Tonight's advance

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by jello1717, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Tonight's advance

I'm very anxiously awaiting our advance tonight. I'm #1 on 2 bonus recruits (including the last :5stars: guy left) and my interest bar is full on them both. One of the guys (a :4stars: SS) has had me #1 and a full interest bar for a couple of weeks now. If I don't sign these 2 kids this week, I don't think I'll get them at all. I think Oklahoma (or some other big named school) is slated to have one kid visit next week while the other one is scheduled to visit the drunken Irish next week. I'm pretty sure that if they're allowed to visit those 2 schools next week that I'll lose them both. Personally, I think it's rude for Dat to be recruiting the same guys as I am. Go away! You've got plenty of good recruits already. Go somewhere else!

Here's hoping that Campbell and Williams finally come to their senses and decide to make Ann Arbor their new home this week!(y)

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Keep those guys away from my opponents and that will be just fine with me. :D

3. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

LOL you guys are too much. Good luck with your recruits. Hope you pull everyone you can from Ohio State.

4. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Jello, if you close out on all the guys you're leading for, I think you'll have the top class up north (may not beat out Florida). You'll have a very good chance to land 4 bonus recruits.

Plus you've gotten the best of ND so far head to head. There are 3 guys you're full bar and #1 on, and I'm full bar and #2. Painful to lose those after putting in so much time - it already happened on the punter. The SS, Williams, was my most wanted player (I have 0 returning, and he's #50/bonus). However, as a last ditch effort I bumped up my visit from Wendell Campbell (#1DT; #30) to the USC game this week because I didn't think he'd last another week. Hoping I have a shot to jump you on him.

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Dat, I feel your pain regarding the SS position for ND. I am the beloved in another OD, and luckily I have landed/should land the #1, #7, and #15 strong safeties. We obviously have no recruiting restrictions to deal with, but having both guys leave after this year is panic mode for sure.

6. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I'm in good position with the #9 SS, but I need to sign at least 2, and one of them probably needs to start. I have a FS that could play there, but he'd be about a 78 ovr.

I don't think I have a very good shot at Williams at this point. I've gone after him hard every week, but I think Jello is too.

7. jello1717

Damn you!!! I really don't think I can survive having Campbell visit you, and having him visit during a rivalry game (luckily for you ND has about 17 rivalry games per year I think) means that he's likely a shoe in for you. (n)

The SS is funny. I went after him hard because I needed some depth @ SS for my 3-3-5 defense. Well, after your team completely shredded my 3-3-5 I've decide to go with a 4-3/3-4 defense instead so now, with 3 returning strong safeties, I don't even need that guy anymore. That's really bad news about Campbell though. I'm gonna miss that guy. And I hear ya on how much it sucks losing someone you put so much time into. I've poured hours into Campbell and last week I finally got past USC, and it looks like it'll be to no avail.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I thought the 3-3-5 had an extra corner, not an extra safety. I thought the 4-2-5 was the one with the extra SS playing up.

Anyway, if you don't want to give up having the extra guy forward, you could try the 4-2-5. It was my user v. user D last year, and it worked well. This year, though, it looks like base defenses are a bit tougher, so I'm playing the pro-style 3-4.

9. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I'll tell you what. If you're that convinced I'm getting Campbell, and you don't need Williams, I'll drop Cambell and you drop Williams, and we'll both be happy. How does that sound?

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Holy collusion Batman!

11. jello1717

A 3-3-5 is:
    2DE + 1 DT
    2 OLB + 1 MLB
    2 CB + 1 FS + 2 SS

It's the same thing as a 4-2-5 except the 4-2 has 2 DT and 1 OLB and the 3-3-5 has 1 DT and 2 OLB.

I play the 4-2-5 for other teams but it has some serious issues in my book.

1. I only get to play 1 OLB and it's usually easy to field a team of studly OLBs. My current team has 6 of them, none of whom will graduate.

2. For man coverages, especially against 3 WR sets, the slot guy is usually covered by someone who won't actually move over to cover him. IE. Maybe it's a LB who stays in the middle of the field, a good 5-10 yards away from the guy he's covering.

3. It's supposed to be the best run stopping defense, but I can't seem to make that work. I get guys running all over my 4-2-5 quite often.

Other than that, I like the 4-2-5, but I'm liking the multiple D more so far. I like being able to switch back and forth between 4-3 and 3-4 (I have lost of good front 7 guys) and I like the 4-6 too. The only bad things I don't like about it are:
    1. I only have 2 4-3 and 2 3-4 formations, and not many plays in them. My special nickle defense is the 1-5-5 which I'm told is really cheesy so I wouldn't use it.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I was playing Multiple D for a while (I hear my Bucks will play 4-3 and 3-4 this year, so I wanted to do the same, but I didn't like the lack of choices in the 4-3 and 3-4. It's a nice defense, but I decided to go with the straight 3-4. Plus, I really like the 2-4-5 Nickel set, and I'm finding ways to use it here and there. You're right, though, the more gimmicky defenses seem a lot more vulnerable this year.

13. jello1717

SCORE!

I signed the :4stars: bonus SS and the :5stars: bonus DT who visited ND last week has given me a soft commitment!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

14. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Nice going ...

You'll need 'em :biggun:

15. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

You sandbaggin' son of a....

Congrats on Williams and the soft commit on Campbell. I see you on the #2 WR too. Did none of these guys watch the ND-Michigan game?

I'm about to miss out on another 4* bonus guy (a Tackle, I think to Florida) where I'm #2 and I have the bar completely full. My class will be fine (no complaints) but I sure have come in a close 2nd more than I'd like.

Now that it appears I'll only get one bonus guy this year (with an undefeated team, only 11 scholarships to fill, and 15 rivalry games on the schedule), can we all take it easy on the whole "Dat loves this recruiting system because ND will dominate" thing?

16. jello1717

Yeah. Big time! With the way this season started out recruit-wise, I thought I would have a terrible class. But now the kids have started listening to my pitches though and the Escalades and apartments have started flowing so I'm finally getting some interest.(y)

I've wanted to go with a full on 3-4, but I have too much beef in the middle to go with a 3-4 full time. This will be especially true if Campbell signs with me. Right now, my DT depth chart looks like this:

Year OVR HT WT
    SO 89 6'2 291
    FR 87 6'5 330****
    JR 84 6'4 305

That FR would make one hell of a NT for a 3-4, but I couldn't bench the SO. If I stay with a 4 man front I'll have those top 2 guys (who will be beasts next year) with the JR and Campbell to back them up. That's too much to pass on to play a 3-4.