Tie-breaker Playoffs -- My 2-cents.....

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dub-ya, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

Perhaps I'm biased, having just wasted 72 holes to lose on the 1st playoff hole (I am and I don't think I'd be fooling anyone if I stated otherwise), but maybe we could look at two sets of playoff rules. For regular tournaments I can swallow a sudden death playoff much more than I could in a Major. To me, after playing a Major and then losing on the first playoff hole would simply seem like a lottery and significantly reduces the "Major atmosphere" I think a Major tournament deserves. After all, these are supposed to be the 4 (unofficially 5) most coveted tournaments of the year. Could the Major tournaments -- err, should, the Major tournament tie-breaker playoffs be a 9 or 18 hole playoff?

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Basis and I should have had a little bit more communication on this, I thought it should have been a 9 hole playoff and the Majors should be a 18

3. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I agree. I think there is a lot of not knowing, time wasting and perhaps loss of "feel" (not sure if thats the right word).

A play-off is head to head, and well, a sudden death playoff across consoles is anything but that. However, a 9 or 18 hole play-off is. Perhaps with set weather conditions as well to make it fairer. I think its better if each guy tee's off knowing he has 9 or 18 holes to post a score. As opposed to wondering the whole way through his round whether he has lost or won... its kind of an odd situation. lol

4. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

what is it in real life?

5. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Depends what tournament.
    Some are 1 hole sudden death.. British open is 3 hole play-off. US Open is 36 hole play-off.

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

36 holy balls, if somebody ties they play 36 holes??

7. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

No, I originally thought and posted in another thread that it was an18 hole playoff. Somebody corrected me and said it was 36, double checked, it his in fact only an 18 hole playoff. Lol. I was right to start with.... Now to track down who wrongly corrected me. Lol

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

If tied, the US Open will be an 18 hole playoff. How about we somewhat mimic real life and announce what that weeks tiebreaker format will be in the tee times thread? Noles and I will coordinate it for each tourney.

Last weeks, I just made a decision. I was away and without a pc (posted from phone as I am now), but I also stand by it.

Fair points by all, BTW.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Also, it would be a lot easier/cooler if both guys were/are on the same platform so that they could just play it together. That was another kink to react to.

10. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I think if two guys tie at -45 for a tournament they should just congratulate each other on being the greatest TW players of all time and go on about their business.....or something :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

I like the idea of an 18 hole playoff for the majors. :) 9 for regular. Good to have you back sir. Hope you had a good weekend away and are ready for a big week at Pebble Beach.

12. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

i'm your guy :D. You already got me though haha.