They More I Play This Game.....

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Blaza, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

They More I Play This Game.....

The more I am FEELING it hardcore (no homo)! One of my buddies stopped by last night to shoot the shit and share a delicious hollowed out Philly Cigar. He is from Lexington, KY and a huge UK fan. For the past 3 years, we have gone to the UK/South Carolina game together in either Lexington or Columbia. Basically, our rivalry runs strong. Anyway, we fired up old faithful and set up the matchup--Kentucky versus South Carolina.

I came away from the game with several good signs. First off, the tackling animations were SWEET all game. My running backs were taking some huge shots and several times, they would get hit and get drilled to the grass. But other times, they would take a shot, spin off or keep their balance and keep running. The great thing about this was that they seemed to react in a realistic way. I got railed from the side (nh) on one play while running with my powerback and he stumbled in the opposite direction, but was able to keep his balance and turn up field. There is no longer the, hit a player at a certain angle and you are SURE he is going straight down. I remember in '09 sometimes, I would go to pop a RB/WR on the edge and I would take my eyes off the screen as soon as I was in the vicinity, because I already knew what would happen. I also liked the shoestring tackles. My buddy ran a few crossing routes, where he led his WR perfectly, but my DB was in his hip pocket. The WR came up with the grab, but as he made the catch, my DB was in position to make the shoestring tackle and did so. Now if you are playing against a monster 6'5 220 LB WR, they can shrug off the tackle, but for the most part, your DB can make the play there. I'm sure we all remember the BS in '09 where the WR would catch the rock on a crossing pattern and your trailing DB had NO chance to make the play because of the rocket speedburst the WR would get.

With the running game, I love how you really have to lay off speed burst in the backfield. Of course, RT control has always been a requisite skill of a good running attack, but this year you will either get tagged in the backfield, or run into your lineman if you smash RT before you have an appropriate lane. Last year, with a 96+ speed back, someone could run a stretch or toss play and be 10 yards past the LOS before you even had a chance to say Gucci Mane. This year, a patient runner with even 89 speed can get their rocks off on the ground. I feel like also lets us balance running north/south versus east/west more realistically. As anyone who has played the game IRL know, coaches are always screaming at RB's to get up field, and get the positive yardage. In NCAA 10, if I find myself dancing in the backfield looking for the homerun--I will be rewarded with a big play sometimes. But most times, I will get rocked for little or no gain. When I am more disciplined, and hit the first hole, I am usually able to scrape off 3-6 yards. Good job here EA!

My final kudos in this writeup goes to the passing game. It took me a few games to get the feel of the new makeup, but I saw some really good things in my game last night. First of all, the pocket is way more realistic. The DE's can seal off the edge FAST sometimes. And when they seal that edge, if you try to roll out, you are getting sacked 9/10. A lot of people say the pass rush is too strong, but I feel like it is just right and combats the roll and chuck n00bs of last year in a big way. One thing that irked me about '09 was that you could buy tons of time after a 3 or 5 step drop by just dropping back 7 more yards. I hated that. Now, if you take your normal drop and don't stop UP into the pocket for more time, you will get sacked. You really have to step up and trust your pocket this year. A good DLine WILL get to your QB if you lolly-gag in the backfield. PERFECT. With the pressure now on you, it forces you to make more realistic decisions and take the dumpoff or throw the ball away if nothing is there down field.

One last thing I like a lot this year is the WR/DB interaction. As someone said in another thread---last year, you could KNOW a slant was coming and really not be able to stop it even if you had a great DB on an average WR. Now, if I come jam you in the mouth with my 95 OVR DB, it is going to be a battle for your WR to get in position to catch those little quick hitches and slants. But it works both ways--on one play last night, my buddy brought a little 5-9 corner who jammed my 6'5 receiver. Last year, a DB would jam and then do the superman jump where ANY DB could just sky rocket and bat the ball down. Well long story short, my buddy went for the jam, actually MISSED my WR, and I timed a beautiful fade to my WR who caught it over the shoulder and took it to the crib. It was a work of art, and I was going crazy. These are things that I didn't really see in last year's game.

At any rate, enough of my rambling. For you guys that don't like the game, I really recommend you give it a chance. EA actually did a solid job IMHO! Happy gaming boys.

Blaza

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

sounds pretty homo

3. DigginGraves

DigginGraves Walk On

(y)

Good write up too... give this game a chance. There will always be something that needs work but this is a great game so far...
    Although I did find that the D line got some FAST pressure on my QB if you just slant them on every play.... seems a little cheesy it was so effective against me.

Overall... great game

4. Mallard Muscle

Mallard Muscle Blue Chip Prospect

Hilarious.

5. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

So I take it you won the game?

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good post Blaza

7. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

+1

I've had the same type of experience playing against the computer several times in my offline dynasty with an Average Joe CAS. Played two games against better opponents where I won both on last drive plays in a fairly normal scoring fashion. Both games were default AA settings and it was REALLY fun stuff.

I'm excited as hell to start the ODs here.

8. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I have to TOTALLY agree Blaza...This is BY FAR, BY FAR the best NCAA game EA has ever made...Probably going to end up as my favorite football game of all-time. It looks so great and plays great too. I'll have a gripe or two as we go along but so far, I'm already getting my $60 out of it.

Love it!!

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm starting to come around. I hadn't won a game against a human before I played Mike (juggs) today... and I told him at the beginning of the game that I was starting to like it. Then we started dropping passes... and having penalties bring back long runs.

I think the game started out 1) penalty calling back a huge run (would have been longest of hte game for me), 2) WR drops an easy pass 3) strip attempt (luckily not successful).

How fitting would it have been to start the game in that fashion? Anyway, with Mike up 10-0 and DOMINATING, his HB runs to the right, finds a huge gap, and (I didn't even have my D set to aggressive) coughs up the ball on a hit that wasn't even too big of a deal. We recover, go down the field and score so it's 10-7. It was oddly similar to my game in the tournament. His team could do absolutely nothing right for the majority of the rest of the game. Once he was down by 18 points, his team finally started to get it together. But we played an entire game, and there were only a couple of key instances where OUR mistakes cost us. It was the players. It's gonna be the players in this game, and you're just gonna have to deal with it, be patient, and expect the occasional loss where there was nothing you could have done better.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    shouldn;t it be that way...just because you make the perfect play, doesn't mean the players will execute it right...