been high-90s SRs this season. And team MVP Tim Ferguson also left early to play on Sundays. Lots of great Spartan players will be missed from this championship team.
    MSU is filling some of the voids with some new faces and some guys that have been waiting for their turns. MSU is excited to put their next great HB on the field this season. Kirby Barber (one of the stars from the 2023 recruiting class) steps in as a RS-FR (87 ovr, 95 spd) ready to shoulder the load of the running game. MSU features an array of blue-chip WRs that are ready to contribute to a passing game that will be a greater emphasis for Sparty. Leading that passing attack is SR QB Jon Nugent (94 ovr, 98 accuracy) who has never lost a game as a starter.
    For the first time under this new regime, MSU is without a superstar at safety. RS-SO RJ Pressley (86 ovr) steps in at FS while 5th-year SR Brett Redd (86 ovr) gets the start as SS. Helping to take pressure off of the safeties are some of the best corners in the nation. MSU's top 3 corners go 97, 97, 90 and each of them has 98 or 99 speed. Also for the first time under this regime, MSU has 4 really good linebackers - the top 3 go 95, 93, 92. The front 4 are good, but a step down from other years. From left to right, they go 89, 92, 85, 85.
    3. Size up your week 1 opponent, Oklahoma. What are the keys to a Spartan victory?
    We're thrilled to host OU - one of the nation's premier programs - in East Lansing this year. We'll be working in a lot of new personnel and trying to establish our own identity. Our running game will still be a critical part of our offense, but it wont be the exclusive focus. On defense, we're going to bring pressure and let our corners play a lot of man defense. We have some guys that are particularly interested in reconnecting with Freddie Royal, who decommitted from MSU after signing early in 2012, and several other key guys that chose OU over MSU.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]
    1. Coach Schard, what happened out there against Virginia?
    2. Can this team rebound and win the Big XII?
    3. How is recruiting looking this season?

6. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]
    1. Coach Run, last year was a tough one for the Bucks. Can you give us a retrospective on 2024?
    2. MSU and Michigan look good, but many argue that you are still the best coach in the conference, if not the country. Can the Bucks retake the BIG?
    3. How is recruiting shaping up? I hear you guys are looking for a TE?

7. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

[​IMG]
    1. Coach Tuco, last season you were a few plays away from winning the Big XII. What will it take to get over the hump this year?
    2. How are things going on the trail?
    3. Preview your OCC schedule. What are your biggest challenges in the non-conference?

8. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

[​IMG]
    1. Coach Schard, what happened out there against Virginia?

Total embarrassment. We're just not a very good team right now. You are what your record says you are, and we are a 0-1 football team. We could not block, catch, tackle, you name it...we couldn't do it.

Virginia is a better team.

2. Can this team rebound and win the Big XII?

Yes, we can rebound. But I do not believe we can realistically win the conference. No

3. How is recruiting looking this season?

Good, we are attacking hard at the offensive & defensive lines. Should be some good committed prospects here in the next few weeks I think.

9. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

[​IMG]
    1. Coach Run, last year was a tough one for the Bucks. Can you give us a retrospective on 2024?
    Last year was a tough year for us as a team. Losing 5 games in a season really didnt set too well with me or the boosters around here. I think we can attribute the losses to several things last season. One is that I didnt coach very well. I really wanted to focus on some things as a coach that could help our team improve as a whole, but I knew it would cost us some along the way. Although we gained from the experiences, we ran into a few more bumps along the way than I expected. Another reason we didnt succeed last year was from our previous successes. Even though we were a team that played for a National Title in 2023, we played well above our heads that year. As a result of that success, our AD set up a crucial schedule against some of the best coaches and teams over the past couple of seasons. I tried to tell him it was a recipe for disaster and that we werent ready, but he insisted it was time. The monetary gains from the big atmosphere games was great for the program, but it hurt us more interenally than he realized it would. As I mentioned, we werent ready to compete in a big way like was expected of us, but we are getting better. This year the schedule is a little more managable. Regardless, we learned some valuable lessons last season. I am a better coach for it and the team as a whole will better as well.
    2. MSU and Michigan look good, but many argue that you are still the best coach in the conference, if not the country. Can the Bucks retake the BIG?
    The Big 10 Title is the #1 goal we shoot for every season. Last season, we got caught in the buzz saw that is Michigan State twice. That team wasnt going to lose. Not to take anything away from them, but our guys did not play to their full potential in either of those games. I think it may have been a mental thing for some of our guys to some extent, but we are a more mentally tough team now because of it. We have been on the winning side of "the game" over the past couple of seasons. Michigan has a great coach as well and we have really had to lay it all on the line to win those games.
    We were fortunate to return all of our underclassmen from last years team and that has helped our team out tremendously from a talent stand point. Getting back players like this year's team captain, FS Chad Perry, has already paid huge dividends. He is a great player, great leader and even a better human being. He along with QB Joe Harris allowed us some continuity at 2 of our main positions. They are helping their sides of the ball play up to their potential. We still have some holes, but hopefully we will be able to put it all together within the next couple of seasons.
    3. How is recruiting shaping up? I hear you guys are looking for a TE?
    We have a fairly young team right now. Only 7 guys will be graduating this season. That in turn leaves us will only a few spots to fill. We are reaching for the stars with those few scholly and seem to be in decent shape with a few of the top tier guys. Yes, one of those guys is the #1 TE in the nation. We are a ways behind in convincing him to come to Columbus, but we have had some success in Louisiana over the past few seasons, so we hope that may help us as he grows closer to a decision. He will be on campus for the SMU game week 6 and we will be looking to impress. Another highly recruited spot for us is the FS spot. Along with Chad Perry's gratuation at the end of the season, we are looking for the next game changer back there. We are coming up short so far there as well, but we are not out of the fight just yet. We are looking to sign a HB in this class that can add to the depth and talent we currently have at the position. We just found out one of our top prospects at that position decided to stay closer to home at Auburn, but we are going hard after a hometown kid right now and we are currently traing the University of Ohio. This past week we signed who we think is the best MLB in the country. We finally have some good depth on the O Line as that position is a spot we have really struggled with over the past few years. Other than that, we are not in bad shape with the other guys we are going after.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 2