This has to be the coolest thing I've ever seen the CPU do

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by jello1717, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

In all my years of playing NCAA I've never, ever seen the CPU do this before.

I've seen a bunch of fake punts before and because of that I call punt safe if I think they'll fake it. I've NEVER seen them attempt a fake FG before (this would've been a 48 yard attempt). They fact that it worked so beautifully is just icing on the cake!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

lol nice. I'd probably need a new controller if that happened to me late in a game vs cpu.

3. jello1717

I wish the CPU would do intelligent things waaaay more often. I was happy as hell when I saw this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I'm ok with the cpu doing intelligent things if it stops cheating first. I'm not sure I want the cpu to both be intelligent and cheat.

• Like Like x 2
  5. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I agree with Jolts. I am all for the intelligent CPU. I just don't like the psychic CPU that always play bump when I audible to a WR/bubble screen or when I audible to a run. I also don't like the DBs that run the route in front of my receiver.

However, I do think things like this indicate what is possible. The engine is capable of logically determining things like this so hopefully they can use more of things like these and less of the "cheats" as jolts referred to.

6. jello1717

I must be one of those rare people that don't mind at all that the CPU knows my play call. I'm all for anything that makes them competitive.

7. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I don't have any problem with the CPU having better attributes and such but as Majesty said, it's kinda lame when you audible and they line up perfect for your new play, etc.

8. jello1717

Are they able to stop you when they do that though?

9. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I guess it depends heh. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

10. jello1717

Which sounds like the way it should be to me. Do you think they'd be able to stop you as often if they didn't know your play call? I know for a fact that they wouldn't against me which is why I like it that they know my play call.

11. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Well the CPU players generally break a lot more tackles and such so I dont know, maybe you're right

12. majesty95

So why not have them play their zones better and confuse you more with their play calls? Why do they have to know my plays to be competitive? And, when they audible to bump coverage everytime that I audible to a bubble screen, no I do not beat them.

There's ways to make the CPU more intuitive without having the benfit of knowing my plays. Maybe if you're running the same plays over and over, then there is a progression where they learn your tendencies. However, in the first quarter, the first time through your playbook, not accpetable.

The way to make the AI better is to allow them to hot route and use adjustments. What if they dropped a DE into coverage when you're constantly throwing slants? What of they manned up a WR or TE you are throwing to with a zone behind it? What if they showed blitz? What if they pinched their line or moved their DL and LBs to compensate for numbers advantages?

There are numerous ways to make the game more difficult. The psychic ability of the AI is just the easy way. Maybe this engine doesn't allow it. But if it doesn't get better with the infinity engine their sales numbers are goign to continue to drop. Then the people that love it will need to be worried because it will risk going the way of NCAA basketball games...

13. jello1717

I hesitating to even discuss this as I knew it would completely derail my thread but I stupidly did it anyway.

I'll end my discussion here by saying that the CPU can't do those things you listed so I'm very glad that they know my play calls as it helps them to remain competitive.

14. majesty95

I won't drag it on so you can get back on topic, but yes, the CPU is capable of it. They just have chosen not to dedicate the resources to doing it...

15. woodsmall

woodsmall Walk On

Sad thing is that we are now getting excited over smarter play calling by the cpu ... the game should already be playing at this level ... why the change now? I would like to hear what EA has to say about this ... what took so long or how did you discover this new found cpu intelligence?

Also, the cpu knowing your play is rather irritating ... I call a read option or a qb wrap and the cpu has both safeties blitzing and move up to the line ... at this point I audibe to a pass play out of the same formation and no one moves from the current spot ... so once I audible you see the safeties drop back ... really?? This has happened numerous times to me ... Again EA, tell me why that is

16. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

lol no kidding bro. So annoying that I call a read option on 3rd and long and both safeties move up, seriously? What exactly is the difference between the read option and the wrap anyway? Is it just the pulling guard?

17. majesty95

The wrap is kinda like the counter for the HB. It starts the same as the zone read (correct name for read option). The QB fakes the give to the HB and the take the ball back the other way. The difference from the zone read is that the C or a G (sometimes both) will be pulling to lead the QB in the wrap. It's a designed misdirection to throw off the defense much the same way the counter is.