Thinking about draft and the like...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, if we go well, we should be done with this season in the next week or so.

That would put the draft around November 21st.

Here's the problem: That's the week before Thanksgiving. I know for a fact I will be out of town (more than likely) visiting family before I got into retail lockdown.

If it comes between the league and family....no offense guys, but family is gonna come first.

Is there a huge issue with possibly delaying the start of the offseason until after the Thanksgiving Day weekend? I think it will be very tough even then to get a majority of owners together on a Sunday on either the 21st or 28th.

We may need to bring this up to the owners, as I know I will have to be a big help to make the draft a success, and I'd hate to leave you guys hanging high and dry while I'm doing the family thing. Just trying to think a bit ahead.

2. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

Week before will be a lot better than week after, and depending on the leagues interest, I can sub for win... I mean all he has left is a 4th anyway :). Casue if we can use Thanksgiving week for Free Agency that would be EXTREMELY helpful due to the holiday :)

3. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I wasn't just talking about me drafting, Coach. Trust me when I say as a board member you won't be very focused on drafting players come draft day. It's hectic.

4. BadaBing319

BadaBing319 OMFL Broncos / PMFL Eagles

How are we planning on doing the draft? Over the forums? Over AIM? The PMFL draft just completed and it took about 2-3 days on with combination of forum and YIM drafting.

5. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

You mean I just dont get to have fun....

6. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, here is how we've done it in the past:

We typically have 2 forums going: one for the board and one for everyone at the draft. We did it last year via AIM Voice Conferencing. I don't see where we'd do it any different.

We allowed 2 minutes per pick, and updated the Google Doc spreadsheet of draft players LIVE (so people could keep up with changes as they happened). After each round, we took 5 minute breaks. We did 5 rounds last year, and it took 5 hours. Dunlap was emcee, calling players in the forums and asking them to either say their pick or send it via AIM so he could announce it. Frisk was updating the google board, and Nate was adding players to the teams as they were picked. Other board members helped by making sure the chat room was clean of "extra" chat, and there was someone I think announcing each pick in the draft as it happened. Went fairly smoothly until about the third round, when guys were starting to double pick players and/or not keeping up with who was drafted.

I think that about covers it.

7. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Thanksgiving weekend is not an option.

So we are looking at either Sunday November 21st or Sunday December 6th.

Is it feasible for us to open up Free Agency and trading after the Super Bowl and keep it open for around 2 to 2 1/2 weeks and draft on Dec. 6th.

That seems like an awfully long time.

Other option is to draft on Nov 21st. 10 days from now. That seems like a miracle will have to happen for us to finish the playoffs,get cap books straight,start FA and get the draft in order.

Im really stuck on what to do here.

8. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

no way shape or form can we wait 3 weeks to draft and start the offseason. We will kill the league. We all put our families first, but typically guys are able to do MORE when its the holidays just not ONE the holiday and the day before and the day after. We may not be able to do a saturday draft this year and we may have to do a week night, do a round or two, then come back and do another round or two, and just take a couple of days. This will be a killer if we wait 3 weeks to even start the offseason. That won't be good.

9. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

guys, please remember that we are drafting first, so all we have to do is get those books straight, cut players, and then draft. what about my idea of doing a few nights in a row, just 2 rounds a night. this takes not a lot of time, gives everyone a chance to be there for some of the draft, and it gives time for guys to send in updated list each day if they can't be there.

10. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

I like the idea of breaking it up into a couple different nights.

11. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

So you thinking first 2 rounds on the 20th, and the last 3 on the 21st like the real nfl ? Not sure how I can fit in but As far as annoucing the picks and saying who is on deck thats fine by voice... I dont have the typing skills of some of you guys BY FARRR

12. Jeremy

Doesnt FA open before draft in real life?

13. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

I would say yes and no on that... for the most part your FA signings are gogin to come after the draft, so yes it does open but you will get your signings starting in May going on through July. The reason being is teams are trying to fill the needs that they couldnt in the draft. Think about the June 1st cut. That is why it was such a big deal :)

14. Jeremy

FA officially opens on March 1st in NFL if I am not mistaken. I thought we have always had FA before the draft in OMFL?

15. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

No, your right, like I said it does open, but your signings come after for the most part. Also I believe we discussed changing this up in another thread, so based on that I would assume you were correct. However, I think if folks got to draft before they were forced to sign folks you would reduce the cap issues you have had in the past because they would know the salarys of those guys going in and more than likely most of the trading will be done. I am fine either way, but I can see this as a forced asset :)

16. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

It was just recently changed. It now goes: madatory cuts, draft, free agency

17. Jeremy

ahhh..

IMO, if we wait until December 6th we are going to have to open up FA and trading to eat up some of the dead time. If we draft somewhere around 21st we can wait till after the draft.

18. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

I concur :)

19. Miklos_Nyiszli

Miklos_Nyiszli Walk On

i like the 2 draft in 2 days i also agree if we wait 3 weeks to do the draft the league would get killed. we need to try and push the playoffs to get done faster and get the offseason rolling

20. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

I've been pushing as always. We should advance to the conference championships sometime Friday. The problem then is going to be that dunlap can't play until monday or so. Not really a big problem. The OMFL bowl should still be able to take place Tuesday/Wednesday or so.

21. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I personally could do separate days for rounds of the draft. I will personally also be available on the 21st if we can get stuff done by that timeframe. That's a big ask, though. Ten days for division games, championship games, OMFL Bowl, progression/regression, cap book update, and start draft. PLUS you have tons of trades to approve at that time because people have draft picks leaving/coming in.

It's gonna be tough.

22. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

Its why we make the bog bucks win :)