TLY Update - Week 4

Discussion in 'The Longest Yard' started by HotRod, Mar 4, 2013.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Off To A Rough Start

QB Phillip Rivers (SD) : 37-71, 720 yds, 5 TD, 11 INT
    Rivers has been throwing the ball to the defense more than his new target Jeremy Maclin. Throwing for only 52% completion percentage with the kind of weapons he has is surprising. He needs to get it together or it may be time to look for his replacement in SD.

QB Cam Newton (CAR): 63-102, 588 yds, 4 TD, 10 INT
    Fresh off signing a huge 6 year, $118 M contract extension, Newton has folks in Carolina worrying that the money has caused him to lose his motivation. Word is that Cam has been seen in the strip clubs more than in the film room. In order for the Panthers to compete with the Falcons in the NFC South, Cam needs to step up his play or else he'll just be another on the long list of guys whose career goes downhill after getting paid.

HB Zoey Hood (NYJ): 51 rush, 100 yds, TD
    Yes the Jets are still looking for a QB, but they drafted Hood to help give the offense a jolt. He's had trouble getting past the line of scrimmage early in the season averaging a measly 2 yards per carry. Will Hood be known as another 1st round bust for the Jets?

HB Maurice Jones-Drew (CIN): 39 rush, 95 yds, TD
    The Bengals are 0-3, and Andy Dalton hasn't been getting any help from MJD. Dalton has been forced to throw the ball a lot due to the fact that the run game has been virtually non-existent. Usually one of the more consistent backs in recent years, is this a sign that Jones-Drew is breaking down from all those carries?

WR Brandon Marshall (CHI): 9 receptions, 77 yds, TD
    Only 9 catches and we are 3 games into the season. He usually has that many in one game. What is going on with the Bears offense? Is Marshall not getting open or is Jay Cutler not getting him the ball? Rookie TE has been getting more looks early in the season and Marshall has voiced his displeasure over his lack of targets. Could this become a major locker room issue as the season progresses?

WR Jeremy Maclin (SD): 6 receptions, 112 yds, TD
    The Chargers paid a high price to get Maclin from the Eagles and had plans on him being the number one WR in the Chargers offense. So far he's failed to mesh with his new team. With Aaron Hernandez garnering a lot of attention by opposing defenses, Maclin should be getting a lot of single coverage but his QB hasn't been finding him.

Top Rookies

1. WR Brandon Brooks (CLE): 21 catches, 380 yds, 4 TD
    2. TE Miles Hall (CHI): 15 receptions, 268 yds, 2 TD
    3. TE Byron Steele (BAL): 16 receptions, 207 yds, 3 TD
    4. QB Wes Crane (SEA): 56-96, 963 yds, 9 TD, 5 INT
    5. CB Eddie Jones (IND): 10 tackles, 3 INT

• Like Like x 5
  3. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Brandon Brooks is looking like he has a really good connection with Josh Freeman. The Browns' offseason moves look to be paying off early in the season.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

I'm having a really hard time getting anything going offensively on the ground, it drives me insane. I have tried everything, just getting crushed by seemingly better defenses on every run-type I mix into the game. Very frustrating for someone who enjoys running the ball.

5. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

In New Orleans, the story is QB play. This team should(a) be 2-1, but the QB play has been terrible. After thrwoing 7 INTS vs the Falcons, Patrick Ledbetter followed it up with a nice game against the Eagles. Hopefully this means he has settled in and is ready to guide this offense. Sproles continues to be Mr. Everything. He is as versitlie as they come. Next game against division rival Buccs will be a big game. We can go 2-2 with a win. More importantly Ledbetter can build on what he accomplished last week.

6. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah that's surprising, looks like you have a pretty good line. I guarantee it's just a case of you missing the running lane. I had that issue last season, this season I'm waiting to see the blocking develop before hitting that speed burst so that I can make a more efficient cut. I'd suggest just looking back at the recording and you'll probably see where you could have picked up a few more yards.

7. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Suprisingly my success this season is from defense. I think I have held every opponent to under 250yds. I too am struggling with the running game. Should have just paid Turner. Dropped Snelling after his 7 carry 5 yd debut as the new starter and picked up Jacobs. Jacobs is okay, Best still gives me that homerun potential, but not an everydown back.

I think if my offense can pick up the pace I will be back in the playoffs and could finish with 10-12 wins.

8. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

That's a huge advantage, being able to go back on critique yourself on the recording is huge.

9. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    True, now that you have added Winslow I'm interested to see what kind of numbers your offense will put up. Going to be tough to cover all of those guys.

10. Hokie Effect

Yep, Winslow makes his debut tonight!! But I think I am also seeing people just getting better on defense in general. I think playing defense takes a bit longer to figure out. Most anyone can pick up playing offense. If you look at year 1 stats, they were insane!!! So my offense which was once dominant is having to really work for yards now. We also start to learn player tendancies. For example some guys revert to curls/outs when they see loose man coverage, I was user controlling the CB to the favorable side and able to maunally break up passes that the cpu usually can't.

11. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Good point, will need to review the tape. I know many times I just run right into the back of my line hoping for the gap to open.

12. Ace847

Ace847 Walk On

The Chargers have had a tough start to their season playing two solid playoff teams (Steelers, Raiders) and ten of Rivers interceptions came in those two games! Rivers has played really well at times the last couple of years but is very streaky. I agree, we need to get Maclin involved more in the offense but we hope to establish our running game early because in passing predictable situations Rivers gets picked all day long! Atlanta is going to be a huge test for us tonight and coach Ski knows he's on the hot-seat in SD and is desperate for a win. SD edged out the Falcons the last time they played in season 1 but these teams have changed dramatically since then. I expect a close game tonight. Good work HotRod!

13. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Chiefs could easily be 3-0 but also could easily be 0-3. The defense is the star and Rookie Sensation Tyler Swoosh is being a complete stud. May start using him, maybe not. Haven't decided. Big one vs the Browns. I'm just hoping Vince Young gets shit together on offense...

14. Hokie Effect

This is Madden not NCAA buddy. Find yourself a real QB.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

He has won me 2 games and nearly won me a third. So he's doing just fine

16. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

When i first got the hauppage, i think it was sometime late in the madden 11 cycle, i thought it would be great to go back and watch the videos to see what i did wrong and watch tendencies of my opponent. I found out for me, it was hurting more than helping me as I started watching videos and expecting things and telegraphing what was going to happen, so i stopped. Im more comfortable not knowing anything bout my opponent and just adjusting as the games go.

I still use my recorder only for the purpose of putting together a highlight reel or to have evidence if an opponent said i did something wrong or unsim, i can show them what really happened. I got accused of running man 85% of the time and then i charted my defensive plays and it ended up being 60/40 zone to man, so i use it for those purposes now. I dont even go back to the video, i make highlight reel searching for the scoring plays, turnovers, and sacks and then delete.

17. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, I don't really watch my old games at all, but in the case of my struggling run game I def went back to see if it was really lack of blocking or just me just running to the wrong hole. It really helped bc now my run game is significantly better due to me being more patient. I cam into this league having played NCAA primarily and not playing Madden user games at all so it was definitely an adjustment.

18. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

Raiders off to another great start hopefully building momentum for another deep playoff run. As you can see, DMAC has been the workhorse of my offense through the running game. Pryor starting off strong limiting turnovers and being efficient. Had a big game 2 with 4 TDs, but really, the offense goes through DMAC and the passing game is dependent on the success of the running game. Finished #2 in rushing last year, looking to do the same over #1 this year as well. Picked up Gates who hasn't done much so far this year, but being out there is a threat. Traded Moore who had hands of stone and picked up Senat has been a good move as Senat has already paid off with some big plays and actually catching passes.

The defense has been stellar causing turnovers and getting some sacks. Still need to improve on the coverage side, but opponents went straight to passing as they fell behind so more opportunities for my defenders to get burnt. The run defense still the strong point on the defensive end, if I can make my opponent one dimensional, makes it easier on the defense.

19. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

How'd you go about charting your plays? Did you just do it after the game or during? I'm looking into doing this, but not sure the best way to do it so it detracts from the actual gameplay.

20. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I think you can put the 49ers offense under the "off to a rough start." We've already fired the offensive coordinator after just one offensive touchdown through the first two weeks. Getting two offensive TDs in week three was quite an improvement!!

21. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

it was after the game since i had a recording device. Simply, i did it manually once the game was over and i had my game recorded using hauppage.

22. Masler

Masler Moderator

Been a really rough start in Houston. I am reluctant to use Schaub but I might have to promote him back to starter as Arron Starks develops a bit more. Interceptions and lack of clutch defense seem to be a huge issue for the Texans right now. The run game and pass rush have seen moderate success though, 0-3 will be tough to bounce back from.

23. DU55

DU55 Walk On

Great post!
    The Bengals have struggled in every aspect of the game. The running game, which had flourished in times past, has been terrible. In week 4 is resurged and hopefully will stay that way. The addition in free agency of Allan at LB has helped to solidify the defense which played better week 4 than in the seasons other games. I've yet to miss the playoffs in TLY, and I don't plan to start lol.

24. ConiglioSG

ConiglioSG Walk On

We (I) suck big time. I am loving my new QB (wish he was faster though) and our new WR that arrived from SD. Hes replacing Maclin with no problems and he is easily my favorite receiver along with Jackson. Rookie Swain is doing fine, but he doesn't see much play time as he is our 3rd receiver.