TMFL Season 2. Read and respond.

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Okay guys, its time. Team selections are final, salary cap spreadsheets are done, the file will be advanced along to the proper spot soon, we're ready for launch. I thought it might be a good idea to give everyone a checklist of what you need to do in order to get an invite.

1. Read the salary cap/roster management thread here. Read the rules and expectations of you here. This is the basis of a lot of what we do so that info is there for you to understand how everything works. Read it. Ask questions if you have any.

2. Check out your spreadsheet to see what your salary cap looks like here. You'll use this sheet to reference your cap number and to see who you want to resign etc etc. Let me know if you have a problem viewing your sheet.

3. We will be having the draft either next Saturday or Sunday afternoon, sometime between 11am and 3pm EST. I realize this interferes with real football but its the best candidate that will work for everyone. PLEASE post in this thread what time works for you. I will accommodate as many people as I can.

4. We will be kicking off the new season on the following Monday. Our first advance will be about 1 week to accommodate free agency then we will advance twice a week, generally in the evening.

5. We will be having a 3 or 4 day free agency period at the launch of the season. You will submit your bids to me every 24 hours. Please read the roster management thread for more details and contact me with questions.

6. We are limiting the amount of trades you can make per season to 3 unless there is a glaring need because of injury or some other extenuating circumstances. Me and Chicken have to update spreadsheets and I don't want to have to keep up with 80 transactions. I'd prefer this to be lower but I don't want to limit owners too much.

7. Create a thread in Roster Management. Something like "Buffalo Bills Season 2" is what we're looking for. Post every transaction your team makes in this thread. Whether it be trades, FA pickups, cuts, whatever.

8. Post in this thread that you've read it. I will not invite you without you first posting here.

Getting your roster ready?
    Okay guys, really simple. You have to do 3 things.

1. Pick 2 players that are 70ovr or better that you want to release after season 2. These can be players with 1 year left or 6 years left, they just have to be over 70 overall. This decision can wait until the playoffs if you want, as long as you make it sometime during season 2. You then make a post in your roster management thread about who these players are. *edit* You designate the players for release and after their release their contract is 100% gone off your cap. *end edit*

2. Decide if there are any players you want to cut. Cut players have their salaries cut in half for the remainder of their contract. Typically you would only cut guys with 1 or 2 years left but you could, in theory, cut a guy with 6 years if you wanted. Just remember that half of his contract remains on the books for all 6 of those years. Post your cuts in your roster management thread.

3. Decide if there are any players that you want to resign, before their contract expires. In theory, you could resign a guy with 4 years left but that doesn't make much sense. Again, use this in certain cases but not all. Essentially you're accelerating a players resigning to Season 2 in order to avoid having to resign him in Season 3. For example, young A potential players with only 1 or 2 years left would be good candidates for resigning. Since players progress every season, you end up paying less for a player that you resign when he is a 84 overall instead of a 90 overall. Additionally, you would be paying his signing bonus in season 2 as opposed to season 3 which may or may not be to your advantage, depending on your situation. You have until Week 8 to make any in-season resign decisions.

Okay, thats all I can think of. I know this is a lot of reading but I need to be thorough to eliminate confusion. Please talk to me if you have questions.

2. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

I've read and understand.

3. Keller

Ah, you're such a model citizen, lol. What about draft times, what works for you?

4. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

where do we see what team we got?

im the chargers in SMFL = in the superbowl

the cardinals in TMFL = in the NFC championship now

and i didnt pick any of them in my top 3 for my choices so i just wanna know who i got ?

5. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

I've read and understand the rules...I would prefer we do the draft sometime early Sunday (try to get as much done as we can before the real NFL games come on.) I'm CST by the way...

One quick question - regarding the two people 70+ we have to release at the end of Season 2:
    1. By 'Season 2', do you mean our first season, or at the end of our second season (since we're starting on Season 2, I just want to clarify.)
    2. Will we be on the hook for the remaining (half) salaries of the two people we're being forced to release??

Thanks,
    JSimms

6. JSimms

JSimms TLY Season 1 Champs!

One additional question - we plan to have a full roster of user-controlled teams, correct??

7. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

Everything sounds good. As for the draft date... I would prefer to have the draft Sat afternoon, but I could do Sunday as well.

8. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Question about the bonus payout for player resigning. I have several 70 guys I want to resign, but it seems their bonus is higher than the salary am I reading this right? Their salary is either $1 or $2 but the bonus is $3. Also is the bonus paid out every year? Or spread evenly over the cours of the contract. Thanks.

9. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

I vote for Saturday early afternoon. 11 am EST?? Works for me.

10. Keller

1. Season 2 means the literal season 2. We are kicking off season 2 right now.
    2. The force releases are sort of a free pass to shore up bad contracts AND to populate FA for season 3 with some decent players. You are NOT forced to pay their salary. You unload the player and the contract 100% after the season.

11. Keller

Its hard to say. I'm not going to turn anyone away, no. At the same time, I don't expect the league to be full unless we add another 10 owners, which I find unlikely.

We can hope, but I doubt 32 teams will happen. Adding a few more is probably likely though.

12. Keller

There is a case where the SB may be higher than a players salary. Signing bonus' are only paid out in the first year. Also keep in mind if the player goes into FA, he does not require a SB. He may get one anyways as a device to outbid another player but it is not required. The disadvantage is that anyone could drive up the players price, however.

13. Keller

Dre please read the other threads in the forum that were recently posted.

14. DreSmithJr

DreSmithJr It Be So EMPTY, WITHOUT ME...

i just saw...

i wont be continuing with TMFL after winning the superbowl in both leagues.

i wanted the jets. winning the championships in BOTH madden leagues didnt get me them. so im gonna bow out. GOOD LUCK with everything ima attempt to go out ON TOP like Jordan.

15. Austin811

Austin811 Go Dbacks!

Winning Championships in both? bro you havent beat me yet, I dont know if you didnt notice, I have the best record in TMFL, You win in the super bowl against me, (if I make it), you have the Jets.

Also Anytime after 1 PM est on saturday would work for me

16. Keller

Winning has absolutely zero to do with getting a team. Reed, don't give up the Jets unless you want to give up the Jets.

17. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

Read and understood. For once, I have a free weekend this week so whatever time works best for everyone else.

18. sibellius

Also I may have missed this somewhere, but for our two 70+ OVR picks for release, does the rule still apply for having to pay out half their salary in the case they have more than a year left?

19. Keller

20. sibellius

Wow my bad only a few posts up. Sounds good.

21. roll2tide

roll2tide Walk On

read it.....Sunday works better for me than Saturday and I prefer before or after prime time no matter which day we go with.

22. Keller

3 votes for saturday, 2 votes for sunday.

23. NateDawg

NateDawg GT- MIZ Nighthawk

Read and understood. Sunday after prime time works best for me because I have a wedding to go to on Saturday night and won't be back until Sunday.

24. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I read and understood, as for the draft time well at the moment Saturday works better for me because the Pats play late sunday night and I don't want to miss there game.

25. Keller

It would be Sunday afternoon nutter.