The Royal Report

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by _MG_, Jun 27, 2011.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    BREAKING NEWS: ROYALS UNVEIL 2013 UNIFORMS

Kansas City, Missouri​

The Kansas City Royals unveiled their new uniforms today, just hours after being eliminated by the rival Chicago White Sox at Kauffman Stadium. Team President and CEO MG addressed the media and took questions at the press conference. Here is a recap...​

• MG says that the new change is to incorporate all of Kansas City Royals history, from the 60's to the 80's to now. "It is about putting everything we have learned as an organization on the field...all at once."
    • When one media member commented on how hideous the new uniforms are, team manager Ned Yost shouted "Did you watch the game today? These uniforms fit our team perfectly. Hideous jerseys for a hideous baseball team." Yost then slumped back into his chair and cried with his head in his hands the rest of the afternoon.
    • When questioned about the upcoming offseason, MG commented on the teams need to get younger in some areas and perhaps add some veterans in others. "We need to get better defensively. We need to grow up a little.We have had our time to build and reload, now it is time to win. Next year is a must-win season for the Kansas City Royals. It is about time we make it back to the postseason, and the moves we make this offseason will be win-now maneuvers to accomplish just that."
    • MG commented on rookie Sonny Gray's miraculous rookie season, saying how he thinks he deserves to be in the running for Rookie of the Year and that they got much more out of him than they expected.
    • To close the conference, MG quoted Michael Bolten while addressing Royals fans worldwide. "I never made promises lightly. And there have been some that I've broken.... But I swear in the days still left ....We will walk in fields of gold .....We'll walk in fields of gold." After an awkward, drawn out, over dramatic pause, this presser is over.
    Alright here are the goods....

HOME
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AWAY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ALTS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Royals deal Soria, sign Laporta and Cabrera long-term
    [​IMG]
    KC, MO

Royals fans knew something had to give. Heading into this season with 3 big potential free agents for the 2013 offseason, talks about a trade sprouted every which way. In the end, the Royals decided that their young outfield was too valuable to lose and sent the best closer in baseball packing. Joakim Soria, 32, is coming off yet another stellar season. He lead the league in saves with 13 and for the second consecutive year won the Rolaids Reliever of the Year Award. Still, as said to the media by Kansas City General Manager MG, a deal could not be reached. "Our hands were really tied here. We had this looming over us for long enough, and it was time for us to make a move. Still, we love Joakim and wish him nothing but the best in Chicago." The world series champion Chicago Cubs sent the Royals some help in return. Along with Carlos Gomez, Soria was sent to the Cubbies for veterans Angel Guzman (who may assume the closer position for KC in 2013), Micheal Cuddyer and young 2b prospect Jace Peterson. "We really liked Jace Peterson when we scouted him coming into the amateur draft. We feel he is someone who can help us in the long run. Cuddyer and Guzman will help us immediately next season. When the Cubs called and gave us their offer, with all respect to Car-Go and Joakim, it was a no-brainer. We feel, despite the large loss at the closer position, we strengthened our team as best we could with consideration to the circumstance we were in."

[​IMG][​IMG]

Don't worry Royals fans, we have good news too. Young Royals stars Melky Cabrera and Matt Laporta both signed 4-year extensions after this season, making them Royals property until the end of the 2017. "We were so delighted that Melky and Matt wanted to stay Royals. They are the faces of our franchise and when they finally signed on the dotted line together, I think Royals fans everywhere went crazy. Mark my words, these two young guys will be Royals up until their contracts are up. They aren't going anywhere." Cabrera and Laporta will once again join Alex Gordon, who signed long-term also this offseason, in a Kansas City outfield that looks like it has the most upside in the whole league.​

Some other Royals news and notes...

• With the addition of Angel Guzman, it seems it will be a 3-horse race to secure the closer role this spring. Jesse Crain has already stated he would love to take over as the teams 9th inning guy, and with Manny Delcarmen coming off his best season yet, this will be interesting to see how it shakes out. Right now we would give the edge to Guzman, who is coming off some late-inning heroics in the 2012 World Series for the Cubs.
    • It looks like newly-acquired Gabby Sanchez and Eric Hosmer will split time at 1b and DH this season. Royals Manager Ned Yost told the media that he wants to keep both of them fresh all season long, and that platooning them at 1b and the other at DH will keep them both rested and still in the lineup together.
    • It looks like Brayan Pena and Lucas May will once again platoon at the catcher spot this year. May seemed to flourish when in the lineup versus lefties and Pena gave the Royals an unexpected power surge against righties. This seems like a good plan, as both succeeded and seemed to enjoy splitting starts last season.
    • Another interesting competition this spring will be for the Royals 5th starter position. The Royals re-signed Vin Mazzaro this offseason. Mazzaro did an outstanding job as the 5th starter in 2011, but spent all of 2012 in Triple-A Omaha. He will battle young Daniel Norris and Mike Montgomery. We hope Montgomery gets put back into the bullpen, as adding a second lefty with Tim Collins will really help give Ned Yost options and help with matchups as the season goes on. We give the edge to Mazzaro to win the 5th spot in the rotation, but don't be surprised if Norris doesn't find himself some starts this year too. The young 19-year old phenom won a big game for the Royals late last year and showed he has a bright future in store for himself at the major league level.
    • With the Royals adding Michael Cuddyer in the trade today, they seemed to have re-stocked their bench nicely. Having Jeff Francoeur to come off the bench last season and bat late in games or be used as a late-inning defensive replacement was a luxury that most teams never have. Replacing him with a veteran like Michael Cuddyer was a slick move by GM MG, as Cuddyer is a wiley veteran who has a better bat than Francouer and can still hold his own in the field. This might not be the move Royals fans were hoping for, but this under the radar move really shows how much the Royals value their bench.
    • Look for the Royals to give Jace Peterson every chance in the world to win the 2b job over Ryan Theriot this year. I predict the Royals will bring Peterson up to start the season, and depending on how he adjusts to big league pitching, either send him down and let Theriot start or give him the job.
    • I have been told the Royals are going to release Johnny Giavoteela from Triple-A Omaha. Giavoteela was a 2b prospect who never fully developed for the Royals. We wish Johnny the best in his future endevours and collectively hope his release doesn't come back to bite the Royals in the ass in the future.

3. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Royals name Delcarmen their Closer, Choose Aviles over Theriot

[​IMG]

KC, MO

Before the Royals game against the Minnesota Twins this afternoon Royals Manager Ned Yost met the media and formally announced RP Manny Delcarmen the closer to start the 2013 season. This announcement is a little anti-climatic considering Delcarmen closed out the game opening day yesterday and pitched 2 scoreless innings in the 6-4 win over Tampa Bay, but Yost said there was a reason he waited until now to make the announcement. "I wanted Manny to go out there and get it done once. I wanted him to really prove he could handle being the closer, and last night he delivered. I know he might not have been the frontrunner to win the job according to the media, but I think he fits the role the best. There is no doubt he has closer stuff. Jesse Crain and Angel Guzman will be our set-up guys and Delcarmen will be there to shut the door for us in the 9th. I am excited for Manny, he has been in the league a long time and has paid his dues, he deserves this opportunity and I have all the confidence in the world he will be a bright spot for us all season long."​

The announcement comes after a spring training competition for the closer spot that was vacated by the shocking trade of 2-time defending Rolaids Reliever of the Year winner Joakim Soria this offseason. Many thought veteran Jesse Crain or newly acquired Angel Guzman would win out, and most (including myself) had Delcarmen even in the race to begin with. There was even a twist where a fake Royals twitter account named Louis Coleman the closer last week, a claim that was quickly and adamently disputed by Royals brass. Delcarmen was arguably the Royals second best reliever after Soria last year, so although this is a little bit of a shock it makes sense. Here's to hoping Manny does an admirable job and fills in nicely for Soria.​

In other news, the battle for the bench infield spot was decided as the Royals brought Mike Aviles back with them on the 25-man roster and sent Ryan Theriot down to Triple-A Omaha to start the year. When asked, Yost explained how he came to the decision of Aviles over Theriot. "It was the hardest decision I had to make since I have been with this team. Theriot is a great player, I just thought we needed a bat off the bench that can hit righties, and Aviles over his career has been a better hitter against right-handed pitching than Theriot. I am sure we will see Ryan up at some time this season. I know it was disappointing for him, he has been in this league for a while and deserves to be here. It was a tough situation, but I think I made the right choice."​

4. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    THE ROYAL REPORT WAS AWESOME, LOOK AT THOSE SLICK NEW UNIS!

5. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

haha, the new pants look like softball pants

• Like Like x 2