The State of the Ole Miss Rebels heading down the stretch

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]

The Ole Miss Rebels are playing about as well as we are capable of playing the last couple of weeks. We've been playing backups the entire fourth quarter and hoping to get some guys seasoning that will have to take on key roles next season. Next week is crunch time! Penn State comes a callin...

The passing game has been pedestrian for much of the year, but has picked up steam lately. We're not forcing as much but we're getting big plays out of short passes, and then mixing in a few bombs over the top.

Running the ball is where our bread is buttered, and it's on that note that we have bad news to report. HB Matt Hall has sustained a 3-week injury and that obviously means he'll miss that Penn State row. While it's disappointing, we have three solid running backs behind him. Still, it's clear that Hall provides something that the others do not... Brute force.

[​IMG]

Hall has adequate speed and quickness, but 81 STR, 86 BTK, 91 TRK are extremely useful for keeping the chains moving. We will have our work cut out for us going up against Penn State next week without him. Despite not having the physical strength that Hall has, Justin Turner is the obvious starter heading into next week. After Hall got hurt Turner had a monster game, with 175 yards on 10 carries, and 3 touchdowns. He also had arguably the most badass run that I've put forth in this game so far:

[​IMG]

Keep an eye on #69 when you watch this run... He goes down like he got shot in the back, no blocking whatsoever as Turner starts off the run with a quick move inside before making a wide juke back to the outside, spinning into the clear, breaking a tackle, then dragging a defender into the end zone... Maybe this is a pedestrian run for some, but for me, this is about as good as it's gonna get.

and one more....

Well... enough highlight videos and stuff...

QB Terrence Robbins has put the idea of a QB competition to rest once and for all. Lefty Mike Singletary has been great in mopup duty, and also earned a compliment from the former Georgia coach makinpropel after last year's conference championship game, but Robbins has simply been more consistent as a starter. His excellent height allows him to see over the defense, and when there's nobody open, he is extremely fast and can run for some yards.

The receiving tandem of TE John Davis and WR Tony Cain has taken a bit of a step back this year because we dedicated ourselves to running the ball. However, as we've become more comfortable with Robbins at the helm and the offense we're running, we've started to open things up a bit more. Davis is the leading receiver with 35 for 628 yards and 8 TD, while Cain has caught fire of late after starting off the season extremely slow and seemingly never breaking open. Cain now has 24 receptions for 521 yards and 7 TD.

The defensive line has been absolutely phenomenal. Our MLB Brad Daugherty (61 TAK, 40 SOLO, 23 TFL, 5.5 sacks) still leads the team in tackles, but there simply aren't as many guys getting through, and ROLB Kevin Webb (49 TAK, 25 SOLO, 8 TFL, 1.5 sacks) is making his share of plays when they do.

The star of the defense so far has undoubtedly been LE Trevor Gaines (95 OVR, 47 TAK, 31 SOLO, 16 TFL, 10.5 sacks). Gaines is almost unblockable at times, and the interior presence of freshmen DT's Justin Horn (85 OVR) and Jonathan Robinson (84 OVR) combined with excellent production by RE Patrick Newell (41 TAK, 22 SOLO, 20 TFL, 8.5 sacks) means this is a front four to reckon with.

We haven't managed to pick off many passes this year, but our coverage has been quite solid, ranking in the Top 35 in fewest passing yards allowed (1,429) despite the fact that we have played 9 games, more than any other team (we have two bye weeks in a row coming up after Sandusky State). We're also 3rd in the nation in fewest rushing yards allowed despite having played 2 more games than #2 Penn State, and 3 more games than #1 Nebraska. In terms of points, we're sixth with 90 points allowed, or 10 per game.

We're looking forward to the matchup against the Hated Ones next week... See you then jms493 !!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Hellisan....yeah your going to kill me like last time...

3. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

In a Offline dynasty I'm in with a whole bunch of friends i have that same RB Dan bailey but my guy is not as good as yours lol his RS freshman year

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Lets remind everyone I fucking let Hellisan have this guy do the complaints that Penn State gets all the same half backs.....not it may come back to bite me in the ass.

He had PSU #1 from PA. No worries though we have 3 of them:) (Hall, Clay, and Brock)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

He was from Connecticut. And you did the right thing... gay having 4 of the same exact player. He isn't starting but he will see action and he's our punt and kick returner.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I am going to hit stick the shit out that bitch!:mad: But enough with your PSU needs to worry about Ohio State

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

#2 PENN STATE vs #5 OLE MISS

jms493 vs Hellisan

Showdown of the century!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Catch it live on www.twitch.tv/jms493 @10:30 pm est Thursday nite. Be there or.......DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Hmm, last time it was a stinker, this better be good!

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Key Penn State Players

QB Jared Hale - 99 ACC

#1 HB Richard Clay - 99 OVR, 99 SPD - 870 yds and 13 TDS
    #2 HB Jermiah Jones - 99 OVR, 99 BKT - 260 yds and 5 TDs

WR Ricky Brown - 92 OVR and 6'7 - 911 yds and 12 TDS

LOLB Terrance Holland - 99 OVR - 4 sacks, 4 ints, 2 FF, 3 FR
    ROLB Joe Foster - 95 OVR - 5 Sacks, 4 FF, 1 FR

CB - Frank Green - 98 OVR - 5 ints

KR - Russell Hall - 94 OVR - 2 KR TDs

This should be a defensive batter. Both teams have superb defenses and I expect defensive scores and turnovers to be the deciding factor. If Jared Hale is not careful with the ball we could see another beat down from the Rebels again. We have not forgotten then last game when Ole Miss almost shut out the Lions winning 35-3......at home. lets see if Penn State can redeem itself.

Ole Miss -2.5 vs PENN STATE

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I have not forgotten that game....it is burned in my memory.

11. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

Not as good as beer batter. Aint that right Papa Perry

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

league rule: one cannot set the line on ones own game...

Mogriffjr ?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Nice write up, should be tuned in tomorrow night. Finally I can watch from my iPad as there is a Twitch app which I just downloaded!

What's the history between you guys with the NCAA 12 release?

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

He crushed me 35-3 last game. Life time he probably is ahead of me I would guess like 10-7 lifetime in favor of lord hellisan

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah, something like this. Our games are usually close, and always fun.. Of course, I'd take another blowout if it happened :D

16. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

Im definitively going to try to catch this

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    PSU -5 1/2
    Over/Under 45

• Like Like x 1
  18. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    PSU favored?
    [​IMG]

19. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Bookies going to go broke.....everyone betting the house on Ole Miss

20. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

That's the real line. I'm taking helli and the points.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I like the underdog role. It gets me more mentally prepared for the bad things that will inevitably happen at the beginning of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  22. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

You mean at the END of the game.

23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL nope. For me the bad shit always happens at the beginning. I rarely will lose one at the end. Can't feel your pain there!!!

#coughgasphack

Although.. I would like to recognize wholeheartedly that I got EXTREMELY lucky to get out of Oregon State with a win mboda.

#nothinbutluck

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  24. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I am taking Hellisan and the points. Penn State has seen nothing like Daugherty.

25. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Fuck i hate that guy.....i hand the ball off and he is in the backfield like a fucking crazy person!