Thoughts on Free Agency

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I know some of you expressed disdain last free agency period with how I do things and running the silent auction. Would you guys prefer a different system?

In other leagues, I've seen a system where owners create a thread on a guy and bid. If no one else tops that bid for 24hrs, the guy is awarded to that team. All interested parties go back and forth, publicly, in that thread until no one bids for 24hrs.

Its a much more transparent system obviously, and there are some advantages and disadvantages. What do you guys think?

Also, are you guys for some more CPU FA's coming out?

2. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I liked how last seasons went... However, I am probably not a good one to hear from as I most likely will have minimal participation in next years free agency... I basically have my team set for next year as well.

3. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

I like method of creating a thread for each player. Like you said it adds some transparency and plus it opens up the floor for some trash talking [​IMG]. Maybe one or two more CPU players....I think it's cool what you did this year by picking the guys that were holdouts in the real NFL.

4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

This I would probably do some Jets players (Cromartie maybe, Braylon Edwards or Santonio Holmes) and possibly another guy or two. We'll see.

Thats 1 vote for a new system, 1 vote for the old system.

5. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

I'd vote for the individual threads, maybe a sub forum.

It wouldn't be that big of difference though, so if it's more work and a lot of it... I change my vote to the easier way.

I also liked the couple/few extra big names in free agency. Making them realistic was a pretty good idea too.

6. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I like the silent one as it doesn't alert others to who you are going after until after the fact. Seems more strategic that way

7. antcap24

antcap24 Walk On

I really enjoyed the way we did it this year...

I was excited every morning to check the update on how the bidding went...

The suspense kept me interested all week.

8. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Love the way we do it now, would not mind individual threads at all. as for JMustangs comment, during FA the players agents are basically broadcasting every team their guy has visits scheduled with to pressure that team and the teams behind them. this might well be a fun twist.

I also support a repeat of the CPU FA's that was good edea and it cost some cashola to ge them.

9. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

oh sure, but this system isnt as in depth as a real free agency period heh.

10. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I definitely agree I loved waking up seeing the results of FA tho most of the time I was logging in at work via cell phone to look at em. But the trash talking like the X Player has a visit scheduled for Houston this week or whatever I do like that aspect also.

As for the CPU part, I definitely thought it was a better aspect having CPU guys in it, also I loved the CPU trade that happened and would like to see that happen again.

11. JoHud

JoHud Walk On

I just didn't understand why you didn't do it by letting people bid freely on players, then place like a 12 hour period where if no counter is made he is signed. This is actually very similar to what you do now, except way less work for you. Plus it would probably up the traffic during free agency with people constantly checking back.

12. stryder24

stryder24 Walk On

if we make it more public it will probably get more overpaid FAs... which is usually the case in the real NFL anyways. I'm honestly good either way and definitely like CPU FAs, however, CPUs don't get to make their own bids for FAs, so is essence we are slowly "stripping them", hence the reasons the trading with CPU teams is damn near impossible (see pats/dolphins trade for details)

I'm really just playing devil advocate's here because I like the idea of CPU FAs.

13. XLenceofXQtion

XLenceofXQtion Walk On

I like the individual threads option...I do that in my league, and I have found doing 8hour expirations instead of 24hour is much more efficient.

14. XLenceofXQtion

XLenceofXQtion Walk On

Why 8 hours....Now it opens up an aspect of laziness. If you don't check up on your bid or you sleep on it, whoops.

15. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Only problem I have with that is all different time zones, we have guys on the West Coast where it could be 9 there time, midnight here and for those of us that work like 10-12 hour days we don't always get the chance to look at the site until we get home from work so 8 hours is kinda quick to me. Plus those of us that do need sleep for work related or family related reasons we can't just say "Oh well I will sacrifice sleep this week because of free agency" could be very problematic. That's my only issue about 8 hours, as I for one cannot sacrifice sleep as my job is very demanding in the sense of I have to be on my game from minute one to the end of the day or someone namely myself or a co-worker or a patient at my work could get severely injured or worse. So that is a large breaking point for me.

16. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

As long as we have a good crop of free agents I really dont care what method we use.

17. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

I like the method we used last time. I think the FA period could possibly be shortened though, that way we don't have to wait 5 or 6 days after the draft to start the season.

18. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Says the Dude who's lowest rated starter is a 98. :)

19. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

I liked the way we did it last time. It was cool to see the bids the following day, especially the bidding wars some of you got into. It was in my opinion a well controlled FA.

20. NateDawg

NateDawg GT- MIZ Nighthawk

^^^Agreed