The Unsim Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by BlyGilmore, Sep 18, 2012.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Tactics and excuses that have been used in real life thus far that are strictly not cool and unsim. This is not intended to point fingers at people, but instead an educational tool demonstrating the kinds of things you should not do, based directly on experiences in The Longest Yard and the MaddenMania Players League.

It is also not a comprehensive list, but instead a work in progress.

Again, a good question to always ask yourself is "on any given Sunday, would I see a vast majority of the teams in the NFL do this."

Tactics:

- Rarely running, and when you do its all draws.

- Vast majority of your run plays are bumped outside, even when running dives, draws, isos and blasts. Run the play like it was diagrammed and where it was intended to go.

- Running the same formation for long periods of time. You rarely see an NFL team come out in the same formation on consecutive plays, let alone many plays in a row or an entire drive.

- No huddle should be used sparingly.

- Give the defense a couple of seconds to adjust. Common courtesy.

- Mix up your defensive formations. Just like the offense, playing Dime all day isn't cool.

- Use "non-standard" defensive formations in realistic situations. 4-6 against a spread? 5-2 against 5 wide? 3-3-5 against an ace formation? Dime against an I-Formation? That screams "I'm doing something suspect" to be successful. IMO standard, base defenses that can be used in any situation are 4-3, 3-4 and Nickel.

- Stat whoring. We all know there's XP out there now for players and your team, but you should be playing with that not in your mind. Sim rules still apply - spread the ball around. Vary your playcalling.

- Be balanced in the run and the pass. The average NFL team ran the ball 27 times last year and threw 34. Only 4 teams threw over 60 percent of the time (and all but one of them sucked). That means, assuming 60 plays, you should be running the ball at least 24 times a game.

- Dropping back 20 yards. You should be back 10 yards at the most.

- Rolling out of the pocket excessively.

- Constant shifting of your D-line and linebackers to try and find holes in the offensive line (the basis of nano-blitzes).

- If you're up big, go into cruise control. Starting in the 4th, run the clock down. You also really shouldn't pass unless its third down and you're trying to stay on the field.

- Respecting your opponent outweighs XP gained from a big play.

Excuses:

- That's my offense.

- That's my defense.

- I saw a weakness and I'm attacking it. Just like an NFL team would do.

- Team X does it! (Again ... vast majority of teams in the NFL. By our standards the Colts offense under Peyton Manning was not sim. Anything that came out of Mike Martz' head was not sim).

- I don't have a running team!

- I don't have a passing team!

- I can't help it that Player X was matched against Player Y!

• Like Like x 8
  2. BlyGilmore

the more you play, the more you remember ...

- Even worse than the bumping all plays outside move, is the "run it like its supposed to be, until just behind your line, then run parallel with the line of scrimmage outside" move.

- Audibles and hot routes are for ADJUSTMENTS. They are not a "build your own play on the fly" mode.

- Just like the no huddle, use bump and run sparingly. And when you do, mix up when it is used. Even though its only 10/12 times a game, bumping and running every third down is not sim. BNR every time you blitz is not sim.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlyGilmore

borrowing one from Shaun Mason , mostly because of his brilliant use of the hyphen.

- "{Insert Player Name} is a beast, of course he has 1239412 sacks/yards/catches! Bull-fucking-shit.

• Like Like x 3
  4. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

That thread is classic. Nice job Shaun Mason

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Haha, amazing what a new day brings.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlyGilmore

I'm nosing through it now. I have half a mind to go get some popcorn.

Honestly I think a lot of the issues in that thread boil down to something i've noticed at this site for a while ... people don't talk about how they play the game.

instead of sharing tips and ideas for the collective benefit of the community (and get better, more competitive games for yourself) everybody keeps everything close to their vest either to a) keep some advantage over other players b) fear what they're doing isn't cool, but they don't want to give it up.

I love this site and have been here since the beginning, but that's probably the only disappointment about how this place has evolved.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I'm guilty of this, especially off the field.

8. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

That was a huge thread, all in one day.

I am assuming TMFL is on all pro, what are your slider adjustments?

20 sacks by chris long? that is a bit much.

So far this year for me, running has been much harder, especially inside. As usual, outside runs are over powered as pursuit angles are bad for both the LBs/safety

9. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

To me, people play to win and dont want to lose, that simple. Doesn't matter what they say on their league application and how modest they can be, they want to win and get their guy #1 in stats.

10. BlyGilmore

and such people will quickly find themselves not in this league, and have a hard time finding other leagues to join.

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I don't disclose the sliders.

The only things I've announced are 75 speed threshold (which limits those outside runs to a degree), All Pro with fatigue and injury adjustments.

12. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Cool thanks, i always wondered what direction the speed threshold levels out the speed. So higher means speed difference between player is reduced.

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Exactly