The Sugar Bowl - #4 Purdue vs. #5 UCLA

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The Sugar Bowl - #4 Purdue vs. #5 UCLA

#4 Purdue holds on for Sugar Bowl Win against #5 UCLA

Purdue had a 20-3 lead at halftime, then stretched the lead to 27-3 before watching as UCLA regrouped and made their customary comeback bid. Purdue wound up with a 34-25 win that was anything but easy.

"Against user teams, UCLA seems to be able to make comebacks, so we knew this game wasn't over even when we had a nice margin there," said Coach Hellisan.

[​IMG]
    Robert Diggs gets to Fred Welsh in the first quarter

The Bruins had a difficult time cracking the Purdue 3-4 defense in the first half. Halfback Emmanuel Nicholas was being held in check and quarterback Fred Welsh had nobody to throw to. UCLA punted on their first three possessions, and on the fourth possession Fred Welsh was intercepted by outside linebacker Russell Hixon on a throw to the flat.

Meanwhile, the Purdue offense was moving the ball between the tackles, and mixing in the occasional big play from quarterback Anthony Robinson. Darren Swanson scored on a four yard reception for the first score, and Robinson found speedster Brian Williams all alone on the sideline for a 78-yard catch and run a few minutes later.

Down near the goal line twice more in the second quarter, Purdue played it safe and kicked field goals after good defensive stands by the Bruins.

"Who knows, that might have won us the game," said Hellisan. "Knowing me I try to force something there and it gets returned for a touchdown."

The Boilers refused to play it safe in the third quarter, however. Up 20-3, Purdue moved the ball down the field with a mix of run and pass to score on a 6-yard pass early in the quarter.

UCLA suddenly got things rolling on their next drive, as Welsh completed passes of 27 yards and 36 yards before Nicholas ran it in from three yards out. UCLA converted the two-point attempt.

Brian Williams struck again for the Boilermakers on the next drive, as he was matched up on-on-one against cornerback Reggie Cleveland and simply out ran him for the long bomb, a 67-yard touchdown.

[​IMG]
    Williams hauls in this pass for a 67-yard touchdown

UCLA came back and scored again. The key play of the drive was a 28-yard run by Nicholas, who took the shotgun handoff, found a crease to the right, and slipped one tackle before spinning away to the outside for the big gainer. Shortly thereafter, Welsh handed the ball to wide receiver M. Carter, who got perfect blocking and took it 16 yards through a crease to paydirt. Again, UCLA got the two-point conversion.

[​IMG]
    Nicholas breaks a 28-yard gain

Purdue had no more magic left on offense. An interception by free safety Chad Dean stemmed the tide momentarily, but the fourth quarter became very uncomfortable as UCLA had figured out Purdue's game plan and their superior athleticism became very evident.

With 3:30 left to play, UCLA trailed 34-19, and Purdue had to punt. UCLA took to the air, and scored on a great read by Welsh, who found Nicholas standing all alone in the flat against a 4-deep zone and Nicholas outran the defenders to the goal line.

[​IMG]
    M. Carter scores on a WR sweep

UCLA wasn't sure whether to kick it or go for two again. Corso suggested going for two, but UCLA suffered a delay of game penalty trying to decide, then went for two anyway. They didn't make it. Welsh found a guy in the flat, but Joe Hall was able to stumble his way over and force him out of bounds.

With two minutes remaining, UCLA decided to put the game in the hands of their defense rather than go for the on-side kick, and Purdue was able to get a couple of first downs and then end the game in the V-formation. A very good game against a great team.

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

Great job on the write up Helli. It was a well played game, missing from the recap was your sack on 3 and 2 on your 3 yard line with 5 minutes left. That really hurt cause I had to go for it on 4th and gave you the ball back. Welsh did not play like a Senior throwing 3 picks and losing his composure and we saw some errant throws.
    Game stats and videos are here http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7272#post7272
    END OF THE ROAD
    This game was the end of the road for some great Seniors at UCLA. QB Fred Welsh, OLB (2014 LB of the year) Dennis Quinn, and WR Brandon Cook. Quinn amassed 435 tackles in his tenure at UCLA starting as a true freshman. Quinn also had 17 sacks, 12 interceptions, 3 returned for TD's one of those was 101 yards, 5 forced fumbles and 1 safety. He will be sorely missed a true game plan changer on defense. Cook finished his time at UCLA as the school's all-time leading pass catcher in receptions, yards and TD's. A great ball catcher, takle breaker and open field runner.

3. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

We def. made some big plays on defense, I couldn't remember them all. That's the only way to keep a team like you guys under 50 points.

We should make a players leaving thread.... That's one thing we sort of skip over in this league...

I'm definitely losing DE Daniel Noel, who is a beast and once again had a hand in this game. He had only one sack and 2 tackles, but also controlled the edge quite well especially in the first half. At 6'6, 276, and with 85 or so speed, good acceleration and pass-rush moves, he's one of the 2-3 best defenders I've ever had on any team. We'll miss him for sure.

Junior WR Brian Williams, who if you look at the stats from this game is obviously my go-to guy, will probably leave, and I have a feeling there's nothing I can do to keep him.

Then the big uglies..... We had an AWESOME offensive line this year. That's why I could pound away with a slow back like Robert Moore and come away with four yards more often than not... My left tackle and left guard are both 95+ OVR and are gone. We simply cannot replace them with anybody we currently have and things will be a lot different next year even if Williams stays, most likely.