The Prodigal Son - Kansas City Chiefs

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The Prodigal Son - Kansas City Chiefs

Coach Winuvas Returns after Tampa resignation

by Adam Chiefsman
    Blogger, Kansas City Star

Coach Winuvas had the talent in Tampa Bay with the Buccaneers. At least that is how he felt. After losing 6 straight games, however, Coach Winuvas left. With no explanation as to why other than absolute frustration as his team's lack of execution. Which he felt he was wholly to blame.

"Adam, you look at that team on paper, and they are better than 3-9. They should be scoring 40 points a game, in my opinion. They weren't. That is the responsibility of the coach. I wasn't doing Tampa Bay justice as their head coach," Coach Winuvas told me in an interview after the resignation.

And Coach Winuvas was content to become a reporter for the OMFL, helping me out with the OMFL.com blog and becoming an analyst for the weekly podcasts that the OMFL produces. However, a calling came to him only a few days after the sudden leaving.

"I saw Kansas City go through 7 or 8 coaches after I left. Every time that a coaching change occured I felt like there was unfinished business. So I talked to the AFC president about taking over the Chiefs to bring some stability to the franchise. I was honestly intent on waiting until the offseason, but apparently the OMFL felt like they needed me in Kansas City."

Coach Winuvas then announced his return to the OMFL with, on paper, one of the worst franchises in the league. Their talent level is below par with most all other teams in the league. Yet they are currently 5-7 before they take on the Seattle Seahawks, and they are a longshot to make the playoffs. They are one game out of the division lead.

So why the comeback? Why not stay out and regain some focus and confidence?

"The Chiefs needed stability. They have no identity right now on offense or defense. So I am coming in to work to give them an identity, and hopefully get this team in the right direction so that other coaches will want to come to Kansas City," Coach Winuvas said.

So Coach Winuvas is back in the league. He's had a fall from grace with his inglorious exit from Tampa Bay. Will he be able to regain his status as a quality coach? Or will he fade into obscurity?

One thing is for sure: either way, the coach Kansas City originally hired is back. For good or ill.

Keep up with all Chiefs coverage on the franchise website:
    www.traditionfootball.com

2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs Win Wild One to Keep Playoff Hope

by Adam Chiefsman

What a difference the second tenure of Coach Winuvas had versus the first.

In his first tenure as coach of the Chiefs, Coach Winuvas won a hard fought, defensive powerhouse game, shutting down a vaunted Ravens team almost two years ago, 17-0. In his second tenure, it was a wild shootout in Kansas City against the Seattle Seahawks, with the final score of 42-35 including tons of big plays by both teams and a blocked extra point.

The game started quick and with rookie sensation Devontae Sanders. The Kansas City halfback ran off tackle on the second play from scrimmage for 60 yards and a touchdown. However, this was the only scoring in the first quarter as the game went to the second quarter at 7-0 Kansas City.

The second quarter also saw big plays, with Seattle driving to score on a Clinton Portis 4 yard run to tie the game up. Then Kansas City drove down the field and scored on a broken play Shaun Hill quarterback draw that was supposed to be a pass.

"Shaun just made a play. Kudos to him," Coach Winuvas said.

After a costly fumble by Seattle tight end John Carlson, the Chiefs drove down the field and scored on another Shaun Hill strike to receiver Dwayne Bowe. The half ended at 21-7 Chiefs.

The second half saw Seattle strike quick much like Kansas City did in the first half. On the first play from scrimmage, Brandon Marshall broke free on a busted coverage and was found by Seattle quarterback Matt Hasselbeck for a 71 yard strike. However, the extra point was blocked by linebacker Derrick Johnson on special teams to make the score 21-13. After a punt gave Seattle the ball back, they wasted no time getting another score on a Clinton Portis 1 yard rumble off the left side. A failed two point conversion left the score at 21-19.

Kansas City would answer with another large play from phenom Devontae Sanders, who rumbled off tackle for a 72 yard touchdown, running over would be tacklers. The final scoring of the third quarter would come from halfback Clinton Portis yet again, as Seattle's running attack proved too much for Kansas City's "revamped" line. Portis rumbled off tackle for a 5 yard score late to make the score 28-26.

In the fourth quarter, Kansas City would answer yet again with another touchdown pass from Shaun Hill to Naufahu Tahi, the seldom used fullback, for a 10 yard touchdown. Matt Hasselbeck directed traffic very quickly, using only 2 plays to find Justin Patterson on a 33 yard touchdown strike. Another failed two point conversion by Seattle saw the game at 35-32. The dagger, however, would come from reserve halfback Jamaal Charles, who subbed in when Devontae Sanders tweaked his wrist late in the third quarter. On a flat hot route, Charles broke two Seattle tackles and ran 73 yards to score the final touchdown of the day for Kansas City.

However, Seattle did have one last gasp drive, which was stuffed late. Seahawks kicker Olindo Mare came out to kick a field goal to make it a 7 point game, but it was too little, too late.

For the Chiefs, offense was in high supply, as quarterback Shaun Hill went 16 of 21 for 278 yards with 3 touchdowns and 1 interception. He completed passes to 6 different receivers, with his favorite being rookie wide receiver Jamarion Bellows, who nabbed 5 balls for 73 yards. For the ground game, it was once again the Devontae Sanders show, as he ran 14 times for 194 yards and 2 touchdowns. On defense, while not showing well on the scoreboard, the Chiefs did stop the Seahawks when it mattered, and new starter defensive end Quentin Groves was a big reason for that. The young man from Auburn recorded 4 tackles and a sack, the only sack of Hasselbeck all day long.

For Seattle, Matt Hasselbeck had a stellar day, going 19 of 31 for 312 yards and 3 touchdowns. His favorite targets were receiver Brandon Marshall (4 receptions, 116 yards, and a touchdown) and tight end John Carlson (5 catches, 81 yards). The running attack punched the Chiefs interior line in the mouth all day long as Clinton Portis ran 17 times for 112 yards and 2 touchdowns, and fullback Owen Schmitt ran 5 times for 25 yards.

"The defense needs work, but they made plays when they counted, if they weren't many," Coach Winuvas commented. "Coach Dunn in Seattle is a helluva offensive mind though. Lots of offensive looks that I didn't anticipate and he was lighting us up. Thank goodness our offense showed up. We'll hopefully have these guys on defense better prepared next week since we have a new scheme in place."

With a possible playoff spot on the line, the Chiefs need every W they can muster. Still needing help from the Chargers and Raiders to get in, and only three weeks left, will the Chiefs and new/old Coach Winuvas get it done?

"I'm honestly not worried about making the playoffs. What I am worried about is being a better coach for these young players and setting up a winning culture in this town. I left before it was done. I'm back to get it done, and I expect all my players to follow suit. If we make the playoffs, great. If not, we get better for next year," Coach Winuvas said.

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs Lose Division Battle

by Adam Chiefsman

The Kansas City Chiefs gained lots of yards against the Oakland Raiders this past Sunday. But field goals don't beat touchdowns as the Chiefs found out in a 35-23 loss this Sunday.

The game started with a crisp offensive drive by Kansas City leading to a Ryan Succop field goal. Oakland then moved the ball very quickly down the field, finishing the drive with a 13 yard pass from Kurt Warner to Todd Heap to take the lead into the second quarter at 7-3.

The next drive by the Chiefs was promising, but a costly fumble in the red zone was picked up by rookie outside linebacker Lee Carter and taken to the house to make the score 14-3. Kansas City moved the ball down the field yet again, but stalled in the red zone and kicked another field goal to take the score to 14-6. Oakland, using a stellar passing game with future Hall of Famer Kurt Warner, drove down the field to score on a Darrius Heyward-Bey touchdown catch. The Chiefs drove down the field yet again, but with 16 seconds left had to kick another field goal to end the half at 21-9.

The third quarter saw the Chiefs defense get gashed more by the Raiders offense, allowing the third touchdown on defense to Warner and Chaz Schillens. The first touchdown from Kansas City came from rookie halfback Devontae Sanders, who busted open a 41 yard touchdown romp to get the game at 28-16.

Oakland started the fourth quarter driving yet again, but a costly interception in the red zone to Chiefs cornerback Brandon Carr led to a touchdown for Kansas City when Shaun Hill completed a pass to rookie tight end Stanley Squirek to get the game to 28-23.

However, the Raiders again moved the ball at will against the weak Chiefs defense, and the final score came from Warner's fourth touchdown of the game, a 36 yard strike to Chaz Schillens to get the final score of 35-23.

Kansas City did have a solid offensive attack all day long, however. Shaun Hill, forced to throw to keep up with the high octane Raiders offense, completed 30 of 41 passes for 302 yards with only one touchdown. He completed passes to 9 different receivers. Devontae Sanders was kept in check most of the game, with 17 carries for 90 yards and a touchdown. Of the 9 receivers who caught passes, tight end Stanley Squirek caught 8 passes for 78 yards with a touchdown, and rookie wide receiver Jamarion Bellows nabbed 7 passes for 78 yards. On defense, reserve linebacker Demorrio Williams logged 4 tackles, while safety Gerald Alexander and Brandon Carr nabbed an interception each from Raiders quarterback Kurt Warner.

Warner completed 14 of 20 passes for 235 yards and 4 touchdowns to go with 2 interceptions to lead the Raiders to the victory. Halfback Beanie Wells ran 10 times for 75 yards, and Antone Smith carried the ball 7 times for 34 yards in a change of pace role. Chaz Schillens was the receiving dynamo for the Raiders, nabbing 6 balls for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns. Tight end Todd Heap also had 4 receptions for 35 yards and a touchdown.

"Defense needs work, as does our goal line offense. Can't beat teams scoring 3 when we allow 7," Coach Winuvas said after the game. "Tip your hat to Coach Joseph and the Raiders. They are for real."

With 2 games left, the Chiefs would need to win out and have the Raiders lose both games to make the playoffs. When asked about it, Coach was rather nonchalant about it.

"Not my concern right now. Getting better as a coach and leader of these young men and getting them better at their craft is my goal. If we make it, great. If not, we retool for next year."

Coach Winuvas seems to have lost a little of his competitive fire, but it's working on the offensive end right now. Will he get the defense going in time to get this team to .500? Guess we'll find out.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs Win While Testing Depth

by Adam Chiefsman

In a game where only pride was on the line, the Kansas City Chiefs were victorious 23-17 over the Denver Broncos at Invesco Field at Mile High this past Sunday. The Chiefs under Coach Winuvas started a few surprises at different spots, finding out what holes they need to fill in next year's offseason.

Starting at quarterback was a guy that Coach Winuvas brought in during his first tenure as coach of the Chiefs in Alex Smith. Rookie phenom Devontae Sanders also sat, as well as rookie wide receiver Jamarion Bellows, and in their place started Jamaal Charles and Mike Sims-Walker. Other backups starting in this game was center Andy Alleman, right tackle Barry Richardson, right end Quentin Groves, defensive tackle Anthony Montgomery, linebacker Danell Ellerbe, and safeties Haruki Nakamura and Gerald Alexander.

"There are some players that may or may not be here next year. I need to know what I have in order to find out what I need to improve on right now," Coach Winuvas explained about his changes. "Nothing to do with our opponent across the field, but I need to know what my guys can do."

The scoring started with a Jamaal Charles 1 yard touchdown rumble after a great pass from Alex Smith to tight end Stanley Squirek to get them within range. The Broncos then mounted a drive of their own behind quarterback Kelly James, ending with a 3 yard pass to fullback Peyton Hillis to tie the game at the end of the first quarter at 7-7.

A massive Kansas City drive then ensued. The Chiefs went 17 plays and took over 6 minutes of clock, but it sadly ended in a Ryan Succop field goal as the drive stalled on the 2 yard line.

"Red zone offense is still lacking," Coach Winuvas said.

Denver then worked their two minute drill to perfection, getting in range for a 40 yard field goal from Matt Prater with :08 seconds left to tie the game going into the half at 10-10.

Kansas City started the second half driving down the field with a precise short passing attack from Alex Smith riddled with somewhat effective runs from Jamaal Charles and backup halfback Danny Ware. Ware finished off the first drive of the second half with a 1 yard rumble behind center Andy Alleman for a score and the 17-10 lead. Then the Chiefs kicked off to Denver returner Ahmad Bradshaw, who ran it back to the house for a 104 yard touchdown return to tie the game back up yet again at 17 all. A solid drive by the Chiefs again ended with a long Ryan Succop field goal of 54 yards late in the third quarter to take a 20-17 lead into the fourth quarter.

In the fourth, the Chiefs did a nice job of controlling the clock, moving into position with a time chewing drive to get another Ryan Succop field goal of 24 yards to make the score 23-17 with almost four minutes left in the game. A solid drive behind Denver tailback Knowshon Moreno and Kelly James fell short when a fourth down pass was picked off by safety Gerald Alexander at the ten yard line.

Most of Coach Winuvas' subs had a solid game. Alex Smith went 15-19 for 260 yards with no touchdowns, but more importantly, no interceptions. In a two pronged attack, Jamaal Charles carried 14 times for 34 yards and Danny Ware carried 12 times for 45 yards. Both backs had a touchdown in the game. Smith's favorite target was Dwayne Bowe, with 6 catches for 75 yards. However, rookie Stanley Squirek at tight end had his first 100 yard receiving game of his career, getting 5 catches for 115 yards. While Mike Sims-Walker did not have a catch, reserve wide receiver Robert Meachem had 2 catches out of the slot receiver role.

For the Chiefs' defensive replacements, they were solid if unspectacular. Linebacker Danell Ellerbe had 3 tackles to lead the replacements, while the star of the game was starting cornerback Brandon Flowers, who had 2 interceptions of Kelly James on the day. Rookie linebacker Chris Anderson had 4 tackles to lead the tacklers on the day.

For the Broncos, Kelly James went 11-21 for 103 yards, with a touchdown to go with 3 interceptions. Knowshon Moreno was solid, running 16 times for 67 yards. Moreno also had 3 catches for 24 yards in the passing game, but fullback Peyton Hillis had the only receiving touchdown to go with 3 receptions.

Kansas City finishes the season at 7-9, while Denver finishes its season at 4-12. With both teams looking now at their offseason, the Chiefs at least have some ideas as far as personnel goes.

"We have some needs at halfback, offensive line, tight end, and defense as a whole. Need more playmakers on defense to get turnovers for us," Coach Winuvas said. "I like what I saw from Alex Smith. Good decisions, crisp passes, didn't make huge mistakes. Even with (Devontae) Sanders, I still want another playmaker at halfback. Wide receiver I am comfortable with our players we have, but if we can upgrade I would do it. Tight end I would like one more solid guy to go with (Stanley) Squirek. Depending on free agency, may see about signing some big guys inside to get a running game rolling."

And defense?

"We have to get tougher on defense overall. There are a few guys I am keeping, but look at that side of the ball getting a big overhaul this offseason. If I have to trade the few bright spots I have to get guys that make this defense better, so be it," Coach Winuvas said.

Coach Winuvas did finish 2-2 with the Chiefs, and his most impressive stat was his offensive output versus his previous coaching stint in Tampa Bay. Can it carry over to season 3 of the OMFL?

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas Announces Defensive Changes

by Adam Chiefsman

Coach Winuvas has always enjoyed the 3-4 defense. However, with recent defensive lapses in the running defense as well as a lack of quality linebackers to play the 3-4 attack, Coach Winuvas has made a focus this offseason to convert the Chiefs to a 4-3 defense.

"We just don't have the horses at linebacker to play a 3-4 right now," Coach Winuvas said. "And I don't think we can get enough in free agency and the draft to retool for that concept, so we're working with teams to get some players in who can run a 4-3 concept."

Guys that are playing defensive end such as Tyson Jackson and Kyle Vanden Bosch are rumored to be possibly making the move to interior defensive lineman - or finding a new home.

"Hopefully KVB (Kyle Vanden Bosch) and TJ (Tyson Jackson) will make a good conversion to make room for some guys we have on the roster to play end. Guys like (defensive end Quentin) Groves and (defensive end Trevor) Scott can hang in there at end in a 4-3 scheme and their speed will be paramount to this scheme's success," Coach Winuvas commented.

Also talked about was rumored folks on the trade block.

"Well, I hate putting people out there 'on the block'," Coach Winuvas said. "But I would consider trading (Kyle) Vanden Bosch or (Tyson) Jackson if the price was right. Truthfully, though, any one of the guys on the roster could be dealt if the price was right and it improved our team. I'm a firm believer in giving talent to get talent, even if it makes us thin at a position. I'd rather be thin at one or two spots than thin at 5 or 6, which is where I feel we are right now."

When asked to elaborate, Coach said, "Well, right now we could use a big time quarterback, an every down back to complement our rookie of the year Devontae Sanders, a second tight end to go with (Stanley) Squirek, some offensive line help to give us some depth, linebackers, cornerbacks, you name it on defense."

Coach Winuvas, according to sources in the organization, has also been burning up the phones of general managers across the league, trying desperately to acquire talent. While nothing can be confirmed until the offseason for all teams begins sometime in the next week or two, there are rumblings that a few deals have been worked out with various clubs to fill some of the holes on the team.

"I wish I could comment on this, Adam, but I can't confirm anything until the offseason begins. But believe me, we have improved on the offensive side of the ball. Chiefs fans I think will be happy with what we've done here to improve their team for the future and the present," Coach Winuvas remarked.

Coach Winuvas, the optimist? Sounds too good to be true.

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Chiefs' Offseason a Success?

by Adam Chiefsman

So, the Kansas City Chiefs went into the offseason with a positive win and a 7-9 record with a team with some talent deficiencies at multiple positions. Coach Winuvas' wish list was large in scope: needs at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, tight end, defensive line, linebackers, and secondary. Not an easy task to improve all those positions in one offseason.

Then Coach Winuvas put his shoulder to the wheel and got on the phones.

In came in the following players:

Josh Freeman: A quarterback Coach Winuvas loved from his Tampa days, Freeman has a large arm and is fairly accurate across all levels of the field. Freeman is a large upgrade over the quarterback formerly in Kansas City in Shaun Hill.

Tommy Kelly: Another guy Coach Winuvas brought into Tampa, Kelly brings a solid defensive run stuffing presence to the newly formed 4-3 defense. He hopefully brings some ability to rush the passer inside, as he did when Coach Winuvas was in Tampa (6 sacks in Tampa while Coach Winuvas was in town).

Jermaine Phillips: A veteran slowed a bit by age, Phillips can still hit and is a solid run defender that Coach Winuvas hopes to put in at strong safety and provide solid run support.

Jordan Kanda: Coach Winuvas' 4th round draft choice from last year, the now second year player from Maryland is projected to be a solid pass rusher in the defensive end rotation for the 4-3 scheme.

Donovan McNabb: Coach Winuvas' first quarterback brought in with a three team deal, he is a solid veteran that knows how to win. However, he was not in Kansas City long, as he immediately got a ticket to Minnesota for another player....

Ray Lewis: ...which was this guy. A step slower, the veteran from Miami is still an elite linebacker in the middle. Behind a 4-3 scheme, Coach Winuvas hopes he can tap into Lewis' sideline-to-sideline abilities for at least one more year.

Jeremy Maclin: An underachiever in Indianapolis (along with McNabb), Coach Mustang called Coach Winuvas and asked about a deal for the two players. Coach Winuvas worked his magic and got the young receiver from Missouri in, giving Freeman two speedy receivers to fly down the field along with Jamarion Bellows.

Jyles Tucker: A steady linebacker that is making his first foray into a 4-3 scheme, Coach Winuvas hopes his strong pass rush skills will prove effective in his high octane blitz schemes.

For all the players acquired, Kansas City did lose a few quality players.

Dwayne Bowe: This one honestly hurt Coach Winuvas the most, as giving away one of the best receivers in the OMFL was hard to do. But to get a future Hall of Famer in quarterback Donovan McNabb (which then led to a trade for another future Hall of Famer in middle linebacker Ray Lewis) and young receiver Jeremy Maclin was too good to pass up.

Derrick Johnson: DJ will be missed in the middle here in Kansas City. He led the team in tackles last year with 67. However, the quality inherited in the trade (which got Freeman, Kelly, Phillips, and Kanda from above) outweighed the value Johnson gave to the team.

Jamaal Charles: The young running back from Texas was on the brink of stardom, but got tradeable with the emergence of Devontae Sanders. His receiving ability out of the backfield as well as his straight line speed will be missed.

Brandon Carr: A cornerback just emerging as a number two corner behind Brandon Flowers, Carr was a key centerpiece in the three team deal which got the Chiefs Jyles Tucker, Donovan McNabb, and Jeremy Maclin.

After trading as much as league rules allow, Coach Winuvas was not done, getting what he felt was the best linebacker in Kamerion Wimbley. He also got a solid veteran slot receiver in Hines Ward for the veteran minimum as well as a cornerback to replace the traded Brandon Carr in Ellis Hobbs.

So after the whirlwind of free agency settles and the draft approaches, Coach Winuvas feels he only has one or two positions left to improve through further free agency and the draft.

"Had a hell of an offseason so far. We still have work to do to get some depth at key spots and a starting halfback and second tight end to go with (Stanley) Squirek. Other than that, I feel we're set up to do very well in our division," Coach Winuvas said.

So far, so good. Draft day approaches and Coach Winuvas is ready to go.

7. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Coach Winuvas welcomes Gonzalez back

[​IMG]

New Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez takes questions at his press conference.

by Adam Chiefsman

Who says that old flames cannot be rekindled, that a team and player that were once at odds over organizational stability can never find a common ground?

Most of the time when a player of the caliber of Tony Gonzalez, a future Hall of Famer when his playing days are done, requests a trade to go to a contending team, the team sending that player never gets a second chance to prove the player wrong.

That changed today when Coach Winuvas proudly announced the re-signing of Chiefs fan favorite Tony Gonzalez.

"It brings me so much joy to announce Tony Gonzalez is once again a Kansas City Chief," Coach Winuvas started. "This guy has been such a class player for a good while, and to have even a chance to get him back to help this organization get to the playoffs is a honor and privilege. He did have other suitors, but in the end he wanted to come home to a team that gave him his start and, in his opinion, is headed in the right direction."

"Tony brings in talent and veteran leadership to the offense, something we were lacking last year," Coach Winuvas said. "He can teach our young receivers and tight ends how to run proper routes and how to be outstanding character guys in the community and outstanding players on the field."

While Gonzalez was the centerpiece of the press conference, Coach Winuvas also announced a few more veteran signings: those of wide receiver Hines Ward, guard Mike McGlynn, and running back Derrick Ward.

"Both Wards (Hines and Derrick) will help us out tremendously. Steelers said he (Hines Ward) had lost a step in speed, but I need someone in this offense who isn't scared to go over the middle, and Hines is NOT. Derrick (Ward) is a solid #1B behind/in front of our rookie stud Tank Lockwood. Derrick can do anything we need him to do: catch the ball, run inside, run outside, whatever. He's game and still has the legs," Coach Winuvas commented during the press conference.

With all the additions on offense, what about the defense?

"We've done a large bit to improve our depth and quality of player in our 4-3 scheme we're changing to," Coach Winuvas said. "We have more than enough defensive linemen with some of our outside backers converting back to their more natural positions on the end of the defensive line. Our secondary is solid through and through I feel, and our linebackers are improved from last year. I feel good about our defense right now."

But will new cornerback Ellis Hobbs and linebacker/defensive end Kamerion Wimbley be enough to get one of the lowest ranked defenses in the OMFL back into top 5 contention?

"If our offense can get rolling, there is no need to worry about our defense. If my offense can get to 20 points first, I feel very confident in my team's chance to win that game," Coach Winuvas bluntly stated.

Can confidence win football games? It can if a team is on a winning streak. But in Kansas City, confidence may just get Coach Winuvas a pink slip.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Tank Runs Wild in Coach's Swan Song

by Adam Chiefsman

Well, no one really knew before the game that this would be Coach Winuvas' last game in the OMFL. He did, however, and he let it all hang out with a powerful running attack behind rookie Tank Johnson and a wildly inconsistent defense that got 4 turnovers but also allowed big play after big play in a 38-35 shootout in Arrowhead this Sunday.

The scoring began with the Jets mustering a drive down the field early and getting a 7-0 lead behind a Mark Sanchez pass to Brad Smith for 10 yards. Then behind a solid offensive line and consistent pounding of the run, Tank Lockwood scored from 3 yards out late in the first quarter to tie the game at 7.

The second quarter saw a bit of scoring after turnovers by both teams. One costly Mark Sanchez interception by Darren Sharper (a superb one-handed grab) gave the Chiefs prime field position, and Lockwood cashed in again from 1 yard out to get a 14-7 lead. Another interception by cornerback Brandon Flowers led to another Lockwood score from 19 yards out.

The Jets then flipped their running attack into gear, running with Shonn Greene, and then second year back Leron James, who was inserted when Greene was knocked out of the game with a sprained ankle. James completed a solid drive with a 2 yard run to get the game within striking distance again at 21-14. Back-to-back interceptions by Sanchez and then Josh Freeman gave the Jets prime field position and time to get a score in just before the half with Mark Sanchez completed a pass to tight end Dondre Smith to tie the game at half at 21-21.

The only scoring of the third quarter was done by Kansas City as reserve halfback Derrick Ward came in to score on the goal line after Tank Lockwood got them to the 3 yard line but had to come out after tweaking his elbow on a carry.

The fourth quarter saw the Jets tie it back up behind the arm of Sanchez, this time completing a strike to fullback Jason McKie to tie the game at 28. A drive behind Lockwood for Kansas City ended with 55 seconds on the clock and a fourth touchdown on the ground for "The Tank". However, 55 seconds was about 12 seconds too many, as Sanchez quickly zipped the team down the field with only one time out left to get another score in with a screen pass to Leron James, who barreled over two potential Kansas City tacklers to score from 34 yards out.

Overtime, however, was less than dramatic. The opening kickoff was returned by Chiefs cornerback Ellis Hobbs to the Jets 30 yard line, and three runs later, kicker Ryan Succop laced a kick through the uprights for the win for Kansas City.

Kansas City quarterback Josh Freeman did not have a stellar game when compared to Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez. However, he was efficient, going 16 of 20 for 242 yards and no touchdowns to go with one interception. Coach Winuvas let "The Tank" out, however, as Tank Johnson ran 25 times for 149 yards and 4 touchdowns in the victory. Tight end Tony Gonzalez, in his first home game back in Kansas City, caught 5 passes for 78 yards to lead all Chiefs receivers. Defensively, starting strong safety Haruki Nakamura led all Chiefs defenders with 5 tackles as well as an interception.

For the Jets, Mark Sanchez did all good and bad he could for his team. The third year quarterback completed 22 of 32 passes for 374 yards and 4 touchdowns, but threw 4 costly interceptions. Running back Shonn Greene ran the ball effectively while he was in, running 7 times for 34 yards. Rookie wide receiver X'Zavious Hewitt was a beast and main target when in for Sanchez, getting 5 catches for 130 yards. Defensively, veteran linebacker Joey Porter got 4 tackles and a sack, while linebacker Bart Scott also had 4 tackles to go with the lone interception of Freeman.

"Jets played well today. Honestly should have won if not for a few mental notes. Teams better not sleep on them. They can get you if you are not careful," Coach Winuvas warned.

Soon after the talk of the game ended though, questions poured in about Coach Winuvas' sudden seeming decision to leave the Chiefs, and the league.

"Look, I have lots of extracurricular interests that are right now taking precedent over me being able to coach this team full time and give this team, and this league, 115%. This league deserves better than me giving a half-(expletive) effort. I know it. They know it. There are plenty of owners clamoring to get in here. Hopefully they will now find Kansas City a home rather than a stepping stone."

"This team in KC has the tools and the players to win," Coach Winuvas said. "I hope whomever takes them over will use them right and win lots of games. I wish for nothing more than to see the headline on the OMFL.com homepage saying, 'Kansas City wins OMFL Bowl'. That will bring a smile to my face. This team, these fans, they DESERVE it."

So the swan song for Coach Winuvas is a wild game that ends with a victory in overtime to take the Chiefs to 2-1 this season. Wherever you go next, coach, enjoy your time there.