The real champ

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Juggernautblitz, May 18, 2009.

1. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

The real champ

Here is an idea that may or may not get people re-energized about the end of this season.
    How about an And 1 situation at the end of this season? AG has expressed some dissatisfaction or boredom, for lack of better words, with being at the top of the polls every year and this season especially it looks like we could have 3 really good undefeated teams at the end of the season. If Mazz wins the Big 12 champ. game and he and Cole win their bowl games, how bout they play a playoff game to face AG (assuming he beats Florida) to settle who the real champ is this year?

2. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Will they all end up undefeated?

3. Juggernautblitz

If Mazz beats OU in the Big 12 championship then there will be 4 undefeated teams - OSU, Florida, Mizzou and Cal - entering the bowl games. OSU will play (and most likely beat) Florida for the BCS title to remain at #1 and I don't believe Cal and Mizzou will play each other in a bowl game so if they beat their respective CPU opponents we will end up with 3 undefeated user teams finishing the year at #1, #2, and #3.
    I don't know about anyone else but I would like to see who the best really is between these teams/users this year.

4. Razcalking1978

Don't see any harm in it, especially since it's year 1 and we can use default rosters. So if Cal and Mizzou both win their bowls, they play-off to see who will face the winner of OSU/Florida.

5. Juggernautblitz

That would be pretty cool in my opinion but would be up to AG if he wants to put the presumed title on the line.

6. Razcalking1978

It's too bad this sort of thing wouldn't work in later years due to roster changes. Older versions of NCAA had a playoff option, but the real NCAA banned it once people started slagging the BCS.

7. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Here is an idea, If I (Florida) win my next two games, I will be undefeted in the East - Would love to throw my hat in the ring for a 4 team OFFL playoff of all the undefeted teams, I think this would be awesome.

8. Razcalking1978

I think Archie always had a West-winner vs. East-winner championship in mind.

9. Juggernautblitz

Damn, now that is a real good idea. OSU, UF, Mizzou and Cal in a 4 man tourney.
    I think the East vs. West showdowns are intended to start with the 2010 version but once again, how do you do it past the first season as you will always have to revert to the default rosters.
    I had brought that up a couple months ago, about NCAA having a playoff option back in the day but was quickly shot down. I knew I wasn't making that up!

10. MazzMan56

MazzMan56 Walk On

I would be up for this. I am still holding out hope that somehow I will pass Cal with my big 12 win and most important Bama beats UF in the SEC CC game. That way I should end up ranked #2 and play tOSU in the NC game. But either way, a 4 man tourney sounds fun.

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

We arent using default rosters.

12. Juggernautblitz

The caveat obviously being that you have to finish the season undefeated. So if you would end up playing OSU in the BCS title game or against Cole in a bowl game, one of you would not end undefeated and thus no tourney.

13. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I don't think I have any chance of making the title game unless... Florida and Missouri lose. But like I said no chance.

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm cool with this idea - all but the "presumed title" remark, that is. I mean, how many games does a guy have to win before his success is no longer a matter of debate? :D

Anyway, UF has to beat Alabama, or we will certainly have a user vs. user title game. If UF wins, and I beat UF in the title game, I will declare myself West champ.

However, I will then put that title on the line in any way you guys want. Given the fact that our rosters will drastically change if we play online, since our rosters are heavily adjusted, I can't say anything definitive will come from a tournament. I'm a 99 in default rosters, so even if I won ten times, guys are still going to do the "he doesn't deserve it" thing, just as they always have.

An East/West game is cool, but it should be treated like an exhibition game. The different rosters do not allow us to say anything once and for all. The "OFFL Bowl" or whatever we decide to call it, should be a kind of pride game, but less than decisive when it comes to determining a champ of all champs.

That's how I see it,

AG

15. Juggernautblitz

Didn't mean it as an overall statement, was talking about presumed as in 1 game remaining vs. the CPU. It is presumed you have the title wrapped up for this year.

16. Juggernautblitz

OSU is your favorite team so it isn't your fault you start in the drivers seat nearly every season with a relatively easy Big 10 schedule. I don't think you would disagree either that winning the title this year having won only 2 user games (1 versus someone that had never seen a 4-2-5 defense and 1 versus my injury riddled low 70's overall UM squad) is not as impressive an accomplishment as Mazz winning 4 (I think) user games or Cole winning a couple versus higher rated user teams.
    There was no offense intended, just thought it would be a nice way to give those guys a shot at a title they really had no chance of winning from the get-go. I forgot about the much different default ratings so maybe not a very good idea. I guess it is what it is, with BCS title controversy continuing.

17. Razcalking1978

Well, I don't know how this would fly, but what about using proxy teams all within a certain OV range?

18. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

How about someone in the big 10 beats Archie next year.:p

19. Razcalking1978

Heh, very true. Considering it's probably our league's favourite conference.

20. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I guess it's kind of a sim thing that this debate happens. I mean, every time the Buckeyes make a big game, people start chirping about who does and does not belong. In that sense, it's just like the real thing.

But it still gets a little tough to go through every single year, especially when I have played in multiple leagues, in multiple situations - some in which I was favored, and some in which I was not - and have, to this point, only taken two losses, one to Lawdog in the Over 30 Club, and one to Dat in the BCS title game in year two of the OFFL 1. I've played in PK's league, the OFFSL, and three-plus years in the OFFL. I've played tons of user games. I've played in three title games (though rightfully, one of those should have had Dat in my place - it's a long story), won two of those title games, and ...

... ok, that's enough of that. All I'm saying is that it isn't all luck of the draw. It's not all the product of a soft schedule. And I seem to be the only guy who has to defend his bowl placement in each and every year. I'm not exactly a Vanderbilt fan, but if that's the team I have to coach to convince people I can earn a championship, then so be it.

Just kidding on that last part. But I'm seriously considering benching all my starters in user games. There must be some way to "earn" a title shot around here.

Maybe I'll play drunk. Wait ... I do that already.:beernana:

At this point, I just think debating about who ends up where in any particular season doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We've all been tested. Whoever ends up playing for it all deserves to be there.

Sorry if this sounds a little less than gracious. It's just that this debate has been a constant plague on my time here in the OFFL, yet I never heard a word about it anywhere else I played.

21. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I wasn't saying you don't deserve to be there. Me and Mazz did what we could but that's the BCS. We just have to win our bowl game and try again next year. No need for what if's, just too bad Florida had to keep Missouri out.

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Florida hasn't kept anyone out just yet. And I know you weren't claiming I don't belong. No one is, I don't think. My only point is that the debate happens every year, and to my knowledge, I am the only one who is ever questioned. The year one runner-up in the OFFL 1 only played two user games, both against the same guy, both with a seven point ratings advantage, and no one said a word. Yet every year I answer questions about my path to the championship game, even when I schedule the USCs and Oklahomas of the world.

I'm just saying that reading a thread titled "the real champ," and knowing before you ever click on the thread that your team is going to be at the center of the conversation ... it just gets old.

I did not mean to imply that anyone is out of line.

I'm just saying that this stuff is becoming bulletin board material. If all goes well, maybe UF will lose, and I will get an opportunity to get this particular monkey off my back. :monkeybutt:

23. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I don't know how that can get old. You ran the gambit in your conference schedule, and for your out of conference game you brought in a 99 ovr Oklahoma. I think you say it gets old here, but you're really at home smiling and patting yourself on the back.

24. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

:eek: Me? I'd never do such a thing. ;)

25. Juggernautblitz

Bulletin board material it is then. UM will be that Big 10 squad to end the scarlet reign.

AG, if you think you "deserve" the title this year over Mazz and Cole, all things considered, then more power to you. I don't think anyone is saying you don't belong in the title game this year but just like in real college football these past 5 or so year, OSU has a built in advantage where they start out very highly ranked and have an easier schedule than most of the other top teams so they sort of end up undefeated and in the title game by default sometimes.

It is what it is and I'm surprised you take offense to the heat you get for it. OSU is your team, surely you admit they have some built in advantages, and although you are one of the best at this game, those advantages have helped you ("helped you", not "given you") win 2 or 3 titles in 4 or 5 seasons. My idea was not to call out your entire resume but to see if we could find out the "real champ" this year with what looks like 3 very good undefeated teams ending the year that can all lay claim to #1.

By the way, I believe it was me that ended up as runner up in year 1 and I am the very first person to admit that starting out as #1 Georgia and ending up in the title game was pretty cheesy. I hadn't played the game in close to 3 years when we started that season so my game has grown quite a bit and because of that I would not want to start out again with a team that good and highly rated.