Tiger Bait Season 3

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by hornfaninbama, Jan 18, 2010.

1. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Tiger Bait Season 3

Current LSU Commitments

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    Name Position Caliber Position Rank
    Patrick Washington Quarterback :5stars: #1
    Kelvin Butler Tackle :5stars: #1
    Jermaine Wilson Strong Safety :5stars: #1
    Lance Tate Running Back :4stars: #12
    Josh Ellis Outside LB :4stars: #2
    Michael Mills Quarterback :4stars: #4
    Tom Landry Athlete :4stars: #6
    Maurice Price Center :4stars: #4
    Jason Parker Quarterback :4stars: #10
    Zach Smith Cornerback :3stars: #56

2. hornfaninbama

LSU adds to Recruiting Haul

:5stars: Tackle Chooses Tigers

Baton Rouge, LA- The #1 ranked tackle in high school football has chosen to join Coach Bulgy in Baton Rouge. Kelvin Butler from Springdale, AR called Coach Bulgy and told him he was a Tiger on Sunday night.

Butler is a 6’7†282 pound tackle with great run blocking, He carries a B+ rating in run block, strength, and run block strength. And B- grades in impact blocking, pass block footwork, and a B grade in pass block strength.

Butler joined a class with 2 other commitments, #4 ranked :4stars: QB Michael Mills from San Antonio, TX. And :4stars: RB Lance Tate from Friendswood, TX. Mills is a great pocket passer with a B- in arm strength and a B+ in accuracy. Tate is a speed back who looks to make a huge play every time he gets the ball, he has an A grade in speed.

3. hornfaninbama

LSU Snags another

:5stars: QB Picks LSU

North Creek, WA- The #1 Quarterback in the country has chosen to take his talents a long way away to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to play for the LSU Tigers. Patrick Washington a 5’11 190 pound star will join the Bayou Bengals in January as an early enrollee at LSU. He says, “I wanted a place where I would be prepared to move on to the next level and I feel LSU is the best place for me in that regard.”

Washington is a very good pocket passer despite his lack of height, he brings an arm with B grades in throwing power and accuracy. He is the second QB LSU has signed this season, and the second 5 star prospect to give a verbal to the Tigers. He had a great time on his visit last week to Baton Rouge and decided over the weekend to give his pledge to Coach Bulgy and his staff.

LSU currently has the #3 ranked class according to Rivals.com and look to have an impressive haul again this season. Washington joins Lance Tate, Kelvin Butler, and Michael Mills in the LSU class. LSU currently has verbals from 2 of the top 4 QB’s in the nation. LSU is the favorite to sign everyone left on their target list except for :5stars: RB T.J. Barnett. LSU sits #2 on his list behind Oklahoma, and Barnett is scheduled to visit Norman this weekend.

4. hornfaninbama

LSU Signs Athlete

Tom Landry Signs With Tigers

Baton Rouge, LA- Tom Landry has decided to play his college football in Baton Rouge for Coach Bulgy and the LSU Tigers. Landry is an athlete in every sense of the word. Coach Bulgy says he isn't sure where Landry will play, but he will be a great player for the Tigers.

"He doesn't do anything great but he does a lot of things well, and on top of that he's got pretty good speed. We will evaluate his status this offseason and decide where he can maximize his potential."

Landry gives the Tigers their 5th committment of the season, but only their second non QB. LSU has signed 3 of the top 10 QB's in this class, but have struggled getting commitments elsewhere. Coach Bulgy is sure that will change soon.

5. hornfaninbama

LSU Signs 3 More

:5stars: SS Signs With Tigers

Baton Rouge, LA- Coach Bulgy announced the oral commitments of 3 more players this week, headlined by the #9 overall recruit and #1 SS Jermaine Wilson from Cooper City, FL. He was joined by :4stars: #2 OLB Josh Ellis from Altadena, CA, and :3stars: CB Zach Smith from King, NC.

Jermaine Wilson will come in with B grades in speed, tackle, and zone coverage. He also brings a B+ in hitting power, jumping, and acceleration. Wilson has the potential to a player who contributes in his first year with the graduation of SR SS Stefoin Francois.

Josh Ellis is the #2 OLB prospect in the country, though at this point Ellis is more of a project player than anything. He has decent speed and decent tackle ratings at B-, but that’s about all that he does well at this point in his career.

Zach Smith is a :3stars: corner who is a little undersized at 5’9†165, but he brings some impressive skills to the table. Smith has B+ speed, and a B in man coverage and acceleration. He will most likely redshirt before being given an opportunity to play.

Those 3 players are the latest in what is proving to be a very nice class for the LSU Tigers. The Tigers are currently #2 in the recruiting rankings trailing only Ohio State. They have 10 overall commitments: 3 :5stars: players and 5 :4stars: players and Zach Smith is the lone :3stars: player.

There is only one player left on the Tigers recruiting board, :4stars: Center Maurice Price from Bell, CA. Price has given the Tigers a soft commit this week. Price is scheduled for a visit to Texas A&M this coming weekend.

6. hornfaninbama

In-Depth Analysis of LSU’s 2012 Recruiting Class​

Part One of a Two Part Series Examining the LSU Tigers 2012 Recruiting Class

Baton Rouge, LA- Coach The 2012 class that Coach Bulgy and the rest of his staff have put together is looking really good right now. It has star power with 3 :5stars. It adds an athlete in the backfield, a true athlete, some depth to the offensive line, and even some sleepers.

The class is headlined by 3 players who could lead the program for years to come in :5stars: QB Patrick Washington, :5stars: Tackle Kelvin Butler, and :5stars: SS Jermaine Wilson. All 3 players are ranked as the #1 prospect at their position, and figure to have the opportunity to come in and play right away. They added a speedster to the backfield with the commitment of :4stars: Lance Tate. They added a true athlete in :4stars: #6 ranked Athlete, Tom Landry, and even some depth to the offensive line with :4stars: #4 ranked center Maurice Price. The sleeper role is played by Zach Smith a :3stars: corner from North Carolina.

The first part in this 2 part series will detail the offensive side of the ball.

Patrick Washington

:5stars: (#15) Overall (#1) Quarterback

Patrick Washington, from North Creek, WA, is the #1 ranked QB in the country according to Rivals.com. He has been committed to LSU for several weeks and says his commitment is as solid as ever. “I really liked being at LSU. I knew I wanted to be in the SEC so I could be tested and play some great defenses week in and week out, and when I visited Baton Rouge, I fell in love with the campus and city.â€ÂÂ

The city and campus weren’t the only thing he fell in love with however. “LSU will compete for SEC and national titles every year. There’s a lot to be said for being in those high pressure situations, and how well they prepare you for the NFL.â€ÂÂ

Washington is looking ahead to the NFL and he has the talent to do it, but he needs to grow a little to be the QB every team will be drooling over. Washington stands a solid 5’11…on his high school gameday program.
    He looks to be more about the 5 foot 8 to 10 range. His height is really the only downside to the #15 ranked player in the country he does most everything else well.

Washington chose the Tigers over Tennessee, Florida, and Oklahoma.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13
    Name Position Speed Awareness Throw Power Throw Accuracy Agility Break Tackle Elusiveness Trucking Carrying Stamina Injury
    Patrick Washington Quarterback D+ D- B B D D- D- D- D- B B-

Kelvin Butler

:5stars: (#18) Overall (#1) Tackle

Kelvin Butler is the #1 ranked tackle prospect and #18 ranked player in the country by Rivals.com. Butler is from neighboring Arkansas, though in the typically Razorback dominated northwest corner town of Springdale. Butler is 6’7†282 and projects as a left tackle.

Butler says the reason he came to LSU was to win. “You look at what LSU did to Arkansas last week, why would I want to go to my home state school and lose for 4 years? That didn’t make sense to me, and I knew I wanted to stay close to home, so it really was LSU from the start for me.â€ÂÂ

Butler looks like he might be able to contribute right away on the offensive line, but will likely redshirt because of the depth the Tigers have on the offensive line currently. Sophomore Chris Faulk mans the right tackle spot, the perfect place to wean Butler into college football. All-American Greg Shaw will graduate and leave that spot open, but freshman Charles Frank will most likely take over that position.

Butler chose the Tigers over USC, Notre Dame, and Florida.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13 Column 14
    Name Speed Awareness Pass Block Run Block Impact Blocking Strength Agility Run Block Footwork Run Block Strength Pass Block Footwork Pass Block Strength Stamina Injury
    Kelvin Butler D- C B- B+ B- B+ D C+ B+ B- B C B

Michael Mills

:4stars: (#67) Overall (#4) Quarterback

The second of the three QB’s LSU has signed is Michael Mills. Mills is the #4 ranked signal caller in the country, and is from San Antonio, Texas. He is also a little vertically challenged for a QB, only standing 6’0, but LSU and Saints fans remember a certain 6 foot tall QB who led New Orleans to a Super Bowl win a few years ago.

Mills is a pocket passer in the mold of Chad Pennington. He doesn’t have the strongest arm in the world, or even strong enough to throw all the routes in the chart, but he has great accuracy. “That’s something I have worked on since Jr. High. I know I can’t throw a rope 35-40 yards downfield the way some guys can, so I knew I had to hit all the underneath routes to be successful, and that’s what I have done.â€ÂÂ

The LSU coaches told him they can help his arm strength by getting him in a college weight room, and he believes them. “I know some of what my problem is are mechanics. But I also need to add some weight and strength, and I think getting into a year round weight program will help me.â€ÂÂ

Mills chose the Tigers over Miami and Wisconsin and he will definitely redshirt.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13 Column 14
    Name Position Speed Awareness Throw Power Throw Accuracy Agility Break Tackle Elusiveness Trucking Carrying Stamina Injury
    Michael Mills Quarterback D D- B- B+ D D D D- D- B- B

Jason Parker

:4stars: UNR Overall (#10) QB

The 3rd quarterback LSU signed, Jason Parker, is from Aurora, IL. Parker decided he wanted to come to LSU over UGA and Notre Dame because of the competition.

“I was the last of the three QB’s to sign, I knew who was coming here when I decided to commit. I wanted to come here and fight to earn a spot on the first team. But even if I can’t being around the other QB’s in practice will make me a better player, and help me be the best football player I can be.â€ÂÂ

Parker is the lowest ranked QB LSU signed, but he is the one with the most mobility. And he can throw it pretty well, it just may not go right where he wants it to. Parker’s mobility should help him in the battle between the other young QB’s, but he is definitely not Russell Shepard.

He chose the Tigers over Georgia and Notre Dame. He will likely redshirt.

Jason Parker Quarterback C+ D- B C+ C D D D- D B- B-

Lance Tate
    :4stars: UNR Overall (#12) Running Back

Lance Tate is a speedster running back who looks to get the corner every play. When he does few players can catch him. He is averaging 10.5 yards a carry his Senior year. He already plays in a spread option offense which will help his transition to LSU.

“Ya, you know I already play in a similar offense, and I knew that would help me be able to play sooner. Plus they told me I would be able to do some of the same things. They want to put me in space and let my speed take over games.â€ÂÂ

Trindon Holliday was the last speedster on campus for the Tigers, and Tate looks like he may be able to fill those shoes nicely. He has really great acceleration which should help him on kickoff returns, which is where he is likely to begin his career. Tate chose the Tigers over offers from Oklahoma, and Texas.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13 Column 14 Column 15 Column 16 Column 17 Column 18 Column 19
    Speed Awareness Break Tackle Carrying Trucking Elusiveness Agility BC Vision Strength Catching Stiff Arm Spin Move Juke Move Route Running Impact Blocking Run Block Pass Block Acceleration
    A D- C B C C+ B+ C- D- C- B- C+ B- C- D- D- D- A

Maurice Price

:4stars: UNR Overall (#4) Center

Maurice Price is the latest to commit to the Tigers. He waited to make his decision last week. He looks like he could be a dominant run blocker for the Tigers at the center position. He brings massive size to the position at 6’2 320 pounds, and also some solid fundamentals.

He lacks ideal strength for the position, but will turn into a special player before he is done. “That’s something I heard from all the coaches that came to see me, ‘Get your numbers up,’ and I have been working hard on them. I have added 50 pounds to my bench and 75 to my squat since the summer, and I know those numbers will continue to go up once I get on campus.â€ÂÂ

Price is from Bell, CA, and chose the Tigers offer over Texas A&M, Cal, USC, and Michigan. He may have a chance to earn playing time, but will most likely redshirt.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13
    Speed Awareness Pass Block Run Block Impact Blocking Strength Agility Run Block Footwork Run Block Strength Pass Block Footwork Pass Block Strength Stamina Injury
    D- D- B C+ B+ C+ D- B- B B- B- D+ C+

Tom Landry

:4stars: UNR Overall (#6) Athlete

Tom Landry has a famous name, but he hopes he can be the second person to make it famous. “My dad was a huge Eagles fan, and he bet a friend his first sons naming rights on a playoff game. My dad lost and I became Tom Landry.â€ÂÂ

It is hard to figure out exactly where Landry will fit, but he has enough speed to make an impact whatever side of the ball he ends up on. Landry chose the Tigers over Georgia and Texas, and will likely redshirt while the coaches figure out what to do with him. That however, is usually a good problem to have.

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8 Column 9 Column 10 Column 11 Column 12 Column 13 Column 14 Column 15 Column 16 Column 17 Column 18 Column 19 Column 20 Column 21
    Speed Awareness Agility Strength Stamina Injury Play Recognition Break Tackle Throw Power Hit Power Catching Catch in Traffic Route Running Pass Block Run Block Zone Coverage Man Coverage Block Shedding Tackle Pursuit BC Vision
    B+ D- B+ C- B+ C D C D- C- D D D D D- C- D+ D- D- D- C

There will be a second part to this series examining the defensive recruits the Tigers have signed during conference championship week.