The Rise MVP

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Masler, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Masler

Masler Moderator

Alright we will be trying this again since it failed the first time. Now that we have some stats for people. Only Juniors and Seniors will be considered for this award.

Candidates

Michigan State

Senior HB Larry Caper - 513 Att, 2732 yards, 5.3 yds/carry, 30 TD, 97.5 yds/game - Larry has been killing for the Spartans ever since coach Masler took over and this season looks to be his best yet. He had a good game vs Arizona and faces a tough defense against Ohio State.

Arizona

Senior WR Travis Cobb - 125 Rec, 2457 yards, 19.6 yds/catch, 23 TD, 81.9 yds/game - Looks like Arizona has found their receiver in Cobb. He impressed the nation with a big game against Michigan State and doesn't look to slow down.

Illinois

Junior (RS) QB Nathan Scheelhaase - 160.6 QB Rating, 478/850, 8532 yards, 68 TD, 27 INT 284.4 yds/game, 56% Completion rating - Scheelhaase is tearing up the secondaries around the nation. He will probably go well above 10,000 yards in his carrer and could even reach 100 TDs. He is a little shaky with the INTs but they don't appear to phase him at all. An early favorite for the MVP trophy.

Maryland

Senior (RS) MLB Avery Murray - 132 Total Tackles, 117 Solo, 15 Assissted, 22 TFL, 3 Sacks, 2 INT, 97 INT yds, 8 Deflections, 2 FF, 3 FR, 88 yds FR yds, 1 Safety, 3 TD - He stood out in my eyes on the Terps squad. As a linebacker he is very impressive as he appears to terrorize every offense he comes up against. I would not be surprised to see this kid get close to 200 tackles and add a couple more TDs to his list.

Northwestern

Senior HB Arby Fields - 374 Att, 1827 yds, 4.8 yds/carry, 22 TD, 79.4 yds/game - Over the years in The Rise we have heard about Arby Fields doing some great things and he is earning the recognition for it. Not the best back in the nation but he is carrying the load for the Wildcats. Look out for him to be a darkhorse in this MVP race.

Rutgers

Senior QB Tom Savage - 170.0 QB Rating, 338/610, 6670 yds, 53 TD, 18 INT, 230.0 yds/game, 55% completion rating - I think we all knew this was coming when I got to Rutgers. Savage is leading this team to glory. They have been in the top 10 almost since this league began. Look for him to make some more noise as he competes with Scheelhasse for MVP.

Stanford

Senior (RS) QB Andrew Luck - 164.5 QB Rating, 474/778, 7899 yds, 63 TD, 33 INT, 263.3 yds/game, 60% Completion Rating - I thought Scheelhaase and Savage were impressive...until I saw Luck. He will easily pass 10,000 yards passing and could come close to 100 TDs if he keeps playing the way he has. Another early favorite.

Virginia

Junior (RS) HB Dominique Wallace - 381 Att, 2009 yds, 5.3 yds/carry, 22 TD, 118.1 yds/game - Given UVA's QB situation Wallace has jumped to the challenge of leading his team and that he has done. He is only a Junior and if he sticks around for another year look to see him come close to 4,000 yards and 50 TDs.

Current Standings
    1) QB Andrew Luck - Stanford
    2) QB Nathan Scheelhaase - Illinois
    3) QB Tom Savage - Rutgers
    4) HB Larry Caper - Michigan State
    5) MLB Avery Murray - Maryland

2. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Its funny you posted this. Great content by the way. I just looked up the school records yesterday and it looks like Luck might be able to crush everything for Stanford if he stays upright.

3. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Ya Scheelhaase should easily break every Illini Passing record with our new offense, he just needs to get the INTs down and his completion percentage up to the 60's

4. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Abby Fields so far has been a disappointment, he fumbled in overtime against Central Michigan, and in no game has he broke out

5. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I want to reiterate what I said yesterday about Abby Fields he sucks, he finally went off against Indiana, but again it was Indiana. He fumbled twice, he almost cost me the game against Indiana because of his fumbleitus

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Man I don't know how Cobb isn't on that current standings list. He was last season's Bilitnikoff winner for the nation's best WR. This season he is still putting up big number's despite an offense focused more on the run (switched to the Michigan option spread) and a true freshman playing QB. If it wasn't for Cobb I wouldn't have won any games this season haha, my other WRs are trash, as is my O-line and HBs. Not to mention my true frosh QB is a god awful passer.

7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

These are career stats? I think we need to capture a better point in time in order to do MVP voting. Something like last years stats or this years stats. Career stats would be useful if you wanted to say that the award was for Seniors only or something like that. When you include the Juniors it's difficult... for me at least.

Anyway..... thanks for posting this. Are we supposed to post a list of who we think should win it?

My list:
    1. Steelballs - More yards, more TD's, less INT's than Luck. Luck has the skill set but not the numbers
    2. Luck - Staggering that the guy would come back... staggering.
    3. Murray - A bit of a homer pick but as I've mentioned the dude just makes plays. 2nd in the nation in tackles thus far
    4. Caper - Kind of worries me that I'm deciding between him and the Junior Wallace BUT I think Wallace will be a strong candidate for MVP should he decide to return next year.
    5. Wallace - Besides I think being the front runner next season I feel like averaging 118 yd/gm whilst carrying Virginia on your back is pretty impressive.

Yes I said Steelballs to be funny, now laugh damnit.

8. Hova

Steelballs is finished, out for 4 weeks.

9. Keller

Damn you steelballs.

10. Masler

Masler Moderator

I'm doing career stats because Juniors of this caliber could leave just as easily as a Senior could, notice how there are only like 2 Juniors on the list as well. I am paying attention to Season Stats as well. I decided not to do voting until the end of the season but I like how Keller put his input in with his list. If everyone wants to put in their Top 5 it will definetely tell me who should rightfully win.

11. Masler

Masler Moderator

I know he has the talent, just keep working at it, lot of season left.

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

If he makes an impressive return it he may not be out of the race. Still has impressive numbers

13. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

My top 3 would be:

1)Cobb
    2)Caper
    3)Sheelhaase

I've played against Caper and Sheelhaase and I know how important to their team they are, but I would argue that Cobb is more important to his team than either of them. If I lost Cobb to injury, I wouldn't score, I have no other weapons other than my QBs running ability.

14. Keller

[​IMG]

15. Keller

Disagree. Just like the Heisman, if you miss a few games you're out of it. Steelballs I love you, but you're finished.

16. Masler

Masler Moderator

I won The Experience MVP with Trent Richardson out the last 4 weeks on injury due to impressive stats

17. Hova

He already broke the career passing record at Illinois in the 1st QTR

18. Masler

Masler Moderator

Once we reach the end of the season, records will be part of the "equation."

19. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

No love for Savage? Check out his season stats so far. :D

20. Masler

Masler Moderator

Savage will probably overtake Steelballs on my list due to injury. In terms of TD/INT ratio he is the best of the 3 QBs

21. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Honestly I'm having a hard time making my list because I don't know all of these players as well as say, Tom Savage. So should I vote on sheer statistical data? If so, kind of hard to tell what is impressive and what is not unless I have an aggregate list to compare it to.

I like JCspartan's notion that his player (Cobb) is the most valuable because he is the most instrumental part of his team's success. So maybe that should be weighted heavily into consideration along with just stats. I'm a ramblin' man today...

22. Masler

Masler Moderator

Yea I would look at every team. Look at the players putting up the most stats and then look at how they do each game, mostly user games. Alot goes into this.

23. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Dude, its Luck... best player on the best team. Just had a MONSTER game... played like a warrior... took 11 sacks and kept going. He is closing in on the school career records for passing yardage and TDs.

24. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

The best team hasn't been decided yet!

25. Masler

Masler Moderator

Agreed