Thoughts on '13

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Mar 31, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

Just wanna hear what you guys think about the next release. I guess we're going to start getting info on Monday. Post here if you wanna make suggestions about how we should go about things next year. I have some ideas, but I'm going to organize them and post later.

2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

If coaching carousel is going to stay in the game, I'd really like it if we went that route here.

Start low, and have to work our way to the top.

• Like Like x 1
  3. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

I like it...does Washington State count as starting low? or are you thinking about starting in like the FCS or something?

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

I think we should start at 2 star school or lower and no BCS teams to start.

5. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I am game for that, but I also like just being a big school..... whatever the masses want I am fine with

6. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Doesn't matter to me, as long as we are in a relatively even field.

For example, I'd have no problem with Coug snaking Wazzu again.

7. I'm good with whatever the majority is. Maybe 3 star max for choice of school?

8. The Dude

OK, I'm off for the next three days, so I'll be around a bit more. I have some ideas that I will present in the next few days.

9. The Dude

OK, here's kind of how I see things:

As the year goes on, we get bored. This year was bad, mostly because of all the EA garbage and glitches. However, even when things run smooth, we still get laggy late. I'm not really worried about it - I just don't want to lose anyone when there's a new release coming very soon.

I think many of us get bored because of two things. We either: 1. Take on multiple leagues and burn out, or 2. We never change,so we end up in the same bowl games every year, recruiting the same kids every year, etc. Here's what I would like to do:
    1. Start small, like really small. I want the Kraft Mac n' Cheese Bowl to be a big deal when I get there, and I don't want to only play at a school that will only play in big bowl games every year. Basically, I want to start where a beginning coach might start, and progress as a real coach might.
    2. Higher difficulty - I like to win, but I don't want to be winning national titles with my Ohio Bobcats, if you know what I mean. 8-4 is sometimes a really good season.
    3. Tough recruiting - I think we ought to crank it up so that, even when we go big, we value a good three star recruit.
    4. No other leagues - I'm not asking anyone to do this, but I'm going to. I am going to play only the team I choose. I won't even play an offline dynasty. Aside from practice mode, I will only have one thing going on.
    5. Fast pace to start, with a slower pace built in later on. That way, we accommodate the folks who get gung ho at the beginning (like me) without burning them out mid-year.
    I plan to focus on the creation of a realistic coaching career. No more D- prestige guys taking the reigns at Notre Dame, if you know what I mean. I think it will make it a lot more fun to progress toward our dream jobs if we do it this way. We'll have to make tough decisions, watch as schools pass us over, and struggle to develop our players to the point that leaving them will actually be difficult.
    Anyway, I haven't seen the new info on '13, but this is kind of what I was thinking for next year.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I'm down with all of the above except 4 (which isn't required right?) and 5 because of my busier personal life (which I know most of you have as well). As long as #4 isn't a requirement, neither of these items are show stoppers.

I think #1-3 should be the backbone of Sim Nation circa 2013 release and would love it.

11. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

I agree with BigSmooth33, no other leagues would be tough for me. Also, with 5, i am ok with that, just that in the fall I also coach football so it just makes my free time a little shorter. I am good with starting small and working our way up. My goal will still be to work my way up to coaching at Wazzu!

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Dude

#4 is not a requirement in any way, shape, or form. It's simply what I am going to do. I won't play in the Rose Bowl until I earn it from the ground up, and if I make it, I will play in that game for the first time in the dynasty. But that's just me. I think itlll make it more fun.

13. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Sweet... Sounds like we've got a hell of a plan then.

14. The Dude

Just an FYI for you guys -

Things have been crazy busy at my new job, but I'm starting to get the hang of things, so I should be a little more active in the coming weeks. We're all kind of burned out at this point, which is normal for this time of year, but I think we should be able to finish strong and keep things fun until the next release comes out.

Let's keep the comments coming as to how we want to play next year, especially as the new content gets announced and new features become public. I should be back to leading by example very soon, though Monday through Thursday is going to be pretty busy for some time to come, it appears.

Thanks everyone.

15. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

I'm right there with you...I just started a couple classes, so a lot of my time has been devoted to that recently.

16. The Dude

I've been thinking about rolling with my alma mater, the OU Bobcats. Thing is, they were the MAC champs, and they may begin the game with a rating a bit too high for how I want to start. I think I'll have to wait for rosters before I make a decision, but if EA includes OUs black unis, I think I may have my team.

I've also been considering the ULL Ragin' Cajuns, and maybe a service academy if the Flex has a few more options in it this year. What I'm really hoping for is either s shotgun or a pistol running game that's worth a poop, so I can try to run Urban's style.

Any of you guys settling on squads/styles early?

17. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

No problem... I'd go with Coach Hoke's alma mater or Eastern Michigan.

18. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

I have a graduate degree from Troy so I'm leaning towards the Trojans, but I'm not 100% yet. I may roll with a CUSA or MAC squad.

19. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

will prob look to roll with a California team maybe SDSU or San Jose St...

20. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I am not 100% sure. I know that I want a team with at least 1 good pipeline state..... Thinking Miami (OH), UTEP, or Marshall

21. Goose

Goose Walk On

Gotta run with my Golden Flashes from Kent State. I graduated there a couple of years ago and drive right through the campus on my way home from work every night.

22. bdub

bdub Walk On

Most likely going to go with the Utah State Aggies

23. I would have to look at the team ratings when they come out but I have a few Texas teams that I could possibly go with (UTEP, SMU, Houston, Rice) that would fit the same prestige as the other teams you guys are looking at.

24. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Rice would be fun with little Sam Mcguffie

25. The Dude

I think playing a bad team with one good player (like OU's Tyler Tettleton) might be fun. Curious to see how they rate the rest of the team. Looks like a lot of holes and unknowns.