Thoughts about using Dexter McCluster at WR

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by rushers24, Jan 25, 2012.

1. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

McCluster is used as a RB and a WR for the Chiefs in real life. Some sites have him listed as a RB, some say WR. Some say both. He has WR numbers. 84 catch, 70 route running, 81 spectacular catch.

I know the rules about playing RB at WR. But I wanted to see what everyone had to say. I wouldnt be starting him but I would like to sub him in on certain plays and maybe play him as a 4th or 5th WR.

2. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

In real life he plays both but I don't make the rules.

3. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Love the Gladiator pic. All time favorite.

He does play both and his receiving numbers represent that. He's a unique player and I want to be able to utilize him like they do.

4. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I don't see a problem with this either. The most broken player in the entire game though is Brad Smith. He is listed as a QB. The last time that guy REALLY played QB was in college. Can't put him in at WR, and you can't put him in at KR. Completely defeats the purpose of having him.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

I dont have a problem with that as that is a role that he really does have in the Chiefs Offense but I dont make the rules either.

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If you know the rules then why is this even a question? Unless you're saying you want to use him differently than as a 4th or 5th WR.

The rule is:

7. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Im saying I would like to play him as a 4th WR on the depth chart, not just sub him in. And on certain plays, sub him in as a 3rd WR. This is going against what the rules say. But for all the reasons I have listed above, I think I should be allowed to do this.

I guess I am asking for special permission, since he is listed as a RB when in reality he is both. I would like to hear what everyone else has to say.

8. Keller

Its a slippery slope IMO - so my vote is no. However, I also would like to see what everyone else has to say. This would be like telling BBJ that he can play DWare at DE - just because he's DWare. I told him no and he has bitched about it since - this is kinda the same thing.

9. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Why do I feel like you're going to put try mode on this year and roll on everyone in the West? Haha

10. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

It's kind of similar to that, but its also alot different. Ware was brought up a LB, and he only plays DE on occasion. But he does move around alot. The thing with that is you can take any LB and put him on the line and his rating skyrockets. So it's kind of cheesy I guess.

McCluster started as a WR, and then morphed into both.

On ESPN, they have McCluster listed as a WR! http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13207/dexter-mccluster
    Some places have him listed as a RB/WR

Ware is never listed as a DE.

We try to make things realistic as possible, thats why we play in a sim league. And what I am asking is 100% realistic.

11. AzureEffect

AzureEffect Walk On

OR Rush...

You could just use a playbook that utilizes a HB at WR. Then when you want to use him as such..Go to 'formations" and sub him in for those particular set of plays.

12. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

I've got one for you....how about utilizing my bruising HB (Anthony Dixon) as a FB on short-yardage situations (such as goal line, 4th & 1, etc.)??? Maybe we put in stipulations for what HB's you can put in the FB slot based on speed, trucking, etc?? I'm not looking to take advantage of the FB dive with a 99 speed HB, which is why I'm guessing the rule was put into place...

13. Keller

I don't disagree with you that its realistic. My point is, thats a slippery slope. People will start finding more HBs to sub in at WR and cause problems.

14. Keller

Annnnnd this is where things start to head when we talk about making exceptions.

There's nothing wrong with Jsimms bringing this up - but this is really my point.

15. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

All you have to do is set up size and attribute limitations. Check my league description thread in GMFL. All the exceptions answer themselves.

16. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

I agree this will open alot of problems if this is allowed

17. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Theres been a million discussions on this topic over the years. It always ends in a no. Very rarely do you ever see this happen in the NFL. And when it does happen, it's a one time thing. With McCluster he plays both positions regualrly every game. So they really do not compare.

Like I said, he is a unique player. As far as I know he is the only RB in the game that also plays WR pretty much 50/50. So he's in a class of his own, and he just happens to be on my team. Thats why im asking special permission.

If Madden was realistic, they would have him listed as a RB/WR.

18. NDCOLTS1979

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  19. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

There are no other HB's that play WR. McCluster is the only one, so I don't see how it will cause any problems.

ESPN has im listed as a WR. And thats because he is one. In fantasy football he's listed as both and can be played as both.

20. XLenceofXQtion

XLenceofXQtion Walk On

Speaking of McCluster and the HB/WR hybrid.... same question came up in my league this week because I have the same HB/4th-5th WR rule... There is a rookie HB in this draft we just had Named:

Wes Hess 5'11"
    96acc
    96spd
    84cth
    77rte
    81cit
    86spc
    75rls
    87jmp

Ok pretty damn decent WR ratings for a HB... Dude tells me specifically drafted him in the 2nd round to play WR and wants to play him at #2 so he didnt waste his draft pick on this guy because he wont be playing HB... I thought it was pretty shitty to back me into a corner like that bringing it up after the fact you drafted him etc., know ing the rules... but I digress...

Here is my issue: when i call a defensive formation/play i look at the offensive personnel, and when I see 2WR I call a certain formation to expect possible run... on the same token when I see 1WR.... guess what my mind thinks? Heavy run formation... so it stinks because I come on the field and see a 3 WR set passing formation and I am in a run defense! Or I thought heavy run formation with 1 WR and its a Twins or I formation with HB out wide as WR. And thats what is irritating to me, more so than anything else.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  21. XLenceofXQtion

XLenceofXQtion Walk On

I think if you put him at #4 or #5 on the depth chart its fine... then he comes in those situations and I see 3WRs and I can be better preapared with my defensive playcall...

22. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

This is a great point. In Madden there are many formations where the TE does play the 3rd receiver automatically. So thats allowed but we can use the auto sub TE to put him out there in a 3 WR set? I don't even think that has been enforced, and if it has I think it needs to be changed. ASAP. A TE is a receiver. He should be able to play wherever, because realistically, good TE's in the NFL today play more as a WR then staying back to block.

23. NDCOLTS1979

24. NDCOLTS1979

@PFF_MikeClayMike Clay
    Dexter McCluster lined up in the backfield on 83% of his snaps this past season. #Chiefs

25. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

I 100% agree with you. I didn't think about it like that. So, I retract my statement of saying I would play him as a 3rd WR in certain sets.

So, what I am asking now is if I can play McCluster as a 4th WR.