TMFL: Current State and Future Discussion

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Shaun Mason, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    TMFL,

I've said for a few days that I would outline my thoughts for the direction of Madden going forward on TSO. As many of you know, Madden has long been the ugly sister on this site. Frankly it has often been that way due to leadership, the wide spread opinion that the game was inferior to NCAA AND the fact that the online tools left something to be desired. My personal opinion is that Madden 13 is going to be very, very popular next year. On TSO we have a very loyal group of dedicated gamers...very few of them play Madden. That's been one of the reasons that the TMFL has struggled. We've seen a similar phenomenon with NCAA 12 due to the troubles it has had. In the past, spots in good leagues were at a premium so we could afford to be selective. That hasn't been the case this release cycle, and it has never been the case for Madden. Why is this important? The inability to be selective means that there is not a nucleus of members who "get" the direction we have established as a group at TSO, which has bred a different mentality in the TMFL. Many of the members were recruited off-site and only play in this league.

In many ways the league has struggled.
    • There was virtually no content and interaction in the league.
    • Turnover has been incredible.
    • There has been little accountablity for not meeting expectations.
    As a member of management, I've noticed this. I tried to get involved, as did a handful of the admin team and a group of established members ( RynoAid, Emmdotfrisk, Jmustang1968, ryty32, BobJr ). Collectively, we've had much discussion about the ills of the TMFL. We've discussing just shutting the league down, kicking out people, etc. My personal opinion of the league in it's current state is very low, which I've been very vocal about.Just for the sake of clarity, I'll try to explain some things I've found curious.

I've been playing in the TMFL for about a season and a half. In that time, I've only played 10-12 user games due to going to EA, being sick, etc. Of those games, a large portion (~50%) have been against Jmustang1968 (1) and BobJr. Of the remaining half, I would consider 2 of the 5-6 to be a straight game with no issues.So, that leaves me with roughly 30% of the games I've played here where my opponent had moderate to severe issues with either their gameplay or their attitude. I know 30% doesn't seem like much, but remember...I'M AN ADMIN. Typically I get the best of everyone. That leads me to believe that some members simply don't understand what is wanted.Also, I've reached out to other members to attempt to get candid feedback about gameplay and attitude. Virtually everyone had serious complaints. If you are reading this saying, "I've never had an issue" or something similar, consider the fact that you may be part of the problem. What does this mean going forward?

Going forward:

I said in the last discussion thread that people need to start considering this an audition for Madden 13. At TSO, we will have a top level league in some form, we haven't worked out the specifics but I assure you that the league I play Madden 13 will consist of good members. As a TSO member, it should be your goal to be in this league. Not everyone will make it, and if demand is high enough we will create feeder leagues just like we did when NCAA was in it's infancy on the site.My goal is to have this league be THE example for Online Franchises when the Game Changers return to EA post Madden 13. Many of you don't know this, but TSO's NCAA leagues are among the finest examples of long running examples of Online Dynasty world wide. We are told that constantly by EA. It's the reason that Drifterbub and I keep getting to go back to EA to provide ideas and feedback. How are we going to get there? Regardless of if you are upset by the current upheaval in the TMFL or not, this is the most active period the franchise has experienced in a long time. People WANT change...again, if you don't you might be part of the problem.

From now on my expectations of TMFL members is going to change:
    • We've said this before, but I'll reiterate: Content and activity is a requirement on TSO. At the minimum it is REQUIRED to do game summaries after each game, CPU or HUM. If you play the computer, you must do a summary, if you play a human opponent, the winner will do the recap.
    • Sportsmanship will improve: Treat your opponent with the respect they deserve. Remember the Golden Rule at all times.
    • As a member of the TMFL, you are responsible for the decisions of your league mates. If something is questionable, the expectation is that you question it. There will be NO public flaming, it will be handled via PM and it will involve me.
    • You will play your games, or make a reasonable effort to do so. We all have lives, but it should be expected that games are going to be played.
    • Scheduling games will be done on the forums ONLY.
    • The expectation is that we are adults and as such can discuss things as such. Many people here have game play issues. I want to teach, not punish. Please help me help others. If I am unsure about something, I will confer with Drifterbub, as he is impartial and not in the league. He will give a honest, fair answer. If you question my game play, that's fine.
    ===

Discussion Points:
    • How should we enforce the above? Personally, I think the model the FIFA leagues use here is fantastic. For the unfamiliar, if you don't meet an expectation, you are assigned a "strike". Three strikes and you are gone.
    • I would like a way to honestly evaluate each member. I don't get to play everyone. How do you guys feel about spending a few minutes after each game to give me overall impressions via PM? It will not be publicly shared, nor will I punish people.
    • I know many of you want specific ways to improve...consider the site rules as a starting point, not as the ending point. Meaning, don't try to push as far as you can while staying inside the rules. Consider if what you are doing is fair and if you would like it done to you.
    ===

This is the place for questions or concerns. I can take criticism, so if you have it get it out. There is no sense sniping at me via PM's etc, if you don't like something be and adult and discuss it.

===

Please everyone read and sign off. If you don't want to be involved going forward, now is a good time to find the door.

Signed
    Keller
    Emmdotfrisk
    bjbdahitman
    RynoAid
    Shaun Mason
    TurboTrigga
    I Peench
    The Natural
    Gho5t9
    HovaTheGodMC
    NDCOLTS1979
    fuzzyl0gic
    hoppedupford
    kdpnutter
    antcap24
    Matrix Monkey
    JSimms
    capp34
    GovernedSpy
    mmorgan184
    brizz98
    SimFBallCritic

Unsigned
    -Cougars-
    AzureEffect
    Dtown
    Dave Diggler

Quit
    XLenceofXQtion

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

I'm all in favor to any new rule or change this lg goes to. I just want to play madden and if that means tweaking my game style to fit TSO's new rules ill do it

3. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    My friend, the rules aren't new.:)

4. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

That really seems great to me. I would have no problem giving u feedback after every game since i am always on here it seems.

PS. CPU cheats lol

5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Signed.

My only question is what will my role be, going forward? Not necessarily for M13, I'm not worried about that yet, but for the remainder of this cycle. You've said yourself that even I have issues - and I don't think its right for the owners to think that I'm free and clear from gameplay faults. I have deficiencies and things I need to work on like everyone else. I hope you all understand that.

That being said, it leaves me to question where I really fit in for the rest of this year. Largely, I still make a ton of decisions involving the league and its players. Maybe its best to discuss this privately, I'm not sure, but it needs to take place nonetheless. The offseason is approaching and there's a lot of work to be done, very soon.

6. Ghost

Discussion Points:
    • How should we enforce the above? Personally, I think the model the FIFA leagues use here is fantastic. For the unfamiliar, if you don't meet an expectation, you are assigned a "strike". Three strikes and you are gone.
    • I would like a way to honestly evaluate each member. I don't get to play everyone. How do you guys feel about spending a few minutes after each game to give me overall impressions via PM? It will not be publicly shared, nor will I punish people.
    • I know many of you want specific ways to improve...consider the site rules as a starting point, not as the ending point. Meaning, don't try to push as far as you can while staying inside the rules. Consider if what you are doing is fair and if you would like it done to you.
    ===

This is the place for questions or concerns. I can take criticism, so if you have it get it out. There is no sense sniping at me via PM's etc, if you don't like something be and adult and discuss it.

===

Please everyone read and sign off. If you don't want to be involved going forward, now is a good time to find the door.

Signed
    Shaun Mason[/quote]
    Also i can dig this not hard using 30min to hour of my time to do this

7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I have already begun a sort of tracking system with respect to owners. We can add/modify whatever you need and use it to keep track of everyone's activity or complaints that way.

I have also volunteered to evaluate each members gameplay but given that I may not be the best candidate for that, you may want to go a different route. I understand that it would be tedious, but I honestly feel like that is the best route to go. Additionally, the 3v3 games have been a pretty good way to breakup things and people have liked those in the past. While that won't give you a great idea of how some people play, it is another option.

8. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

I highly recommend a questionnaire of sorts being completed at the end of user games. With normal sim and sportsmanship questions. These should be done via PM and once enough of a positive sample is collected on a certain player, this is no longer required for that player.

It worked for me, and allowed for private feedback with what needed improved upon.

Just my $.02

• Like Like x 2
  9. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Well said, Shaun. Signed and understood.

10. Ghost

Signed and understood

11. The Natural

The Natural Public Enemy #1

Signed. Can we post up Ant's gameplay guidelines as a sticky?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  12. TurboTrigga

TurboTrigga Walk On

I'm the new guy here, so I'm very unaware of the issues as they exist. I just know that no matter who you are, they best approach to online leagues one can take is knowing that we are all in glass houses. Competition can bring the worst out in people; especially if you don't personally know the person you are competing with.

Also the definition of sim has always been similar to the meaning of life; no one can describe what sim actually is. I have seem it numberous times over the many years of playing online. If a person plays like you play, its sim. If they don't, its not. Hell, there is a fine like in the actual NFL between genius and incompetent among coaches and gameplans.

In my opinion, sim is the wrong word to be using. Should be focusing on "abusing gameplay". Being sim is a "style" but abuse is more easily quantitative of continuing to go back to certain "money" plays, routes, formations, etc. This is where people get annoyed by a players style and call them non-sim.

Signed.

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

If you go to the site information and look at the NCAA rules, most of that stuff has been covered and has been there for quite some time now...

14. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Signed and Understood

15. The Natural

Yes but his guidelines are much more specific to this year's game and includes things that aren't banned but should be limited within the course of a game.

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Which falls under the mix up your playcalling and dont rely on money plays. It is all moderation and avoid abusing anything. It is hard to make concrete rules on it, because different people have different views on what is excessive or acceptable. Different situations call for different playcalling as well. As long as you have the mindset to play well and make an effort, I think 99% of the time that will be properly reflected and conveyed to your opponent and you wont have a problem.

17. The Natural

Not going to rehash the same argument from yesterday, the points have already been made.

18. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

ya and yours were bad. This isnt a tough concept to grasp.

You know what a league with a lot of rules tell me? It tells me that it doesnt trust its members...

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

The rule is easy: "DON'T BE A DOUCHEBAG"

Learn it, live it, love it, I always say.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    BTW, not reading and signing this will have turrible consequences.:)

21. Masler

Masler Moderator

Signed and Understood. Glad to hear TSO is respected worldwide, let's make TMFL live up to that.

22. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Signed, sounds good to me.

23. bjbdahitman

bjbdahitman Andy Reid to KC... Finally a real coach...

Read understood and signed

24. hoppedupford

hoppedupford Walk On

signed and understood

25. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I understand, and with evaluating players would you like it to start for our Week 15 games or when would you like it to be. I have no problem evaluating Fuzzy's game with me yesterday. It was a knockout drag out affair, really good game and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would be happy to fill out a questionnaire on it.

Shaun Mason
    fuzzyl0gic