TMFL Podcast 7

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

2. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

Sweet.... something to do tomorrow while working!

3. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

For the record. Lions 3 games; Packers 1. We played 3 games last season, all decided by last second scores. Last year was weird being the Packers. I think I have them close to my liking. Still a few parts and we should be challenging for the SB every year.[​IMG] Atlanta blew my wheels off, but most of my PvP games were heart breaking loses. Go Pack Go!

4. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

I just listened to the podcast, nice work. The Ravens had another crazy game this week against the Eagles. They had a big lead, but almost blew it. I can't wait for the Browns game, should shape up the division.

5. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I lost to Jags due to a couple reasons...

1. I shouldnt have played when I did. I was home sick from work and drugged up and drowsy = slider adjustment

2. it was raining and it was turnover city. Parris kept overthrowing every other pass by 10-15 yards for ints. Parris also had a fumble and AP had a fumble. 6 TOs. ugh. Normally the cpu is no problem at all for me and a joke.

6. Subkontraktor

My reactions:

1. Chief's O-Line is aging and was neglected in the past 2 offseasons. It's not helping the run game. Also opponents are stacking the box like crazy against us, so it's forced our hand a bit.

2. Against the Brownies. I had timeouts after his score, but I threw an INT on my second play. If I remember correctly, I got the ball back one more time as well after using all my timeouts, but I was in an even tougher situation there.

3. Bad Boys, wtf?

4. I've tried to watch Inception 4 times and 4 times it has failed. I won't watch it. Because of the movie I've developed a deep hatred for Leonardo DiCaprio. I can't really explain it, it came out of nowhere, but it is a real hatred for his acting abilities. Maybe it had something to do with the guy from 3rd rock From the Sun. I kept waiting for that Frenchie guy to pop out.

5. Best movie of all time: Major League.

7. Subkontraktor

Forgot to mention... fun show... enjoyed it as always.

8. Keller

Sub - how you've failed to watch Inception is beyond me. Maybe you don't like the premise or it takes too long to get rolling for you but for me it is completely unique and fantastically executed. You really should force yourself to watch it because the last 30 minutes or so are just amazing.

Bad boys is a poor pick for a favorite movie - I agree. But Rush has a hard on for it - what can you do.

Major League is about as poor of a choice as Bad Boys.

9. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Inception is good but I think has been overrated... it is not mind blowing as so many like to tag it. I'd have to say Braveheart and the Lord of the Rings movies are my favorites. And then Tommy Boy as my top comedy.

10. Subkontraktor

Maybe I'm trying to watch it too late at night. I like the movies that make you think, but I like watching them when I'm awake too.

There's just also this issue with Leo. Every time I started it I was completely lost because I was only paying attention to my disgust for him.

As far as Major League... I'm also a movie-lover, and I realize that favorite/best movie all time is one of the hardest questions to answer and easiest to argue. Are there certain categories that are off-limits? How do you compare Tommy Boy to Tombstone? You can't.

But there is one solid way I think to tell how good a movie is: The Deserted Island Test.

If you were on a deserted island (and somehow had a DVD player, TV and the electricity needed), and could only have (insert # of movies here) movie, what movie would you take?

If it were 1 movie. I think I would choose Major League.

Other possibilities:
    Top Gun, Independence Day, Talledegha Nights, How High.

It'd be hard to choose 1 from some of the best series: Bonds, Bournes, Mission Impossibiles, Rockys.

11. Keller

I'd probably take a move about how to survive on a desert island - like a "survivor man" show at the very least.

If you rule that out, I'd go with Cast Away, haha. I get that the parallels are quite funny but I really do love that movie.

@Jmustang1968 - some excellent choices and definitely up there for me as well. Though when you say lord of the rings... which one? I think Return of the King was probably my favorite.

Inception is not over rated - its amazing. At the end theres like 5 different plot lines unfolding all at the same time and its just epic.

12. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Major League is a classic, maybe the best sports movie ever made. So it is a good pick, and don't listen to Keller. He likes those movies lol.

Inception is not overrated. It didn't win any kind of major awards (although it should have). The reason it is so good is because it is completely original. Maybe that doesn't count for anything for some people, but sure does for me. There is no movie like it and that is undebatable. It has everything including a great cast and director, they even got Hans Zimmer to do the music and he's the best. The movie makes you think and question things after you watch it, which for me left me thinking about the movie days after seeing it and wanting to see it again. What more can you ask for in a movie? Also, I haven't always been a huge Leo fan, but the guy is a great actor and he makes good movies.

Also, quit hating on Bad Boys. It's been my favorite movie since a kid and I know both movies like the back of my hand. Now understand that I understand that neither Bad Boys could ever be considered the best movies ever made. They are not even close. But just because I think certain movies are better than others doesn't mean they have to be my favorites. Both Bad Boys movies are just special to me and I won't get into why. But the best two movies ever made would be Gladiator and Tombstone in my opinion.

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I agree Inception is good but I would refute amazing or mind blowing or blah blah etc etc... I would probably have to say Fellowship is my favorite of the 3, but its really all one story just chopped up. Where epic trilogies like Star Wars were a little more episodic feeling but similar, I think LOTR can be taken in as a whole.

Other big faves: Pitch Black, Cube, 2001, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Alien & Aliens, Star Wars of course, the good bad and the ugly...

14. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I think part of my issue is that I saw Inception after the hype. So things usually can never live up to the hype. I also read a lot of sci-fi and fantasy books, so stuff from inception is not really all that new or profound to me and such. Compared to some of that stuff, it is fairly mundane but that would be one of the first and best at putting visuals and great effects to the words for sure.

15. Subkontraktor

Leo a great actor? I don't agree so much. I'm no critic either, I can only go off of what I like.

Leo in Titanic = Decent job... blew up because of his looks / charm and all the young girls out there.
    Leo in Catch Me if You Can - his best acting job... great movie.
    Leo in Departed - Great movie, but I think you could have subbed in a bunch of guys for Leo and lose nothing.
    Leo in Inception - He needs to be punched in his scrunched up, dirty pubed face.

Someone needs to call up Kirk Cameron and tell him his little brother sucks.

16. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Alright, wanna talk about movies and spark some debates, I'm game. I know I'm a sick person for having my top 30 list of favorite movies lol. But for me it's fun to compile a list of my favorites. I love movies. The number stands for the rating I gave the movie (1 through 10). I know on sometimes I combine two movies for one spot, like for Bad Boys 1&2, and Terminator 1&2, but it's my list and I can do whatever I want lol. This list was compiled like 7 years ago, and has seen many changes along the way.

1. Bad Boys 1 and 2 – (10)
    2. Gladiator - (10)
    3. Lonesome Dove - (10)
    4. Tombstone - (10)
    5. Batman - (9.9)
    6. The Rock - (9.9)
    7. Training Day - (9.9)
    8. The Dark Knight - (9.9)
    9. Batman Begins - (9.9)
    10. The Departed - (9.9)
    11. Gone in 60 Seconds - (9.8)
    12. Remember the Titans - (9.8)
    13. Man on Fire – (9.8)
    14. Crimson Tide - (9.8)
    15. Enemy of the State - (9.8)
    16. The Karate Kid - (9.8)
    17. Matrix Reloaded – (9.7)
    18. Jerry Maguire - (9.7)
    19. Inception - (9.7)
    20. The Guardian - (9.7)
    21. We Own the Night - (9.7)
    22. T2/T3 - (9.7)
    23. Days of Thunder - (9.7)
    24. Rocky VI - (9.6)
    25. Armageddon - (9.6)
    26. Four Brothers - (9.6)
    27. The Kingdom - (9.6)
    28. The Matrix - (9.6)
    29. Jurassic Park - (9.6)
    30. Major League - (9.6)

Honorable Mentions: Super Bad - (9.5), Step Brothers - (9.5), Wedding Crashers (9.5), Multiplicity (9.5), Old School (9.5), Patch Adams (9.5), Titanic (9.5), Dumb and Dumber (9.5), The Last Samurai (9.5), A Few Good Men (9.5), Collateral (9.5), Money Talks (9.5), Ace Ventura 1 and 2 (9.5), The Hangover (9.4), Mission Impossible III (9.4), Predator (9.4), I Robot (9.4), Hitch (9.4), Transformers (9.4), Rush Hour (9.4), The Replacements (9.4), Inside Man (9.3), Tears of the Sun (9.3), Troy (9.3), The Fast and the Furious (9.3), Friday Night Lights (9.3), Men in Black (9.3), I Spy (9.3), American Gangster (9.3), Live Free or Die Hard (9.3), Rocky III (9.3) Terminator Salvation (9.3)

Movie seen the most in theatre: 3 - Bad Boys II, Four Brothers, Wedding Crashers, The Dark Knight

Favorite Type of Movie: Action-Comedy. I think 98% of all scary movies suck. I love comedies, but I don't see a comedy ever making it high on my list.

Worst movie ever: One Missed Call (It gets a 1 rating, barely)

Worst movie seen in Theater: It's a toss up between The Grudge and Alexander. After the Grudge the whole theater boooo'd, and no one was left in the theater after Alexander, so thats a hard pick.

Biggest flop: Miami Vice. Had high expectations and the movie sucked balls

Movies I really want to see get made: Bad Boys III, Halo, Old School 2, Gone in 60 Seconds 2 (yeah I know Im dreaming on that one lol, the other ones I think have a chance. Nic Cage is too busy making horrible movies to make that one)

Favorite Actor/s: Will Smith. I've seen every one of his movies (that hes acted in) since 1996 in the theater. Thats 14 straight movies. I also like anything with Tom Cruise and Denzel

Favorite Directors: Michael Bay, Christopher Nolen

17. Keller

I wish I had a compiled list but I do not. But lets talk about your list.

Agree with being in the top 30:
    Gladiator, Lonesome Dove (if you consider it a movie), Tombstone, Batman, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Remember the Titans, Jerry Maguire, Inception, Days of Thunder, Rocky IV, Jurassic Park, Matrix Reloaded.

Movies from honorable mention that need to be in your top 30 instead:
    A Few Good Men, Collateral, The Hangover, MI 3, American Gangster, Troy

Movies I would like to highlight/nominate for top 30 consideration:
    Top Gun, LOTR Return of the King, Avatar, Fight Club, Star Wars (dont know which but at least 1 of them), Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart, District 9, Scarface, Lucky Number Slevin, V for Vendetta, Caddyshack, Syriana, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Faster

Worst Movie: Pootie Tang

Movies that need to be made: Halo, Bad Boys 3, Gone in 60 seconds 2, Top Gun 2, Matrix 4

Actor: Tom Cruise

• Like Like x 1
  18. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Movie...

My favorite EPIC movie is Lawrence of Arabia. Peter O' Toole delivers one of the best acting jobs of all time in this movie. LOTR Fellowship of The Ring is probably the best of the three and a close 2nd to O'rence of Arabia.

Best movie of all-time comedy: Something About Marry/ Hangover
    Best movie all-time drama: Silence of The Lambs
    Favorite movie all-time general: anything with Jenna J.;) i'd definetly take one with me to a deserted island.

How about Goodfellas? Man I love that movie.

19. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

I forgot about Faster. Awesome movie that I will have to put in the honorable mentions at some point. Also Forrest Gump should be in there too and possibly Avatar. I see you would have District 9 in your top 30 lol. That gets a... hmmmm. Lol.

20. Keller

I just wanted to mention some movies - not saying they would for sure be in my top 30. District 9 was really good - its about more than just aliens.

21. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

I thought it was different so it was pretty good, but I didn't love it.

I've actually never been big on Braveheart. I know I stand alone on that lol but I never thought it was amazing. It's not bad, but just not that special either. Maybe it's because I'm not a big Mel Gibson fan. -- Luck Number Slevin was not that good, and Syriana was seriously not good and overall pretty boring.

22. Keller

Slevin was great and you just didn't understand Syriana which is why you were bored.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

You forgot Blood Diamond, Shutter Island, Body of Lies. and GONY Leo is possibly the best male lead under 60 years old at the moment.

@Keller and @rushers24 Ditto on Gladiator, both of you should have Casablanca in there. @Subkontraktor Pulp Fiction is in my top 5.

Last man Standing and 12 Monkeys from WIllis are must see films as well. Godfather 2. Jesus there are so many.

24. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Also, how do you get stopped 0-6 on 3rd down and still win???? 3 interceptions, one for a TD.

25. Keller

Haha poor poor seachicken