Thomas Jefferson Kicks All Your Asses(UVA Football)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by mcyork, Jul 19, 2013.

1. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 1
    BYU vs Hoo's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well the Cougs traveled to Carl Smith Stadium today to take on our Virginia Cavaliers and started off with a bang scoring on three straight drives to lead 13-0 at the end of 1 only to see the Cav's score twice before the end of the half to take a 14-13 lead into the locker room. The two teams traded scores (a UVA FG and a BYU TD) in the 3rd but the hometown lads rallied around their SO QB to score 2 TD's in the 4th and hold on late for a 31-27 win. These were two evenly matched teams both coming in with young squads and new QB's at the helm. Neither new comer backed down as both QB's had stellar days. Our own SO David Watford had a career day throwing for 278 yards and 2 scores. BYU's SO QB Taysom Hill threw for 287 yards and 2 scores also but the loan turnover on the day a 2nd qtr INT by SS Anthony Harris let the Hoo's back into the game as they scored 4 plays later as the clock hit :09 in the half to take the lead in the ball game. Kevin Parks lead the Cav's on the ground with 68 yards on 14 attempts and a score. SR WR Tim Smith was Watfords main target having 9 REC for 143 yards and 1 score. On D the Hoo's were bend not break quality today. ROLB JR Daquan Romero had 11 tackles and 1 sack. FS Brandon Phelps chiped in with 7 stops and Harris had 6 tackles to go along with his INT. Next week the Hoo's have a bye and then comes an early ACC matchup with NC State.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

WEEK 2
    NC State @ UVA
    [​IMG]
    Well it wasn't pretty. The Hoo's D looked like a pop warner team out there. NCST RB Shadrach Thornton ran over, under, around and mostly through the UVA D on his way to a career day of 24 att 161 yards 4 td's . "Do you remember Tecmo Bowl Bo Jackson?" asked UVA 1st year Coach MC York. "Well Shad was Bo Jackson today. He was unstoppable! We will go back to the drawing board this week and the run D, especially the LB's will need to refocus and remember their gaps. Shad had a great game I tip my hat to the Wolves they came out and punched us in the mouth. They are a great team but I know my guys can compete with them. UMASS better be ready we are a better team than what we showed today I stake my name on that." and Coach York might be right but the D has got to play better if they want to beat last years 4-8 record. On the day the Offense looked better as RS SO QB David Watford had 180 yards through the air with 1 TD and 2 INT's. Of the 2 INT's they were forced throws that in a close game I don't think Watford makes. He did have 63 yards on the ground and scored a TD in the 3rd Qtr. The brightest note from this game was True Freshman RB Taquan Mizzell had 101 yards on the ground on 8 carries with a score. For State QB Pete Thomas was almost flawless (14-17 for 206 yards and 1 TD) the Pack had the ball for an astounding 17:15 to the Hoo's 10:45. That tells you all you need to know. UVA will have a bye week and then invite the Umass Minutemen to Carl Smith Stadium the following Saturday.

3. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 4
    UMASS @ UVA
    [​IMG]
    Smoke and Mirrors!!
    [​IMG]
    For the second straight game True Freshman Taquan "Smoke" Mizzell topped the century mark in rushing (18 att 101 yards) and the UVA running game looked like it was in mid season form as the team went for over 225 yards on the ground. RS JR TB Kevin Parks had 46 yards and 1 TD and FB Brian Skrobacz chipped in with 10 yards and a score himself. But the man of the game was SO QB David Watford who just picked apart the UMass D to the tune of 15-22 for 217 yards and 4 TD's. He also had 59 yards rushing. "David and Taquan were electric today." Said Coach MC York. "They stepped up during our off week and in the days leading up to this game and challenged their teammates to come out and do better." "That throw in the 3rd Qtr by David to Timmy was a throw that you see on Sunday...he put it in a place that only his receiver could get to it. It was a thing of beauty."
    [​IMG]
    "I am very proud of the D too. They stepped up big time after what happened against NCST. " said a very content coach. After giving up over 200 yards on the ground in a week 2 loss to State, UMass gained only 8 yards on the ground. The LB's combined for 21 tackles,3 pass deflections, 5 TKFL and 2 sacks. "Coley,Brim and Romero had great strides in practice and I knew they were due for a good game." said York. Also contributing in the win was the WR corps SR WR Tim Smith had 7 catches for 98 yards and 1 score and JR Dominique Terrell had 2 catches taking both to the house. Next up for the Hoo's they try to battle back into the ACC race with a home tilt with Pitt.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 5
    Pitt VS Hoo's
    [​IMG]
    The D Steps Up Again!
    [​IMG]
    It was and early season conference clash between a founding member of the ACC and a noob. The Hoo's found themselves behind the 8 ball losing already to NC State and 0-1 in the conference. Well the Cav's D showed why Coach MC York is so bullish on this group. They harassed Pitt QB Tom Savage all day. Savage had only 13 completions on the day on 33 attempts. He threw 1 INT and was sacked 3 times. His O line was constantly picking him up off the ground as the UVA D was in the backfield all day. On offense the team kept motoring on as they put up over 300 yards again in total offense. FR RB Taquan Mizzell had 119 yards on the day with two scores. The team totaled 223 yards on the ground with FB Brian Skrobacz adding a TD himself. "Smoke was awesome today, he was hitting all his holes with gusto. Smoke is going to be a real threat for multiple Heismans." said the mercurial Freshman talking in the third person after the game. The Hoo's line was impressive today making huge holes for the RB's and QB David Watford (22-28 2TD's 1INT). UVA had several recruits at the game today. Of note was :4stars: WR Mike Woods from Galesburg IL who has UVA as his top school. The 6'0" 191lbs receiver is the reining IL 100M champ. He has a laser time of 4.36. Also attending was :4stars: Manassas VA RB Clint Hodge. Hodge has UVA and VT as his 1-2 and played on Mizzell's 7 on 7 travel team last year. It was a good day to be a Wahoo fan folks if the team continues to improve on D the sky's the limit in Charlottesville.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 6
    Ball St Vs Hoo's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Leaders of the MAC go DOWN!!!
    Today the Hoo's took on the Cardinal of Ball State here in Charlottesville VA, the game looked like a must win for the Cav's as they have bowl aspirations and as the weeks dwindle to winter the schedule gets much tougher. Well it looked doubtful in the 1st as the Cards lead 7-0 and 14-7 at the end of the 1st. Then SO QB David Watford and his lethal receiving corps took over. Throwing the ball all over the field he marched down the field on two consecutive drives to throw 2 TD passes to SR WR Tim Smith giving Smith three for the half. The above picture represents one of Watford's throws of the year as he hit JR WR Dominique Terrell with this 27 yard pass over the SS's coverage. On the ground the Hoo's got a very productive game from FR TB Taquan Mizzell as he ran for 115 yards on 28 carries and JR TB Kevin Parks chipped in with 61 yards on 7 carries. The D was not as stout as it has been in the last 3 weeks giving up 370 yards but they got the stops they needed at the right times. Next week the Hoo's travel to Wake Forest after three straight home game. The Cav's hosted 4 recruits this week and we will report if we get word on any commits as soon as they happen.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 7
    Hoo's @ Wake Forest
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hoo's D...UVA's D!!!!
    The football team from The University of Virginia traveled to BB&T Field in Salem NC to take on the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest today. The Cav's were two wins from Bowl Eligibility and had already matched their win total from a year ago. A lot of talk was surrounding the Defense coming into this game. The Hoo's hired coach MC York this off season and with the hiring brought in a whole new staff and system. Under former Coach Mike London UVA ran a 3-4 scheme. Coach York implemented a 4-3 with an onus on big DT's to take on blockers to let the LB's roam free and do their thing. The Cav's have had their share of bumps and bruises while learning the new system but it all seems to be coming together after the last couple of weeks culminating with todays victory over a senior laden Wake team 41-10. The Hoo's led from the get go when JR CB DreQuan Hoskey stepped in front of a Tanner Price pass and took it 67 yards to the house and a 7-0 lead. For the next three qtrs. the Cav's gave up only 3 points until surrendering a TD in the closing minutes. UVA's D held Wake to 198 yards of total offense. The Deacs were on the field a total of 10:07 converting on only 2-11 3rd downs. The Hoo's had 4 sacks on the day and held Wake to -6 yards rushing. For the Offense FR TB Taquan Mizzell had 107 yards on 29 carries and 1 score and SO QB David Watford was 18-22 for 236 yards and 1 TD 1 INT. He also scored on a 2 Yard scramble in the 2nd qtr. SR WR Tim Smith continued his hot streak catching 9 passes for 116 yards. The Hoo's look to check off another preseason goal next week with a victory over Duke at home to ensure a Bowl trip. 5 wins and staring down Georgia Tech and UNC for tops in the Coastal who'd have thought that was possible after the last couple of years?

7. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 8
    Dook VS Hoo's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BOWL ELIGIBLE!!!
    They did it!!! The Cav's are going bowling!! Now its just a matter of what bowl they will go to....BCS mayhaps? The Cav's continued their great play on the field today with a 45-13 win over the Blue Devils. The game was never in doubt. The Hoo's jumped out to a 24-0 lead behind SO QB David Watford (14-21 268 yards 3 TD's) and his receiving duo of Tim Smith (5 rec 73 yards) and Desmond Jennings (3 rec 95 yards 2 TD's). FR TB Taquan Mizzell again reached the century mark rushing for 103 yards on 21 carries. But today was again about the defense. As a whole they were in QB Anthony Boone's face all day long. Boone started off 2-11 on the day (he finished well going 21-26 over the last 2 qtrs) he was sacked a total of 5 times and INT once. The INT was taken back for a Hoo's TD by CB Demetrious Nicholson. Leading the party in the Backfield were DT Brent Urban and DE Jake Snyder who both had 2 sacks on the day. Next up for the Hoo's the tough part of the schedule. Back to back home games against two ranked teams in Georgia Tech and Louisville then three road games to end the season. UVA did host several recruits this week :4stars: MLB Chase Kilpatrick came in for a visit along with :3stars: ATH Mike Paul both are very high on UVA's list of must haves. Kilpatrick had UVA second going into the game to Maryland and Paul had UVA 1st with Duke as his second team.

8. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

5 sacks in this one game are pretty much my total amount through 6 games...the fact that I gave up 41 points to Dook looks even worse lol.

9. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

4 of the 5 were coverage sacks nice moves by de to get the qb. I had some great rush moves by my LE only to get picked up by the rb

10. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 9
    Georgia Tech Vs Hoo's
    [​IMG]
    ^^^This Happened^^^
    [​IMG]
    ^^^Because THIS Happened!!^^^
    [​IMG]
    ^^^Which lead to this!!!^^^
    NUFF SAID SEE YOU NEXT YEAR LSUTRUTH

• Like Like x 3
  11. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 10
    Louisville VS 'Hoos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Senior Day For UVA!
    [​IMG]
    Well this was a game that Coach MC York had circled the day he took the job here at UVA. "I really thought we had a good shot to be sitting at 4-4 or 3-5 so this game in week 10 would make or break a trip to a bowl game even if it was against a preseason top 10 team. I called a meeting with all the SR's and I told them this was the game we had to have it would be their last in front of the fans and at Scott Stadium. I wanted...no I needed them to buy into what we had to sell as a coaching staff. And "buy in" they did, look at Timmy. He has a chance to be an AA WR this year a year after catching only 20 passes. He is second in the nation in receptions so far. How about DE Jake Snyder switching from an undersized DT last year to DE this year and getting in Teddy Bridgewaters face all day. I think he had 3 sacks...we haven't had a performance like that since Chris Long was in the building. The one thing I am most upset about with this season is the fact that I only had 1 year to hang around these SR's. They are a great group of young men and we will miss them running onto the field here at UVA. The season if far from over as we have 3 more games. We still have goals to reach especially that game down the road at the end of the season. We will stay focused I promise you that." said a very content Coach after the 'Hoos took it to UL today. UL was without Coach @BigBodySS as he was serving the last of a two game suspension for being an FSU fan on the side. Bridgewater was sacked a total of 5 times today by the UVA D led by the DL who had 4 of those sacks. "You know the DL will get the praise from the media as they made the tackles but what I think most coaches will see watching tape on this game is the fact that the Secondary did their job all day. I know 3 of those sacks were coverage sacks and only two were from called blitz's." Said DC Coach Tenuta after the game. Leading the Offense this week was SR WR Tim Smith who had 10 rec for 110 yards and 1 TD. SO QB David Watford was 21-29 250 yards 2 TD's 1 INT and one rushing TD. FR TB Smoke Mizzell lead the team on the ground rushing for 118 yards on 28 carries. "Smoke would like to thank his homies on the OLine that will not be blocking for Smoke next year. Mo Moses and Luke B. (SR's Morgan Moses and Luke Bowanko) made some big holes for Smoke today..and Smoke is really gonna miss Smoke's FB Billy Skro. Smoke is good because Smoke has good blockers." said a very happy Taquan Mizzell after the game. Mizzell sits at 822 yards rushing on the year and with three games left should become the top freshman rusher in the NCAA this year and with just 4 more yards will become UVA's top FR rusher of all time. On the recruiting front UVA inked another prospect signing :1stars: FB Alex Charles this week. He becomes the 5 recruit in the class of 2014 to sign with the 'Hoos. Next week the team Travels to UNC to take on the Heels in a battle for a bigger and better bowl come the new year!!​

12. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 11
    'Hoos @ UNC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was a game that just feels like it slipped away....The 'hoos were in it to win it, momentum was in their favor...They were sitting at the 10 yard line. It was early in the 4th UVA was down 3 points 24-21. The down was 2nd and 10 and SO QB David Watford threw what most thought was a certain INT to a very covered WR in JR Dominique Terrell. Only the UNC DB ran under the pass not putting his hands up Terrell caught it and turned up field for a what most thought was a TD and a UVA lead. Then all hell broke loose. Terrell was gang tackled by 5 UNC defenders at the 1 and he fumbled the ball as he fell into the endzone. It was recovered by UNC CB Tim Scott and the team just couldn't recover from that. UNC went down and scored essentially putting the game away. UNC rushed for over 232 yards most coming from AJ Blue (107 yards) Bryn Renner had a great game throwing for 3 TD's. Scott had and INT to go along with the FR. UVA travels to Miami next week.​

13. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 13
    'Hoos @ DA U

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This ^^^^ is what Coach MC York had up on the board in the visiting locker room after the game.
    "I wanted the kids to know that you can't win if you turn the ball over like that. We have been very good about hanging onto the ball and David (SO QB David Watford) has made good sound decisions with the ball. Today he didn't and we got in a hole and couldn't get out." said a dejected Coach after the game. If you just look at the stat line 31-49 379 yards 6 TD's and left off the 4 INT's you would throw Watfords name into the Heisman hat. The U's secondary played out of their asses. They totaled 34 tackles 2 INT's 6 DEF. QB Stephen Morris looked like Joe Montana out there. He started the game 21-23 ended 25-31 for 319 yards and 2 TD's but what really hurt the team was RB Eduardo Clements who rushed for 168 yards and 3 TD's on 19 carries. He seemed to get 1st downs every time he touched the ball. He threw off UVA defenders all day. SR WR Tim Smith was UVA's only bright spot catching 12 passes for 168 yards and a score. Next week the 'Hoos look to bounce back as they head to Blacksburg to take on Tech. This is a disappointment for sure but to put it all into perspective we sat at 4-7 last year at this point. We have some revenge to dish out as we went down to Tech last year in the Commonwealth Cup 17-14 on a last second FG. So look at the bright side 'hoos fans we are going bowling this year and with a win next week will drop Tech to 6-6 I couldn't think of a better way to end the season.

14. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 14
    'Hoos @ Va Tech

26-21
    Tech Steals another one!!

This is not how it was supposed to go? This team was flirting with the chance at a win season sitting at 7-2 with 4 games left they had a chance....then reality set in and the 'Hoos went on a 3 game losing streak and sit at 7-5 with a bowl game before Christmas more than likely. What really hurts is this last game. Tech was without SR QB Logan Thomas, they were sitting at 6-5 and licking their wounds on the recruiting trail as UVA has grabbed a lot of instate talent in the last few years. The Commonwealth Cup slipped out of UVA's hands last year 17-14 and the SR's were ready to avenge that loss. "We wanted this one bad...Tech got some great breaks that fell their way we didn't take advantage of ours." said Coach MC York after the game. Well its back to the drawing board for the Cav's. Coach York is off on the recruiting trail looking for defensive help. They still have the bowl game to look forward too. This year has nor been lost they are above .500 for the 1st time in several years and they return a lot of talent to the team next year. I expect this young team to learn from this loss and be a breakout team next year.

15. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Bowl Week
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

17. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Season 2
    2014 'Hoos Season Outlook
    cav.PNG
    Schedule:

The 'Hoos have one of the nations toughest schedules. On the schedule this year they play 6 preseason top 25 teams. 5 of them in-conference games 3 of those on the road. They start the season off at home against #18 UGA and then travel across the US twice in back to back weeks to play UCLA and BYU (in weeks 2-3). With only 5 home games this year they will have to be very selective on when they choose to invite recruits. "The AD did us no favors with this schedule. But when you are in the ACC you are going to have to play some tough teams and we as a league are getting better." said Coach York during ACC media day this summer.

Offense:
    The Offense returns 8 starters and 14 letterman from last years 8-5 squad. The team took a huge hit this spring as FR AA RB Taquan "Smoke" Mizzell tore his ACL during off season practice and had to be red shirted. "Smoke will be missed, he rushed for over 1000 yards and was a big part of our 2014 plans. KP (SR TB Kevin Parks) and Shep (SR TB Kahlek Shepard) are veterans and they are capable of giving us what we need in the backfield. Then we add bruiser JUCO transfer FB Bryan Lyles and we have the making of a great backfield. Remember we have David back after a very successful SO campaign (RS JR QB Davis Watford) with his experience I think we will be OK." said Coach York. The line will look to replace 2 starters but have 3-4 veterans who should fill those spots. Tim Smith left UVA as the single season leader in receptions and he leaves big shoes to fill. After catching 50 balls himself last year Darrius Jennings looks to be that guy. Moving from the slot to SE will be SR Dominique Terrell and stepping into his old spot will be PR KR EJ Scott. Seeing the field this year at WR in some sets will be veteran SR Miles Gooch and FR Mike Woods. The 'Hoos have two SR TE's that are very capable of making catches over the middle in Jake Mcgee and Zachery Swanson. Watford, god forbid he goes down, is backed up by RS SO Greyson Lambert who showed a lot of promise in the Beef O Bradys Bowl after Watford left with a concussion.
    Defense:
    The D also returns a lot of starters from a year ago. Led by the LB's in All SNB selections Daquan Romero and Henry Coley(both selected as Co Captains) the secondary should not be as shaky as it was last year. The CB's and Safeties are all back with their backups also returning. Look for FR Michael Paul to see the field early. At 6'5" 235 LBs he will see some time at SS and at OLB on passing downs. The DL is about the only question mark on the team as they replace both DT's and one of the 4 rotation DE's from 2013. JR DE Eli Harold returns as the leading sack artist from last years D. With JR Mike Moore and Harold being the only two DL to see the field last year the rest of them will be called on to step up. JR DT David Dean was a beast during the spring game and he will rotate with RS SO Andre Miles-Redmond. In the secondary SR's DreQuan Hoskey and Demetrius Nicholson are back at CB while three SO's back them up all three were on the field a lot during their FR years. At Safety the 'Hoos bring back SR's Brandon Phelps and Anthony Harris. If, and its a big if, the DL settles in and gets pressure on the QB this will be the reason this team either goes 8-5 again or reaches the ACC championship game.
    Special Teams:
    Veterans abound on ST for the Cav's. JR K Ian Frye is back for KO's and FG's as is SR P Alec Vozenelik. Doing the Returning,both kick and punt will be EJ Scott. Scott will replace CB Demetrius Nicholson who is to important to the secondary to risk an injury.
    Outlook:
    This team will go as far as their QB takes them. Watford is very talented and with the D in place to compete with the Big Boys of the ACC I look to him to shoulder the load on the offensive side of the ball. All signs point to the 1st part of the ACC schedule (Vs NC State, @ Syracuse, @ Louisville) all preseason ranked teams. If they can get through that stretch with at least 2 wins a trip to Charlotte could be within their reach. Coach York has his work cut out for himself. Wahoo on brothers Wahoo on!!!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  18. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 1
    UGA @ UVA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And Just like that the boys of fall are back on campus and "The Good Old Song"can be heard all over Charlottesville. That's right UVA kicked off the 2014 season with a bang hosting the Pre-Season #18 Georgia Bulldogs. The Dawgs came into the game with a talented backfield of Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall at RB but a big question mark in the inexperienced QB Hutson Mason. Well the 'Hoos D introduced Mason to smash mouth football. The DL was in his face for most of the day sacking the Dawg's QB 5 times. The secondary did their best intercepting the RS SR QB 3 times. "Our D stepped it up today. We were all over the field. I am really proud of these guys. They stopped one of the most potent backfields in the nation two potential 1st round picks to a total of 39 yards rushing. This team is on the verge of something special. I just know it." said an excited Coach York after the game. York who took over the UVA job last year and lead a very young team to an 8-5 record seems to be righting the ship that Mike London failed to do with most of his recruits. On offense the new look backfield of SR HB Kevin Parks and JUCO JR newcomer Bryan Lyles combined for 138 yards on 31 carries and a score. RS JR QB David Watford had his troubles on the day throwing 3 INT's but he is getting used to his new receiving corps and RB's, after losing SR Tim Smith (the all time single season pass catcher) and TB Taquan "Smoke" Mizzell to a season ending ACL tear in the spring game. He completed 21 of 31 passes and 2 scores. UVA host's UCLA next week and then they jump into the ACC schedule. Next week we will look at the roster and recruiting needs for the upcoming season.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 2
    'Hoos Vs UCLA

ucla1.PNG
    ucla2.PNG
    A game for the ages happened last night. The newly ranked #20 Virginia Cavaliers (1-0) met Pac 12 stalwart UCLA Bruins (0-1) in a neutral site venue to settle once and for all which is the 2nd best conference in the land. To be truthful this game was about UCLA not executing than it was about UVA winning. UCLA out-gained the 'Hoos on the day, TOP was on UCLA's side as was score going into the second half. Besides the score board the biggest thing Virginia won on the day was the TO battle. UCLA RS JR QB Brett Hundley threw three picks in the game. All were at cruicial times but none more damaging as the one in OT. With the Bruins sitting at the 30 and 3-15 in the 1st OT period Hundley lofted a pass over the UVA LB corps to a wide open WR over the middle for a 22 yard gain. The Bruins sideline was pumped they would have 3 shots from within the 10 yard line to get into the endzone. On the other side of the field the UVA bench looked dejected even Head Coach MC York who was seen kicking the ground and throwing his head set! "We called the the perfect D for 3rd and long. Play a soft zone keep the ball in front of you and make the tackle. Let them kick a FG and see if we can punch the ball in for the win. Well LB Henry Coley let the UCLA WR get behind him and Hundley made a sick throw just over his outstretched arms. I was just turning around to rally the offense when Mike made his pick." said coach York after the game. And what a pick it was. On 1st and goal from the 7 Hundley dropped back and again the 'Hoos D dropped into a shallow zone the UCLA receiver appeared to be open for a second until FR SS Michael Paul dropped off his assignment and jumped the route to haul in the Hundley pass. The UVA offense took the field and after 3 hand offs to RB Kevin Parks kicked the winning FG from inside the 10. Leading the Cav's on offense was JR QB David Watford who completed 14 of 24 passes for 281 yards and 2 TD's. On D the Wahoo's were lead by SO DT Andre Miles-Redmond who had 5 tackles and 3 sacks. For UCLA Brett Hundley went 17-24 with 2 TD's while rushing for 39 yards on 12 carries. Take out his being sacked 4 times and he had over 50 yards on the ground. RB Jordan James had 92 yards on the ground and 1 score. "UCLA has nothing to hang their heads about today. They competed and pushed us to the brink. A couple of breaks and Coach Cgreen214 is at this podium talking about PAC 12 dominance. But you play 4 Qtr's and in our case 4 plus OT and once again the 'Hoos can ring the ACC bell as one of the toughest conferences in the land. My team stepped up today and I look forward to a tough ACC slate to bring out the best in us. I tip my hat to UCLA and wish them luck the rest of the way." said Coach York. UVA travels to Provo next week before starting conference play.

20. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Week 3
    UVA @ BYU

byu2.PNG
    byu1.PNG
    Some say that UVA is unworthy of their #18 Ranking in the AP. Well after back to back trips away from the confines of home to take on two very good football teams in UCLA and this week BYU in Provo the 'Hoos seemed to silence the critics and the Cougar faithful in a 42-7 beat down in all facets of the game. UVA had two RB's rush for over 100 yards in SR TB Kevin Parks (107 yards on 14 carries) and FB/TB JR new comer Bryan "slash" Lyles (105 yards on 16 att). Lyles joined the Cav's this year out of the JUCO ranks and the 6'2" 226 pounder has hit the ground running tallying over 200 yards of offense through the 1st three games. "Slash is a beast, he hits like a LB but runs like a WR." said SR Co Captain LB Henry Coley who along with SR LB Daquan Romero had 2 sacks each on the day. "He is full go all the time, with his blocks, playing xbox hell even playing chess he is a monster." Lyles is the starter at FB but Coach MC York uses him as a TB in several sets in the UVA playbook. "I like to mix it up with KP and Slash. Both can hit the hole and be gone but Bryan just looks for contact he want to run you over. I have to reign him in in practice as the LB's who are very prideful themselves get after each other talking about who's tougher. The Oklahoma drill has bruised a lot of egos this fall." The 'Hoos D played really well today, Coley and Romero who had 5 tackles each but the star on D for the second week in a row is SO DT Andre Miles-Redmond who had 4 tackles 4 sacks a Fumble recovery and a TD. WR Darius Jennings had 6 catches for 75 yards and 3 scores. Next week Virginia welcomes #20 NC State to Charlottesville in their 1st ACC tilt of the year.