Title games - Who ya got?

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Jan 10, 2011.

?

Who wins - #1 PSU vs #2 FSU

1. PSU

50.0%
  2. FSU

50.0%
  1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

All right - BCS title time, and it's the Penn St Nittany Lions vs the Florida St Seminoles.

Why Penn St will win:
    Because it's all Hokie seems to do lately? But seriously, he hasn't lost a game in nearly over 2 seasons, and most of the user wins have not been close (more on that later). PSU leads the nation in offense and scoring, and is #2 in the nation in defense and turnover margin. They don't have the big time threat at HB that they've had in the past, as they've been unable to land the big time speed recruit there that Hokie covets, but they still have Robert Bolden (averaging like 12 ypc) and their main WR target Alex Kenney is the big play guy, and is by far the favorite target of the PSU QB's with 3 times as many catches and 4 times as many yards as the next guy. People know what's coming when they play Hokie, but for 2 years no one has been able to stop it. Can FSU do it?

Why FSU will win:
    The team that has come the closest to beating PSU the past two season? FSU. Last year, a very young Seminoles team took the Lions into the late 4th quarter in a one score game before eventually falling by 10 points. Pretty much every player of consequence from that FSU team is still here this year, and the speed advantage is not in PSU favor as much as it was last year (but PSU is still the faster team). FSU is in the top 10 on offense and #2 in the nation in scoring, and leads the nation in defense and turnover margin. However, the FSU defense has struggled in it's user games, so they may be a bit of a paper tiger. The FSU offense is led by QB Brenton Newby and HB Andy Frank, and the offense is predicated on a quick passing attack to take advantage of the various WR targets on the team. Will another year of experience make the difference for Newby and Co?

2. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

I have to go with Hokie. He has proven to be unbeatable over the past 2 yrs.

I'm pulling for FSU though just to see someone new at the top.

3. Dru50

Oh, I forgot, you can also pick a winner for the other national title game tonight-I'm taking the ducks by 14.

4. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

Of course I am taking FSU, I picked them at the start of the season. As for the big game tonight, I really hate the Ducks, but of course if Auburn wins the SEC nation will never be kept quiet. I haven't really thought about this game too much, but if Auburn can keep it close I see Cam Newton leading the Tigers to victory in the 4th quarter.

5. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Rooting for Oregon as I too hate hearing about the SEC being God....But I just hope for a close game.

6. Dru50

BTW-this just in, Vegas has PSU as an early 10 point favorite.

7. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

In that case I will take FSU +10......

8. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

I will also go with Hokie. Kinney is too tough matched up with that running game.

9. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I picked Florida State in the upset, though the ACC conference championship scares me a bit. I was really glad FSU won that game otherwise Hokie would have gotten a free pass against undefeated Boise State. I think Dru's team is a lot better than last season when he nearly beat Hokie. Of course Hokie hasn't lost in 2 full seasons so I really should think twice about picking against Penn State.

As for real title game, I'm going with Oregon as well. I think the game will be close and high scoring but I think the Ducks have the better all around team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dru50

This game will really come down to whether FSU can keep the PSU big plays on offense to a minimum. Hokie's team thrives on the big strike, and he seems to have 3-4 50+ yard plays in each user game. That's what killed me in our game last year, and I'm hoping that I learned some lessons from that game that will help me this year. I can't stop the big play, but if I give up more than 1 or 2 of them I'm likely toast.

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Im going with Penn State here. Florida State has been a little inconsistent at times and Hokie has just been on a roll

12. Vandermint

Vandermint Walk On

ACC!

• Like Like x 1
  13. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

I have one question for Hokie, are you worried? I predicted the title game participants, I predicted last night's victor, I have a feeling Happy Valley will not be happy after tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I'm going to call Wazzu before I make my next big gamble :)