Thoughts on the NCAA 2012 Demo?

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I downloaded it before leaving for work this morning but won't get to try it out until the kids are in bed tonight.

If you've tried it, please post your thoughts - especially if you see anything that might impact rules or settings.

2. Dru50

Here are some things I noticed playing the demo tonight:
    • As advertised, zone defense is much improved, and I think playing defense on 3rd and long will actually be possible this year.
    • The new collision system makes running a bit tricky, since there are times you'd expect your OL to suck in a DL for the block, and it doesn't always happen. I liked the feel of the running game though.
    • Running from shotgun was doable, and I plan on experimenting more with it over the next few days. I didn't really try much read option, since I've never been good at it anyway.
    • I saw and experienced several bad QB throws when trying to throw off the move or off the back foot, which was very nice to see.
    • The graphics are a bit cleaner, but overall I didn't notice that much of a difference from last year in presentation or graphics.
    • Alabama and Oregon seem like very tough teams. Texas was a disaster offensively, especially at QB. FSU was not very good defensively, especially on the front 4, as Bama's OL routinely shoved them off the ball (both when I was using FSU and when I used Bama vs FSU).

3. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I played a half this morning as Oregon, and here is what I observed: the movement of the running back seems different, when the defensive player hits the back, you really observe how the collision affects the back and his momentum/balance.

I tried one read option play and gave it to the back and it was stuffed. I don't know what would have happened if I kept the ball, but the play felt a lot like this year's game.

As for passing, I scored on a post route from the slot, maybe the guy is really fast, and Texas's D isn't very good :confused:, but I threw a pick on a route that I constantly run this year. My receiver ran a 10 yard in route, and as he made the break I threw the ball, and the defender actually made a play on the ball instead of standing behind the receiver and watching him catch the pass.

4. Dru50

Passing is going to be very different in this years game. I was able to thread a couple passes in between zone defenders last night, but also got picked on about 4 passes that would have definitely been completed in 2011. Also, the defenders do a much better job this year in shading towards receivers that are in more of a position to threaten the defense (within the 10-20 yard range), but trying to take advantage over the top wasn't a guaranteed completion. I tried about 5 deep throws - 2 were picked, one was completed when the defender made a bad break on the ball (which was kind of cool to see) and the other 2 were either badly underthrown or overthrown.

One thing I mentioned to some of the guys in chat last night that disappointed me is that the CPU psychic playcalling (where the CPU knows if you are passing or running and calls a defense accordingly) is still in the game. In one game I was up 7-0 in the 4th with the ball, 1st and 10 from the 40 yard line with under 50 seconds to play. I called a 2 TE play-action pass, and the CPU came out in a nickel defense. When I played with Oregon, every time I called a shotgun running play, the CPU came out in a base defense, but when I had passing plays called they matched their defense to the personnel.

5. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I think Gators mentioned the psychic playcalling in the Experience Thread as well. That really upsets him.

6. Dru50

For guys who want to run a spread option offense, the psychic playcalling pretty much is the biggest problem with the game, since you can't spread the CPU defense out and open up lanes to run in.

7. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Anyone else not a fan of all kickoffs/punts being caught on the run this year? A lot of users would make their guys do it, but now it seems like that is the new way to field the kick...

8. Dru50

I hadn't even noticed that. I'll take a look at it tonight.

I did notice that penalties on kickoff returns may be more prevalent (I got called for holding on 2 different returns last night), which would be a good thing, since penalties happen all the time on returns.

9. Jayrah

Jayrah AllCougdUp.com Editor - A.M. avatar Guru

My thoughts after 5 games. 2 as FSU, 1 as Alabama, and 2 as Oregon (all on AA).

+ Cpu running game is highly improved. 3 50+ yd TD runs on me (2 of which were by Richardson) on which the line did a very good job and then the back just made some REALLY SWEET moves and out-sprinted GREAT PURSUIT angles to score.

+ Could NOT pitch the ball late. Simply couldn't do it. Once the contact was made it was over.

+ Actually I like the KO and Punt returns. Some don't think the coverage is good enough, but actually I think it's really well done.
    I am a fan.

+ Making a move is really rewarding and fluid.

+ Cpu Zone = AWESOME. Still stuff open, but if you don't hit it when it's there you'll get picked or sacked.

There are a couple minuses and some other stuff which I will get to later, but overall very impressed. SO READY FOR JULY 12.

10. Jayrah

- cpu qbs need better awareness when they leave the pocket.

- 4 user sacks on screen plays.

- much as I like the coverage on ko, there is not enough lane integrity when the returner starts one way and cuts back, which leads to bad contain. B
    Mnd. Gfggdfjggfddcxxf. Ggddtjknfdcv. Dufdgcgdsxhc

+ I'm throwing picks like they're going out of style. All good cpu coverage, no cheaps.

11. Dru50

Agreed - but it seems to be better with better QB's. Oregon and Bama's QB's seem more effective than the qb for Texas, who is like a deer in headlights.

Sacks in general seem too easy on both sides. I've seen alot of instances where the o-lineman get's beat and makes no attempt to recover and at least redirect the d-lineman a little. I'm hoping they correct this via tuning prior to launch.

Awesome point! :D

Passing against the zone is definitely tougher.

12. Jayrah

I guess I'm specifically thinking of screen plays, where the qb sees nothing, and then avoids the oncoming rush, gets outside the pocket and even to the LOS, and then he stops with 20 yds of grass in front of him to wait for the screen to "finish" developing I guess. It happened against UO, UT and UA.
    Girlfriend got a hold of my phone while I was writing the post and put that stuff on my post. :p