The Reason The Polians were fired

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by CoachRedd, Jan 2, 2012.

1. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
  3. CoachRedd

They look a lot like the 2019 Colts

• Like Like x 1
  4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Right.

And the track record before 2003?
    98 - Peyton Manning
    99 - Edge James
    01 - Reggie Wayne
    02 - Dwight Freeney

Funny how fast people forget the good things you do.

Not to mention the jury is still out on Castonzo and Jerry Hughes. Donald Brown is an okay player, as is Addai. Gonzalez has been riddled with injury but is a decent player in that offense. Also look where those guys were picked - its not like you should expect to get Peyton Manning with every pick.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I agree. They can run the Browns starting today As far as I am concerned.

6. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Rumors are that they were fired because they disagreed with the owner on what to do with the #1 pick this year.

7. Keller

That has to be related at least somehow. No one looks good after this type of season but with how that organization has been for the past decade and half, I would think they have some leeway.

8. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Bill Polian is an overrated pompus ass. Fuck him and his son.

The media blew smoke up his ass so many years.

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I think that had a lot to do with it.

Looking at that draft it wasn't that bad. In fact, it seemed that he "hit" a lot to me.

• Peyton Manning. Obvious
    • Edgerrin James. 'The Edge' was a great compliment to Peyton many a seasons.
    • Reggie Wayne. If it wasn't for sitting behind Marvin Harrison all them seasons he probably would have some very nice career stats.
    • Dwight Freeney. Terror on the outside, nice end when he's healthy
    • Dallas Clark. HOF'er.
    And Anthony Gonzalez could of been a nice slot if it wasn't for injuries. Marlin Jackson could have been good if Bob Sanders stayed healthy. Ehh, as an Eagles' fan I'd love it if our GM hit on 5, with a possible two more guys, in the first round in the last 10 years. We were just as good as the Colts were during most of these years and for them to get guys like this at the positions they picked -- I'd take it in a heartbeat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CoachRedd

You all are silly. He wasn't fired because of his complete draft history. They were fired because those great players are now aging and the polians have sucked the past 6 years in the draft. With manning...would they ha ve even won the south division this year? Probably not. That roster is devoid of any young talent. Anyone who wants polian as a GM after his past six drafts have watched too much ESPN.

11. Keller

Compare those past 6 years with other teams - they aren't really that bad. Take a look at Buffalo for example:

03 - Willis McGahee
    04 - Lee Evans & JP Losman
    05 - None
    06 - Donte Whitner
    07 - John McCargo
    08 - Leodis McKelvin
    09 - Aaron Maybin
    10 - CJ Spiller
    11 - Marcel Dareus

Now take a look at the Bills roster and see which of those players are still even on the roster. I'll help you, McKelvin then Spiller and Dareus of course. You're just completing overlooking a lot of different points and saying the past 6 years drafts have sucked.

12. CoachRedd

uhhh...Ok. So the Colts and Bills have had simliar shitty drafts in the past 6 years. Cool. The Colts will have company in the NFL basement for the next 6 years.

13. CoachRedd

You completely missed the point. James is no longer with the team. Wayne has played his last game as a Colt. We all know Peyton's story. Clark looked extremely average without Peyton throwing to him. Yikes... those hits are old now and the draft picks that REALLY matter now and should build the core of the Colts roster is filled with average to below average players.

Yeah those were great picks and they produced alot of wins for the Colts. Good for them. Polian wasnt fired because he took those guys. Obviously, those guys were great players for a while and even though they are all on teh steady decline of their careers - they still offer some juice for teh Colts. But lets stop dwelling on that and evaluate the last six years of teh draft and the Colts current roster. It is THOSE picks which will determine the future( lets just say next 5-10 years) for the Colts...not retired Edgerrin James, or Reggie Wayne who has played his last game in a Colts uniform, or 30+ aging Manning and Freeney. So that roster is starting to lookU-G-L-Y.

14. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I got where you coming from but you have to respect an individual's overall body of work. I'm not one of those "what have you done for me lately" people. I personally don't know who this dude is and honestly really don't care but if you just dropped this resume in front of me if I was a team owner, I'd be impressed. He's proven he knows what talent looks like but has slipped recently but slipped on some solid guys. He's drafted 10 Pro Bowlers and out of those at least two Hall of Famers and thats just with the Colts.

Gotta figure he was just catering to whatever Peyton needed at the time. He was always "a piece or two" from winning it all. Looking at his draft choices and looking at where they picked most of those years, it was clear he was catering to Peyton.

Gotta give the guy who built those early 90s Bills teams, made a run with the Carolina Panthers, and built one of the better teams over the last 10 years a chance to build again. He's not that Epstein guy from the Dead Sox -- he's proven.

And if this was just referring to after 2003 he's "missed" on some pretty good guys:

Cato June - Injuries (Pro Bowler)
    Bob Sanders - Injuries (Pro Bowler)
    Joseph Addai - Injuries (Pro Bowler)
    Antoine Bethea - Contributor. Starting Safety (Pro Bowler)
    Mike Hart - One of the most decorated high school/Michigan University backs ever. He failed.

Not sure of your point but after I researched this guy a bit he actually isn't a bad person. The Colts will be bad but it won't be because this guy drafts bad, its because they searched for those "pieces" Peyton needed instead of looking towards the future -- in my opinion.

15. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Here is my take, he got fired because there was never any contingency plan for when Peyton Manning got injured. They allowed players to be the back up that were not competent backup NFL quarterbacks. I have listen to experts discuss the recent Colts' draft history and it hasn't been good and there is no sugarcoating it, but in this day and age if you have a solid quarterback he can cover up a lot of those deficiencies, see Tom Brady and the New England Patriots. To take it one step further, the hiring of Jim Caldwell was a mistake. My opinion that guy is a figure head, almost anyone of us could have coached that team the past three seasons, and would have done basically the same job. In addition I would have to agree there may be disputes as to what to do with the #1 pick. Personally, I draft Andrew Luck and keep Manning for one more season to see whether or not he can actually play to his expected high level, if not you can try and trade him, or just give him his release.

16. CoachRedd

I guess I dont understand whats so hard to understand about The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league and Bill Polian/his son have had 6 horrible drafts in a row. Thats why he got fired. Not because he picked Peyton Manning...we all know he was gifted Manning at #1. He lost because he has let the overall talent on this team slip due to horrible drafting. He had to go. It doesnt matter that you like Edgerrin James lol What matters is that The Colts are seriously lacking in young talent and have absolutely no ELITE young talent. All their talent is aging. Its going to be an ugly next 5-10 years for my hometown Colts.

17. Bondzai

Have you talked to Irsay? Is that why you are so sure?

18. CoachRedd

Yes. I have his number on the bat phone. I'm trying to justgify the decision though...I'm not saying ikts the REAL reason irsay fired him I'm just trying to say its justified by his bad decisions. I do like the ooint u bring up about maybe not wanting to draft luck though. Thatcouldve been a huge factor in the real decision by irsay.

19. Bondzai

:thumbsup:

20. CoachRedd

IMO thats why he deserved to get fired. But just because I have an opinion of something doesnt mean I know for sure thats exactly why Irsay fired him.

21. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I like ponies

22. Bondzai

I'm just busting your balls man.

23. CoachRedd

I was one post away from the whole "stop proving me wrong and making me look bad asshole" haha.

24. Bondzai

I'm not even saying you are wrong...just pointing out how you were contradicting yourself. :)

25. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

This seems to be the only thing I understand in this thread...

Edit: And I came back equipped with my own pony

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1