The Wheels Fall of of UNLV's Wagon - Interview with Coach Hale

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jul 21, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Following a string of solid outings to begin the season and with them the rising hopes of taking "the next step" as a program earlier than any could have imagined, UNLV laid an egg at Nevada on Saturday. For the first time all season, UNLV simply looked bad, getting outplayed in every facet of the game and resulting in a 41-6 drubbing at the hands of their bitter in-state rival. The Heaven's Herald sat down with the always colorful Coach Hale for an interview after the game:

The Herald: Coach, just take a few seconds and give us your thoughts on this game.

Coach Hale: We got destroyed. We were terrible. I thought we might end up being good. But we suck. We really do. So frustrated with myself, with my players, and with just a total lack of effort throughout the game. Very dissappointed. We suck. We suck bad.

The Herald: You guys seemed to start off slow. But then down 14-3 in the 2nd, you were making a drive and you could feel the turnaround, which we have already come to expect with your team... to keep fighting. But then your star RB Tim Cornett fumbled for the 1st time all year and on the same play, got injured again and sat out the rest of the game. You have some thoughts on that play being the biggest play of the game and kind of the nail in the coffin a bit?

Coach Hale: Nope. But I have some thoughts on Tim Cornett. He's about to get his ass cut if he can't man up and play some damn football. He's lucky he's not my son... I'll tell you that. What? His back hurts? Spasms or something? Well my back hurts too. Stop crying like a little bitch and play some football. The tough thing is I'm a realist so I understand he's all we got, that his talent is what might make or break us. Well? Sad that one kid can have so much talent, and really so much power, and be such a puss. And what am I supposed to do? No idea. But I can tell you this... we just added two new RBs to our Recruiting board, that's for damn sure.

The Herald: That game hurt. Is there anything to take away from it as you get Wyoming at home next week?

Coach Hale: Welp. Wyoming isn't Nevada, that's for sure. We suck. But at least we aren't Wyoming. And to be quite frank, and you can quote me on this... their coach is an idiot. He runs his mouth a lot and that's about it. Can't wait to beat them at our place. I guess in terms of takeaways, yea, at least this last one wasn't a conference game. Wyoming will be our first of those. So we'll be 1-0 in conference play at least. But who really cares? We will still suck. It's not like beating Wyoming is anything to get excited about.

The Herald: I have to admit your honesty is both refreshing and quite humorous. Some say even a show. That maybe you speak this way to simply grab some headlines and put UNLV on the map. Is this maybe a bit of a show? An act?

Coach Hale: Ask my wife.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

BOOM! Good write up....(I am glad to see you lose simply because I was hoping losses like this would still happen with these teams)

3. vatechhokie01

i will say this about losses. i am glad too in a way. and it is abundantly clear that if you are playing away and a couple of scores or plays/turnovers happen in the opponents favor, the momentum is literally crazy. frustrating as crap. but i like it. glad we (or at least I) won't win em all. But to be sure, my team blows. All D+ vs a hell of a lot of B+ schools. Gonna be a fun year!... and i literally am about to break my TV in an attempt to punch Tim Cornett in the mouth. An absolute puss.

I love this game!

4. TJM

TJM Walk On

Excellent write up! My RB goes down everygame too sometimes for a quarter or two. Turnovers that result in a TD, either on that play or ensuing TD are killers. Happened with me and Duke early and it was all over from there.

5. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

Awesome write up. Can't wait to see the matchup for next week.
    I wonder what the Swami might say?

6. vatechhokie01

3 user-user games next week! tanner/weave should be a good one. total toss up.

7. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

AD's across the country are now scared as hell to hire you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

Oh, next week will be sweet. You my friend, just like Mike Leach (except he was actually good), will be out of a job soon and will spend the football season as an analyst behind the mic. You are SO going to get stomped next week, and it will feel oh so good!

• Like Like x 3
  9. vatechhokie01

lmao. wyoming. hilarious.

10. Goose

Goose Walk On

I've noticed that my RB's do get hut alot during the game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TJM

TJM Walk On

We do like to run the wheels off our backs though. You and UTEP have the top 2 attempts per your player. I will be in the top 10 once the stats update.

12. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

yeah mine got hurt against WMU in the second

13. vatechhokie01

ive noticed that basically if your back is red from being tired and running like 3 plays in a row... there is about an 80% chance he is going down. lame. understand the tired part and maybe lowering the attribs for a play or 2, but for tired to automatically equal "im getting hurt" is lame as hell