Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 - Understanding Tempo

Discussion in 'Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Golf' started by StormJr, Mar 21, 2012.

1. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

For those struggling with the thought of tempo in the new game...This is from a thread started by HANDSWARD over on the EA boards....

For those of you struggling to understand tempo and having trouble getting perfect tempo, maybe this will help.

First a couple things to make sure you understand:
    - The speed on the stick required for perfect is dependant on the aiming marker. With the aiming marker at its max distance on any club, the speed on the stick required for perfect is its fastest and the same on each club. With the aiming marker at its shortest, the speed of the stick required is its slowest and the smae on each club.
    - The speed required for perfect changes on each difficulty. As difficulty increases, you need to swing faster on long shots and slower on short shots to get perfect.
    - Getting perfect tempo on the expert swing difficulty is next to impossible. It happens about 3% of the time for me. This is as designed. We figure, how often do you actually hit it "perfect" in real life. Not very often. You just have to learn how to play as close to the proper speed as you can to limit how far off your shot is.
    - The feedback meter in the bottom left that tells you your tempo is a dynamic element. Just cause it says you were fast or slow doesn't mean you had a bad shot. The meter fills based on the amount you are off. If you are regularly barely off center with fast or slow then you are getting pretty close to perfect.

This is just an example with some fake numbers but i think it will help make sense of it.

Let's assume that the fastest a person could possibly swing the stick is 100. The slowest possible is 0. (These are not the numbers for perfect tempo, but literally the fastest and slowest a human being could possibly swing the stick.)

Based on those numbers, here is the window for perfect tempo on each difficulty:

Amateur
    Max Aim - Prefect window is 30-80
    Min Aim - It's 20-70
    * The aiming points in between lerp so if I was aimed at half distance my window would be 25-75.

Pro
    Max Aim - 50-80
    Min Aim - 20-50

Tour Pro
    Max Aim - 75-85
    Min Aim - 20-30

Tournament
    Max Aim - 89-90
    Min Aim - 20-21

• Like Like x 2
  2. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    reserved for more help

3. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    reserved for more help

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Good stuff.

5. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

:( I am so lost as to what he is trying to explain here.

Is this an explanation of his % of hitting ball perfectly or an explanation of how much % of swing to use to get a distance ? Sorry to be the dumb kid in class but I am lost here

6. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

He's trying to use numbers (not percentages) to indicate how big or how small the 'perfect' tempo window is. This is all about the speed of the downswing (pushing forward on the stick)

So playing AM at maximum distance of aim, the window is VERY large (30-90). If your tempo is anywhere between those numbers, you'll get a 'perfect'. In order to get a 'perfect' tempo in Tournament mode, you have to hit that very very small window (89-90). If you are outside that window, you'll get a slow or a fast (depending on which side of the window).

As you move the aiming marker, the window will change positions in the scale, but the magnitude of the 'perfect' window will stay the same. Say you are at half max distance, then the Tournament perfect 'window' will be somewhere like 49-50.

Does that make more sense? (I'm trying to figure it out all myself too. ;) )

• Like Like x 1
  7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Sorta , an example of club / distance may help here I think ......

I will re-read while playing demo later after I am done playing a real round , hate when video game stuff gives me a headache lol

8. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

I guess the two things I take from it is to ignore the numbers (because HANDS was just using it for an example) and just have it in my head that the windows for a perfect tempo (speed of downswing) get much smaller on higher difficulties. And the other thing is that as you dial back the distance of the club, the slower the tempo has to be for a perfect swing.

Using a full 9 iron, your tempo will have to be faster to get a 'perfect' than if you are using a 1/2 9 iron.

9. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

A video with explanation would have been helpful for us slow folk ;)

10. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    can't really do a video cause it's all in the sticks.Let me see if this will help.Think about it this way:

The longer your backswing is the faster your tempo (forward push of the stick) needs to be
    The shorter the backswing - the shorter the tempo

So if you are hittng a driver you absolutely need to try and kill the forward push.
    And if you are hitting a 3 ft putt you have to go as slow as you can

11. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

Unless you jam your putts home like me.....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Yeah except the demo is messed up and the greens are running much slower then it should. On real tournament speeds jamming may cause some skipping ;)

13. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

This is my problem right now. I'm so used to jamming on my joystick for putting in TW12 that with short putts on TW13 I CANNOT not overswing. Everytime.

14. FLIGHTWHITE

FLIGHTWHITE Walk On

Appreciate the tip. Had to re-read but it makes perfect sense now. Thanks!!

15. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

I had to make some adjustments that should keep me from lipping and skipping holes. For whatever reason I always seem to overswing on my putts.....I spent quite a bit of time with mulligans on so I could just sit and putt and putt and putt on the demo.....so I just adjusted in another way.....

16. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Walk On

I will make a better illustration later, but this should help...

[​IMG]

The meter in the bottom left is color coded. The left and right sides on the top half refer to tempo, and on the bottom half refer to back swing distance. You can see in this example that the tempo was "Perfect" and the back swing was "Over Swing". The perfect tempo fills up half of the meter on the top half and is green. The over swing is red and fill up over half of the meter, actually about the whole thing.

Using this meter you will see the following information that will help diagnose your swing. On the bottom half the if the meter is blue, it was a under swing... And if it is close to half full, that means it was barely under a perfect amount of back swing. Red and being over half full are the opposite. On a maximum over swing the meter will be full all the way and red.

The meter on the top that shows tempo works the same way, except that if it is full and red, that is the fastest tempo possible. So basically if the meters are close to half full, even if they are a color other than green, you were pretty darn close to perfect. You can see this meter on practice swings and use it to help figure out how far back to pull the stick and how fast to send it back forward... Use trial and error until you get close. More to come later...

Peace

• Like Like x 2