TLY Season 1 Draft Recaps

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by PAgamer07, Dec 4, 2012.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Hopefully most of you can take some time to give us some detail on your picks, maybe grade them and possibly explain why you drafted as you did.

[​IMG]

Round 1

RG Jaren Wallace (Boise St.) 84 OVR: the 6'4" 308 lbs Guard was certainly not a flashy pick for the Eagles, but definitely a position of need. With all signs pointing to an unproven starter at QB, protection would be paramount.

88 RBK, 90 IBL, 90 Strength make Wallace a fantastic run blocker on the right side of the line. He needs to improve his pass blocking, and he is a bit slow on run plays, so don't expect many counters or weak side runs.

He was projected late in the 2nd round, but there were not many interior lineman with projected ratings as high as Wallace, so we grabbed him early due to lack of depth.

Overall Grade: A-

Round 2

LOLB Damon Hughes (Robert Morris) 78 OVR: Hughes is a big guy at 6'4" 250 lbs, but has excellent quickness. There was only 1 OLB I liked better than Hughes, but he was drafted in the 1st round. Since I am doing this at work, all names escape me and I may edit it :)

We were intrigued with his acceleration (91), Hit Power (94) and solid play recognition (84). Although not very good in coverage, we expect him to be able to hold his own, but stuffing the run will be his specialty.

Overall Grade: B

Round 3

CB Lawrence Leggett (Southern Miss) 65 OVR: At 5'11" and 190 lbs Leggett has decent size for a cornerback, but what impressed me were how refined his cover skills and speed were. He was ranked as our #3 cornerback but projected much lower in the draft due to (meaningless?) awareness. Cornerbacks were being snatched up by bunches, so we took him here at 3rd pick.

As mentioned above his Zone (80) man coverage (79) and play recognition (77) make him a very talented cover guy. His blazing speed was also a plus in his favor and he comes in with 95 ACC and 94 SPD. Since we have depth at CB, we can afford to try him out as our primary kick and punt returner.

Overall Grade: C

Round 4

FS Kolton Morgan (San Jose St.) 72 OVR: Morgan has great size at 5'11" 199 lbs, and can play the ball well. Although I had a huge need at both safety spots, the lack of standout performers at safety made me hesitant to take one any sooner than this. Unfortunately, the rest of the league felt the same way, and even guys I had ranked lower than Morgan were drafted early. So with this pick aquired from the Cardinals we drafted Morgan.

What impressed us most about Morgan through scouting was his ball-hawking abilities. He comes in with an excellent 85 Zone coverage rating, 76 play recognition and 75 catch rating. Although his speed grades out in the mid 80's I was pleasantly surprised how good this kid can be.

Overall Grade: C+

C Dareyon Stroud (Beth Cookman) 58 OVR: Stroud is on the smaller scale of lineman at 6'3" 305 lbs. He has decent blocking abilities, and strength, but nothing off the charts elsewhere. This pick was predicated on need and the fact that my top rated Center (projected in the 7th round) went either in 3rd round, or slightly ahead of my other pick.

82 RBK, 73 PBK, 89 IBL, 99 STR. Meh... Hell probably never see the field in Philly and had I the draft to do over again, I would have taken my guy much earlier.

Overall Grade: F

Round 5:

QB Frankie Henderson (Missouri) 65 OVR: 6'3" 240 lbs Henderson is a pretty solid QB. Although he didn't get much playing time at Missouri, he has a lot of good tools. We weren't very impressed with the QB class, and Henderson was one of my top 4 QB's available.

He has excellent arm strength (89), 84 SAC, 82 MAC, 71 DAC and is pretty accurate. He is actually the most accurate QB on my roster right now, and after one practice session has been handed the keys to the car. His goals are easily attainable and I feel that by year 2 in the league he will be an excellent QB. Go Get'em kid.

Round 6

WR Terrence Brown (Ball State) 71 OVR: Physically at 6'1" 205 lbs we like Brown's size. We drafted him mainly to add depth to the WR Corps and after practicing with him, he'll actually move up to #4 on the depth chart.

He has the tools to be a solid slot receiver. He does not have breakaway speed, so playing outside the hashes is not his game. 76 CTH, 89 CIT, 77 RTE are his strengths and we feel he will be a solid contributor possibly as early as this year.

Overall Grade: C

Round 7:

LOLB Todd Foloi (NIU) 63 OVR: Foloi has average size at 6'1" 238 lbs with above average speed. We really didn't know where to go here, and figured add some depth to our weakest position. He has potential with 87 TKL, 76 BSH, 77 PRC so we'll see how his career turns out.

Overall Grade: D

• Like Like x 4
  2. PAgamer07

FYI If guys aren't sure what rounds they drafted their players in, on the connected careers site, when viewing their profile it shows what round they were drafted (y)

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I would have never had thought that rookies would come in rated so high especially in 1st round. I would have thought twice about trading my picks. CPU ended up drafting for me. I got a 78ovr DE in 2nd and 75ovr T in 4th. SS Bums in the 6th and 7th. I do like teh DE so far, had 2 sacks in teh preseason game.

4. TheRealHalupka

TheRealHalupka Walk On

[​IMG]
    Wasn't there for the draft, but got some solid prospects.

Round 1 Pick 6:
    RE Rico Olaniyan 6'5" 275 from Viriginia Tech Grade: A-
    Hoping this guy can turn into a stud pass rusher. 77 OVR right now, but that's because I don't think he fits my scheme. 90 Speed, 85 Strength and 93 Acceleration will make this guy a monster, once he ups his block shedding. He also has 78 Awareness and 82 Finesse moves. Going to be my Nickel pass rusher to start and move to the D-Line in my base set soon.

Round 2 Pick 6:
    QB Jake Reed 6'3" 219 from Iowa St. Grade: C
    Don't really need a QB right now with Flacco being on the younger side, but could be a good developmental player down the line. 73 OVR, has 90 Throw Power and 77 Short Accuracy to go along with 81 Medium Accuracy. Throw on the run rating of 82 and Play-action rating of 79 are great for this offense. Excited to see him in preseason.

Round 3 Pick 6:
    LG Christian Alexander 6'4" 301 from Washington Grade: C-
    72 OVR, so not too bad. Not really big enough for my scheme, as normally the Ravens use the Big Mauler player type on the O-Line. Does have a 79 Run Block rating and 72 Pass Block rating. Excited for his 88 Impact block rating and 88 Strength. Might develop to be an interior player.

Round 4 Pick 6:
    FS Willie Harris 6' 195 from Alabama A&M Grade: C-
    67 OVR. Has 90 Speed, but only 82 Acceleration. Will be a core special teamer and might have a chance in the kick return game to work. 78 Zone Coverage and 61 Man Coverage isn't too bad for a safety. Pursuit is great at 85, so he can run down kick returners/punt returners.

Round 5 Pick 6:
    LT Dylan D'Orazio 6'3" 310 from Kansas St. Grade: B
    71 OVR in the 5th round, I'll take it for sure. 80 Pass and 76 run block. only 78 strength, so that is a concern. Another solid developmental lineman though and already has 78 Awareness. Will be interested to see how he does in pre-season.

Round 6 Pick 6:
    HB Brandon LaFontant 5'11" 185 from Purdue Grade: C
    Only a 65 OVR because he really doesn't fit my scheme. Will be my new kick returner with 99 Speed and 90 Accel. Might be my new 3rd Down back as well with 64 catching to start and 75 Elusiveness. Excited to see how well he does in the kick game with a low rating in Kick Return.

Round 7 Pick 6:
    C Corin Barriere 6'3' 313 from Maryland Grade: B
    Only a 63 Ovr but that is due to his really poor Awareness, only 30. 84 Run Block 75 pass block and 90 Impact Block with 86 Strength. Could turn into a stud if he gets some pt. Looks like the computer draft some nice young O-Line prospects for me.

Overall, I give the draft by the computer a B. I am pretty excited about this draft class. The DE looks like an absolute stud and I'm excited to see how my young O-line preforms in the preseason.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

[​IMG]

The New York Jets had huge gaps to fill this offseason, most of which was on the defensive side of the ball. While we knew this going into the season - mainly LOLB being the weakest - we not prepared for the devastation that took place. We had a horrible negotiation process that left us shredded at the end of the season. Sure, we signed a few core guys, but we had no idea the talent gap would have widened this much. Further compounding matters was the inability to sign anyone in the critical offseason weeks.

Given the above, the New York Jets went on a post-season tear in the scouting department. All eyes focused on getting some solid recruits in the 2013 NFL Draft.

ROUND #1

This was disheartening. We had 0 REs on the roster coming into the draft. So you can imagine the frusteration after pouring countless hours into this individual. All progress reports were projecting a B class athlete, but things just didn't pan out as we hoped. There are reports we have a scheme mismatch, but nevertheless, we have our work cut out at Right End.

rating scale = poor

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ROUND #2

A great pickup for the offense. The Jets really struggled with a consistent North-South run game last year and this prospect is going to help us with the power game. This athlete shows all signs of greatness and fits our scheme perfectly.

rating scale = great
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ROUND #3

This TE was pulled for 3rd and long situations whereby hands are needed in the middle of the field.

rating scale = average

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

ROUND #4

We had really hoped for more from this pick, in terms of impact blocking, so we are going to see how things develop. This pickup adds depth to the RG position.

rating scale = average

[​IMG][​IMG]

ROUND #5

We had little, if any, scouting on Quinton, so this was really something that didn't turn out well. While we added depth, our position requirement was coverage, speed and tackling, none of which are hitting the mark.

rating scale = below average

[​IMG][​IMG]

ROUND #6

This was clearly the worst pick in the NFL Draft and we owe this all to 0 scouting.

rating scale = poor

[​IMG][​IMG]

ROUND #7

Our last pick was for depth at DT for games that go deep whereby fresh legs are needed from such a grueling position. With some work we thing this individual will make strides.

rating scale = average

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. PAgamer07

Dude, this was well done.

7. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Round 1

WR Leighton Mills 68 OVR: The Vikings were disappointed to find all of their targeted first round players had already been chosen by the time their 32nd pick arrived, so decided to settle on the rookie out of Soutern Cal.

Mills showed exceptional hands at the combine, including 90 CIT, 81 CTH & 83 SPC. He's only an 87 in speed (mediocre for WR's), and still needs to develop his route running skills (only a 59), but at 6'4" he is slated to be the #2 WR for the Vikings after losing Jerome Simpson to FA.

Round 2

MLB Brandon Ferguson 64 OVR: Projected as a 5th round draft pick, the Vikings decided to stretch for a guy that will immediately start for them at MLB in their 4-3 defense.

Some unbelievable attributes for a rookie LB - 91 SPD, 93 Hit Power, 80 Strength, 85 acceleration. An awereness rating of 11 brings down his OVR, but with a little development time this could turn out to be a stretch worth making for the #1 ranked defense from a year ago.

Overall Grade: B-

Round 3

LG Layne Brown 70 OVR: A big mauler, the Vikings were hoping to draft their future at LG but have so far come away unimpressed with the lineman out of Colorado.

Brown shows promise, coming in with RBK 85, Impact Block of 85, and strength of 96 but struggles blocking in passing situations (75). Vikings staff are not confident that he'll be able to beat out Charlie Johnson for the staring spot this season.

Overall Grade: C-

Rest to come later....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthrax78

Anthrax78 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Detroit Lions Draft Grade 2013
    1st Round: Walker Stream WR 5'9" UCF
    [​IMG]

The Lions used the 7th overall pick to grab this speedy wide-out similar to Steve Smith to help balance the offense this season and take pressure away from Calvin Johnson. Coach Westcott is really impressed with his rookie skill set and explosiveness off the line. Looked decent against a very talented Steelers team in the preseason. Grade: A-

Round 2: Mario Brown CB 6'2" Notre Dame
    [​IMG]

Great cover corner who should add skill to a group that surrendered over 500 points last season. He is used to being in the 3-4 scheme so he might have bumps to overcome but his intangibles far outweigh this problem. Will fight for starting time with Alphonso Smith. Grade: B+

Round 3: Maurice Miller DE S.D. State 6'5"
    [​IMG]

The Lions third round pick was an obvious roster filler for added depth at the position. With Detroit grabbing Andre Carter don't expect much time from him unless the injury bug hits. Does have good strength off the block and is a big end that might fill situational schemes Coach Westcott might run. Grade: C-

Round 5: Leveon Greco FS 6' Texas Tech

[​IMG]

The Lions used their 5th pick to grab hard-hitting FS Greco, out of Texas Tech. Has a lot of speed and can hit hard but looks raw and suspect on coverage. This is an insurance policy move for often injured Louis Delmas. Not bad, but don't expect great numbers either. Grade: D

Round 6: Tim Stadler QB 6'1" Wisc-Whitewater
    [​IMG]

Tough nosed QB with great arm. Should back-up Stafford and can win a game if needed. Didn't make too many bad decisions in Steelers preseason game but did not look comfortable out of the pocket. Another positional insurance move to avoid paying more money to established back-up. Grade: C+

Round 7: Ladarius Mitchell HB 5'9" San Jose St

[​IMG]

Maybe the best value pick for the Lions in this draft. Jahvid Best and Leshoure are unproven at best and if the running game goes in the tank, expect him to get touches. Great agility and burst but lacks a top speed that most NFL coaches want. Coach Westcott still has had much praise for this 7th rounder and he was not cut. With Best constant injury issues and Leshoure's blunt smoking problems he could easily have the starting job before the season is over. Grade: C+

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Season 2 Draft Notables:

Pick #1 RE Quan Baker 84 overall- Instant Starter. I moved up in the draft to snag this speed rushing end and I am happy with what I got. I will be spending all of my progression on his block shedding but he is an instant starter for the Chargers this season.

Pick #2 WR Trayion Woodard 77 overall- Instant Starter (WR #3) I spent the majority of my scouting points on WR in this years draft and all of my top WR's were taken in the first round. Thankfully Woodard was the next tier WR and he was still available in the second round so I decided to snatch him up before it was too late. He showed great speed and made some solid catches in our preseason game and solidified the #3 WR spot.

Pick #3 FS Paul Flueizard 77 overall- Instant Starter (SS) He was a FS in college but will be replacing Stucky at SS. His hit power is in the 90's and has great pursuit to the ballcarrier and catching ability but is a little slow (80). He is starting because he is an upgrade but we will be spending all our xp on getting this guy to at least an 84 by the end of the season!

The rest of the guys we drafted were cut prior to the season.

10. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

All of these drafts were better then mine.

11. thecajunnacho78

thecajunnacho78 Walk On

2013 CHICAGO BEARS NFL DRAFT RESULTS
    After a great free agency period by Coach Smith and the Chicago Bears, the NFL Draft was right around the corner. But the question was, who would the Bears pick? What whole do they need to patch? Well, it was clear after the draft, the Bears are wanting to help keep QB Jay Cutler off of his back as much as they can. Here is the analysis:
    Round 1: C T.J. Gbor - Montana - 6'3" - 286 lbs
    [​IMG]
    + An upgrade as a pass blocker at the Center position
    + Slightly quicker then the other Centers on the team
    - Needs to work on Impact Blocking and Run Blocking
    -Undersized for a Center
    Round 2: LT Lamarcus Fair - Virginia - 6'7" - 312 lbs
    [​IMG]
    +Instant Starter at the LT position
    +Very good Pass Blocker and Run Blocker
    +Good speed for a LT
    +Very good size standing at 6'7" going 312 lbs
    -Durability will be a concern
    -Needs to work on point of Impact
    Round 4: ROLB Devin Joyner - Arizona - 6'2" - 236 lbs
    [​IMG]
    +A steal in this draft coming in at 77 OVR as a 4th Rounder
    +Great Hit Power
    +Very Aware for a Rookie
    +Has good instincts when chasing the ball
    -Not very fast
    -Needs to work on tackling
    -Needs to improve toughness
    Round 4: Andrew Randall - Memphis - 6'0" - 215 lbs
    [​IMG]
    +Very durable back considering his running style
    +Shifty for his size
    +Very elusive in the open field
    -Not very fast
    -Needs to work on securing the ball better
    -Needs to learn how to run through his tacklers
    Round 5: RT John Schlumbohm - Temple - 6'5" - 318 lbs
    [​IMG]
    +Very good size and durability ratings
    -Vastly needs to improve Pass Block ability
    -Can improve on Run Blocking
    -Needs to improve footwork
    Round 6: QB Clay Norwell - Morgan St. - 6'2" - 223 lbs
    [​IMG]
    +Good Short Throw Accuracy
    +Decent Midfield Accuracy
    -Leaves much to be desired when throwing deep
    -Not very mobile
    Round 7: LG Caleb Mcneal - Midwestern St. - 6'6" - 340 lbs
    [​IMG]
    +Good Size
    +Really good blocking skills as a 7th Rounder
    +Strongest LG on team
    -Needs to become more aware
    -Injury Prone
    -Needs to work on Footwork

• Like Like x 1
  12. niner_empire86

niner_empire86 Walk On

[​IMG]

Round 1: CB Vincent Ordiales C+ OVR Ordiales is a solid mid-first round pick up who needs some polishing but still adds depth at a position of need for AZ. He'll see some playing time as the #4 CB.

Round 2: TE Paris Johnson D OVR This pick may have hurt the Cardinals. This TE has immense size but lacks the skills to be a real threat in the NFL. He went way too early. Could found a better player at this spot.

Round 3: OT Justin Fonti C OVR Fonti is a solid 3rd round pick up. Not an instant starter still needs some grooming but one day he'll play at this level. They addressed a need in an offensive that struggled last year hopefully he'll contribute to shoring that line up sooner than later.

Round 4: QB Michael Vick (via trade) Make or break move here. We know Vick has the ability but doesn't have the consistency. The Cardinals hope they get the Michael that can lead them to a playoff birth but so did the eagles and we know how that turned out. We knew the Cardinals didn't think they had the answer at QB on their roster before the draft. Around the league we thought they'd make a move but didn't see this one. Coulda made a play for Kurt Warner but didn't, maybe the wanted to avoid a "Farve-watch" like circus.

Round 5: WR Dylan Wooten D OVR Dylan Wooten was drafted with the intention getting a Wes Welker, Danny Amendola like slot receiver threat. He's no where near ready yet but I'm excited to see how this plays out.

Round 6: DE Alec Cotton C- OVR Cotton is a solid late round pick up for an already stout AZ D-line. Cotton will make a solid backup while he develops.

13. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    San Francisco 49ers Draft Recap
    The Niners draft was a mixed bag. Better planning by the Front Office could have really helped San Francisco make the most out of their 14 picks. While there is not one clear standout rookie in the bunch, the receiving bunch shows promise as well as 1st rounder CB Jaquente Jackson and 3rd round LT James Jackson.​
    Round Pick Position Name College Height & Weight OVR Grade Comments[/B]
    1 18 CB Jaquante Jackson Iowa State 5'9", 200 lbs 77 A Physical corner that should fit well inside due to his ability to press and play man-to-man
    1 25 WR Jameel Sommerfield Illinois 5'9", 189 lbs 71 A Small receiver but great quickness and hands. Will need to improve route running
    2 25 MLB JC Singleton Michigan 6'3", 236 lbs 65 D While a willing tackler, the measurables are just not there. Mistake pick
    3 4 LT James Jackson Syracuse 6'5", 323 lbs 77 A Needs to improve run blocking but is otherwise solid and will be first back-up available
    3 18 CB Kevin Phillips Texas State 6'2", 185 lbs 61 F A good athlete, but struggles in coverage. Will have a hard time making the team
    3 25 WR Joshua Jackson LSU 6'4", 240 lbs 70 B Did we say Redzone threat? With his size and leaping ability he will be a mismatch
    4 25 QB Timmy Virgin Colorado 6'2", 217 lbs 63 D Good overall accuracy and great arm strength. Drafted solely on his name
    5 25 MLB Kevin Augustus W Illinois 6'3", 255 lbs 65 B Solid against the run, but will need to learn to play in space
    5 31 FS Dominic Sessions Grand Valley St 5'11", 211 lbs 67 B Has the range you'd expect from a Free Safety, but will need to learn the playbook
    6 21 OLB Clim Sene USC 6'1", 240 lbs 58 D Good athlete, but below average skill. Pre-season will tell if he makes team
    6 25 LT Mason Darman Cal-Sacramento 6'7", 315 lbs 59 D Good pass blocker with great size and strength, but gets lost on the field. Possible pre-season cut
    7 28 TE Jonathan Cabunoc NC Central 6'5", 246 lbs 56 D Can catch the ball, but not much of a blocker
    7 25 WR Tyrhe Purdie California 5'9", 198 lbs 64 B Could end up being a steal of the 49ers' draft. Has outstanding speed and has good enough hands
    7 18 TE Mike Haden Hawaii 6'5", 261 lbs 60 C Not a great blocker for his size, but can catch over the middle

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Hokie Effect

Lee is rated as an 81ovr on maddencareers.com listed as 4-3 base scheme

15. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

that's because I picked someone not for my scheme (3-4).

If anyone could use him, let's make a deal !

16. Hokie Effect

Nah, dude has a fat double chinned face. Think he ate his way to his new low rating.

17. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

In reading this one might think only 9 teams participated in the NFL Draft.

18. PAgamer07

Im hoping guys aren't using the draft guides. That's a big no-no.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Lol..........I used my scouting points. How the hell do I buy a draft guide?

20. whoozy11

whoozy11 Walk On

2013 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS NFL DRAFT RESULTS

Overall, I felt like the Patriots draft was weak. It seemed like everybody had a copy of my draft board. I would target 3-4 player per pick and each time they were gone before my selection. Not to mention my first round pick was accidentally delegated (pressed button too fast). I did fill some needed spots though.

Drafted 1st Round 22nd Pick: Conner Robinson UCF Ovr 75 Computer pick, but did need a 2nd DT

Drafted 2nd Round 12th Pick: Adrian Reynolds UAB Ovr 71 Pretty much a dud with how I want to use a RB. Backs I wanted were gone and took a shot.

Drafted 3rd Round 12th Pick: Santaurus Muses ILL Ovr 78 Took a gamble and this was my best pick. I like his 85 Awr and 90 Acc

Drafted 4th Round 12th Pick: Detchauz Walker UK Ovr 67 Still searchimg for that diamond in the rough with this pick.

Drafted 7th Round 12th Pick: Charlie Davis Dav Ovr 63 Needed some depth at CB. I like tall corners and his Spd 98, Agi 95 is a plus. His awareness is putrid though

Could have been worse I guess <------optimism

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1