The Showdown:OSU vs LSU in the BCS Title Game

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Feb 22, 2011.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

In case you have missed it Arch and I are playing for the National Title this year. We plan on playing the game once all of the other games have been completed so this leaves us with a bit of a void leading up to the "big" game. So Arch and I thought it would be cool to do a little pre-game analysis for the masses. We plan to do a position by position breakdown of our teams and see where we all stack up against one another. But before we do that we are going to frame this conversation with some team statistics.

Let's begin with defensive statistics.

Scoring Defense:
    • OSU: 136 total points given up in 12 games
    • LSU: 143 total points given up in 13 games
    Number of Shutouts:
    • OSU: Two shutouts (Army, Indiana)
    • LSU: Three shutouts (Auburn, Ole Miss, UL Lafayette)
    Opponents Points Per Game Average:
    • OSU: 11.33
    • LSU: 11.00
    In User Games
    • OSU
      • 3 user games (GTech, Iowa, Michigan)
      • 65 total points given up
      • 21.66 points per game
    • LSU
      • 4 user games (Iowa, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee)
      • 89 total points given up
      • 22.25 points per game
    The only common opponent was Iowa
    • OSU won 42-39
    • LSU won 42-21
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

LSU OSU bcs_war.jpg

Keys to the Game: The Running Backs

Both LSU and Ohio State enjoyed the success that they did due in large part to powerful and balanced running attacks. Each squad has a trio of backs that look ready for the league right now. Let's start with the Tigers of LSU:

[​IMG]

2013 Rushing LSU.PNG

The Tiger running game begins with the explosive scat back Scott Simpson. At five foot seven inches tall, Simpson gets lost behind the massive Tiger O-Line, and once he hits a hole, he shows why there is no doubt about who the fastest player in the game is this year. (Note: Simpson is 99, 98, and 99 in SPD, AGI, & ACC) Look for the little man to be all over the field when LSU meets the Buckeyes, as SEC teams seem to always want to test the speed of the supposedly slow Big Ten squads. Simpson splits carries with fellow junior Jakhari Gore, who doesn't have the same top end as the speedster, but is still pretty quick himself (99 ACC). Gore has a knack for finding the endzone, scoring on 10 of his 147 carries this season. The third piece of the Tiger running game is another powerful junior in the form of 229 pound Spencer Ware. Look for Ware to get the short yardage carries and touches around the goal line, if the Tigers can manage to get near the goal line.

[​IMG]

2013 Rushing.PNG

The Buckeye trio begins with senior Jordan Hall, who won nearly every post season award a back could win, even though he only placed third in the Heisman race, which was won by Boise State halfback Brett Bennett in what most considered a terrible miscarriage of justice. Hall's 1499 yard, 20 TD year had Buckeye fans on their feet from start to finish. The second runner in the Buckeye stable is junior Carlos Hyde. This six foot, 248 pound bruiser runs through tackles in a way unseen in the Big Ten since the days of Ron Dayne. Some think his decision to stay at OSU, or leave for the league, might be made when the Buckeyes meet LSU. If he plays well, look for him to come out. Last, but certainly not least, we have senior speedster - and occasional marijuana enthusiast - Jaamal Berry, who piled up 811 yards and 9 TDs on only 78 carries. Look for him in the specialty sets like the Wildcat, and also catching passes out of the backfield. This guy can literally take any carry to the house.

This one's going to be a war, and these guys might just decide the winner.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

As all of our opponents can attest to: Stopping the run is going to decide this game. Maybe a few of them could weigh-in on the topic.

4. nkmi1984

nkmi1984 Walk On

The Buckeye running backs are the best I have seen. You hit them at the line of scrimmage and it still ends up being a 4 yard gain on most plays. Even if you call the perfect play they will plow your D over. Good Luck on trying to stop it because I sure as hell could not haha.

I will be playing my game as soon as I get home form work

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

He had me stopped cold on a third down that would have given him a shot with a minute left or so, and Hall shrugged off a gang tackle and got the first. It was a game-changer for sure. Seems like I get those plays with these guys.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

My ability to stop the run, while not giving up the deep ball will be a big factor in this one. Don't forget we can run the ball hard down in the Bayou too.

7. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Can't wait for this one.

8. egofailure

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Easy has a dress fitting tonight, followed by a mani/pedi.

He should be pretty enough to play by late this evening. :)

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

@egofailure
    @Archie Griffin

As soon as the Pen's game is over it is on!

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Pen's game. Right.

Say hello to your stylist for me :)

12. egofailure

Hahaha, I'm lovin' this! I'm predicting a nail-baiter. There'll be one turnover in this one. The one who gets it, takes all the marbles!

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

There was one turnover but you were wrong about who wins!

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It was big, though. My holding to a FG, and then scoring on the next drive was the deciding swing. The rest played pretty even, and exactly how I would like to see a big game played.

Big thanks to Easy, who played a class game, and also to Ego, who had an answer for the disconnect issue we were having. We thought we might have to sim it, but Ego knew what to do. He was commish there for a bit. He booted us both, re-invited, and we were able to play glitch-free after several attempts.

Now I get to watch my whole team go to the league. It's worth it, though. Year 4, and the commish finally gets a shot. I won this coin flip. I bet easy gets the next one.

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

As Arch said it was a battle. Imagine a Steelers-Ravens game and that is what this thing was. Two smashmouth teams that beat the hell out of each other for 32 minutes. Great game, and I look forward to seeing your team in the NFL Arch!

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Well, that's where they all went. I'm fairly screwed. Oh well, at least I got a sweet new avatar.

17. egofailure

Glad it was a classic, fellas! Congrats, Arch'. I'm excited for the new season ..