Thoughts on sliders....

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by OMlawdog, Aug 25, 2010.

1. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

Thoughts on sliders....

Last night's game against Arkansas was by far one of the easier games I have played so far in this year's game, and some of it was simply poor decisions by the CPU, but some of it was simply that it was too easy to run and pretty easy to pass.

I have a decent running game, but last night it was simply too good. I think we need to adjust the CPU run defense by at least +5 maybe even +10. This affects me more than most since my team is run heavy, but I could have named the score last night against an Arkansas team that should have been at least decent.

As for passing, it seems the deep ball is still too easy. I hit two deep passes, and it seems that users are completing them at a pretty decent rate I would suggest upping interception and pass defense for the CPU.

We have reached the point in the game where users know what plays work and what plays don't, and the result is the CPU is getting their ass handed to them. Luckily the CPU is still recruiting like gangbusters, but for now I think we need to adjust the sliders I have listed above.

Thoughts from everyone?

2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

I'm 1-5... things that are too easy for you are impossible for me.

3. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Agreed. Its starting to look like NCAA 09 & 10 all over again. I believe half of us are already ranked & its only year 2. I want the CPU to be just as hard as playing a user, if not harder. I can't beat the CPU on these slider already, but that just comes from the dumb mistakes I make.

4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i think my WR's have 30+ drops already this season.. if it wasn't for that stat, i might have won an additional 1 or 2 games, which is probably where i should be..

5. OMlawdog

I certainly am not trying to make the game impossible. When I played Bama I should have lost by 14 points. THey simply refused to run the ball consistently and their QB held on to the ball longer than any CPU QB I have played, Im not sure sliders fix that. If they had run the ball 35 times, I lose that game by easily 14 points.

So far the biggest weakness for the CPU is running backs getting to the corner, and at times the passing game is too easy. I think I completed 70% of my passes yesterday, which is just ridiculous for Raymond Cotton, I probably had 3 drops total out of about 20 passes.

I think part of the problem right now is that the sophmores and juniors that were overrated in the first year are pretty damn good this year and will be really good next year which means we should expect more of the same next year. Once the players that were on the game to begin with graduate, i think the talent level of users should drop since most freshman Users were signing were around 72 or lower.

I think the CPU offense is plenty tough, they simply make poor decisions sometimes. The CPU defense just needs to be adjusted in my opinion. The league as a whole is scoring too many points. Just my thoughts, if everyone disagrees I certainly am willing to discuss further.

6. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    The WR catching slider was bumped for this week. You will probably notice a drastic difference since the slider logic isn't anywhere close to linear...

I'm all for upping the CPU everything, but it likely won't do much. I think some people have found what works best (options while defense is in man, slot streaks, screens, etc) and use them a lot. It's happening across all the leagues. I probably only run about 5 plays twice in the same game. I really enjoy opening up the playbook. I'm slowly learning to do so on defense. It's hard to trust my shitty players to do their assignment correctly.

Anyway, perhaps I should start developing some sliders on Heisman. It will never be balanced because of the talent disparity and unbalanced conferences. I warned everyone about this before we started but I definitely learned my lesson this time...

7. jkhaalis991

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

8. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I really wish their was a slider for CPU aggressiveness. Because they can be really soft on offense and a bit too aggressive on defense, which ends in big plays for user teams. There definitely isn't a slider that affects playcalling. It's always been a problem that I thought could have been fixed by this 120 ways to win. Combined with the fact that they didn't install any recruiting logic that would allow CPU teams to recruit to a system, some CPU teams should get a lot worse in the next few years.

My QB is an 82 OVR SO(RS) and complets around 50% of his passes. I feel that's about right. That's the whole catch with sliders. Sliders that I develop privately that give me perfect, realistic results are too easy for 50% of this league...

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I said it before and I'll say it again, heisman is the only way to go. The cpu logic is just too retarded and AA can't overcome that. Plus, I think heisman makes user vs user games a lot better since the CPU controlled players play a lot stronger.

I've been getting emails for all the scores and I was thinking the same things OM is. We are all winning games we shouldn't be. OM beat Bama, maybe since Bama should be rebuilding this year. But there were definitely some other ones that stood out that shouldn't of turned out the way they did, not to pick on Dru, but this one comes to mind. MSU beating USF 49-0, really? USF probably recruits the same level MSU does and has. This game shouldn't of looked like MSU vs FCS West.

I think the tuning packages have made the game easier. For instance, I can recall the demo playing harder than this (I think I always played on Heisman though in preperation for you guys).

I'm really not a fan of changing the sliders too drastically from default because then it jacks the game up more IMO. HB's and WR's are already running through multiple tackles ever play which is frustrating enough.

I will say that I've struggled the past 2-3 weeks offensively, but this week against OU on the road we played a lot better for whatever reason.

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I will never play on default sliders. It doesn't jack the game up if you know what you are doing. I would not play these games if I was stuck with how it plays out of the box.

No effing way.

11. OMlawdog

I think the tuning packages make it very difficult to adjust sliders. The game simply changes by the day.

Option plays have become less successful, they have changed the logic on the option and made QB a bit slower (which they needed to do), but I think they adjusted the pass defense and made it easier. I struggled mightily to pass at the beginning of the season, now Im able to pass it pretty damn well.

THe good thing is that I don't think the game is broke by any stretch of the imagination. I still think this year's game plays great and is a lot of fun. I think if they simply make running the ball a little harder and the deep ball a little less easy we could really have a fantastic game.

They fixed the recruiting. Without question they fixed that. I don't think the gameplay needs to be overhauled just minor tweaks.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Agreed. I'm not complaining about the game. The more and more I play these games, the more and more I want FULL slider control.

13. GoGators

I was reading an article about this where an EA Madden developer got questioned about making a "sim" video game. The jist of it was that it's difficult for the developers to marry "sim" with fun and playable. He used a flight simulator as an example and said in real life, in order to fire a missle on a fighter jet you have to go through 20 steps. This isn't replicatable in a video game cause it would lose its fun. He compared it to Madden in that having a 3 ypc grind it out running game would probably lose its fun as well. I could see completion % falling into this category as well. To the general gamer, incomplete passes probably aren't fun, but to us sim guys, they are a necessity to the game.

I think one of the biggest issues is the field is way too small. It's way too easy to get 10 yards due to the size and speed of the players and the ease of the down field passing game ruins things. Unless you get sacked, it's almost impossible to not get a 1st down throwing the ball. I'd really like to see them lengthen the field (still 100 yds obviously) and make it harder to move the chains.

A great example of this in in the experience dynasty during the offseason I was looking through team stats. All 12 users were 1-12 in the least amount of 3rd downs on the season and it wasn't even close. The closest computer team had 30+ more third downs than any of the users.

14. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I just find it funny that the guy who has yet to lose a game pointed out one of my games as a problem. The usf game was an aberration and my other CPU games have been tight contests for the most part.

I have thoughts on this but promised I'd stop complaining about sliders so I'll abide by whatever the group wants to do.

15. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

After I played you this season, I don't know how you are not winning more games. You play a solid game.

16. GoGators

Geez, don't get your panties in a bunch dude. I explicitly stated I wasn't meaning to pick on you directly, your game was the only one I recalled the score from. Also, if you fully read the post, it does state that "we've all won games we shouldn't have".

17. theSANDMAN215

How many tuning packages have the sent out? I thought we only had one?

18. jkhaalis991

If your refering to "I can't run the ball" thread, no one said you were complaining, we gave you some tips on how to run the ball better & you did better running the ball. No one in this league will ever be against a good debate about making The Duece better so say what you want to say.

Thanx Sanders. I make alot of dumb ass mistakes in CPU games & user games. always been my M.O. lol.

I'm ready to move to heisman with adjusted sliders. I been ready since NCAA 10. With CPU recruiting great now(not perfect, but 10x better than last year)I think if we move to heisman we can get a real college game experience where 1 mistake can cost you the game.

19. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I think three.

20. theSANDMAN215

oh, I can't find them anywhere online to see what they addressed. You have a link?

21. OMlawdog

Lets not turn this into finger pointing match about who is sim and who isn't. Lets just talk about how to make this game better. So lets leave individual attacks on scores and games aside, unless its just shit talking and I have no problem with that.

Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem with the CPU's offense, its the defense that needs adjusting.

Im going to look at stats and talk to Drifter and obviously any changes will be discussed on here.

22. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    That has only been one tuning package AFAIK.

I'd be interested to see how the sliders in The Experience would go over in The Deuce. We are using much better teams and the computer put two losses on users in week 1 of season 2.

23. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Experience

Sliders
    Offense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 30 30
    Pass Block 50 60
    WR Catching 50 50
    RB Ability 50 50
    Run Blocking 25 80
    Defense HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    Pass Coverage 45 60
    Pass Rush 60 55
    Interceptions 15 30
    Rush Defense 25 70
    Tackling 40 50
    Special Teams HUM CPU[/U][/B]
    FG Power 5 20
    FG Accuracy 35 55
    P Power 5 45
    P Accuracy 35 75
    Kickoff Power 25 45

The Duece
    Sliders
    Offense Human CPU[/U][/B]
    QB Accuracy 35 60
    Pass Block 50 45
    WR Catching 40 50
    RB Ability 50 55
    Run Blocking 45 60
    Pass Coverage 40 65
    Pass Rush 50 55
    Interceptions 25 35
    Rush Defense 50 65
    Tackling 45 50
    FG Power 50 50
    FG Accuracy 40 65
    P Power 45 50
    P Accuracy 50 50
    Kickoff Power 45 50

24. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I've played some test games with the RMG sliders in the locker room. I really thought they played pretty well and in the couple of games I played with relatively even teams they resulted in pretty realistic, competitive games.

Just food for thought.

25. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    We took a step in the direction of the experience sliders last week with the minor adjustements we did make.

I'm a bit worried about how the experience sliders will play with lesser teams. I think if you turn down tackling that low (I had it lower during testing) the lesser teams won't make a single tackle.

I don't see how you guys play with those special team sliders. I was meaning to mention that our Kick power needs to come down 5 (if not 10) and our punt power might be suspect as well, but probably okay. My kicker has 89 pwr and 88 kac and he can barely make a 46 yarder with a slight wind assistance and the meter maxed out... Special teams sliders have always been sort of corky, though.

I am however for the following changes:
    user QB ACC - 5
    CPU QB ACC - 10
    user run blocking - 5
    User Pass Def - 5
    User Rush def - 5