Thoughts on the league? Ways to improve?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by theSANDMAN215, Mar 24, 2009.

1. theSANDMAN215

theSANDMAN215 Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI

Thoughts on the league? Ways to improve?

What do you guys think about the league? What are some ways we could improve it overall?

I'm not talking about The Tradition Football overall, but just this one league, TT IV.

thanks.

2. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I like the league overall. I've bought into the concept of lower-mid-major teams.

However, there seems to be a huge discrepancy between those players that are really good on the sticks and those who are only okay on them.

The stick jockeys are able to win every game, sometimes over teams that should destroy them (SMU shocks Oklahoma!) time and time again. In my brain, it destroys what could be awesome about a league of this type - struggling to remain relevant, once every couple of years being a BCS buster. So my occasional win over a better team is no big deal.

Not much that can be done, really. I know the Trad leagues are of a "if you don't like it, get better at it" mindset. But have these kind of teams go 12-0 versus BCS opponents kind of takes away the point of not running big programs.

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    That is not our modo at all. I agree that the teams just aren't competing. We have a hard time adjusting the sliders because people start complaining when they can't run or pass on good teams.

I'm all for making the CPU tougher. There isn't a big enough difference between my team and a stacked Texas team.

4. theSANDMAN215

I agree. I'm all for making the CPU tougher. However, I try to make everyone happy with the sliders. They were debated for a while and we finally came to a medium for everyone.

5. Razcalking1978

I guess it might be over-assumption on my part. I assume that people are using user-catch and various other tricks to get past these huge teams. If not, I'd love to know what kind of game plans can get Southern Miss over Mizzouri.

6. theSANDMAN215

Some people I'm sure use user catch. I rarely use it, especially in online games b/c of the slight lag. I know one key is to not try and go deep too many times a game. The DBs no matter if they are rated 50 or 90 can jump 100 feet to deflect anything.

7. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I rarely go deep. With the slider set, the cpu takes even more horrible pursuit angles than normal. Not to mention they are a bit slow to react and make pitiful attempts to tackle.

8. Razcalking1978

So you'd use a speed back and run the toss?

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    huh?

I think those that have played me can vouch for the fact that I play very realistic ball. I am a former player and a student of the game. The last thing I do is try and exploit the CPU AI. Meaning that I typically do not run the same play more than once and never more than twice a game.

I had a 98 spd HB in TTII during the first few seasons and I definitely could have just ran tosses the entire season and won all of my CPU games. But that is no fun to me.

I like finding more clever ways to the endzone.

I think the Tradition leagues as a whole have really make strides to make the game more realistic through recruiting limitations, position change restrictions, and straight gameplay. However, we are always open to suggestions (hence this thread).

10. Razcalking1978

Well, the idea of no-user catch has come up before in various places, but the usual reply was "learn to user-defend". The thing is, it's not the user games where user-catch is the problem. It's the people that use it to destroy the CPU every time, especially in leagues like this where straight gameplay is hard to suceed with.

Let me give you an example - we were running a simlilar league with the C-USA, WAC and MWC down in the OFFL. The top 2 Heisman canidates? The QB and WR from Tulsa. TULSA. He played straight against other users. But you know that he was running user-catch bombs against the CPU over and over. So it kills the purpose of running with lower-tier teams if some are going to destroy everyone anyways.

Nothing that can be done. You can't watch user-CPU games to see what's going on, so there's not much point in making rules that can't be enforced. And making sliders harder won't stop this either, because it's flawed AI.

11. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I see what you are saying, now.

I think that just goes back to the coach. Doing things like this are impossible to monitor. All you can do is discourage it. I'm not sure how some people can enjoy playing cheap against the CPU. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

But this is a problem for any league. Not just this one. Unless you are suggesting that someone here does this. All you can do is have coaches under oath of the rules and raise questions when you see something that doesn't quite fit.

12. Razcalking1978

Yeah, you're absolutely right, it's a problem in all leagues. It's just more noticeable for me here because I expect our teams to get beat now and then. If Oklahoma runs the table and wins the Heisman, that's one thing. If Army does the same thing, it kills the appeal of a lower-tier league for me.

I know it's not always user-catch and AI tricks, some people just have better stick skills than others. But when every underdog wins, it makes underdog wins mean nothing for me.

http://www.traditionfootball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546

I guess I would advocate a return to harder settings if I thought it would make all of the teams worse. But I think it would only punish those who don't have crazy stick skills, and the others would still take Ball State to the national championship.

I think maybe I just suck, lol.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I've played you and you're not terrible. So that's not it.

I think it is just bringing in guys to the league who are going to play straight.

There are going to be people with better stick skills. It's just part of the league. I think harder sliders will turn the close CPU losses around, though.

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I don't think you can even worry about making the cpu better. It's sucks but we can't reprogram the game. This is why we schedule three to four user games to even things out. No matter what sliders you use the cpu will still only call six to eight plays on offense (one of which seems to always be the option where the qb keeps the ball for a loss). I think sliders should make cpu games a challenge without shutting down the game and taking away the fun factor. I recently lost a game against the cpu in Tradition 5 because I walked in thinking victory. Afterwards I found my 3rd string quarterback had a better arm and it opened my offense, much better now. Anyways, sliders to the exteme don't make the game better they make it worse. There will never be a perfect sports game, but what happens on this site makes it a lot better.

15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I don't think we are talking drastic slider changes.

More like tweaks to help stop the onslaught our teams are dealing out. I just put up 61 on Tulsa today. Only one big play, really. They couldn't stop the run and short pass. It needs to be fixed.

16. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

what I'm saying is sliders won't fix this. The cpu will always play robotic and predictable. The only way sliders will help is if you give the cpu an overwhelming advantage, which I believe will make the game more frustrating than fun. I would like to fix this as much as anyone but I realize after numerous experiements it won't happen. This is why I play O.D.'s where I can play users 3-4 times a season and feel challenged. We may need to just accept that the cpu sucks and focus on making the user games and interaction what the league is all about.

17. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I will agree and disagree. I agree that we can't fix it, but there are slider enhancements that we can do to make the CPU more realistic without having their DBs fly 20 yards in the air to snag a pick from your QB.

The sliders we have are too dumbed down. They need a slight boost without going overboard and creating unrealistic, robotic CPU drives.

18. Razcalking1978

What you say makes sense. It happens in every league regardless of sliders, so there's likely not much we can do other that try to get the best group of guys we can and have fun with it.

That being said, it still takes away the point of a lower-tier dynasty for me. If we're all going to win all the time anyways, I'd like to do it with a team I can watch on Saturdays on regular cable.

19. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

yeah but what slider is it that make the cpu db fly 20 yards in the air for the intereption?
    oh and Razcal I agree I tend to move towards teams I use to see on TV (I work on weekends for a few years now.) I joined this league because I read through all the first season posts and it seemed like this league was well run with good users who "keep it real". Over half a year after release this is all you can hope to get.

20. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    lol, pfft. I have a 8 ft dish on my roof. I get the high school 6 man games in high def.

That would be the interception and awareness sliders...

21. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

I know we want to make the cpu tougher but unfortunatly the only thing that the cpu does to be tough is the ridiculous int's. Also my dumb through into double coverage because I think that a wr will be open.

PS Razcal I didn't want to clog Mizzou's blog in OFFL so I sent you a question via PM.

22. Razcalking1978

Heh, I live in Canada. I'm lucky if I ever even see Big East game let alone C-USA.

23. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Razcal you ever play NHL 09?

24. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    If we exported good games to you fellas up north, we would have to tax the crap out of you.

I'm sorry, this is the American way.

25. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Soon enough the politicians will find a way to pose an export tax on TV bandwith.