TLY 1st Round Review

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by Mogriffjr, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The Draft is one of the most highly anticipated events to happen in the offseason as teams trying to find the next big thing coming from the collegiate ranks. While the draft is a total crapshoot and many players can contribute from the 1st round to the 7th round, the 1st round can usually make or break a team's draft. Here we take a look at the 1st round picks.

1. NY Giants - Lache Seasrtunk HB
    ---The Giants have been rumored to be looking at Jadeveon Clowney here at this spot but as commish Rod Goodell came up the microphone and announced the Giants select...LACHE SEASTRUNK, Giant fans shouted out loud, WHAT THE FUCK!? The Giants seemingly didn't EVEN grab the best RB on the board!! The 5'9", 215lb RB was as shocked as anyone about the pick but he threw on his Giants hat with joy as the NY fans rained down boos upon him. To be fair, Seastrunk isn't a bad player at all but at the combine, he only ran a 4.58 40 yard dash. Otherwise Seastrunk really is a top notch back with great agility and acceleration. Him and David Wilson will be a nice 1-2 combo featuring their shiftiness and quickness but this pick will have the masses questioning the rationale of the new Giants GM.
    ---79OVR, 86SPD, 93AGI, 97ACC, , 84CRY, 72CTH
    GRADE- D (I get it I get it/Drakevoice, but not as the #1 pick!)

2. GB Packers - Jadeveon Clowney DE
    ---The Packers are a shock to be this far up the draft but when Seastrunk was picked, the Packers couldn't turn down the man beast. Line him up opposite Clay Matthews and the Packers have one of the most feared pass rushing duos in all of NFL.
    ---85OVR, 79SPD, 88STR, 88FMV, 89BSH, 88HPW
    GRADE- A

3. KC Chiefs - Marquise Lee WR
    ---The Chiefs felt like they lacked another WR to go alongside Dwayne Bowe so they picked up one of the top WR's in the draft in Marquise Lee. Lee gives the Chiefs another go to option on the outside and keeps teams from doubling Bowe. Lee is a solid prospect who graded out having the best hands coming out of this WR groups and should prosper on a run-first type team.
    ---78OVR, 89SPD, 92CTH, 87RTE
    GRADE- B+

4. Atlanta Falcons - Taylor Lewan LT
    ---The Falcons were looking to move on from Sam Baker as their LT as he's getting up there in age and clearly, the Falcons wanted to protect Matt Ryan's blindside and give him time to throw to his big time WR corps but better yet, Lewan is a major upgrade in the run game, where he uses his 6'8" frame and power to mow down opposing defensive linemen. Lewan was the sure-fire #1 Tackle in this draft and the Falcons hit a home run here.
    ---89OVR, 85PBK, 88RBK, 92IBL, 86STR
    GRADE- A

5. Tennessee Titans - CJ Mosley MLB
    ---Many were surprised with this pick but Mosley was projected as a 1st round talent. Mosley comes from the talent rich Alabama program where he was the leader of a top notch defense. Here he will be expected to become the base of a defense that needs help reaching elite status.
    ---75OVR, 90TAK, 82SPD, 79STR, 81PMV
    GRADE- B+

6. Arizona Cardinals - DeAnthony Thomas HB
    ---Thomas was considering to be the consensus #1 RB taken off the board, but that was before the Giants decided to change it up a bit. The Cardinals are clearly going for it all this year signing Alex Smith to lead the team, and grabbing Ben Tate in free agency among other noteworthy moves. But grabbing Thomas gives this team a clear lightning potential with his blazing speed and ability to line up as a WR. If your looking for the next electric player, look no further than DeAnthony Thomas.
    ---79OVR, 97SPD, 93BCV, 85CAR, 90JKM, 79CTH, 84RTE
    GRADE- A

7. TB Bucs - Sammy Watkins WR
    ---The Bucs traded Vincent Jackson in the offseason getting rid of a massive contract but then they lost a big playmaker. Well the Bucs decided to grab Sammy Watkins here. Watkins comes into a much crowded Bucs WR corps which makes you wonder if the Bucs will open it up and give QB Mike Glennon the option to throw to some solid guys on the outside. Watkins has a flare for the dramatic and could give the Bucs a downfield option that Jackson gave them last year.
    ---76OVR, 89SPD, 82CTH, 95SPC, 84RTE
    GRADE- B

8. Buffalo Bills - Craig Loston SS
    ---The Bills have come up recently and stated they want to play a lot more bump and run press type coverage. They traded for Tramon Williams from the Packers, signed Nmandi Asomugha and Duke Ihenacho to sure up a pretty bad secondary from last year. The Bills really went hard at the secondary and now have great depth at all 4 spots of the starting secondary. Craig Loston gives them another guy who can cover anyone out on the field. The Bills secondary is definitely one that should improve tremendously.
    ---76OVR, 79MCV, 90ZCV, 88PRC, 97PUR
    GRADE- B+

9. Indianapolis Colts - Cyril Richardson LG
    ---The Colts badly needed to sure up the guard spots on the offensive line and grab the best guard off the board at this spot. Cyril can come in and be a dominant force and give the Colts an easier time of running the ball in-between the tackles, not to mention keep Andrew Luck up-right.
    ---84OVR, 92RBK, 90PBK, 92IBL, 91STR
    GRADE- A

10. Baltimore Ravens - Terrance Brooks FS
    ---Brooks figured to be the 1st safety off the board but Loston was picked two spots ahead of them. The Ravens may have wanted Loston, seeing as they have Michael Huff at the FS spot who is a pretty solid all-around FS, but couldn't pass up on getting Brooks. It begs the question of which one of these guys is going to move to the more physical SS position? Brooks is a bit slight but he does pack a punch and can actually cover guys as well.
    ---79OVR, 80ZCV, 90PUR, 82HPW
    GRADE- B

11. Chicago Bears - AJ Johnson. MLB
    ---With Lance Briggs likely having 1-2 years left at that and Brian Urlacher retiring years back, the Bears went with AJ Johnson to give them a physical presence in the middle of their defense again. He doesn't possess blazing speed but he knows how to attack the ball carrier and is usually in the best position out there on the field.
    ---76OVR, 74SPD, 86BSH, 85PUR, 85PRC
    GRADE- B

12. Pitt Steelers - Adrian Hubbard ROLB
    ---Another team known for their top notch LB play, the Steelers grabbed Hubbard here, a physical specimen at 6'6", 260 to play on the other side of last year's 1st round pick, Jarvis Jones. Hubbard can rush the passer and is a studly run stuffer...a clear sign the Steelers want to get back to smashing teams in the mouth.
    ---78OVR, 79SPD, 85FMV, 78BSH, 88PUR
    GRADE- A

13. St Louis Rams - Teddy Bridgewater QB
    ---The Rams were in heaven seeing the 12 teams ahead of them draft everything BUT a QB. So they had a choice of any QB they wanted. They went with the consensus #1 QB on the board according to scouts in Teddy Bridgewater. The Rams now have their QB of the future. Funny thing is the Rams didn't know for sure if Bridgewater would even be an option for them at #13 so they didn't bother going to any of his workouts.
    ---71OVR, 84THP, 81SAC, 87MAC, 88DAC, 77SPD
    GRADE- A-

14. Cleveland Browns - Gabe Jackson LG
    ---Gabe Jackson gives the Browns a very good base on the left side of their offensive line as he will team up with Joe Thomas to keep whoever will start at QB upright. The Browns had problems on the offensive line and this pick helps out a ton in that area.
    ---79OVR, 87RBK, 86PBK, 83IBL, 87STR
    GRADE- A

15. Houston Texans - Jake Matthews LT
    ---If the last name sounds familiar then you know who's son this is. Jake Matthews was a big time need as the Texans didn't have a LT on the roster. Matthews isn't much of a step down from Jake Lewan, the #1 rated tackle in this class.
    ---88OVR, 85PBK, 87RBK, 90IBL, 89STR
    GRADE- A

16. Philadelphia Eagles - David Fales QB
    ---This was a big time shock pick here, among the likes of Lache Seastrunk going 1st, but give the Eagles credit, they did their homework. The talk behind the scenes was Fales was clearly the best passing QB in this class, even better than Teddy Bridgewater. The Eagles grabbed someone who's ready to start from day 1.
    ---75OVR, 91THP, 84SAC, 89MAC, 89DAC
    GRADE- A

17. San Diego Chargers - Johnny Manziel QB
    ---Conversely, Manziel was figured to be the #2 QB off the board but he fell into the laps of the Chargers, who badly were looking for a QB who can move the pocket and make plays with his arm and his feet. While on Johnny's secret pro-day which he held in the Bahamas with no cameras around, he supposedly struggled with accuracy issues and lacked the arm strength to drive the ball downfield. Then the ratings came out and ooooh myyyy, Manziel got screwed. The Chargers maybe wondering WTF to do but hey 1ke, Matt Blanchard is indeed still available for you bro. There's no denying Johnny Footbaw's "talent" (and I say that loosely) but he may not be ready as many felt he would be.
    ---68OVR, 80THP, 79SAC, 80MAC, 81DAC, 80SPD, 91BCV
    GRADE- C

18. New York Jets - Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix FS
    ---After grabbing Dee Millner in the draft last year, the Jets go back to Alabama and grab Millner's former teammate in Ha-Sean Clinton-Dix. Dix was a 5th round projected talent but he had a personal workout for the Jets and aced it. Dix gives the Jets a deep safety playmaker they lacked last year with Josh Bush. Not to mention, he was one of the top rated cover safeties in the draft.
    ---73OVR, 90SPD, 85MCV, 92ZCV, 77PRS
    GRADE- A-

19. St Louis Rams - Louis Nix III DT
    ---The Rams grabbed this pick in a trade and decided to sure up the defensive line. Nix is a big powerful specimen who can eat up space with his 347lb frame. He fits nicely in the Rams 3-4 scheme.
    ---78OVR, 89STR, 87PMV, 83BSH
    GRADE- B+

20. San Francisco 49ers - Ed Atkinson RE
    ---Alabama just spits them out and gives the NFL pros it seems right? Stinson really reminds me of the guy he's expected to line up on the other side of, Justin Smith. A big powerful RE prospect who moves like a cat. Just a top notch prospect to fit on the line down in SF.
    ---82OVR, 81PMV, 86BSH, 83PRC, 83STR
    GRADE- A

21. Jacksonville Jags - Tajh Boyd QB
    ---The Jags rolled with Dennis Dixon for most of the year...that should tell you how dire their QB situation was. Boyd was the choice here and is the clear future. The Jags like someone who can move around in the pocket and have the ability to deliver the ball downfield.
    ---72OVR, 83THP, 83SAC, 90MAC, 83DAC, 79SPD
    GRADE- A-

22. Cincinnati Bengals - Andrew Norwell LG
    ---Norwell was one of the highly rated guards in the draft but the Bengals really had a few nice offensive line pieces already in place. They do develop some depth here on the line but there wasn't a real "need" for Norwell. Norwell likely will get the start at the LG spot.
    ---81OVR, 84RBK, 82PBK, 83IBL, 88STR
    GRADE- B

23. Carolina Panthers - Bradley Toby CB
    ---The Panthers were searching every team and turning over every stone to get CB help. They couldn't nab anyone in free agency so they turned to the draft. Much to their surprise, they had the pick of the liter as none of the teams ahead of them grabbed a CB. The Panthers decided to take Bradley Roby, who was one of the top zone and man corners in the draft. Roby filled a huge need and likely will be starting right away for the Panthers.
    ---74OVR, 89MCV, 90ZCV, 84PRS
    GRADE- A

24. Detroit Lions - Brandon Coleman WR
    ---In keeping up with the tall WR cheddar, the Lions needed someone to compliment Megatron on the other side. Enter Brandon Coleman, who gives Stafford some WR height cheese to throw it up when he's under pressure. While Coleman has nowhere near the speed of Megatron, he does have the hands to snag passes while using his height and frame to come down with 50/50 jump balls. Not exactly a need play here but it's just nice to have 2 behemoth type WR's to throw to when shit hits the fan.
    ---72OVR, 82SPD, 86CTH, 88CIT, 83RLS
    GRADE- C

25. Indianapolis Colts - Jackson Jeffcoat ROLB
    ---I know the Colts traded back to grab more draft picks to fill needs but I didn't necessarily see this one as a pure "need." Yes I know Robert Mathis is getting long in the tooth at 33 years of age but at his position, Jeffcoat has an equally physical LB in Bjoern Werner and they brought in Melvin Ingram from the Chargers in a trade earlier in the offseason. Maybe Jeffcoat will move to the middle and while he is indeed a VERY good prospect, I just don't see a true need.
    ---75OVR, 78SPD, 83PMV, 87BSH
    GRADE- B-

26. Buffalo Bills - Jordan Matthews WR
    ---The Bills wanted a WR earlier in the 1st round but grabbed a nice SS. Now they turn to one of their needs in Jordan Matthews. Matthews fills a need in a way because yes he's a WR, but he's not the game breaking WR they were hoping to get in the draft. Matthews really is a big slot type WR who runs the best routes out of any of the WR's coming out of the draft. Maybe he can become the next Vincent Jackson with his 6'3", 212lb frame.
    72OVR, 86SPD, 77CTH, 92RTE, 82RLS
    GRADE- B+

27. New Orleans Saints - Stephen Morris QB
    ---The Saints were looking towards the future with small rumblings of Drew Brees possibly hanging them up. Plus I feel they don't want to get caught with their pants down by their ankles if by any chance Brees does what Brady did and retire suddenly. Either way, the Saints grab their QB of the future in Stephen Morris, who can learn a lot seeing the great Drew Brees run this offense.
    ---71OVR, 88THP, 87SAC, 81MAC, 83DAC
    GRADE- B

28. Oakland Raiders - Stephen Tuitt LE
    ---The Raiders got someone to lineup on the other side of their other big DE, Lamarr Houston in Stephen Tuitt. Tuitt is a load at 322lbs but he moves so well for a man of his size. Great power and excellent athleticism BUT it remains to be seen how he can fit in a 4-3 scheme.
    ---81OVR, 85PMV, 86BSH, 74SPD, 85STR
    GRADE- B

29. New England Patriots - Karlos Williams SS
    ---Williams who played alongside Terrence Brooks, another FSU kid drafted in the 1st round, looks to take over the reigns in the Patriots secondary that's looking for a few playmakers back there. Williams gives the Pats a guy who loves playing down in the box and boy does he pack a load when he hits someone. Probably one of the hardest hitting safeties in this draft at 6'1", 230lbs.
    ---73OVR, 78MCV, 80ZCV, 80TAK, 91POW
    GRADE- B

30. Minnesota Vikings - Dan Fox MLB
    ---Minnesota didn't have many draft picks but their 1st rounder netted them their likely starting MLB in Dan Fox. Fox possesses the traits you want in your LB to have...he's the clear leader of the defense when he's out there and the Vikings full expect him to be the same way in the NFL.
    ---74OVR, 82SPD, 83BSH, 84PUR, 80PRC
    GRADE- B+

31. Denver Broncos - Zack Martin LG
    ---Denver grabbed the best available guard, in Zach Martin. With Peyton's career winding down, the Broncos have been making some moves to get him one final ring. Martin's strength is pass blocking but he's just a solid overall guard prospect. They brought in Marshawn Lynch to give Manning a big bruising back and to keep opposing defenses honest.
    ---78OVR, 84RBK, 88PBK, 83IBL
    GRADE- A-

32. Miami Dolphins - Cyrus Kouandjio LT
    ---With the final pick of the 1st round, the TLY champions grab the best run blocking tackle in the draft. Cyrus is a perfect fit for a run-first offense.
    ---82OVR, 91RBK, 82PBK, 91STR
    GRADE- A

• Like Like x 14
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Love this, great write up mo. I had to address that offensive line. No way I could go into the season with a run first offense and have guards with run block in the 70's. I looked at 25 and 35 together. I wanted to add another offensive lineman and a starter on defense. Offensive line was deep and my list of defensive playmakers was getting short. I had Clowney, Mosely, Nix and Hubbard all off the board, so I had to go with Jeffcoat here and grab the other olineman at 35. If I had taken the other olineman here it would have been Cyrus. Jeffcoat is going to start at ROLB and Mathis is a situational player. Mathis is a liability against the run, whereas Jeffcoat is stout.

3. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

wow, Tuitt an 81? probaby in a 3-4 scheme, but a 63 in 4-3, doesnt matter, individual ratings > overall rating.

Funny to see this fat ass as a DE though, dude is huge. He is fast for a fat assthough.

4. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Fales .... zing!!!! Was gonna pull the trigger on Dix but couldn't resist his passing numbers. This was one of the most interesting drafts I've been apart of, that fact that we could draft familiar names was key to a lot of my success though I've never heard of Falls out of San Jose State........ bet those that didn't scout QB'S were like WTF?!?

5. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Natural overalls can be viewed during a game or in practice via depth charts, schemes throw off the numbers but I agree individual measurables > overall ratings all day.

6. dakota7

You could move him inside in a 43

7. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I have vance walker/ pat sims who are already pretty good inside. Want to see how he does on the outside, he is still slightly quick for a big guy, hopefully his strength and block shedding can get him around the RT to stuff runs.

8. niner_empire86

niner_empire86 Walk On

Nice work. I'm not as mad as I was initially for the computer drafting Johnson for me. But looks like a lot of players came in low. Especially in speed. Hopefully he can help me slow down Peterson.

9. dakota7

I tried that all last cycle. Didn't go so well.

JSimms

• Like Like x 2