Archived TMFL Draft Insider Season 2

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by I Peench, Oct 26, 2012.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Mayock's Top 10 v.2.1
    [​IMG]
    Good morning, folks! It's that time again, as I release my top 10 prospects for the 2014 NFL Draft. Though we still have a ways to go, it's never too early to get a look in at what we have in store for us come April. A deep WR group headlines my initial top 10.​
    1. HB Salim Johnson (5’10 204), Rutgers​
    [​IMG]
    Johnson is an explosive athlete and downhill runner who shows excellent vision, patience, and burst through gaps. He runs with the ferocity of Jim Brown and the grace of Ladanian Tomlinson. While not the biggest running back, he sure runs hard. An early Heisman hopeful, Johnson will have to stay healthy to remain atop my big board.

2. DE Nick Barnes (6’4 275), Wisconsin

[​IMG]

The more tape I watch, the more I love this kid. Utilizes an excellent swim move and violent hands to get off blocks and wreak havoc in the backfield. Barnes is savvy player with good size, and is excellent at setting the edge against the run. As complete a defensive end as this class has to offer.

3. WR Marvis Greene (6’4 231), Duke

[​IMG]

Height/weight/speed specimen who has lit up the ACC for the past 2 years. Randy Moss-esque in his ability to get vertical and make a play on the ball in the air. Greene can flat out jump out of the stadium. I have expressed concerns over his character, as he seems to come across as a bit of a diva. Greene’s been routinely seen chewing teammates out in a disrespectful manner, a la Jay Cutler. It’ll be interesting to monitor his maturation process as this season moves along.

4. QB Arnez Boston (6’5 228), Texas A&M

[​IMG]

Boston is perhaps the most intriguing prospect in this class. The Aggies have become a Quarterback Factory, producing top 10 QBs in consecutive years (Tannehill and Hendrix). While some may question my decision to grade him this high despite not starting a single game in his career, Boston has an outrageous skillset that screams “game-breaking”. In fact, Boston was in a dead heat with Hendrix over the starting spot last season before violating team rules during spring practice. If he can keep his head on straight, there’s no telling how good this guy can be. My take? Better than his two predecessors.

5. WR Tavaris Dawkins (6’1 203), Cal

[​IMG]

There’s nothing scouts like more than a good bloodline, and that’s exactly what they have in Tavaris Dawkins. Nephew of the former Eagle great Brian Dawkins, Tavaris is a fleet-footed wideout with soft hands and a tenacious demeanor. He attacks the ball in the air, runs crisp routes, and hardly ever drops a pass. What I love about this kid is his willingness to go across the middle and take a few shots.

6. LT Alonzo Wilson (6’5 315), Baylor

[​IMG]

Wilson is one of those kids that is solid across the board, but doesn’t wow you with any particular facet of his game. I grade him slightly lower than I did former Baylor Bear Jason Smith, as he’s just not quite as athletic or technically sound. Wilson is a hoss, and tears up the weight room. He’ll need to work on his footwork in order to justify a top 10 pick this April.

7. WR Ben Hutson (6’3 208), Michigan

[​IMG]

Hutson’s not a guy who will jump out at you on tape, but he flat out produces. As smooth a route runner as you’ll find, Hutson’s exceptionally high football IQ and incredible hands make him a nightmare for opposing secondaries. Don’t let him be overshadowed by a very strong WR class, this kid can ball.

8. DT DJ Grime (6’5 325), Nebraska

[​IMG]

Grimes is a strong, gritty interior player who uses his massive frame and superior strength to bully offensive lineman. He is as good a run stuffer as Bubba McCoy, but isn’t particularly useful as a pass rusher.

9. DE Daryll Hardy (6’5 310), Kansas State

[​IMG]

Hardy will be a great addition to a 34 scheme, as he uses his big frame, hands, and tremendous strength to overwhelm opposing tackles. His tape is awfully reminiscent of Haloti Ngata – the only other big man I’ve seen move like this kid can.

10. DT Kris Tolbert (6’4 297), LSU

[​IMG]

Born and raised on the Bayou, Tolbert is just an old school, blue collared player who will bring his lunch pail to work every day. Strong kid who’s lived in the weight room in college, his motor never stops. A deceptively good athlete, he can get after the quarterback and shut down the run.

Well folks, that wraps up the first edition of my top 10 for the 2014 NFL Draft. Be on the look out for my Path to the Draft partner Charles Davis to be releasing his top 10 shortly. Rumor has it, his differs from mine quite a bit.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 13
  2. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

3. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Nice work. Easier to follow too with it's own thread :p

• Like Like x 2
  4. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Most definitely is!

5. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Nice twist on the Dawkins' family tree. Good stuff Steve.

6. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Davis' Top 10 V.2.1
    [​IMG]

Good evening draft enthusiasts! With Mike Mayock releasing his top 10, I thought I'd go ahead and throw mine out there as well. There seems to be quite a bit of difference between the two, even though we all know he is both smarter and more accurate in his assessments. Make sure to comment or send emails to thewhitestguyonthenflnetwork@nflnetwork.com with thoughts!

(following top 10 and comments belongs to Kasper. Putting this in ridiculously small font because that's always what that douche does while giving credit to others.)

1. LT Alonzo Wilson - 6'5 316 - Baylor
    [​IMG]

Wilson instantly reminds many of Jason Smith- and he is just that kind of athlete. For being 6'5 and 300+ Wilson moves great and has phenomenal technique for a kid his age. If he can perform this season he should be a top 3 pick no problem.

2. LOLB Corey Boals - 6'3 239 - Navy
    [​IMG]

This could be a very interesting story line, as Boals is arguably the best defensive player in this draft- but his deployment could certainly throw a wrench in the plans for any team looking at him. I'm not sure guys can even get out of that commitment (or if he would even want to)- should be a very interesting story line to keep an eye out for.

3. RE Nick Barnes - 6'4 275 - Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Barnes is a massive presence that reminds many scouts of current Raiders standout Richard Seymour. He has remarkable power and overpowers any offensive lineman he lines up with in college. Will that power translate to the NFL (ala Suh?) or will he under performer against the elite? Keep an eye out for this kid this year, he is going to make some noise in the Big Ten.

4. DT Kris Tolbert - 6'4 297 - LSU
    [​IMG]

Tolbert is just an all around good looking prospect at the defensive tackle spot. He looks to fit in well in an attacking style 4-3 or Tampa 2 defense-- something that lets him utilize his athleticism on the inside. He has a knack for keeping pursuit on the ball and always being around the ball. LSU is starting out in the top ten this year, so he should have plenty of games to showcase his talent.

5. QB Arnez Boston - 6'5 238 - Texas A&M
    [​IMG]

The A&M quartertback factory continues to churn, and Arnez Boston is the next in line. He was a five star recruit out of high school and has been a highly anticipated player in College Station- the only problem is that he has been two 1st round QB's in Tannehill and Hendrix. Can he live up to the hype and be the next in line, or will he crunch under the pressure of being a projected lotto pick?

6. RE Daryll Hardy - 6'5 310 - Kansas State
    [​IMG]

Hardy is all you could want in a 3-4 defensive end and has shown to be a force in his time in Manhattan. He is young so the sky is the limit for him. You know you are getting a good ball player when he comes from the school of Bill Snyder- Hardy fits the bill.

7. SS Dee Greene - 6'1 187 - Duke
    [​IMG]

Greene is already drawing comparisons to Ed Reed, so you know this hype train is only going to continue to grow. Greene is evidence of the recent revival Duke football has undertaken under Coach David Cutcliffe- and he has been a great leader the past four years from his safety position. I look for Greene to be a guy that gets a lot of headlines this season as it isn't every year Duke is churning out top ten talent.

8. WR Ben Hutson - 6'3 208 - Michigan
    [​IMG]

Hutson is a big target and has been putting up stats the past couple seasons in Ann Arbor. He reminds many of a bigger Eric Decker (along with more speed and quickness). Michigan is another team that is going to live this season in the spotlight, so look for Hutson to be highly scrutinized. Last year's draft showed that teams aren't scared to take a good WR high in the draft- so if he is legit he will go quick.

9. CB Blake Sanders - 5'11 192 - Nebraska
    [​IMG]

Sanders has quietly become one of the nation's top defensive backs- coming off a big All American campaign last year at Nebraska. He will see some good receivers, and his match up against Ben Hutson should be a great battle to watch. That game could make or break both of these player's draft stock.

10. QB Daniel McClain - 6'5 223 - Maryland
    [​IMG]

McClain is a guy that is floating under the radar a bit this season with the hype around Arnez Boston and Jimbo Sampson of Ole Miss. I think McClain has all the tools needed to be just as good, if not better, than both of them. He has the size that NFL scouts dream of for the position, and showed an accurate arm last season while leading Maryland to an ACC crown and BCS bowl appearance. Maryland's contest with West Virginia in week 4 is on a Thursday night, so Daniel will have a chance to display his talents for the nation-- look for his stock to make a big jump up or down on that night.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Great Job Kasp and Steve

8. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    love the email address....

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

[​IMG]
    Leroy Johnson Has Scouts Drooling Over His Athleticism

[​IMG]

TMFL iNsider - Leroy Johnson has been dominating defenses since his days at Hoover High School in Hoover Alabama, and the 6'4 240 pound match up nightmare has continued that success since he first stepped on the field for Troy University. Johnson has seen a range of projections since his breakout Sophomore season in which he caught 55 balls for 1200 yards and 9 touchdowns. After his junior campaign, some experts had him pegged as high as a 2nd rounder before he decided to return for a final year. Heading into the season he is a first team All American, and is a big reason Troy is starting just outside the top 25 in most polls. Let's take a look at some of things that are contributing to Leroy being compared to guys like Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, and Jermaine Gresham.

The first thing a lot of scouts point to is his route running- it isn't perfect, but it is something he takes great pride in. Coaches say he is always on the field after practice working on his timing with the quarterbacks and making sure he knows the plays inside and out. He pointed to his experience playing with former Trojan Jerrell Jernigan as a big reason he realized how important routes are.

"Jerrell has never been a big guy- so he always stressed to me how important it is to run good routes. If that little guy can get open as often as he did- there isn't any reason I can't," noted Johnson. "Anytime you have a leader like that around on the team that is willing to take his time to work with younger guys like I was at the time-- that's just something you can't even put a true value on.. it's priceless."

Another thing that has gotten scouts eyes are his hands- this is where he draws his most "flattering" comparison: Jason Witten.

"Oh man, the comparisons to Witten are a little far fetched I think, haha," commented Johnson. "He is a guy I have tried to mold my game around since I started playing football. To be compared to your idol is something that truly makes you want to sit back and appreciate how much you've been blessed. It's incredible."

Johnson is exactly what any quarterback wants in a tight end- someone that is going to catch everything you throw to him and fearlessly go for the ball. The later part of that sentence brings us to the final point in why scouts love Leroy Johnson: his fearlessness. We aren't even going to ramble on about this point, just take a look at this play from his Senior year at Hoover High School- note that this was a 2nd round playoff game for his team.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

P.s. - HUGE thanks to my man TEClemson53 for the new Insider Graphic!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Great job to both of you.

TMFL is getting better with age.

12. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

This is great stuff guys!

13. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    I will trade up to get him just so i have a dude named leroy on my time

14. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

That graphic is sick. Good stuff guys.

15. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Alright I have my hands on a copy of NCAA once again-- anything you guys want to see? Could use some content around here.