To sign or not to sign...

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by BigSmooth33, May 11, 2013.

1. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Lets discuss those potential FA's that you may be on the fence to sign...

In Milwaukee, we are back and forth about resigning two guys.

1) Justin Upton - RF - 31 yrs old - 4*/4*
    Can afford to resign, but I am not sure why I would... Have Parrish, Francis, and Jose Garcia, all younger, cheaper, and significantly better defensively.

2) Phil Wunderlich - 1B - 31 yrs old - 4*/4*
    Probably the tougher decision. Like his consistency at the plate. Hate his glove. Have a few options that could fill in that would be an instant upgrade defensively... Just not sure it's worth the offensive drop off to start Eduardo Rice at 1B.

Interested to see what you all think here and what decisions you have to make this offseason.

2. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

2B Brock Holt is the only guy who may possibly leave the team. He has an $11 million player option for the 2021 season. If he declines it, I am not sure at all if I want to extend him. Maybe 1 year so I can hopefully get a comp pick for him next year. Tough decision in Pittsburgh.

3. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    CF Terrance Gore and LF Hunter Jones are both on the fence and more then likely will be hitting FA. Both are in arbitration and with the emergence of Orlando Ortiz neither are really needed. Especially not in a year where the Padres HAVE to make money.

4. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

SP Madison Bumgarner and LF Jared Mitchell appear to both be headed to free agency. SP Tim Lincecum and CF Matt Kemp both have team options coming up that will probably not be extended. LF Herb Fuller has an arbitration option for $10mln+ that management is looking at closely.

5. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Don't worry guys, all these people that will hit free agency the new owners in Japan will be happy to take a look at and possibly bring to Japan if there willing to convert from Dollars to Yen.

Nippon is on your heels (even tho you have like a ton more money than we do, gotta make a splash somewhere or sometime)

6. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Not Signing

1) SS Danny Espinosa: He was really only a stop gap option for us this year. Once Jon Guisto, Carlos Ramirez, and Jurdao Vob stayed consistent he was only used as a pinch runner and spot starter.

2) MR/CL Bobby Parnell: After acquiring him from Minnesota we knew from there, with his age, that he would not be resigned when his contract ran out. Parnell did a decent job last year but this year really showed his age. Losing speed, stuff and a little on his sinker really hurt him, which lead to a disappointing and frustrating season.

3) C Hector Sanchez: Was a very late offseason pick up since the Catcher we were going after signed with a different team. Sanchez really did not do much putting a strain on starter Jason Castro.

On the border

1) C Jason Castro: His production dropped slightly from last year but looking at the past four years he has flipped flopped. One year he did well and then the next he stunk it up. If anything the Dodgers may sign him for one year while continuing to watch their catchers in the minors.

2) MR Drew Smyly: Smyly was pretty much the only consistent arm we had in the pen. He definitely did a great job coming in on spot starts and with MR being groomed in the minors we may sign him for another year.

7. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notable:

Ryan Zimmerman: He will all but be let go, unless he takes a much considerable pay cut.
    Rafael Perez: He has already announced that he will retire.
    Curt Agan: No timetable has been set on his contract negotiations, we will most likely wait until arbitration is in session.
    Nicholas Struck: A wait and see period for him to see if he can keep his effectiveness.
    Marcos Soto: Might have to end up signing him to be a stop gap, even though he is one our favorite players in the organization.

8. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

SP Max Scherzer has endured some hard times in the #TeePeeTankJob, but things are beginning to look up for the club as Demo Canales, Franky Rios, and Elmer Grier all appear to be Bigs ready. The Tribe could have a well rounded rotation if they choose to keep Scherzer. However, Scherzer is in the last few years of his career and would like the stability of a 3-4 year deal and the Tribe only feel comfortable offering him a one year deal. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

RP Sergio Romo shook off the critics who felt he was washed up and would never have a healthy season again. Well the 37 year old reliever proved everyone wrong throwing one of his best seasons of his career going 10-6 with 2 saves in the set up role for the Tribe. He also threw a career high 92 innings out of the pen. Sergio however is on the back end of his 30's and the Tribe really don't think lightning will strike twice, so you will likely see Romo sporting the colors of at least one more franchise before he hangs up his spikes.

9. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Copycat! :p

10. Confucius Rex

Confucius Rex Walk On

Not Returning

• Brett Jackson: Jackson posted a .220 batting average over two years with the A's. It safe to say that he will not be returning.
    • John Ely: Ely performed decently in 2019, collapsed to at 6.12 this season. At 34 years old it seems that Ely has reached the point of no return as his ratings continue to fall in every category and his pitch repertoire deteriorates. He ended the season with a torn labrum.
    • Jemile Weeks: Weeks has played his entire career with the Oakland Athletics, but since turning 30 his production has dropped off. The A's have younger and more able shortstops in the wings so Weeks will become a FA.
    On the bubble
    • Chris Perez: In 2019, Perez had a 7.43 ERA over 66.2 innings with the Rangers. Texas chose not to resign him. But Oakland saw that this season was an aberration, signed Perez, and was rewarded with a solid season posting a 3.04 ERA. But Perez will be 36 next year and it isn't clear how long he will keep his level of play up. The outcome of negotiations will determine whether or not Perez will be in green next season.

11. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I don't really have any tough decisions this offseason. I'll be letting Medlen, Burnett, Cardenas, and Pastornicky walk and will probably let loose a couple of arby guys to shore up the payroll. There will be nobody that I resign this season outside of a couple guys in arbitration that I might try to sign long term. As of right now it's looking like I'll have about $14M in expenses cut for next season with no big name losses.

12. goldenglove2

goldenglove2 Walk On

My all-everything Brodie Greene is my only guy really. I am going to let him go to FA as he is a compensation player, and is probably on the downside of his career. Love his versatility though, and it will be missed.

13. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Uchiyama > Jack Elliott

14. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    The Rockies have decided to decline the team option and void the contract of SP Gio Gonzalez. We didn't really want to part ways with Gio as he has been our best pitcher, but faced with a decreased budget, a player not living up to his salary, and a player that is starting to regress, it was the decision that had to be made.

• Like Like x 2