The QB Discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BlyGilmore, Aug 15, 2012.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Since it came up and we have some time, I figured we could discuss the use of QBs in this league.

Originally I wasn't going to allow QBs to be a part of the league, but that was when I was planning on having folks create their rookies. After some thinking I later strayed from this idea (it would add too much talent to a few positions and kind of throw things off kilter; plus all sorts of rules would need to be created about ratings, size, strength, traits, etc. etc.)

When I changed the premise over to the class of 2012, I thought about it and decided to add QBs back into the mix. The thinking was the following ...

1 - Everybody is basically free to choose their own degree if difficulty and honestly when we look at how people are doing, it'll be with a grain of salt. IMO somebody making the All-Pro game at SS is a lot more impressive than somebody at QB.

2 - There's only a handful of viable QBs to begin with and that number is going to decrease when other players are taken and you consider who they're backing up.

3 - After Luck and Griffin III their ratings drop off the table. You go from Luck (84 overall) to Griffin III (83 overall) to Weeden and Tannehill (74). The next guy is Cousins who's a Redskin (so only him or Griffin will be picked).

4 - All of those guys are on horrible teams.

2. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

I will still say no QB's. Now if there are QB's and one is available at my pick then umm YEA!

3. BlyGilmore

Btw I forgot to add one of the reasons I'm intrigued by how this league works out is the grey area when it comes to success. I don't see it being linear but instead on a multi-faceted curve.

Factor one is the position. Somebody taking a CB has got some major cajones. Where as taking a DL is less impressive. Factor two is the caliber of the player starting out. Taking Tannehill is a much different endeavor than taking Luck. As is taking Richardson over David Wilson. Factor three is the talent around you. Taking a Patriot on Defense would be a very tough task.

QBs Available ...

- Luck (84)
    - Griffin III (83)
    - Weeden (74 - likely scratched due to Richardson)
    - Tannehill (74 - part of a three way battle for his job)
    - Osweiler (69 - a Bronco so he'll be on the bench for at least a few seasons behind Manning)
    - Wilson (70 - behind the 79 overall, young Flynn)
    - Foles (65 - and an Eagle)
    - Cousins (72 - but its him or Griffin III)
    - Lindley (65)
    - Coleman (61 - and behind Rodgers)

So IMO really only three viable candidates - Luck, Griffin III and Tannehill (maybe Wilson).

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. BlyGilmore

not looking for a vote honesty. Looking for a discussion, which includes "why" or "why not" as part of the answer ;-)

5. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

Well from what I've seen so far in preseason Wilson is a definite and Tannehill is a maybe(IMO). I say no quarterbacks because of the audible. You can make every play on O a pass. Which gets you more xp. That in my eyes is an unfair advantage. Now if you only had a certain number of times you could call an audible per game(like in NCAA RTG) then that's different and OK to the QB. If I was to be a QB(Luck only) then I would stick with what coach called unless I saw something and not just audible to get more xp. I think everyone should play that way and we would have no issue BUT these are humans in a competion after all. The higher your legacy the better you are. Games don't matter. Rings and Canton matter. Do what you have to to win. Better?

6. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

On a side note: Here's a thought for a skin. Don't pick RG3. Grab Cousins. Level him up(work with me here on the phrasing) to ensure the team(as a whole) has a decent backup. Then later on use your "Mulligan" to control RG3 because as a Skin no-one can pick RG3(thank you M13). This will let you get to know your team and set your team up for the long run with 2 solid QBs. Plus you know that RG3 will go up in ratings(when ever they advance) so no worrys on losing him because the Skins won't trade him.. Plus it will be like switching from Tebow to Manning in the since of ability. Just a thought.

7. BlyGilmore

The Mulligan doesn't work like that. You take Cousins and at the end of the year you take your mulligan. After the draft you take over one of those new rookies the computer generates.

8. mooseboyj

mooseboyj Walk On

It would be a good challenge tho. Against the grain!

9. BlyGilmore

watching the video Emm posted I think i came up with a solution. If folks taking QBs do prove to be easier and much more successful than the rest of us, we can use sliders to bring them back down to earth.

Also the point about calling plays and audibles is moot ... all players will be able to do this.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I think we should allow QBs. Why not? It's not like you can really compare a RB's success against a QBs or WR's or whatever. It will add mini competitions. Best QB, Best WR, Best RB, best secondary player, linebacker, D-lineman, whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jordan Kleinedler

Jordan Kleinedler Walk On

Great point. I feel its more challenging if you are not a QB. But I have no problem with their being quarterbacks, as you said their may only be 2 or 3 people with Luck, RG3, etc.

12. CalebMackie

CalebMackie Easy like Sunday morning

I think you gotta allow for some QBs otherwise its takes away from the fun