TLY Gameplay Concerns

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by HotRod, May 3, 2013.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Ok guys I feel like this thread is necessary because I've been getting complaints here and there about gameplay so we need to have an open discussion of what issues we have seen over the course of playing Madden this year.

For example, I think there is a big problem with people bouncing runs intended to go inside to the outside far too frequently. Couple that with people running laterally so that the defender cannot close in on them, this is a big no no to me. You need to make the effort to run the play as designed.

Overuse of the tight end has been a problem, though I think people have been doing much better at being balanced in their passing attack. However people need to be cognizant of how they are utilizing the tight end. Running the same TE route all game does not constitute sim gameplay.

Along the lines with the TE issue, one player should not be outrageously overproducing compared to other receivers on your team, especially if they are not even a starter. Of course you may have a superstar on your team but a slot man should not be competing for NFL MVP.

People need to learn to play defense without blitzing every single play. Spamming the blitz because you cannot put together a defensive gameplan will not be tolerated. Also calling cover 2 man under all game is probably the cheesiest thing anyone can do on defense. We all know this is one of the toughest defenses to pass on, and we have seen someone abuse it when the game is on the line. I'm not saying it can't be called, but it should be used every now and then, not every 3rd down.

These are just a few that come to mind this morning, feel free to chime in. I want us to clean things up gameplay wise leading into the new release. Once again I want this to be an open discussion so we can all air out our grievances. I'm sure there have been times we have all toed the line in certain situations and we all need to be accountable if we are going to call ourselves a SIM league. I want us to be known as one of the top Madden CCMs on TSO. Not that it's a competition but I want us have a great reputation among our peers.

Thanks,
    HotRod

Craig Brown
    Anthrax78
    dakota7
    JSimms

Hokie Effect
    Blaza
    PepperNY

HotRod
    Matrix Monkey
    Butcher Black

Boom29
    GeneralCarter
    Hitmhrd72
    BrewBomber

jay2149
    bjbdahitman
    Troy J.
    LSUTRUTH

whoozy11
    yogibear
    TerentiusXIII
    Aspect1

brizz98
    Juan Valencia
    oneshot24
    ZCar352

Kidofcrash23
    Jamie
    T.B.A.R.
    GDip

Last edited: May 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Is it understandable to run a higher percentage of zone defense in the second half when you get a sizable lead? In the rare cases I got that kind of a lead (only a few), I found it better to back-off and play soft zone coverage with no blitzing and no man-press coverage. I hated it when I was playing a guy who was beating me by 4 scores and was playing man press high pressure defense. So I find myself playing low pressure zone coverage with a lead like that and not a lot of man. Is that unacceptable? what are your thoughts?

3. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Nothing wrong with zone coverage. I think the best thing is always to show different looks on defense. Not only is it smart football, it may actually give you a chance on defense without having to resort to using the most notorious effective defenses every play.

4. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I think the general consensus is to mix up your play, but obviously, people run defenses based on the situation. Whether up big or down big or up little or down little. I try to run my defense normally no matter the type of game. Naturally, i will go softer if up big so i dont give up big plays and to prevent a comeback, but i try to keep to what i normally do throughout the game. That way, nobody can complain about doing one thing too much. Also, i dont want to get too soft to allow a comeback, we al know it isn't hard to comeback in this game.

I just hope nobody is complaining about man on 3rd down because they needed a play the most instead of abusing man on 3rd down. I dont have a problem with people playing man on 3rd down personally, i know a lot of people do have issue with that, but i can see somebody complaining about facing man on 3rd down when it was done twice in the 4th quarter and like 1 time in the 1st 3 quarters. Then the complaint is not about abuse, but more because they faced man on 3rd down when they needed to make a play the most.

5. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Bottom line is mix it up. This isn't a lobby game.

6. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

IMO, every defense called has it's weakness, regardless of personnel even. Since offense has such a huge advantage given that you cannot man lock on DB's with strong slot formations etc... that if someone is picking 2 man under every play and you pick a slot formation with a middle route to split the safties then its touchdown city. It's still no excuse and if you are blitzing with a lead then you are opening yourself to someone being open anyways, but you should never do it every play and just try to rack up xp for players regardless. I almost wish Madden didn't have XP points to keep stats from being abused but it is what it is at this point.

7. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I haven't encountered much questionable gameplay. Only thing that comes to mind is the hitch seems to be a go to route. Speaking of which how do you guys stop it???

Maybe just coincendence that this comes out today, but my opponent last night said I was bouncing my runs outside. This is the first I have been accused of and can't really recall me doing so. It might have been a reaction to all out blitzes, I think it is just smart football to not run the ball into 8 guys bunched up in the middle.

But once again if there is a problem with gameplay it needs to be addressed during the game, not after.

8. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    This is not isolated to one specific case. I think everyone has seen it a least once while playing Madden. We have a lot of new people and we don't know everybody's gameplay and I'd like to nip this all in the bud ASAP.

9. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Cover 4, Cover 2 sink, pretty much plays that have a purple zone going into that area.

10. LSUTRUTH

LSUTRUTH The one and only

Not true all of the time. You have to have a purple and blue to the same side otherwise the Curl is always open as the curl defender in this game is broken they always play the flat route that is paired with the combination

11. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Well yeah nothing works all the time, but you are better served mixing those in if you are getting beat. My philosophy is and always has been, if someone is beating you one way make the effort to take it away. Gotta make the effort to adjust. Nothing is unstoppable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LSUTRUTH

The curl and the Comeback are the two routes hardest to stop in this game. The Comeback is one of the hardest period real life or video game. There are alot of flaws in this game unfortunately this is what we have. I would say people shouldnt abuse the curl.

13. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    If all someone is going to do is play man coverage and cover 3. You won't beat that coverage much with streaks. Post route can beat man and cover 3 depending on the safety help. Otherwise you are left with outs, ins, slants, drags, curls, comebacks.

14. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I just get annoyed when people act as if there are dozens of route options in the game. We have streak, post, flag, comeback, curl, drag, out, in, corner, wheel. Am I missing anything else?

15. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

I use cover 2 sink or cover 4, dont expect 100% stoppage, nothing is 100% stoppage, but defends it very well in my experience.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

i think you can say that about every defense against offense

17. LSUTRUTH

Whip
    Quick out
    Speed cut
    Bubble
    Stick route
    Fade

18. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    How frequent do you think these plays are seen in the playbooks though? Far less common than the routes I listed above.

19. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

slants get no love?

20. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    This is all the pass plays one shotgun formation in my playbook. I use every play except the curl and go bc that play is broken.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Just to throw my two cents into the equation - I like that we've finally got some constructive discussion going regarding game play. To all the new guys - please take feedback regarding game play constructively; you'll find that TSO game play standards are definitely more strict than any others out there, but if you stick around and conform to them, you will never go back and learn to appreciate them! Also, just because you're new doesn't mean you can't call out questionable game play as well; I sometimes get the feeling that new guys get played differently than some of the TSO vets around here. If that's what is going on, we want to know about it!

And to all - please take the time after each game to fill out the game play evaluation forms! This (along with public discussions like the one in this thread) will help us put together a group of sim Madden gamers that will be playing together for years to come!

Game play hasn't been a huge issue for me, but box scores versus the CPU have been. While the CPU is torture to play, let's all do what we can not to break passing & rushing records each time we play them. If you have a RB approaching 175 yards rushing, sub him out! If you're up 50 and have a pick-6 opportunity, down the damn ball. It may be just because I'm a stat (finance) geek, but unrealistic stats make me cringe.

Love,
    JSimms

22. Hokie Effect

Love the slants. Roddy took one 60yd to pay dirt week 1.

23. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Your standard I-form passing options. 4 of the 8 plays the TE is doing the same thing.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    This is Ace Panthers Double

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. Hokie Effect

Not sure why there is so much love for TE/slot WR, but I guess when you have Roddy and Julio on the outside you rarely look that way.

I do think we should "Strasburg" Adrian Peterson and limit his carries throughout the year, let JSimms allocate it during the season (y) . I hate that dude, can break any run at anytime.....

• Like Like x 2