Thought for Next Season

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Parrothead, Jan 23, 2010.

1. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Thought for Next Season

I'm sure this will draw some fire from you, but here it goes, anyway.

Facts:
    It's been stated that we won't be adding users to get to 12 teams and will be sticking with 10 guys. Right now, 2 teams are in year 2 at their new school and 4 are in year 1. Of the other 4 schools, I know at least two can move on. Not sure on the other two. The 6 coaches at new schools are in 4 different conferences. If we all move on to the BCS conferences and spread evenly, we'll have 2 conferences of 3 and 2 conferences of 2. With the 4 user game requirement, scheduling will definitely be nightmarish to say the least. Outside of user games, most CPU games seem to be won by users in nearly every single game.

Proposal:
    Since we're all new at our schools or soon to be new, my thought is for all 10 guys to move on to the ACC, and not allow Miami or Florida State to be taken. That puts 5 users on each side of the conference and keeps any of us from taking the recruiting dreamland that is Florida. It also makes for a nice chunk of user games, making things a bit more interesting. Recruiting would also get a lot more interesting, too. In terms of how to select if we went this route, I think maybe we go by user vs. user record, starting with the worst. Just checked that, and the order would be:

1. Castortroy
    2. MCYork
    3. Shrike
    4. Riptides
    5. Jman
    6. Parrothead
    7. Max
    8. Murk
    9. Ravedown
    10. 1ke

Of course, that's all before any remaining user vs. user games are played. All the available teams are pretty much even across the board in terms of rating, whether we go from the end of this season or start fresh with the original rosters. If we went this route, I'd say continue the dynasty as some teams are now good that weren't before, and vice versa. The only true exception is Duke, which is rated as a C after I simmed through the season. If you took Duke, though, you'd get some of the intangible recruiting benefits like academics being off the chart. Plus, you could talk as much as smack as you wanted if you beat anyone because, hell, you were Duke! (On a side note, I might consider taking them myself, since I actually work there)

I also think that by switching it up and bringing us all back together in 1 conference versus the 6 we're in right now would put some more energy back into the league and get more interaction going.

Thoughts? Opinions? Disagreements? Flame away.

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Shrike is in his 3rd season I believe..

I don't really like the idea. I want to be Purdue. I've already put a ton of resources into them, it'd be stupid to leave, I would've never left CMU if this were the case. Also, I don't think Jman is wanting to leave.

I think there will be plenty of energy come the bowl weeks, trust. There will be a ton of top 10 teams.

Honest opinion, I don't like the idea because I want to stay with my team in the Big 10 that I already have put 5 5star guys into, and have them set up for the next few years.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Id rather just add 2 more people than leave schools now.. I want to stay at Tech! I have to get this QB!

4. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

If Jman doesn't leave, we're guaranteed to have at least 5 conferences next season. All half the league will have to do is win one game (the user game in conference), and they've pretty much guaranteed themselves the conference title.

In terms of bowl week, I'm guessing we have 3 user games tops. The Rose Bowl (Murk vs. Parrothead/Castortroy) is pretty much a lock, but the other BCS games could go in a number of directions. And what happens after the bowl games are over? We go back to the 5 conferences mentioned above, and the energy level drops back to where I perceive it to be right now. Non-conference user games bring up some energy, but there's simply not enough of them with the way we're spread. Trying to schedule non-conference user games for everyone so that we all have 4 is going to be extremely tough to do with weeks that are locked for folks. You'll more than likely end up with teams that only have a couple user games. One example (not picking on anyone here) is Auburn. They played me to start the season, then their other user game is against a team where the user quit, so he's free to run the table and be a 1 loss team that could potentially steal a spot in the championship.

I get that you want to stay where you've started to build. I've started the same way myself. But if we're going to make any kind of change, it almost seems like this is the opportune time to do it. Only you and I are in our second years at BCS schools. It will only become harder to do as the seasons go on, as everyone will have something they're going to say they've been building.

Just my opinion that adding everyone to one league will move the energy back to where it was when we were in just two conferences. Almost every week would have the energy that I believe you're saying the bowl weeks will have, and it would mean that much more to have won the conference.

I may be the only one that thinks it'd be fun to get into one league and up the user games and make them more meaningful than they are going to be this season and going forward. It's pretty much guaranteed that either Castortroy or I are in a BCS game, and the sam can be said for Max and York. For Murk and Riptides, it's about 99.9% sure that they're both in a BCS gamne this season with no other users in their conference. The way it's being set up by us spreading out pretty much means you've got a 1 in 2 shot at making a BCS bowl.

Anyway, this post is starting to ramble a bit. Just thought I'd share my thoughts and an idea that I had.

5. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Problem for the 2 new guys is they'll be stuck in the non-BCS conferences for 3 seasons, and the rest of us would be leaps and bounds ahead of them by that point...

6. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I really don't think the energy is low, and I know I wouldn't be able to connect with everyone in the OD anyhow so I wouldn't be able to do one conference.

We should just stick to 3 conferences then.

The first argument was "so, I have to go somewhere someone else goes, that's not fair. I want my own team."

That's why we're so spread out, and that's why I offered the idea of switching your schools conference which was pretty much shot down.

7. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Shrike will be able to leave after this season, and if BG wins CotY (which isn't a stretch) then he can leave too.

8. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I'm saying users #11 and #12.

9. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Not saying it's low, just saying it's definitely much lower than the seasons where we were all in the MAC and CUSA. And which users can you not connect to? I thought you had pretty much fixed that (and that Riptides helped by fixing his junk. haha).

And if you stick to 3 conferences now, who gets the short end of the stick? In other words, who would get the boot from their team and be forced to move? Would it be Riptides because he's the only one in the SEC right now? If he were forced to move, that negates his choice from the end of last season and he would have been able to pick before both York and castortroy, correct? If the Big 12 is the conference that gets eliminated, then the same thing happens to Max (since he had pick #1 last season). The Big 10 only has one squad, but you're in your second year. Pac-10 has me in their second year and another user, so that conference shouldn't go, either. I don't think we could move to 3 from 4.

I think the big thing with not letting a school move conferences is that a team like Southern Miss (not picking on 1ke here, just using an example) is a 6 star squad. If you put them in the SEC, they get to keep their squad AND get the benefit of the upgraded conference. All of us who chose new schools had to drop our squad ratings to get the upgraded conference.

Like I said before, it was just a thought that I was interested in hearing everyone's opinion about.

10. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I know I can't connect to Ravedown and York..

I for sure can connect to Max, Parrothead, 1ke, Rip, Troy, Shrike, Jman

Yeah, I guess if the league wanted to move to 2 or just 3 conferences someone would get kinda screwed, but it's the decision of the league. I understand the idea of putting more people in one conference, but I don't think there is anyway everyone would want to join just one big conference.

I wanted everyone to be in conferences together, but not take away their ability to pick whoever they wanted.

Also remember that you can change schools again...soooo

11. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I don't want to move again...I really wish I would have stayed at ECU but definitely don't want to switch again....

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

We are definately staying with 10 users.

13. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Fuck that. And its not even because I don't want to leave but if I do leave I want to choose where, and it ain't the friggin' ACC. Besides, if I were to stay and be a lone guy in C-USA I'd play at least 3 and likely all four of my OOC's as user-user games so though I'd make it to the conference championship there's no way in hell I'll ever win every user game to get to the Natty.

Another option is for Murk to take it offline at the end of the season and see if there were any conference change offers, now, some won't like that but I shouldn't have to leave Tulsa if I don't want...that wasn't in the original plans and I'm pretty sure Murk won't make me do that. Big schools just are not much fun to me.

One think that boggles me though is the perception of no energy. Yes, its getting later in the lifespan of this version of NCAA but the group we have meshes well enough that it won't stop. The pause is IMO what slowed us down (and my fault but immensely appreciated) but we've all stayed active (I do not count Nati because IMO he lost interest months ago).

Sorry to "flame" but 'cmon, seriously?

14. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

agreed for the most part.

I don't think any energy was lost. We should have more people in fewer conferences, that'll be something we'll take into more consideration for 2011.

I know Purdue will probably not be my last stop, so when I get the chance I will probably move to another conference with more users. However, I'm pretty sure Ike will meet up in the Big 10, and who knows if Shrike or Rave will too.

15. BDSDIGITAL

I couldn't agree with Jman more.

Great post.

16. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

My $.02
    I feel that Parrot is correct in saying that it has lost some of its energy. Not in activity but in the fact that there are so few user games week in and week out. We used to have a showdown every week that held the league race in its balance, shit was talked it was what made this group so good and it was fun(although I talked a lot of shit my user record should tell me to shut the F up). I know Murk worked real hard putting this schedule together and it will only get tougher if we split even more. This is what I purpose:
    After this season:
    Let Jman stay as long as he wants. He must schedule 3-4 OOC user games a year.
    He will win his conference but like he said it would be tough to make the MNC without winning all of his user games.

Ike if he chooses to stay would have the same rules as Jman, If he decided to leave (what would be easiest for the league) he would have a choice of Big 10, Pac 10 SEC or Big 12 teams that he would qualify for.

Let Shrike and Rave leave after this year. They would have the leftovers from where ever Ike went to. Here is the kicker for them leaving early they have to choose teams that are in a conference that evens the league out. That means if Ike chooses a team outside the SEC one of them would have to choose an SEC team.(the price for leaving early) This would give us an even balance.

so break down would look like this
    SEC 2-3 teams
    Big 10 2-3 teams
    Pac 10 2-3 teams
    Big 12 2-3 teams
    CUSA 1-2 teams

17. BDSDIGITAL

I want to make a few points:

1. The energy does seem a little low, but I think that has more to do with prolonged pauses between advances. The same thing happens in C2C from time to time. However, we should have waited for the users that were gone, they have a right to live their life, and play their games when they can....

2. I think it's wack to mandate anyone moving to a new team, like moving everyone into one conference. The most important thing here is to have fun and if Jman is having fun at Tulsa let him stay, if I want to go back to ECU I should be able to, and if Parrothead isn't having fun then he should do something else. I also think that Shrike and Ravedown should be able to move on whenever they want. I know we had rules set up for changing schools, but they weren't founding members like the rest of us and have served their time in purgatory and should be able to move, like now to a team they want to be. I'm not trying to talk for them, but I know that Ravedown would leave right this second if he could, and I can't imagine that the shrike reserves much love for Kent St.

3. I do appreciate where the parrothead is coming from. He thinks the energy is low and maybe it is and he is trying to pump some life into things and that's cool, so don't take what I wrote above the wrong way.

18. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

Nah, I didn't take anything the wrong way. I'm on the back end of my 30's, and if TALKING about a football video game is going to ruin me, I need to check myself. haha. I wasn't saying that I wasn't having fun. I am. It's like York said in that there isn't that big user game nearly every week to bolster things and fire the league up. There are definitely still big user games. I'm just wanting there to be more, I guess. The scheduling thing is the problem part of it, though. Weeks are locked due to conference play, so that limits things, and people drop out of the league for whatever reason from time to time. That combination gives Riptides a pretty solid shot at a run to the MNC this season, since his only user game remaining is now a CPU game, and he only had one other to begin with which was in week 1. He may be too far back to make it, but he's got the best shot of all the teams outside of Hattiesburg, IMO.

Anyway, my whole thought was really aimed at getting more user games in, as I think more user games=more competition=more trash talk=a better league (not saying this league is bad, because it's not. I just think that anything in life CAN be made better).

19. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

sounds like sour grapes Parrot.... Sounds like you can't take Rip being in the MNC.....thats how i see it. lol Check yo self fool!!!

20. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

That's exactly what it is. ;) I was just using RIp as the example since he only has one user game what with Nati dropping out mid-season, and that user game was week 1. If you want a shot at the MNC with one loss, it's best to lose early! (y)

21. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Thinking about it... If we keep the user count low in each conference it will allow for some great OOC user matchups and/or conference vs. conference seasons. For example, one year Arizona and UCLA could have both Tech and Colorado on their sched. Could do the same thing with the Big10/SEC. Then we could switch it up and have the pac10 go head-up with the SEC next season.. That might allow for some friendly competition/bragging rights etc.

With users in a lot of BCS conferences it should allow for a lot of user BCS bowls which would be cool. Also, your conference will hinge on one or two user games at a maximum, whereas the National Championship will hinge on multiple OOC user games and the user conference game(s).

I think it will get very interesting when we are all at BCS schools... all with nice little programs looking at the NC.

22. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

agreed...I was planning on that..

I agree with all the above

That's what I'm thinking..

You guys realize with only 10 users now, instead of 12...scheduling will be a lot easier and everyone will have more games. Scheduling will be A LOT easier.

23. The Shrike

The Shrike Colonel Thrillz

Hey now! The Kent boys are like sons to me, and I am like their strange, mustachioed mother, or something. I like Parrot's proposal to all move to one conference. However, it looks like the group sentiment is against it. Also, it would slow things down to have all those user games, probably (plus games between users that can't connect would be have to be simmed). So, I vote for a low number of conferences. I understand that some people feel strongly about playing with a particular team, and Murk can take that into account as he sees fit. I personally don't care too much where I end up, so that gives you some flexibility, Murk. I would like to point out that I have earned my release from the MAC, should I choose to go, so I won't be paying any additional prices for that, thank you very much.

24. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Technically you haven't shrike by the letter of the law you must spend 4 years at your institution and you will have spent 3 years and 363 days at Kent State soooooo looks like one more year in the MAC for you my mustachioed friend!!!(y)

25. RaveDown

RaveDown Get Worked

Love the idea of moving to one conference since I live and die for user games. I hate having to play more CPU games then user games, actually I hate playing CPU games period. But I understand that for most people four user games in the regular season is enough.

It would be great if I could get a pardon from BG. I'd be fine with taking the shittiest team in whatever conference you want me to be in.