TLY Season 1 Year in Review

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by dj illmatic 23, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

[​IMG]
    Super Bowl Champions
    [​IMG]
    The Minnesota Vikings used a dominating ground game to carry their team all the way to the first Super Bowl victory in franchise history as they defeated the Indianapolis Colts 26-23. HB Adrian Peterson proved he is still the best HB in football rushing for 1,650 yards and 15 TD's, and exploded in the Super Bowl for 185 yards. Back-up Toby Gerhart contributed over 500 yards as well. The running game and short passing game, led by TE Kyle Rudolph, allowed second year QB Christian Ponder to excel throwing for 22 TD's and only 14 interceptions.​
    The Defensive side of the ball was led by DE Brian Robinson who racked up 16 sacks. CB Chris Cook came into his own in his third season leading the team in interceptions. However, the Vikings title run was not without controversy. The Vikings received what amounted to a bye over the explosive Philadelphia Eagles in the divisional round. Philly jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead and was on the verge of making it 14-0, when the game was called on account of lag. Philly never got a chance to show that their early lead was not a fluke as coach Ghost was fired shortly thereafter. Nevertheless, congratulations to coach JSimms on winning the first TLY title.​
    Offensive MVP
    [​IMG]
    QB Drew Brees
    117.4 QB Rating/ 4,954 passing yards/ 51 TD's 28 int's​
    Brees led the NFL in QB rating and TD's and was third in passing yards. His 51 TD's broke the NFL single season record, and his QB rating was the third best ever. He helped lead his team to the best record in the NFC and the NFC title game, where they fell just short against the eventual Super Bowl champion Minnesota Vikings.​
    Defensive MVP
    [​IMG]
    CB Joe Haden
    40 tackles/ 3 TFL/ 11 int's/ 11 deflections/ 2 FF/ 4 TD's
    While the Cleveland Browns did not make the playoffs finishing 8-8, when you stop and look at how anemic their offense was you really appreciate the amazing season Joe Haden had. Without Haden and the rest of the Brown's defense being a force, the Browns just as easily could have finished 2-14. Haden helped make the Browns a top 5 defense, and propelled the Browns to wins in games they had no business winning.
    Offensive Rookie of the Year
    [​IMG]
    QB Andrew Luck
    105.5 QB Rating/ 4,500 passing yards/ 38 TD's/ 25 int's
    Luck helped make the post-Manning era an easy transition as he led the Colts to the Super Bowl in his first year at the helm. Luck and the Colts fell just short of a title this year, but the future is definitely bright in Indy with Luck at the helm.
    Defensive Rookie of the Year
    [​IMG]
    MLB Bobby Wagner
    84 tackles/ 7 TFL/ 1 sack/ 5 int's/ 8 deflections/ 6 FF/ 1 FR/ 1 blocked kick
    Wagner surprised the entire league this season as a relatively unknown kid from Utah St. He was all over the field making plays against the run or pass. He will be a force in the middle for years to come.
    NFL Records That Fell In Year 1
    [​IMG]
    QB Matt Ryan
    Single Season Passing Yards: 5,664
    Single Season Interceptions Thrown: 52
    Ryan is responsible for two of the most ridiculous records being broken. He shattered the passing yards mark by almost 200 yards, and the interception mark by 10. Taken together, these records are absurd. How in the hell do you throw 52 interceptions!? The obvious answer: one at a time:) Ryan must have been playing blind-folded, or decided to throw to whoever's open regardless of what team they're on. The fact that Ryan threw so many interceptions makes the fact that the Falcons kept passing all the way to the record book smell of something you may find in the dairy section or next to the lunch meats.
    [​IMG]
    QB Drew Brees
    Single Season TD Passes: 51
    Brees broke the record set by Tom Brady in 2007 by one. This is a reasonable record as he only broke it by one, the Saints are a passing team, Brees was only 4 short of the record last year, and every other pass wasn't thrown to the defense:)
    All in all people a good season. We've had some turnover in coaches, (I wanted to put together a montage of all the coaches we lost similar to the one's they do at awards shows of all the deceased celebrities that passed during the year:) ) but we're full again and ready to go for season 2. Good luck to everyone in the off season and in season 2.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

dj illmatic 23

Great read, buddy. I love the content and this was a great piece the sum of the year.

The Jets plan to be listed in the publication for next season as we have high hopes!

3. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

Put a asterik by that Superbowl ;).

4. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Why did you leave? And what are you implying?

5. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

Ghost - I will be the first to admit that I definitely would have lost that game. There's no way I could have played on your connection. I run a lot of short timing patterns in the passing game, which is what lead to the INT due to the lag. That said, we can play any time you want if you think you can take down the champs...

6. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

The following is strictly my own personal opinion regarding the situation. I am not sure why it's a given his connection was the problem. I played Ghost early in the season with no problems at all. If everyone else he played had an issue with lag, I'd concede the point. However, there are a lot of variables involved when dealing with playing online to just automatically assume it was his connection. I've had to play a couple of games this year where the lag made the game difficult and unenjoyable, but my opponent was dealing with the same thing. I think in a playoff situation, you have to make the best of it. Having someone basically get a bye in the playoffs is far worse than having lag be a factor in a game. The last thing that bugs me about the situation is I wonder if you would have been as eager to end the game if you were up instead of losing. I've never played you and haven't had any dealings with you, so I'm not trying to call you out. However, these are the things that bothered me about the situation.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

I sure as heck would have tried to reschedule, play through the lag, or push the advance back since it was a playoff game. There will definitely be an asterisk by this one but that should be expected due to the circumstances. A sim would have been the way to go if the game couldn't have been rescheduled and the advance couldn't be pushed back. JSimms I have an asterisk by a fantasy football championship years back and the league still wont let me live it down to this day! And it was about something far less questionable and obvious as this. The point is that I now do everything in my control to not do anything remotely questionable because the vultures are watching.... I really don't think you did anything particularly sketchy in this one but it was probably a mistake to take a automatic cpu win in a playoff game.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

As a Cisco certified network engineer I can speak to the fact that latency has many variables. However, the 2 things you need to know are that 1) this was not an isolated case and 2) there are more details on what surrounded the ownership move in Philadelphia, that of which was discussed offline.

9. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

By the way...its weird to see dj illmatic 23 as a redskins owner....I'm guessing thats your real favorite team. I wonder if you will be able to duplicate your defensive dominance in the NFC. I will miss playing you in conference! At least you will have a QB who will hit his targets. I would say you are the favorite in that division already but it looks like its run by a majority of new coaches so I guess we will wait and see how the NFC East turns out next year.

10. JSimms

All that needs to be said - this was not an isolated issue with my opponent for the game. I'm not on here to call people out (even though that's what you seem to be doing here). Ghost admitted to the fact that he'd had internet issues, and the only time that they weren't going to exist were after midnight when less people in the dorm were online. It is my assumption that most people (especially those of us with jobs) can't be waiting until Midnight (which would have been 1:00 AM my time) to play a game, and it is not fair to others in the league to require they stay up that late to play.

End of the day - I had a blast playing in the playoffs, especially both OT games in the NFC Championship and Super Bowl. An "asterisk" from a couple of owners that don't know all of the details behind the situation means absolutely nothing to me. It's a video game, nothing more and nothing less.

11. JSimms

dj illmatic 23 Danny - http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/week-13-scheduling-thursday-am-advance.89589/page-3

Direct quote from our commissioner re: Ghost's connection - "your speed should not have caused that type of lag.. not sure what else you can do. We need to monitor it versus your other opponents and see if their experience is as bad as mine. I'll set the Cowboys to CPU today. Also, we are extending the week a bit to accomodate a request."

Just to clarify, my experience with his connection was as bad as Ryno's....my mistake, of course, was playing through the first few minutes (hoping it would get better) instead of immediately pausing the game to look for a solution with my opponent. This will be treated differently by me in the future...

12. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

If I was calling you out, you'd know it. You'd be so sure, you wouldn't have to wonder if I was or not. I admitted I didn't know all the details. I simply asked the questions a lot of people were wondering. If we invest time into a league to make it what it is, I feel we should have an idea of why things take place. Now for clarification, I'm am calling you out on the following statement. If you knew he couldn't play without the lag until after 1am your time, and you knew you couldn't make that time, you have to finish the game and deal with the lag. Not finishing the game was bullshit, because you just said you knew ya'll wouldn't be able to link up again. You both had to deal with the lag. It's not like his game ran butter smooth while you were lagging. I stand by my statement that getting a free pass to the NFC championship game is far worse than lag having an impact on a game.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JSimms

Unplayable connection, bud, and he knew it. If you have issues with how the situation was handled, please talk to the commissioners who took care of it. Thanks.

14. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

Totally understand that we don't know all the issues and I was not "calling you out..." For the record (read my post again), I didn't write anything about motives of anyone involved but just pointed out the obvious that you took an automatic cpu win when there were other options that would have been far better and would have eliminated any of this asterisk talk (like sim, reschedule, or anything other than an automatic win).

And congrats on those huge wins and winning it all. I agree, this is all for fun including my bringing up the asterisk in your playoff run ;). I cant believe you had back to back overtime wins. That must have been pretty exciting. I think you earned everything except that cpu win. And if your opponent was nixed before you had a chance to even play him in a rematch then I guess playing the cpu was the way to go. Good luck in the off-season. Hope there are no hard feelings. Maybe next year you can win a non ***asterisk*** superbowl.... But the Chargers will try their best to make sure that doesnt happen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

If anyone has more questions or comments on the subject please shoot me a PM.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JSimms

No more flying under the radar for the Vikings. They haven't even gotten off the plane yet from Indy, and teams are already trying to take their crown away. I love it! I'm up for the challenge, and look forward to defending the title in Season 2!

dj illmatic 23 - you keep drinking that Haterade; I'll continue popping bottles of champagne in celebration of my Super Bowl victory. I see you've made your way over to the NFC...good luck with that! Hopefully we get a chance to hash this out on the field...

• Like Like x 1
  17. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

The outcome didn't affect my Super Bowl chances either way. I'm simply asking the questions that anyone who pays attention in this league would have. I'm sure Ghost's story won't completely match yours, and none of us will ever know what happened except for you and him. I wasn't there, so I can't speak to if it was unplayable or not. Although, it seems to me if it was unplayable when you were about to go down 14-0 it was unplayable when it was 0-0. I simply put what happened as far as my knowledge of the game in my original year end wrap-up post. If any of it is wrong, I'll gladly edit it. At this point, I think this conversation needs to address going forward and the league's SOP for any future instances, because I'd hate to see this happen again especially in the playoffs.

18. JSimms

Ghost has been removed from the league, so it shouldn't happen again. Please feel free to PM me or Randiesel75 if you'd like to know more. I'm not going to sit here and name off all of the reasons, as it would simply become a Ghost-bashing, which is not how we do things here at TSO.

19. Ghost

Didn't get removed, I left..

20. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

connection to Ghost is unplayable.. even i quit in the middle of the game just to maintain my own sanity. It's a huge disadvantage to everyone but Ghost. He's use to it, plays like that all the time and manages much better than we do because that's the game he plays. For oppenents it is unbearable.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  21. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

debatable.

22. Ghost

I don't see how but, ok....

23. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

For what it's worth, Ghost hasn't had any connection or lag issues in the Baseline.

When he did a speed test, he had 70 down and up.

24. Ghost

^^^
    I showed you the wrong speedtest, the I showed you was wireless and I play wired

25. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Well in my defense of my questionable passing attack. Michael Turner led the NFL in TD's and was top 10 in rushing yards......

Just sayin :cool:

• Like Like x 2