TMFL Winning for Losers episode 1

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Danthraxxx, Apr 17, 2013.

?

Who is the best on the field in NFC & AFC

1. Philstyle - 2 times AFC Champ

15 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Keller - 2 time playoff member

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Baron - AFC west champ

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Saw - Former NFC east champ , now AFC south member

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Lawdog - defending SB champ , 2 time NFC champ competitor

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  6. AntCap - multiple NFC south champ in 2 files

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  7. Capp - multiple NFC south champ in 2 files

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. Sgt. Jowers - 14-2 last season

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. I Peench - 2 time champ in prior file coming back

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  10. Danthraxxx - 2 time NFW west champ , 3 different teams in 2 files

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  11. bawvu - AFC North multi playoff appearances

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

This is part one of my part two series; both will have polls so please read the instructions. This episode is strictly about the between the lines aspect of TMLF>

This thread is all about who kicks ass on the field, and how they do it. Some guys have good stick skills and make plays, others are good with X’s and O’s and schemes well, some guys are both. From what I hear at least one guy in here has a damn game genie too.

I have listed in this poll that I feel are the better players on the field in TMFL, based on prior records and success. I would like us to vote on who we feel is the best in NFC and AFC on the field. I would like you to post about why you feel the guys you voted for are good on the field, and maybe include an example of what makes them so good in you opinion. After we have that feedback I can ask the better players to address some of the things they do that helps them win, as well as the things they like to avoid.

The competition in TMFL is no joke, and I honestly enjoy good games that are hard fought vs. blowouts. I think if we can try to help some members who struggle we can keep from having some guys drop next cycle, which I think we can all agree has taken some of the steam out of our sail a bit.

lucy-Charlie-Brown-football-580x240.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I have not played anyone on the list.

3. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Well for the record, I've made the playoffs every single season in TMFL, only once of those was wildcard, all other times as AFC West Champ. Made the SB once, and the AFC Title game 3 times.

That said, Philstyle3005 is clearly the best TMFL has to offer. He beat the current SB champ the only time they faced in the playoffs, and won the two previous Super Bowls.

Lawdog got a vote from me as well, because he's a great player, but if I had been limited to one vote, it'd have been Phil.

Phil: Two things that really stand out: 1. Splitting the field defensively. Against me, at least, he never does man align but keeps a LCB and RCB and makes running outside pretty difficult. But somehow manages to take away twin-WR combo routes. So that devil magic should be explained.

2. Vision: He ALWAYS finds the open receiver. And I know this isn't something that can be taught, but he'll always find the guy that is open. He also seems to be one of the few people that can do the playmaker swiftly enough to not get sacked. And then, when you BRING pressure, he, of course, recognizes it and burns you.

3. Run game: REALLY underrated for him, but I don't know if there's anything he does different in this regard.

Just IMAGINE what he could do if he had Tysaun Madison. ;) You're welcome, TMFL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

How many guys am I allowed to vote for? lol

5. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

how ever many you feel the need to , this is for identifying who can maybe help give pointers to the league

7. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I voted for Phil & Ant

When I play and lose a lot of the times I am in the game and had a chance or two but either do not make the plays , or the other guy does. When I have played Phil I felt helpless the entire game. When I sat in man he found the open player , when I was in zone he found the open player , when I blitz he exploits it.... just had zero chance against him defensively.

I also voted for AntCap because I feel like he is exceptional at mixing up his play calling , I could never tell what was coming. I can get a gauge on a guy usually after a few series on what he will do most of the time, but not Ant. I also noticed Ant was good at making adjustments towards what I was doing. I love playing Ant because its always a chess match, but he has always came out on top.

I considered voting for Cap as well, he shut my offense down really well in the old file , hell I think I was under 200 yards total but I ran a very different offense then and I like to think I have improved. I would like to see how I fair now. I also considered voting for Jowers , but the two times I played him I played like ass and made no plays (not taking anything away from the W's he earned, just fact). The thing I noticed about Jowers is he seems to somehow take away the sideline, and middle of the field with his safety play when usering his FS/SS .... I have no idea how he does this.

I also like what Baron does with his 3-4 regarding zone blitz, but I have yet to play him this file to my knowledge. I think Hova and Gravity are good offensively too but at the same time how hard can it be to throw it to the best WR's in the game with QB's with big arms.

8. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

No love for two 13-3 seasons and a SB appearance.

9. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

not personal man ;)

For 1 we don't exactly have a good archieve of records.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baron

More love for the guy who beat you.

11. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

this is not designed to see whose cock is bigger

12. Baron

According to the poll, everyone's been sodomized enough by Phil to already answer that question.

13. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Ant in the NFC and Phil in the AFC

Played most everyone and they are two of the best I have seen.

14. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Wonder who voted for me. I expect a rough return, as I'm pretty rusty. Hopefully I can make a late run at a playoff spot.

15. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I did.

16. Philstyle3005

Philstyle3005 Walk On

I chose Baron and Lawdog. I haven't played Cap or Antcap so I can't judge either of them, but have heard they're really good. Saw is also high on my list. I left Peench off because I haven't played him but once, and it was a while ago when I had just first started playing this years madden really so it's hard for me to really judge him or remember, but I know he's good as well.

Baron- I chose Baron for the simple fact that I always faced him in the playoffs, every season, never failed. Had I of been able to make the playoffs this season, there's a chance we would of met up again.

First time I played Baron, it came down to the very last play. He had a 4th and I believe 4 or 5, down 6? and couldn't convert so I got to knee to end the game. He was very close to scoring so of course the game could have gone either way. The 2nd game, it was closer than the final score would indicate.

What Baron did well was using his mobile QB to make me have to respect his QB running on that read option. I don't think I've stopped it very well yet, and Vick made a killing both games when he used it. His offense as a whole is tough and can score with just about anyone. He's got good user skills as well and can make you pay for a bad throw.

Lawdog- He played one of the best defensive games as far as play calling goes that I can remember. He played great coverage and mixed things up where I just couldn't find the open guys. Mainly why our game will probably be the lowest scoring game a TMFL Super Bowl will ever see. Very good player and very smart with the ball to limit his mistakes. It's been a while since we've played, but those are the two main things I remember about him.

Saw- Best user I've played this cycle. Made some great interceptions against me and his pro style offense is ran very well.

---------------

Now, the other part of this thread. What I like to do, think I'm good at, look for, etc.

This is always my outlook on a game. Just like basketball, I want my defense to create for my offense. Whoever I'm usering, I'm looking to take away your first read. If I do that, I've got you looking for your 2nd WR which can lead to a sack or an interception. If you find the 2nd wr and he's open, then I just continue to do the same thing on the next play. A lot of times I'll take away the first read ( what I think is your first read) and I'll try to move my guy off your first read after I think you've already gone through that progression. If I guess wrong, it can lead to a big play, but if I guess right, it could lead to a turnover. It's high risk/ high reward but it's worked for me and it's what I've always done. I base my defense on creating turnovers more than I do on giving up the least amount of yards

Offensively, I like to read if I'm going against zone or man first thing. The next thing I look for is if I'm going to face a blitz. If I read blitz, I'm looking for a quick route that will get open that I can hit fast and avoid the sack. If I don't read blitz, I feel like I'm going to have time and can wait around for a guy to come open and make the throw. The key to this, DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING. A sack is MUCH better than an interception, even if it's 3rd down and you'll have to punt afterwards. Basically, just play smart and don't let your emotions take control of the game.

Running, I like to mix it up as much as I can and run out of several different formations. I don't run many draws (maybe 3 in my entire time of TMFL) because they're much more effective than they should be. Luckily, that's not the only run they have out of shotgun. They have HB base, power, etc. that can all be effective when you run out of shot gun. Most people expect pass when they see Shotgun and a lot of times you can pick up 4 or 5 yards on the ground, plus it'll help you control the clock. I also like to run out of formations like single back bunch, single back normal, basically just anything that looks like it could be a passing formation. It can catch your opponents in a bad formation, and you can gain a lot of yards. Also when running, if you see your back starting to get tired, sub him out immediately. (It's important to have at least 2 RBs on the team that you're not afraid to give the ball to them in any situation.)

Now back to defense. Mix things up and throw different looks. If you're facing a team that has Larry Fitzgerald at WR, NEVER EVER press him. He's just going to throw your CB to the ground and it's an easy catch and could end up a touchdown. I'll hardly ever press anyone, especially this late in the cycle, because you never know what their release rating is at this point. If you press and they beat it, you're giving up a big play. Giving up a big play means the less time that offense will have the ball. The less time the offense has the ball, the less time they have to make a mistake. I'd rather have a 1 play 95 yard drive than a 18 play 95 yard drive any day of the week. (I know I'm different than a lot of people in that aspect) But in madden, you never know when a freak fumble is going to happen, or when you're going to make a bad throw that's picked off. It happens.

I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head, but if anyone has any questions or anything, you can respond to me, PM me, whatever you want and I'll do what I can to help.

• Like Like x 3
  17. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Danthraxxx You forgot to add that I did win a Super Bowl this cycle :)

I'll came back to this after I get off work!

18. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

I voted for LawDog & Phil.

Very tough process because there are so many high level players, plus the ones not on the list (Hova, Gravity etc...)

I know from playing the NFC boys from Ant to Capp to Law to Hov you have to play a flawless game period. Or suck just a little less than them on that day, because breaks don't come often. Ant, Capp and Law have by far the best user directional passing i've seen. I expect Ryan & Brees to make throws, but wack ass Carson Palmer can sling the rock exceptionally. Everyone listed can also bust your guts with the run game, and have a great defense! I haven't had the opportunity to play many of the AFC boys aside from Baron who was def solid through an through! Phil's record speaks for it's self but he remembers what happened to him in the GMFL superbowl (y). Jokes aside Phil is legit, and with a team like the Pats with his user ability there's a reason he has terrorized the AFC. But constantly game in game out yes the nod goes to Law & Phil, Phil #1 AFC, Law #1A NFC, Ant #1B NFC.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

I voted For Phil and Law. Phil got my vote because in the times I've played him, in GMFL and in TMFL, he beat me soundly not because of the "Madden" advantage but because he out played me in pretty much every aspect of the game, except maybe the return game, ( J. Ford is a beast :happy:) and thats not an easy task. Phil is definitely a top notch dude in my book. Law gets my vote because he used Palmer to win football games, I haven't played him but anyone that can turn trash into treasure gets my vote.

20. Baron

Let's all give a nod to Danthraxxx as well: Ain't nobody going to say he's top tier, but he's definitely got a good discussion going while we wait on the draft!

21. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

I voted for Phil, Ant, and Peench. My honorable mentions are Baron and capp.

Philstyle3005: Him and I go back to the OC games where we had some very good games and just like in the OC when we played here it went down to the final seconds. His offense gets a lot of credit but his defense is exceptional. I cannot brag enough about his defense and it is one of the most underrated defenses we have in the TMFL. I feel I have one of the best running games in the TMFL and it is a pain to try and run against him.

antcap24: We have only played twice, splitting the series, but I voted for him because of his versatility. In game one (at 2am) he was definitely a gun slinger and I was able to capitalize on his mistakes but in game two was I ever surprised. It's not that he made adjustments during our game but he made adjustments to the entire league. Everyone thinks he is going to through and he busts your mouth with his running game. That is what he did and I could not stop it. Defensively he knows what he is doing. The way he users and respects his AI players is off the charts and I'm pretty sure he knows what I'm talking about because his strategy helped in stopping DeMarco.

I Peench: Every time we play I feel like it is two Goliath's fighting to the death. At first he murdered me and at that point it was all psychological until I broke the trance. Ever since then we have had some epic gameplays. Steve is solid all around and he damn near plays perfect every game. Offensively and defensively he is tough to contain because once you think you have made the right adjustments... BAM... he has already made adjustments to counter it. If he makes you frustrated you will not beat him.

Honorable Mentions-
    Baron: THE TEXANS ARE COMING TO GET YOU!!!!!!!!! REMEMBER OREGON STATE?!?!?!?!?! Sorry, I just had too. This year will be our first year playing each other in Madden but knowing how our games went in NCAA I see the same thing happening. I have a ton of respect for his gameplay though.

capp34: I'm just glad we don't have to play each other for awhile! I think it was 5-6 seasons in a row where we played each other and there were some great games.

Look for tips on offense and defense sometime after the draft.

• Like Like x 3
  22. I Peench

You did WORK with that OSU team, with little to no resources (all while Baron's 5* ass complained about some stupid state pipeline glitch). Always a tough game, your running game is the best I've seen in TMFL (well, since bjb's bouncey ass left).

23. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Out of everyone ive played on this list only law is better than me. Ant would be my equal.

24. Baron

Dude. Saw was able to get a Texas pipeline IIRC. And I was bitching not because I wasn't doing work but I had to go up against Bulldog at USC without being able to recruit Texas.

And none of that stopped me from opening a can of whoop ass on you in the Sugar Bowl. So NAH! :p

25. I Peench

1. I was controlling that game until your bullshit internet made us restart.
    2. The RO is so laughably easy in NCAA 13, my dog could've won me games with Berg-hence why I only ran it for 3/4 of a season
    3. 4 Crystal balls? 5? I lost count.
    4. Shutup or I'll turn you into a newt.