Tired of Hearing it

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Tired of Hearing it

Guys,

I'm going to pint a couple of things out. These are just my observations, but in the past, those have turned out to be pretty close to the mark, so I'm going to trust them.

We're getting lit up here and there - and it's our own fault. I'll show you why:

FSU - FAU - Complaint was that the FAU QB went "robo" and was somehow unstoppable. Looking at the stats, this seems possible (24-37, 399 yards). But look at this stat: FSU had 10 sacks. To get 10 sacks, I'm guessing FSU probably called two to three times as many blitzes. That probably makes up a majority of all defensive play calls. Call that many blitzes, and you're going to pay. This is not a robo-qb issue. It's a coaching issue. Make these calls against a quality opponent, and you'll get beat.

WVU-Marshall
    - Same complaint. Marshall QB went 24-32, 363 and 2 TDs. Marshall also gave up 8 QB sacks. Again, the issue is that we're dialing up the blitz on a majority of downs, and the CPU is simply reacting to it. The yards are on us. We're not being cheated. Marshall won because they hit wide open guys, or at least that seems to be how it went.

In my Vandy-LSU game in TDL2, Jordan Jefferson went 10-20 for 207 and 2 TDs, one of which came on an 80 yarder in the last two minutes of the game. LSU had me outgunned at every position. The Northwestern QB went 22-26, 216 yards, again peppering me late. I managed two sacks against NW, and none against LSU, though I did pressure some throws. NW was about even with me all over the field. I blitzed from time to time, but I didn't leave gaping holes in the secondary on every play.

This stuff is getting a little silly. Try tightening things up a bit before making claims about things being unfair. Play whatever style you like, but own the consequences. This ain't TecmoBowl people, and you're players aren't all Lawrence Taylor. I'm pretty sure the results we're getting are a direct result of how we call a game. All this "I had no chance" stuff is beginning to sound a bit whiny. Sorry, but that's how I see it.

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I'm tired of the lack of post-game articles being written. I want shit to read as I wait for advances, man!

Anyway, AG, I usually play as the LE in an attempt to create as much pressure as possible without a blitz. I'm not very good at it, though, so I rely on a variance of coverages and solid red zone defense.

I may start to play with the SS though to limit the cheesy crossing routes and such on 3rd and plenty. Question: Any advice on how to increase user-controlled defenders in open space. I've struggled making 1-on-1 tackles while using my turbo.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I use the auto sprint. I never touch the turbo. Turbo speeds up everybody, by the way, which is why some of you might have trouble running. When you hit the turbo, guys get off blocks faster, close you down faster, and so on. It's strictly for open spaces.

As for tackling, it's all about the read. Get there when the ball does, and you'll make the play. Let the WR turn and face you, and you're going to get shook sometimes. Big hits are cool, but you'll miss a bunch if you try it every time.

I play those crossing routes close, and try to knock the ball away or drop a guy for three instead of eight. I use a safety, so there are times when I get beat over the top, but I can live with that, since I make a lot of tackles, and can really make plays against the run.

Safeties get blocked less. If you're good with the sticks, that's who you want to play. MLB is cool, too, but I find myself having to back too far off not to get sucked into blocks, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a MLB. If you're playing on the D-Line, you're leaving too much in the CPU's hands, if you ask me. The whole plays takes place over your head, and you know for sure you're getting blocked on every play. I'd rather run free and take people's heads off. ;)

4. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

That's the key right there and this is where I am really struggling...I have always used the D line. I like to be as close to the ball and qb/rb as possible. This year's game and these sliders I think make it very tough to play on the d-line.

5. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

6. Goose

Goose Walk On

If I play as a safety I play myself out of position every time. I change to the linebacker and I get blocked every time.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I bite on too many play fakes myself. Stay home in zone coverage. Gamble in man, when you're just playing the deep cover.

And if you play LB, pinching the line can get some of those blocks off of you, though you have to make plays on the outside if you do this.

8. Goose

Goose Walk On

Thanks, maybe we can schedule a non-OD game sometime and you can critique my play to help me out. I always get torched on users games through the air, I almost rarely blitz.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

The varsity settings made it too easy to pass, sicne they revert to default in user games. AA should make the CPU guys tougher, making our jobs a bit easier against other users. I'm guessing scores will come down.

10. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

on the posting write-ups. here's my admission:

i love reading them all. and i love writing them. i despise having to do it in 2 places. my vote? mandatory pics, vids, and writeups on EA (they look better anyways) and mandatory recruiting info on the tradition site. i always go to EA first anyways to view the stories, pics, and vids together.

thoughts?

11. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I don't hate this idea, makes sense actually because I always read the recaps on EA. You got my vote, homo

12. egofailure

1) I love this idea, too, as the EA site is the first thing I check. It's also (as VT stated) the best way to read an article. Having the videos right there to view is cool as well. I always write my articles online via the fan page and cut and paste them for my team thread.

2) As far as recruiting goes, what type of commitment info do you guys enjoy hearing about? I had two quick commits - one a QB - which was pretty significant considering my current roster. He doesn't have the greatest arm, but it's serviceable, and he's fast and agile.

13. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

I will get more consistent about stories and updates. As yesterday was my last day at work, I dont have the computer access now that I had before, but that should not last too long.

14. vatechhokie01

oh...and i signed my 1st 5star. suck it.

15. egofailure

Congrats! Position?

16. vatechhokie01

cornerback. said he wanted to follow in deangelo hall, jimmy williams, macho harris, and brandon flowers, and now jayron hosley's footsteps

17. egofailure

I love me a 5-star CB. Hopefully one of these days ...

Edit: I'm kind of pissed that zero WV - Marshall video footage was posted.