Tips on making money?

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by RFF, Sep 7, 2014.

1. RFF

RFF Walk On

I've had no issues with Texans, but trying out a season or two as the Jags I cannot seem to make any money.

I've tried:

- leaving prices around the Decent/Good value boundary
    - dropping prices to lowest $
    - raising prices to highest $
    - relocation for year 2

I can tread water in year 1 and finish barely in the positive--but not enough to resign any good players and certainly not enough to sign a single impact FA despite having $40-50 mil of cap space.

By year 2, in both the relocation and the non-relocation tries, finances start to spiral downward. Both times I've finished the year $8-10 mil in the red, with a warning that I'll be ousted that time next year. Again, zero impact FAs and lose even more of my own players.

As far as I can tell, W/L makes an enormous impact on revenue. So for a team like the Jags, what I've outlined above is an incredibly vicious cycle, as the more players you can't afford to keep, the more money you lose the next year.

Anyone have any tips? Has anyone had success in CFM financially with a team that wasn't already well set-up?

2. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

CFM owner mode makes it difficult ot make money for some low market teams. IMO, the financial piece of the mode is not implemented properly and unrealistic.

In any case, best way to make money is to go through your roster and cut big salary players that are backups. Start of your pricing low if your team sucks and when you win, trickle them up. Then do not do any stadium upgrades, that will essentially stop you from signing your own free agents let alone go after free agents in the offseason.

So winning helps, but it takes awhile for low market teams as opposed to teams that are good like the pats, broncos, etc.

EA needs to patch the owner mod IMO and not stop teams from signing FAs because of funds. Not sure how much they can change on the financial side like revenue streams, but at least give teams higher starting amounts instead of $7 million which is grossly low.

3. RFF

RFF Walk On

Seems like EA has completely ignored TV revenue, which is probably the NFL's largest revenue stream.

This sounds highly disturbing for online franchises. When playing offline, the solution is to just go to the playoffs every year. You can win the SB and barely make money. But for a H2H league like you see here, as far as I can tell it's going to be impossible to dig out of the hole whatsoever if you are an untalented small market franchise playing other humans (thus can't just rely on out-skilling the CPU to an 11-5 season or better).

This feels like an enormous, game-breaking flaw to me. Progression, etc seems well tuned. You could turn a team around talent-wise, but I just don't see how that can happen with the current state of finances...

4. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Even though they left some revenue streams off, the issue is the ones they did have in the game which is revenue sharing is lower than what teams typically get per year. The game, revenue sharing is under $20 million for the year while in real life, teams get estimated close to $200 million.

It is difficult for small market team even if you win and making the playoffs hurts your financially because the game pays full salary amounts for each playoff game so essentially you are paying more than the contract value. The only way you benefit from playoffs is if you have home field advantage, but if you play road games, it hurts financially because you still pay full salary amounts during the playoffs.

Best way around is to do whatever you can to save, cut cost and win. Even doing that for some teams, you are looking at a lot of years before you get to a point you are comfortable financially.

5. RFF

RFF Walk On

That is completely & utterly depressing.

6. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

This sounds like a pain in the ass, I've just been trying to not think about it and hoping it works out fine...

Doesn't look like that will be the case.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:

So, I played with this a little today. I took the Jaguars (who should be hard to use, financially) and took over their owner. I started with 6M in funds. The above spreadsheet is what happened each week. Note that somewhere I either screwed up, or the game did, because my total at the end of the year was +4 million to what I have in the sheet.

I didn't sign ANY free agents or players on my team just to keep the cash flow simple, until I had to pay rookies the rookie wage scale.

Conclusion: I made 20M in Jacksonville in one year, that's pretty good. We *did* go 7-9 so perhaps that helped?

EDIT: I did the same with the Cowboys, it's on the second tab. Same scenario, and they went 7-9. They ended up with +45M.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  8. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I was going to do a video blog sometime this week.

But a few tips.

1. Keep your payroll around 90M-100M
    2. Make sure to not give too high a bonus, there is a very fine line.
    3. Look for personality. It matters. My boys in Hard Knocks will tell you.
    (SF with 3 top 10 personality players, makes an additional 1.5M a week)
    4. WIN

• Like Like x 2
  9. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    WORKING ON IT. WE have already passed it to them :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    #4 - Luloksure.

11. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. RFF

RFF Walk On

So this sounds not far off from my experience with the Jaguars. You can choose to not sign anyone new and not otherwise spend any cash and (my sims were between 7-9 and 9-7 in year 1, typically) and it seems kind of fine, initially.

How far did you take it? Through the draft? Into the next FA period? Just curious. Because the crucial things (for me, anyway, anytime I did it) started happening at the end of year 1 / start of year 2.

13. RFF

RFF Walk On

Yes. I was able to stay in the black by hovering around a $90mil payroll. I had to be extremely careful about which players I resigned, and signing an impact FA was always out of the question.

Being forced $40-45 mil under the salary cap is not my idea of "making it viable." This isn't MLB where a few rich teams carry huge payrolls and sign all the big money FAs. This is the NFL. To me this is ridiculously unrealistic, which defeats the entire purpose of simulating ownership decisions.

tldr; yes I realize there are ways to stay in the black, but those ways are ridiculous and suck the fun out of owner/GM decision-making.

14. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I understand your concern. I was trying to help you in your situation.

15. RFF

RFF Walk On

Much appreciated--didn't mean to come off snippy toward you. Annoyed at EA. :)

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    To reiterate what BobJr said, we have asked these questions in the proper channels at EA.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    Did you do any stadium upgrades boss?

18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No sir.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RFF

RFF Walk On

Was curious whether you went past your first draft? That's the first of a few dominoes that wrecked my finances as Jax, etc. Season 1 itself was fine.

20. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

After the draft, you are going to pay bonuses for your rookie draft. So usually 1st round picks will get close or all of their contract guaranteed, if not, a big chunk of it will be. So more draft picks, more bonuses you pay out at the rookie signing state. So that is why you go into offseason with money if you managed well, you spend what you can on free agents and take another hit at rookie signing.

21. RFF

RFF Walk On

Right, no I understand why, I was curious if his was factoring in these rookie bonuses and what he was able to do in the offseason in terms of salary.

22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    See the bonus column on the spreadsheet I posted, the rookie bonus money is in there.

23. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

For whatever reason, your sheet doesn't show for me :(

24. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I dont think its published to the web.

25. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    What about now?

• Like Like x 1