The Race for #1

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by coachgaddy, Dec 22, 2009.

1. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

The Race for #1

[​IMG]

Scouts are saying Stanford QB Jack English will head this years draft. His record setting career at Stanford which includes an Heisman trophy all but confirms that this guy will be the best QB in the draft. He has a cannon arm with spot on accuracy and can get the ball in there successfully on all levels (short/medium/long). Below are the list of teams who in line to get the #1 pick but will they use it on this stud QB. Who knows?

#1 - Bucs
    #2 - Cards
    #3 - Chiefs
    #4 - Jets
    #5 - Lions
    #6 - Browns
    #7 - Rams
    #8 - Ravens
    #9 - Redskins
    #10 - 49ers

2. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

I doubt this guy will be generated when we actually advance to the draft. But I did notice him and some other guys.

One thing I noticed is that SPEED is not going to be a problem. Multiple LBs with 90+ speed. Gonna make things interesting.

3. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

One thing about the draft on Online Franchise is its the same. They pre-created the draft so it not totally randomized yet.

4. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ya, even big tim tebow is in our online test franny. i agree, speed is gonna be majorly upgraded with several 99 sp hbs

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

WOOHOO!!!!! I'm in the running for something!!!!! Wait.....#1 pick...that means I'm the best of the worst....I shouldn't be that excited.

6. natedawg212000

shot, i'd trade brees for the #1 pick straight up!

7. natedawg212000

i love madden generated players, especially qb's. if someone gets the #1 and wants to trade it for brees hit me up!!!

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Wait....so if I get the #1 pick, I could trade it for Brees...and possibly other stuff.....Man, now I have a reason to lose my last few games. :)

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah I think this is a race I may have to lose. Hopefully somebody is willing to trade up. Or a draft and trade deal.

10. natedawg212000

draft and trade deals are the only ones allowed.

11. dritsch

dritsch Walk On

Still no trading of picks?

12. natedawg212000

it is not possible. i am all for allowing it the second someone shows me how to make it possible.

13. dritsch

dritsch Walk On

What most of the big leagues have done is use AIM, or another chat, to do the draft. A list of the first 4-5 rounds are made with which teams are picking where (rounds 6-7 are basically worthless). The chat then has 2-3 rooms, one for general talking, one for trading, and one for the actual draft.

In the draft room, admins put teams on the clock and the corresponding team makes the pick. This setup also allows for in-draft trading (ex: a team wants to move up or down). Each pick is obviously recorded, and at the conclusion, an admin sims the draft online. Admins go through, releasing the 4-5 rookies that were put put on each team, then players or admins sign them to their rightful teams.

May sound little complicated, but having gone through it, I can tell you it's a very solid process, not to mention fun. And as long as each pick is recorded, everyone will be sure to get their guys at the end. Players, and not just admins, can go through and release rookies on their teams they didnt draft, but obviously admins would have to for the inactive owners. Same goes for signing the rightful rooks to each team.

Oh and forgot to add, if someone cant make the draft, goes afk, etc, admins just pick a position of need, or the top guy on the board, on to that team.

14. natedawg212000

well thats kinda what we will do we will allow ppl to trade during the draft, but they have to work it out amongst themselves.

15. dritsch

dritsch Walk On

Are we using the actual Madden draft on ps3? If so I hear there are a lot of problems with disconnecting, only having 60 seconds, etc.

16. natedawg212000

and what are your suggestions then, you seem to know more than i do so help us out.

17. natedawg212000

i am guessing your talking about doing a manual draft. which a..sounds like way too much work and b..i still dont know how to make that actually happen. so i am very interested to hear how your other leagues handled it and what you suggest we do.

the plan now is to do a regular draft on the game or website, whichever they prefer. we dont a test run (but not with a full league) and it worked fine.

please help us out and let us know

18. dritsch

dritsch Walk On

Manual draft is what we did, using AIM chat rooms, wasnt difficult at all. Hardest part was getting the best time for everyone to be on. We did it this way mostly because throughout the year we traded picks, and we wanted to trade during the draft as well, which is almost impossible with only 60 seconds between picks online. At first it seemed like it would be a lot of work, but it ended up running extremely smooth and was hardly any work at all, and much more fun.

Of course we would need the majority of the league on at the same time, with AIM. It seems like those two things would be hard to achieve here, so maybe the online draft is the best way to go.

19. natedawg212000

see ive ran pc madden leagues for years and only know how to do it the way we done it. i've NEVER seen more than 12-15 owners at a draft. tops out maybe, maybe 17-19. never see a 'majority' because a lot of guys dont care and no matter what time you pick it will never be good for everyone.

20. natedawg212000

please explain how to do a manual draft? i mean after you write down all the picks and what not, how do you show a updated board as the picks are done, and then after the draft is done how do you actually do the picks? a commish can't pick for every team. i dont get how to actually get the guys on the right teams.

21. dritsch

dritsch Walk On

Yea I guess we were lucky then, we had almost all 32 guys at the draft.

A person in the league provided us with a link of the draft class, which we printed out and as the draft went on, we crossed out names on the sheet so we knew who was still available. Some people also used the Big Board in Madden, and just numbered people to signify they had been drafted. Of course those people had access to the PS3 and a computer at the same time. I just went off the printed out draft sheet, was easy.

Admins and other players record all picks. Once the draft is over, the admin sims the draft online. Then each team, or the admins, go through the teams and release all the rookies (since siming the draft obviously will just place rookies randomly). Then owners of course know the 4-5 guys they drafted, so they go into free agency and pick them up. Done. So its:

1. Do the draft (in a chat)
    2. Record picks
    3. Sim draft online
    4. Admins\players release rookies
    5. Admins\players sign their correct rookies from free agency

22. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, we do have a chat service that everyone could download that could do both voice and type chat with Mumble. This would be a great time to use it would be for the draft if we wanted to try doing something like what dritsch is proposing.

Honestly I would want to see it in action, but the little bit I saw with the big board seems like it would be nice to set up who you want drafted and have CPU do it for you. I also say that it would be so much fun if we could get a majority of owners on for a live chat draft on Mumble. The server is there and usable, and if it's done on a weekday, I could monitor the server myself. if not I would just have to make sure the server is up the day we decide to do the draft.

23. dritsch

dritsch Walk On

The main reason we did it this way was because we traded picks throughout the year and we were able to get nearly all 32 teams at the draft. If we arent doing that here then the online draft is best. If only half the league will show, at least it will allow the other half to let their big board draft for them. But then this format also basically eliminates draft trading.

24. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Dritsch's idea could work and would be the most FUN. Just like fantasy drafting online. Problem is the lack of owners that will show up. If I were to guess, we could get maybe 20 owners in it at the most.
    Now what happens Dritsch with an owner who doesnt show up. How is his team awarded drafted players. Seems to me he would get 7 Mr. irrelevants added to his team as his draft picks unless commish just awards him best available player when his pick comes around.

25. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

That is where the online franny big board would come in handy. Could go off that board as rated by owner before draft and draft guy that is highest on his list.