TMFL Madden 11 League Info

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by HotRod, Aug 9, 2010.

1. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    TMFL Madden 11 League Info

TMFL League Information

It’s time for some NFL football! We’re back with some old faces and plenty of new ones, hopefully this will be an active group that will be able to stick around and play several seasons. Within this post will be pertinent information about how the league will be ran this year. Please post that you have read an understand or if you have any question and/or suggestions.

We are tentatively scheduled to begin the season Wednesday Aug 18th

Advances

A problem last season was that we had many delays waiting for people to get their games in and a lot of times gave to much leeway which held the league up way too often. There will be none of that this year. In order to move at a reasonable pace we will be having a set schedule. There will be a calendar detailing when each advance will be occurring for the season which will enable people to schedule their games. We will start out with a 72 hour advance schedule. If we find that this is not feasible for the majority of games to be played we can make it 96 hour advances, but I hope that is not necessary. Advances will be occurring at or around 10 PM EST on advance days.

Activity

We did a terrible job in this department last year. Whether it was people going M.I.A. from time to time, or just not posting any content about their team, it really hampered the league. That will not be tolerated this year. I fully expect all league members to contribute something to the league. There are many ways you can contribute. Game recaps, team previews, team news, there are plenty of options. I’m not asking for several posts a day, but at least show that you are interested in the league and stuff that is going on. I have asked JerseyReign to contribute some content in the league. I will also me doing some league news/power rankings as well when time permits. Anybody else that is interested in doing some weekly content please let me know.

Gameplay

Last season the big issue was too much passing to the running back in the flats, I’m not sure how much the AI has been fixed for that but I will be paying close attention to the aspect of the game. That means over abuse of passes to the flats and RB screens will not be tolerated AT ALL. If you here on this site it is because of our reputation of being a SIM community so please keep that mind when playing your games. As we play more full games we can make some additions to allow for the best gameplay experience for all players.

Rosters/Free Agency

We will be using the first roster update following release. I’d like to get this thing going as soon as possible, but still allow for people to get used to their teams. Usually the first roster update occurs shortly after release so we should be able to get a good week or so in of practice games.

In terms of free agency we will be using a similar system as last year as it worked fairly well and was not difficult to organize. The system allowed for a lot of talent to be available in the offseason and helps to even teams out. There will be some tweaks however.
    First of all before we start off with season once we will do a free agent draft of the players that will be in the free agent list. The draft order will be determined by team overall rating (lowest to highest). The plan is to do a 2 round FA draft.
    In the offseason we will be doing our free agency movement. Due to there not being any salary cap in the online franchise we have to set up a system to cover free agency needs.

Free Agency System

Our system utilizes free agent tags instead of a created cap or point system. Each team will have 5 permanent tags at their expense to use for the duration of the league. New this season will be a sixth tag which will be a transitional tag and only keeps a player for 1 season before he becomes a free agent again, you may not use the transitional tag on the same player in consecutive seasons. Also different in this year is a change in who is eligible for free agency. Before we did things by age, but with rookies coming in at anywhere from 21-25 years old, it doesn’t seem fair that the older ones would hit free agency sooner even though they came in at the same time as the younger FAs. With that in mind we will be determining free agency by years pro. Whenever players hit a years pro milestone, they will become a free agent. The milestones are as follows: 4, 7, 10, 12 and 14 years. In order to avoid having your player hit the FA draft you must use a tag on him. This is where you have to be strategic. You don’t want to waste all your tags in once season because then you won’t be able to hold onto players in subsequent seasons. After the Super Bowl we will be having our free agent draft

In the interest of making things as clear as possible about the tag system, here are some FAQs

Who qualifies as a Free Agent?
    The Free Agent list is made from the player’s years pro. If the player is 4, 7, 10, 12 and 14 years pro then they will be a FA after the season. For players 15+ years pro, you can release that player into free agency at any time.

What is the tag system?
    Each team has 5 tags plus a transitional tag to use for the duration of this franchise. This system has been used in franchises in the past and it ensures decent roster turnover from season to season. This requires you to manage your roster wisely. Towards the end of the season you will be asked to designate the players you want to tag leading into the offseason. You will only name players that are entering free agency for that offseason. You do not have to use all 5 tags in the offseason (wouldn’t be smart to do so anyway); hell if there is no one you want back you don’t have to use any of them. There will be a designated thread for each team to declare their tags. Also you need to update your roster management thread with your tags as well.

When a player gets tagged that tag stays on him until the next time he enters free agency or is traded to another team. If a tagged player is traded to another team, his new team then takes responsibility for that tag so in order for that trade to go through then that team must have a free tag to use.

How is the Free Agent draft done?

The FA draft will be done after the Super Bowl before the NFL Draft. The FA draft order will be based on the team record and overall rating. The way we will conduct the draft is by having teams submit a list of the players they would like to draft. I will be doing this by groups of 8 teams at a time. The first FA draft will last 3 rounds. You do have the option to skip your pick if you want.

This part is important. If one of the FAs from your team gets selected you then have the option to pull one of your team’s free agents off the free agent list and bring him back to your team. Basically at most you will lose half of your free agents if you take advantage of this. Of course you can decide you don’t want to bring any guys back after if one of your FAs is selected. Lists of the order of players you want to bring back will be requested during the end of the season. After this draft is over any FAs from your team that are not selected go back to your team unless you choose not to bring them back.

Trades

We’re going to keep this simple. No more than 3 players/picks per trade per team. Only 1st and 2nd round picks are tradable. You cannot trade more than 8 players in the season.

There will be a trade committee consisting on four TMFL members and myself as the tiebreaking vote. I will be inviting members into the trade committee this week.

2. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

HR, if you need any help as far as content (Like keeping up with FA system) I could help. Just let me know

3. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Thanks Perry, that would be great. I'm probably going to be setting up a gogle docs spreadsheet this week and will give you access.

4. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    bump

5. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

I read it, I understand....72 hours tho....smh, you all I need is 24!

6. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Read.

I would preferably like to talk with someone about how FA is done and all that as I believe it is a little bit confusing.

7. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Keller just send me a FR today. GT: HotRod9228. I'll explain it to ya.

8. spliff616

spliff616 Walk On

I have read and understand the rules, for the most part. A quick questions regarding the "transitional tag." If I apply this tag to a player who is entering their 4th year, I can keep him but then does he become a FA the following year or in Year 7?

9. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    He's becomes a FA the following year.

10. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Guys I will post a FA scenario of some sorts later.

11. spliff616

spliff616 Walk On

Thanks for the clarification.

12. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

yup read and by the way The reason Ike is free is cause his baby momma spends soooooo much time at my house!!!!

13. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

just for clarificaton- is it after the player competes his 4th yr or he is going into his 4th yr?

14. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

when do we expect all of last season posts to be cleared so we start posting info for this yr?

15. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    I'm not allowed to delete posts so I'm probably gonna make an archive thread and put everything in there.

16. priestmvp

priestmvp FOOTBALL!!!!

17. 1ke

1ke D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

You keep sayin this....but you always fail to tell everybody how much you pay me for her services! lol

18. Austin811

Austin811 Go Dbacks!

19. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

This is a really important piece of the FA puzzle I think people need to fully understand.

I talked with Hotrod last night at length about FA to ensure I have a good idea of whats going on and I wanted to highlight (albeit again) this point.

I'll just use the example Hotrod gave me.

Say you've got 8 players coming up that will be free agents. The most you can lose of those 8 players is 4. That's because every time one of your players is snatched up by someone else in the FA draft, you have the option to pull one of your players from FA. Make sense?

20. score23

score23 Walk On

All good

21. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

At what price? Lets take your example I have the 1st pick in the fa draft I choose someone from the bears the next pick in the draft is you you take someone from my team how does that work out do I still get to take a player back or because I took a FA is that the switch?

22. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    Whenever a team selects one of your free agents you get to bring one back.

23. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

but do I forfeit the chance to bring one back if I choose a FA 1st?

24. HotRod

Featured Threads:
    No, you picking a FA has no effect on that.

25. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On