The Rumor Mill: S3 - "The Season That Was and the Off-Season to Come"

Discussion in '4th Horseman' started by Jman, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

So, its that time that things start to get interesting! Some are in bowls hoping to notch more press for their team or catch the eye of the universities looking for new leaders of their Football programs, others are at home licking their wounds thinking of what could have been.

The biggest question, how is everyone looking going into the offseason, well, things are looking up for T4...(NOTE, these are form BEFORE we advanced to Bowls)

User Team Prestige Security
    Jman Kansas A+ to A+ 94%Security
    Baron FIU B to A+ 76% Security
    Decay Maryland B to A+ 61% Security
    Hokie Texas Tech D+ to B 91% Security
    Dwreck Idaho C to B+ 71% Security
    Chuck New Mexico D+ to C 76% Security
    Matt Akron D to D 60% Security
    Gmangs Army D to C 100% Security
    Jes New Mexico State D to C 80% Security
    Papaloke UAB D to D 93% Security

Rumors rumors...what might happen in this years carousel? Who really knows. One thing is for certain, there will be some shake ups with moves of coaches, and of teams as Mizzou is set to join the SEC East, WVU will be BigXII bound, Syracuse and Pitt are headed to the ACC, and a plethora of teams are headed to the Big Easy (SDSU, SMU, Houston, UCF, and Boise). This leaves room for applications by teams to CUSA and maybe even the MWC to balance the powers.

The job market is not without its rumors either though with the top 10 possible openings being:

School Current Situation
    Utah State 15% Security
    Arkansas 16% Security
    Florida 20% Security
    Navy 23% Security
    Clemson 23% Security
    Mizzou 25% Security
    Cincy 27% Security
    Purdue 27% Security
    BYU 34% Security
    Kentcky 38% Security

Other notable HC possibilities include LSU, Pitt, MSU, VT, and Oregon.

We should probably mention the top 5 possible OC openings as well:

School Current Situation
    Arkansas 36%
    Pitt 39%
    Wyoming 43%
    Oregon State 43%
    Mizzou 44%

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. Jman

3. Jman

Coach Jman is happy. Three straight conference titles for his team (MAC, PAC, XII) and now two straight BCS bowls and wins. Rolling with A+ prestige, a cause of happiness for Jman, and concern for Kansas.

We have a decent enough core group that I know I could make this thing fly in a couple of years, we will be getting a 3rd star this season and that one always seems to open up recruiting to teams. Add to that a solid group of JuCo's incoming and the reasons to stay are actually plentiful.

That said, I'm apparently the merc of the OD, which was completely unintended and I will openly admit that I will entertain all offers...and the phone have certainly been ringing. You want to win now? Pick me and my staff. I think there is one good move left in me and the then roots will be dug in for the rest of the OD, it'll take a good one to leave the great plains though...but there are those out there.

All in all, the future is bright for Coach Jman, but is it for KU? Time will tell.

4. Jman

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Arkansas, Florida, or Clemson would all be great fits for my coaching style at high profile BCS schools. Mizzou, Cincy, Purdue, and Kentucky would be settling. But it would be nice to be able to control the D. That would allow me not have to force things with my offensive play calling. Hence the 30+ turnovers?!?!?

6. Jman

Yeah, you def just need a HC gig somewhere.

7. papaloke

papaloke Fifty Shades of NCAA

Three seasons ago coach papaloke (aka Neil Callaway) signed a 3 year contact that will expire at the end of this year. During that time UAB has won 3 straight bowl games, gone to the conference championship twice and won once. The program has definitely been turned around. Papaloke has brought in solid recruiting classes with this year being the best. Three four star recruits have committed to the Blazers along with a string of other 3 stars. The future looks bright for UAB but the question remains as to what path the coach with take. Papaloke's coaching prestige has taken a hit and remains at questionable "D" grade. He failed to sign a fullback in his first season and failed to meet one of the goals set by the AD. (Fill all recruiting needs before the end of each season.) Other than this, there really isn't any other argument for why he hasn't moved up the coaching prestige ladder. That being said it seems unlikely that papaloke will have many job opportunities this year, at least not any that would propel him to star status. UAB was a 3 star program this year and hopefully will jump to the 4 star level. Papaloke will keep his options open but the goal of being a HC in a big time conference seems still far away.

8. papaloke

What do you mean?

9. Jman

3 teams in 3 years.

Maybe 4 teams in 4 years and all I've done is win. Thats a hired mercenary if anything is. :p

I never intended to be that guy, I knew we'd have one in the OD, but I really thought I'd get a gig like Wazzu and stay there, probably should have.

10. papaloke

I'm sure you're just looking for the "right fit". (y)

11. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Well Muschamp's security is at 20%, he's in the last year of his contract, and Florida has been getting stomped as of late. C prestige might be too low to get UF but did you set them as your alma mater? Though from the sounds of it, Jman and Hokie might beat you there.

The formula EA uses to calculate prestige needs to be fixed. What does it matter if a guy doesn't have great recruiting classes: if he has a conference championship and consistently wins, his prestige sure as hell shouldn't go DOWN.

Also, expecting FIU to take that next big leap and become a 4*. The more I think about it, the more I think that I'll probably stay at FIU. But I get the feeling this upcoming season will be rough, but the season AFTER that will be something legends are made of. And besides, there's no way Fickell gets fired in this OD. Though from what I saw, Saban and Miles security isn't that high. Could Coach Baron really go to Bama or LSU? (Hokie and Jman'd probably get those offers before me so... probably not lol.)

12. papaloke

Damn didn't know about the alma mater either, another rookie mistake! Our league may be dead before I get to coach the Ole Miss black bears.

13. Baron

Well I like the longevity of our league to be honest. And Ole Miss is probably going to be an easier get than UF or tOSU.

14. Jman

Big wins do help you, just not a ton. They are more likely to get you an extension than a bump in prestige, security is good too.

Baron, might think about formally applying to the NCAA czar for admission to C-USA? They are losing teams this year after all...

15. Jman

For sure, I >GUARANTEE< Ole Miss will open up eventually, always does in the carousel.

Mine on the other hand (OU) there is ZERO chance, Stoops stays for 20 years and the Heupel gets it...always.

16. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

You get a bump every time you beat a "higher ranked" team. Honestly though, in crap conferences you usually will outrank every other team, if you are in a BCS conference as a 1* team you are likely to get that bonus 4 or 5 times per year. But the logic of the prestige is somewhat weird regardless.

17. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

If you want a job to come up you have to schedule them against every user and they have to get beat, probably for a couple years, even then you had better have one or two users in their conference so they dont go to BCS bowls

18. Jman

Not going to do that just so someone can get a job.

19. Matthew Keves

Matthew Keves Walk On

If I end up at Akron next season I god damn guarantee we're making it to a bowl game and might even be in the running to play in the MAC championship game. After having probably 80% of my roster filled with guys who should be working at the Gap, the recruiting is finally getting better for the Zips. After taking a sabbatical and finishing 4-8 with D prestige, I don't expect to be going anywhere and probably wouldn't take a crappy coordinator job after all the blood, sweat and tears with this team.

20. Baron

My initial thought was that the czar could jog on, but then I'm playing papaloke next season anyway, and it'd be nice to have somebody else in my conference, plus the potential to play during the conference championship game (assuming there's still enough teams). Consider this my formal application to C-USA. I know it wouldn't be geographically accurate but could you put me in C-USA West, that way there's a chance Papaloke (assuming both of us stay at our respective schools) could meet in the C-USA championship game?

Yea, Stoops always seems to have the longest tenure of any of the initial coaches. Him or Les Miles from what I hear, but apparently LSU is down in our OD.

:(

21. papaloke

I'm cool wit it.

22. Jman

I've actually seen Lester fired year one before, LSU won't hesitate to drop the axe.

As for tOSU, that one always comes open too good sir.

23. Jman

In the words of one of my favorite John Wayne movies...

"Thats bold talk for a one-eyed fat-man"

:D

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dwreck

Dwreck Walk On

The goal for coach Dusty Bottoms this year has been to get as many goals accomplished as possible in order to get the hell out of Idaho before he gets too attached. It seems like the better he does, the more the OD thinks that Idaho is a good job and forces him to stick with it or face the unknown of not having a job. Going into this round of Carousel and not having to worry about having a job will make things much easier. Bottoms will be able to sit back and see if he gets any offers knowing that he still has a home in Idaho if nothing good comes along. Having accomplished many of the goals that will lead to positive prestige, the rest of the 3 year contract that he signed last year will do nothing to help his prestige and could potentially hurt it making this the ideal time to get the fuck out.

As I was out of town for the end of season 1, my memory is a little hazy, but I think that Idaho is permanently slotted into the Humanitarian Bowl and has played three straight. Idaho has won at least 1 and maybe 2 (can't remember what happened the first season) conference championships and has increased the team prestige a star level each season. This year the last time he looked had the #17 ranked recruiting class in the country by pulling a 5* out of GA and adding two 4* to the slew of 3* recruits. A big win @ Ohio State this year doesn't hurt either.

So where would he go? His alma mater is set to Florida because that is where wife did her undergad and with that most likely coming up can he be a possible candidate? I am guessing it's a long shot, but any BCS conference team with a 3* prestige (and most likely even a 2*) is going to be very attractive. I don't think he will be happy with a coordinator job so his options may be a bit more limited, but it looks like there will be a ton of opportunities.

Top 5 (of the schools mentioned): Florida, Oregon, VT, MSU, Clemson
    Would consider any except: Navy, Utah State, BYU

• Like Like x 1
  25. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

I made Alabama my Alma Mater so if I get an offer there then you can better believe I would accept and never leave! Lol!