The PTR System (Playing By The Ratings)

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by johntom2000, Jun 27, 2013.

1. johntom2000

johntom2000 Walk On

Hey Guys,

I want to introduce something that just will make dynasties offline and online more funnier and different. This system will allow the user to get the BEST depth chart for any team in the game as well when it comes to recruiting time also. As for the types of offense and defenses that will be ran. It don't matter because like in real life. Some players will be better at areas then others, so it don't matter how old or young they are so, play calling will be VERY IMPORTANT!

Let me introduce The PTR System (Playing By The Ratings). This all started night before last while at work in the morning hours. I was looking at my online dynasty team roster on team builder trying to figure out my depth chart for the coming season (Old Dominion). I noticed that some underclassmen was better then the starters in some area's. This is when I took notice of it and quit just looking at the OVR number of the player and pay closer attention to the key ratings for each position. I first took a sheet of paper and done the good o' depth chart by "OVR" and it was like it always been (with a few tweaks to some ratings like speed, acc/agi) played in. Then I looked at key ratings by position and wrote the down for only the CB and WR groups for example to see If I can spot any different in the starting line ups. An oh boy didn't I find something different all right. Players that was at the bottom (freshman) was better % wise then the upperclassmen based on my findings.

Here here it works:

Lets take Old Dominion two TE's for example:

The first TE is a 69 OVR Fr and the other is 63 OVR Jr.

To get the % of the true based ratings you add up the Key Ratings for TE's :

69 OVR TE
    Speed -75
    Agi/Acc -68/78
    Awr -73
    Pass Block/Run Block -79/62
    Catch -70
    Spec. Catch -59
    Catch in Traffic -71
    Route Running -66
    Release - 67
    Jump -67
    ________
    Total - 835

69 OVR TE
    Speed -70
    Agi/Acc -69/77
    Awr -77
    Pass Block/Run Block -75/50
    Catch -73
    Spec. Catch -54
    Catch in Traffic -72
    Route Running -69
    Release - 69
    Jump -72
    ________
    Total -827

Now after you got the total's you take the total as in the example 835 and 827 and you divide by the number of key ratings for that position. For example for the TE they are 12 key ratings.

835/12=69.5 which rounds up to 70%
    827/12=68.9 which rounds up to 69%

Note If you see a rating that has a / in between just put the two numbers in it and add them together as you see in the example.

As you see basically the numbers matched up the game's OVR ratings as who should start but, trust me! You see some total different results with each team as I did with Old Dominion. You will get a total different lineup using this system as the old way of doing the line up by OVR and some ratings. Which again should be a better overall lineup. You will have to just mix up your playing calling to not hint off your weakness on offense and/or defense just like in real life football. Overall you play the best 12! No matter the class they are in!

Ratings for each position to get your numbers and total afterwards:
    (Feel free to add or remove as you feel) As this setup was mine gut feelings of what to look at for each position.)

Offense

QB: Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, TP/TA - Total 6

HB: Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, Stamina, Break Tackle, Trucking, Elusiveness, Ball Caller Vision, Stiff Arm, Spin, Juke, and Carry - Total 13

FB: Pass Block, Run Block, Awr, Speed, Catch - Total 5

WR: Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, Catch, SC, CIT, Route Running, Release, Jump - Total 10

TE: Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, Pass Block/Run Block, Catch, SC, CIT, Route Running, Release, and Jump - Total 13

Oline: Speed, Agi/Acc, Strength, Awr, Stamina, Pass Block/Run Block - Total 8

Defense

Dline: Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, Strength, Tackle, Power Move, Finess Move, Block Shed - Total 10

LB: Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, Pursuit, Tackle, Hit Power, Play Rec, Man/Zone Coverage - Total 10

CB, Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, Tackle, Man/Zone Coverage - Total 7
    SS/FS: Speed, Agi/Acc, Awr, Tackle, Hit Power, Pursuit, Play Rec, Man/Zone Coverage - Total 10

Well there it is. I know it crazy and long looking but, I really do believe deep in my heart that this can provide the best depth charts and recruits based on the REAL ratings of the position and take all the wasteful ratings that the game provide. This can always works for Madden and the draft classes. It just takes a little time to input the numbers. If anyone would care. Please feel free to make spreadsheet so, the data input can be easier. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks

John

2. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

John, first of all, welcome to TSO.

What you're suggesting with this system is something that I believe more than a few of us on the site practice occasionally. Tinkering some of the 'formulas' you use here, would for instance, allow you to be able to field a team more fit for a Zone Blitzing scheme. If I run a spread offense, I usually will take a Tight End that has better route running and hands over someone who might have a better 'Overall,' but is a blocking style guy. Shaun Mason, one of the guys that run things here at TSO, and his constituents will tell you the same thing. Overall really doesn't mean a thing. Thanks to them, a lot of us look at things the way you presented.

All that said, I'm going to give you some constructive advice, please don't take it the wrong way. New members get it rough here sometimes, but we are a more welcoming crowd than other communities available to the public. There are a few things in your presentation that just looks like you didn't re-read it. Which is a mistake, not a downfall. Things like fielding the best '12' on the field, or the TE comparison both having the same OVR next to the Tight Ends makes it hard to realize which one is which, though most will figure it out. This message board also allows for Bold, Italics, and other formatting tools that can help people follow along with your thoughts. Just re-read it before you throw it up there, is my only advice.

Thank you for contributing, and I hope that you continue developing this system to use as an advantage to you. I'd even suggest simming whole seasons, with the same type of offense, but mixing in 'better' OVR players that don't fit the system vs. 'worse' OVR players that do fit the system, and see how it turns up in the simulation engine.

• Like Like x 7
  3. johntom2000

johntom2000 Walk On

Thanks, I will for sure! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Awareness effects nothing except simming last time I checked so that is an irrelevant rating if you are playing every game.

5. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

There is also an impact blocking rating that isn't mentioned. That's like the most important rating for a pro style fullback.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sanoj18

Sanoj18 Walk On

I agree. Overall rating isn't the best way to set your depth chart. As MartyWebb mentioned everyone is different with the type of offense and defense they like to run and would tweak these position relevant ratings. For example with the QB, unless you like a pocket passer and never scramble I would add carry as a key rating. QB's with a bad carry rating will fumble often on big hits or sometimes even normal tackles if you don't slide. I never sim games so I would remove stats such as awareness and HB ball carrier vision.

With your formula I don't know if you even need to divide by the total ratings to get a percentage. I would just use your total rating number since each position has the same number of key ratings.

7. Stanimal032

Stanimal032 EMAW

I got to "more funnier" and this happened:

[​IMG]

But seriously, welcome to the boards and it's not a bad idea, just way too much work for me.

I was told there would be no math.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stanimal032

Stanimal032 EMAW

Huh...I wasn't aware of that...

Stanimal032

Awareness - 7

9. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Awareness effects other positions like O-line and whether or not they see blitzers, make the right reads etc. Also, WRs, TEs, and HBs use awareness for option routes, low awareness could mean that they run the wrong route for the coverage.

For your QB, AWR effects how much they are effected by homefield advantage effects on the road (controller shaking, seeing preplay routes, etc). Also, though I cant prove it, I think that a high AWR QB is more accurate when he is getting clobbered while throwing while a low AWR QB will make errant throws under pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Must be different for NCAA then. AWR means none of that in Madden.

11. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I certainly prefer higher awareness guys on defense (though I think that is obvious, just saying you cant totally discount the awareness rating because you are controlling the team). Wyrmreaver also pointed out how it affects the offensive side very well.

12. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:

Thought I was the only one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Awareness definitely effects OL in each game, as well as option routes.

14. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

This is also what I understood, based upon postings from some members here who are in a position to know. I would love to know what the real impact of awareness is, if any, in a live game.

15. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I would love for EA to come out and list specifically what each attribute impacts by position. Reading all of this and people saying x impacts y, then someone saying no it doesn't, then a third saying x really impacts z. I think I've got a good idea of how most of them impact gameplay, but it would be nice for the folks who have designed the game to tell us what it actually does/means. Then again, perhaps I'm the only slow learner here...

16. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Its a solid idea, I would like to hear how running it through a few simmed seasons would work out with lower overall players, with better key attributes, then the higher overall guys.

I essentially do the same thing with my team but with out so much math

17. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Does the sim engine relate to actually playing the game. Just thinking that could yield different results from applying it in user dynasties.

Also, I'd recommend a weighted scale. Some schemes and positions certain ratings contribute more than others. If I'm a pro-style offense then I wouldn't necessarily care about QB SPD, AGI and ACC. Also, a spread team may focus more on "skill" ratings for TE's than blocking. Also, an option team may want more STR, RBK and IBL from its OL, TE, RBs and WRs.

I think you're on a good path and it is certainly interesting and more applicable than the default OVR. I think adding in some additional factors could really make it stand out.

18. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I agree, I think that style of offense weights it completely different. In a triple option, a QB Running Awareness might be more important to me than his Throw Power, for instance. All based on the sim engine aspect of it.

19. gnittio

gnittio Walk On

Just to add my 2 cents, I think most people that have been playing a while implement some variation of this system. The variation may not be as in depth or mathematically sound but a variation none the less. I've personally have been doing something like this offline for years with out all the math. Just observing other attributes. For example looking at two O linemen both rated 78 but one has 82 run blocking and the other 76. It's obvious which to start if your a running offense. Again just my 2 cents.