Things I'd like to see less of...

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by Spayer419, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

LTL7360 jandy cmassey13 cyhiphopp Antonio T. Glen Cieske Jbek KNICKSFAN_84 MrWitness36

I'm in a Madden League right now and having a blast. One reason it's been so awesome is that this community of 30 users can all coexist by following some fairly strict gameplay rules. It's my opinion that Chompions League is equally, if not more of a unique and special situation. Most of have played at least 10 seasons total of dynasty together. There's a few people here that i've played around 20 with, if not more. Our GroupMe chat group has definitely incorporated more of a community feel, and most importantly I think there's a genuine level of respect between each and every dude who participates.

Given these circumstances, I thought I'd share with you some of the gameplay restricts laid out in my Madden League. I've never been one to over-regulate how someone plays -- I think it can lead to too much bitching and moaning -- but considering the level of respect that runs between users, I believe that everyone can tweak their styles to ensure we are participating in fun and equitable gaming.

To be sure, this is not pointed at anyone in particular. The following things that I'd like to see less of are things that I've done plenty of in NCAA 14. But I think it would be an improvement if we toned back on the following, and I imagine most of you will agree with what I'm about to say.

1. Run straight 10 yards and then cut left to sideline on Kickoffs. Take one step to a sideline and then dash the other direction toward the sideline on punt returns.

We all do it, and for an obvious reason. Oddly enough, the game's AI just doesn't cover special teams very well, especially if a return happens in this manner. But it's pretty cheesy. I'm not saying catch the ball and only run straight, but your first move shouldn't always be to cut toward the sideline.

2. A lack of defensive imagination. An overuse of press coverage and/or show blitz

There is nothing wrong with pressing, there is nothing wrong with showing blitz. Both are beatable and you have to have the right personnel to pull either off. But defensive playcalling should be dynamic. Show press when you're playing cover 3. Show a blitz when you're dropping everyone into coverage. There shouldn't be a presnap routine that you go through every time on defense (press triangle, left stick down, right stick up). You know what I mean.

Additionally, there needs to be diversity in the plays you're calling. You shouldn't be playing man 2-man under every down. Run some zone, some blitzes, some zone blitzes. Believe it or not, they can be very effective. It's more dynamic, and in my opinion more fun to call a defense with a little more imagination. You might get burned here or there, but chances are you burn the opposition too.

3. We are not all Peyton Manning. No one is

Hot routes should be used sparingly. More times than not, you should be running the play you called, or at most audible into something else entirely. Curl routes and quick outs are effective, we know. But they should be used 4-5 times a game at most. You should be working with a multitude of different routes. Additionally, you should be calling a multitude of different plays. There shouldn't be 1-3 different plays you go to on third-and-passing. You are allowed to create a playbook. You are allowed to have 384 plays in that playbook. Make the most of it.

If you disagree, or would like to add any suggestions, this is intended to be an open discussion. I hope that we keep playing Chompions League for years, but let's make sure we're always moving forward in the best way possible

• Like Like x 2
  2. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

I figured it would be just one line:

Read option is gay

• Like Like x 2
  3. LTL7360

LTL7360 Play hard for the name on your chest: Texas A&M

My problem with this is we all know the passing engine and coverages. I know what plays just wont work due to the limitations of the game engine. Due to this I may hot route 1 guy a play because his route is useless based on the game. A R&S Go concept is:
    [​IMG]

And in the game the inside slot goes strait to the flats and being useless if the defense runs man. So I HR that inside slot every time I run 60 Go to the 5 yard out. Yeah the defense can be in a sink and the flat would be open, but that means the 1 receiver will dictate his cut based on the zone. Alot of plays are limited because some just wont beat man coverage, and that just encourages more man press.

My multiple HR's also goes with the territory of also having only 5 audibles. The offense memorizes so many plays in real life, as a substitute iv hot routed the whole concept if the original play I called is about the get smashed and the correct check down isnt on of the 5 audibles.

Im glad you brought this up Spayer419 because I wouldnt have thought anything of it. Let me know if yall still want the limitations of HR

4. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

That said I agree with all of these.
    Part of the reason I suck at punt returns and rarely get TDs is because I am not good at the sprint out return. Similar on kick returns when you run up the middle first and then immediately sprint to the left killing the CPUs contain. I like to follow my blocks on returns. If I break one, it's because my boys up front did their jobs.

Defense is a lot more fun when you mix it up. Mixing in a zone blitz can often be really effective.
    One thing about defense though. I think it's ok to get a little one dimensional if your opponent is going one dimensional. Case in point, against Cmassey last night, when he has torching me through the air, I went heavy on the man coverage. A few of the times when I didn't he found a hole in the zone for a big gain.

I usually like to run the play as called with a few wrinkles thrown in so I like point three as well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

First of all, thank you for taking time to analyze my post and come forward with a pretty awesome drawing. I'm going to disagree with part of your prose though, and that's that just because a route is taken away by man coverage it makes it a bad route.

A lot of times certain routes are part of a play to give the offense either a quick tip on what the defense is running, or to pull the defense in a certain direction to open up the primary receiver's route. In the case of the diagram listed above, the #2 route might be taken away by man coverage, but it's a perfect check down if you feel a quick blitz coming. Additionally, if you make the simple read and realize that the defense is playing man, you can then know that #1 and the outlet have a favorable matchup.

[​IMG]

I'm sure we've all seen and used the play i drew above, or a variation of it. This is the perfect example of routes being part of a play, even though they're not necessarily meant to be thrown to. The purpose of the three vertical routes is to pull the safeties away from second level, so that the slot/tight end has a favorable matchup with a less agile linebacker.

I don't mind if you hot route here in there. And if you're hot routing slants and drags and outs and curls and zigs and posts then that makes it even more acceptable. But if your simply hot routing for curls/quick outs and throwing back shoulder throws time in and time out, then that's just not SIM. And it's not that those plays can't be stopped. Cover two destroys both. But when you're constantly doing the same thing on offense, then the defense has to call stale plays as well. And all I'm asking here, especially with #2 and #3, is that we strive for a little more diversity on both ends.

6. LTL7360

No problem. I enjoy the philosophy alot more than the actual game. Im honestly TERRIBLE at the sticks, but scrape by with my concepts. So dont take this as being critical, its just my opinion:

A lot of times certain routes are part of a play to give the offense either a quick tip on what the defense is running, or to pull the defense in a certain direction to open up the primary receiver's route. - In this case my read is safeties (2 deep or 1 deep, check for cover 3 switch) and then WR 2 or WR 3. I can always tell by the 4th step if the defense is in man, while I will know immediately if he runs the flat. And the timing is off is the inside slot goes flat. The WR 1 is being hit on his cut.
    Additionally, if you make the simple read and realize that the defense is playing man, you can then know that #1 and the outlet have a favorable matchup. Thats the problem. The slot doesnt shake man coverage going to the flat. He just asks the defender to get a pick-6. Meanwhile the out at least gives the inside slot a chance to be open by making the LB/DB to turn his hips.

I'm sure we've all seen and used the play i drew above, or a variation of it. This is the perfect example of routes being part of a play, even though they're not necessarily meant to be thrown to. I agree that some WR's are supposed to run players out of the target area, but that isnt always the case because if the coverage switches to cover the intended receiver, the streaking WR is the next option. Even fly routes designed to run a CB out of cover 3 are targets if the CB is shutting down the flats in cover 2.

7. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

I'm not saying their not eligible receivers, I'm just saying their primary function on a play like that is to pull the defense into a deep zone, and their secondary function is to beat a shallow defense over the top.

Again, "I don't mind if you hot route here in there. And if you're hot routing slants and drags and outs and curls and zigs and posts then that makes it even more acceptable. But if your simply hot routing for curls/quick outs and throwing back shoulder throws time in and time out, then that's just not SIM. And it's not that those plays can't be stopped. Cover two destroys both. But when you're constantly doing the same thing on offense, then the defense has to call stale plays as well."

8. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

OMG.......... sooooooooooo much reading

• Like Like x 2
  9. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

OK well I suppose maybe this wasn't the best idea for a thread haha?

10. LTL7360

I think we'll be ok then. I rarely HR comebacks. I used to when the game was new but it does get stale if you cheese the defense by either forcing them to press, or drop a man into the buzz zone. Concerning outs, thats a big part of my philosophy. I run floods and sideline schemes at least every drive. However I only HR to an out if Im trying to change the play to a flood. But Ill start limiting my HR's henceforth. Not like I can get the ball out there anyway haha

11. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

The only HR out route cheese I'm talking about is the same philosophy as the HR curl. You can kind of back shoulder the out routes and just force the defense to press or play buzz zone every play

12. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

1) I would agree that doing that on kickoffs is lame, I try to restrain from doing it. When I had Edmonds I could literally run wherever I wanted and have a chance to score.

2) While I never show blitz, it just not my thing. I enjoy mixing it up (thats why I always give tOSU fits when we play) it's a strategic element that the user has to make a point of doing otherwise the game is just going to get stale.

3) I think if you are hot routing every play then there is a problem, if you are hot routing every third and five and running a curl there is a problem. But if you are occasionally using the hot routes and you are using more than just one, I've got no problem with that. Like Spayer said, a route should only be used 4-5 times per game, and IMO if you're a run first team like me it should be more like 2-3 times per game.

I also agree that some of the plays have routes that are simply there to help determine what coverage the DEF is in, while some are check downs or to draw defenders away from an area. I think it would be more beneficial to the strategy of games if everyone checked themselves.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Or you can be like me and just start hot routing the DEF if the user shows a tendency of HRing to one of those routes

14. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yep you basically summed it all up nicely there, Glen

15. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Yeah I do that too. And, like, there's nothing wrong with sprinkling in some curls and what not. It's just that we should strive to play with the most variety possible on both sides of the ball so the game doesn't get stale.

I know that the big interception I had against you came when you hot routed a curl on 3-and-7 and I showed a man look but it was a cover 2 disguise and it burnt ya

16. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

Only time all game I did it too, it sucked lol

17. Antonio T.

Antonio T. Walk On

I rarely run curls because they never seem to work for me. But you do see it a lot with teams that have some variation of the zone read option. After a no huddle, it's almost un-defendable unless you are in some type of zone defense.

• Like Like x 1